HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Need a goon?

Old
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Reuben

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
We need a goon badly and not a middleweight like Downey or Langdon, we need a heavyweight that specializes in beating the holy hell out of people. Andre Roy would be perfect, he's big, tough, mean and he's got personality.
I dont think Roy would fly with carbo. way too much of a hot head. imo. he's too out of control and takes dumb totally uneccessary penalties. If carbo could reign him in a little bit it might work.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Goon? this is hockey not WWF

two guys playing 9 mins a game fighting together i dont call this real hockey

Goons
Its a part of hockey whether you like it or not, and I enjoy watchin hockey fights.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Once Kovalev or Plekanec gets concussed by an elbow to the head, the anti-goon people will change their minds. Our skill guys need protection.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Goons make no difference. They don't stop dirty players from hitting people from behind, they don't stop pests from running their mouth, all they do is fight other goons and take up a roster spot.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrazzel View Post
Its a part of hockey whether you like it or not, and I enjoy watchin hockey fights.
and it's not like the only thing they do out there is fight. they hit, bring energy, stick up for there teamates and in some cases they can be an intimidation factor. it's good for the skill players knowing they have someone who can handle the opposition enforcer if things go over the line.
people who think there only purpose is to fight are wrong and need to broaden there perspective. since we haven't had legit enforcer since i dunno how long perhaps some people don't understand what they can bring to table and how they can impact and game and our team Pysche.

Old
02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
This goon is so monstruous, he's the kind of player I'd like to see as our #7th defenceman, dressed for all the games but playing only between 5 to 10 minutes a game. With him, Bouillon, Kosto and Komi will be able to concentrate on playing hockey.

And if Tampa Bay has won a Stanley Cup with Andre Roy taking stupid penalties on a regular basis, why wouldn't a real goon fit with the habs ?
Defenseman ???

Worrell will already not be that usefull exept in the pugilistic department (That's a one side, no offence, defence, only violence type of goon) and you want the Habs to **** our defenceman pairing ? He will be waaaaay more useful on a 4th line than a random 7th D-men spot.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Once Kovalev or Plekanec gets concussed by an elbow to the head, the anti-goon people will change their minds. Our skill guys need protection.
Not only they need protection but a goon in the line-up growns every player by 2 inches.

We're gonna get DESTROYED in playoffs against a team like NYR, without a goon who can take care of Avery's jaw.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Goons make no difference. They don't stop dirty players from hitting people from behind, they don't stop pests from running their mouth, all they do is fight other goons and take up a roster spot.
Goons do make a difference for all the reason Reuben pointed out. I'm sure Jagr, Gomez, Drury, etc appreciate having Orr in the lineup for protection, and I'm sure Shanahan appreciates him as well, with a designated tough guy on the team, he doesn't need to fight and can concentrate on scoring.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Really? Gretzky barely got touched in his career. I wonder why that is? it couldn't be because of Semeko,McSorley and others could it? why do you guys have Colton Orr anyhow might as well waive since he pretty much useless right? we'll take him off your hands.
Pittsburgh got Laraque, guess there was no logic behind that either. no enforcer's can't stop players from commiting dirty plays but you can bet they'll be held accountable at some point in time and next time they may actually think twice about it or they can simply start taking runs at the oppenants better players as response instead.

what's funny is enforcers often times don't even have to fight to keep people in line depending on who they are.
if your oppenent has an enforcer/goon dressed i think you absolutely need to counter that.

Old
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Count me in with the goonies. Look at the Hollweg hit on S. Kostitsyn. That could have resulted in a major injury, luckily it didn't. Anyone think he'll be worried the least bit next time he plays the Habs, or that he would hesitate to do the same sort of thing again? Of course he isn't worried, and yes, he would do the same again. The Habs need to acquire a top notch enforcer.

Hockey is a balance of powers game. If the other teams cannot contain the Habs offensive abilities you know that some of them will not hesitate to use goon tactics to put the team off its game.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Count me in with the goonies. Look at the Hollweg hit on S. Kostitsyn. That could have resulted in a major injury, luckily it didn't. Anyone think he'll be worried the least bit next time he plays the Habs, or that he would hesitate to do the same sort of thing again? Of course he isn't worried, and yes, he would do the same again. The Habs need to acquire a top notch enforcer.

Hockey is a balance of powers game. If the other teams cannot contain the Habs offensive abilities you know that some of them will not hesitate to use goon tactics to put the team off its game.

What would the best enforcer in the world have done to Hollowig? He got tossed from the game so unless that goon played with Kostitsyn(unlikely) he wouldn't have been able to do much.

Chris Simon is a feared player and Hollowig ran him from behind. Dirty players will always be dirty players...but you have to make them pay if they do something.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
Defenseman ???

Worrell will already not be that usefull exept in the pugilistic department (That's a one side, no offence, defence, only violence type of goon) and you want the Habs to **** our defenceman pairing ? He will be waaaaay more useful on a 4th line than a random 7th D-men spot.
Does he still play hockey? He went to the ECHL maybe 2 years ago and I think his career is over.

Anyway, those big guys don't do much in a game, David Clarkson however does it all.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
emb24*

Matt walker is available

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13137

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What would the best enforcer in the world have done to Hollowig? He got tossed from the game so unless that goon played with Kostitsyn(unlikely) he wouldn't have been able to do much.

Chris Simon is a feared player and Hollowig ran him from behind. Dirty players will always be dirty players...but you have to make them pay if they do something.
My point is that next time he plays against Montreal the Habs players will be intimidated, because in the back of their minds they know that if they play a physical game Hollweg can and will apply his own version of a physical game. He may very well end up getting kicked out of the game, but he will have completely disrupted the Habs game flow in the process.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Quote:
Goons do make a difference for all the reason Reuben pointed out. I'm sure Jagr, Gomez, Drury, etc appreciate having Orr in the lineup for protection, and I'm sure Shanahan appreciates him as well, with a designated tough guy on the team, he doesn't need to fight and can concentrate on scoring.
Colton Orr didn't stop Komisarek from laying monster hits on Jagr all day on Sunday. Even if the Habs had George Laraque who is the toughest fighter in the NHL it wouldn't stop Ryan Hollweg from doing what he did to Sergei Kostitsyn, Hollweg is in the NHL because he hits everyone all the time, he doesn't just hit small players, he hits enforcers like Chris Simon, he hits stars like Vinny Lecavalier who have an enforcer like Andre Roy in their lineup, if he stopped playing that game he would lose his spot in the NHL. Same thing with a guy who runs his mouth like Sean Avery, he's not afraid of enforcers he loves to draw tough guys into taking penaltys and is willing to take some punches to do it. The Habs have a better deterrent against these type of players then a goon, they have the best powerplay in the NHL.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Drive425

Give me Derek Boogaard any day. The Boogieman is a monster!!!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:41 PM
yohan1212

I am an outsider looking in (B's fan at that) and i would have to agree you guys need a designated goon. You have alot of feisty players such as komi, lappierre etc whou would probably play alot chippier if they had a fighter backing them up. I was ecstatic when Lucic made the B's roster even though he currently is not a top HW in the league but can skate,hit and play. He will probably be a monster for years to come. If you are looking, whats wrong with Bonneau? i watched him in the Q and not many people wanted to fight him. Will he ever make the big show in Montreal?

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
I am an outsider looking in (B's fan at that) and i would have to agree you guys need a designated goon. You have alot of feisty players such as komi, lappierre etc whou would probably play alot chippier if they had a fighter backing them up. I was ecstatic when Lucic made the B's roster even though he currently is not a top HW in the league but can skate,hit and play. He will probably be a monster for years to come. If you are looking, whats wrong with Bonneau? i watched him in the Q and not many people wanted to fight him. Will he ever make the big show in Montreal?
I doubt it, Bonneau has a tough time getting ice time for our AHL team... He is a great fighter, but worthless as a hockey player. He sucks even at the AHl level

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Istvan

I wonder what the result would be if the Hab players had an anonymous poll about getting a "goon/enforcer" type of player.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
me too, i'd kill to have the Boogeyman with the Habs, i'm sick and tired of the Habs getting cheapshot, i'm sick and tired of guys yelling at our bench saying saying they'l beat us up if we hit them, i'm sick and tired of Komisarek running away because he's too valuable to the team, i'm sick and tired hearing people say, wow Bouillon went at it with X and Y. We need an enforcer, it's just that simple, how long until Kovalev gets elbowed right to the head and gets a concussion ( it almost happend againts the Flyers and the Bruins). People who don't like fighting should just stick to figure skating imo, not only is it a historic part of hockey cause every remembers the big scraps, it makes an excellent show and it's the #1 way to protect your stars, no one except Komisarek gets in faces of Jagr, Lecavalier, Sundin, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. etc.. At 6'8 and 275 pound Boogard would be an ideal choice and an instant fan favourite.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Does he still play hockey? He went to the ECHL maybe 2 years ago and I think his career is over.

Anyway, those big guys don't do much in a game, David Clarkson however does it all.
Yeah I think he dosent play anymore. Even if he have superstar potential in the North American Hockey League.

Some people says he felt into drugs, but no proofs of that.

Old
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Worrel is as big ansd as tough and costs nothing. Minnesota would want a 2nd rounder or a guy like O'byrne for him.

Old
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I would like to see the Habs getting Derek and Aaron Boogaard. They both play LW and RW. So put a Begin or Kostopoulos on the 4t between them and we wont be physically challenged anymore.

Old
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I would like to see the Habs getting Derek and Aaron Boogaard. They both play LW and RW. So put a Begin or Kostopoulos on the 4t between them and we wont be physically challenged anymore.

Adding a goon doesn't necessarily make you a physical team. You need guys that can produce AND be physical with and without the puck.

Old
02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

We also won't be able to play our fourth line, EVER, anymore. That line could end up a -2 in only 4 minutes on the ice.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote