HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Insider says....

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 10:05 PM
RGF

vCash: 500
ESPN Insider says....

"Sather has overseen the rapid decline of the rangers farm system to the point where there are no quality prospects ready to make an impact in the near future."

is this a legitimate accusation//? im on the fence. we have tyutin, moore, ortmeyer, one day murray, and lundmark and hereema can help...

blackburn

and on D we have no one, i think thats where their analysis is correct..we have some intriguing ones still in college, but we dont have enough stud defenseman in the farm system--i think are forwards are good enough for now, bc well never be calling 4 to 5 up a year...but D i think we need that depth we have at F

Old
01-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF
"Sather has overseen the rapid decline of the rangers farm system to the point where there are no quality prospects ready to make an impact in the near future."

is this a legitimate accusation//? im on the fence. we have tyutin, moore, ortmeyer, one day murray, and lundmark and hereema can help...

blackburn

and on D we have no one, i think thats where their analysis is correct..we have some intriguing ones still in college, but we dont have enough stud defenseman in the farm system--i think are forwards are good enough for now, bc well never be calling 4 to 5 up a year...but D i think we need that depth we have at F

Tyutin is a defenseman.

Old
01-27-2004, 10:49 PM
TXNYR

Lampman is too. Supposely, was going to even make the team before the injury.

Old
01-27-2004, 11:00 PM
RGF

right i know those guys are--sorry for making it unclear, theyre the only 2, but i just included them with the guys who are serviceable players that have pretty good skills...then i broke it down---our offense has more potential than our D--def'ly need a big draft for more Dmen to complement tyutin, and the futures of baranka taylor and geunin...

Old
01-27-2004, 11:03 PM
rangers

Henrik Lundqvist? I feel he is heavily overlooked when it comes to our prospects. The kid is awesome!

Old
01-28-2004, 12:25 AM
NYR469

this is partially true, but it is also exagerated by leaving some details out...

the rangers don't have any elite prospects ready to step in right now because blackburn & tyutin are hurt, lundqvist is still in europe and guys like jessiman & dawes are still a few years away...

guys like moore, murray and lampman are good prospects that are ready or close to being ready, but they aren't 'blue-chippers'

so the rangers don't have any 'blue-chippers' that are ready to step in today, but they do have some 'blue-chippers' that could be in the nhl in the next 2-3 years

Old
01-28-2004, 05:03 PM
kazo

The Rangers never look at young players with a view towards furthering their development at the NHL level. Inotherwords, they might look at players like Moore or Murray and say these guys might be good enough right now to play in the NHL but we think they have more potential than that so they keep them buried in the minors That approach can retard their development.

Cam Neely was a sclassic example of a young player who started out as a 4th line player who was very physical, had raw talent but needed time in the NHL to learn how to play. The philosophy here is that only when a player is ready to play at his full potential, and only then, is a player allowed to step into the lineup on a fulltime basis. Often you never know you have a "blue chipper" or diamond in the rough until you allow him to play. One reason why we always wind up with the Rheaumes' of the world.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Edge

Good example on the Neely front.

Here is an even better one and hits closer to home; Mark Messier.

Take one look at his early pro career and it really is amazing that he is now the number 2 alltime scorer.

Having said that, prospects dont always have value playing with you. They have value for trades and depth. There has to be a happy balance between keeping enough youth to challange for spots and using youth as pieces to build a bigger picture with through trades.

This team has failed to find that balance.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
this is partially true, but it is also exagerated by leaving some details out...

the rangers don't have any elite prospects ready to step in right now because blackburn & tyutin are hurt, lundqvist is still in europe and guys like jessiman & dawes are still a few years away...

guys like moore, murray and lampman are good prospects that are ready or close to being ready, but they aren't 'blue-chippers'

so the rangers don't have any 'blue-chippers' that are ready to step in today, but they do have some 'blue-chippers' that could be in the nhl in the next 2-3 years
Agreed, the Rangers have several players who could make it to the NHL if things continue to progress...

Nigel Dawes, F: Has been a scoring demon in the WHL and had a strong WJC for the Canadian team. Knock against him of course his size, and that will be something we'll see if he can overcome with his play.

Jan Marek, F: Reportedly almost signed with the Rangers in the off-season, but elected to stay in the Czech republic. He could well be here next season (if there is one), having another strong season, and may be a late bloomer.

Nate Guenin, D: Finished his freshman season as one of the best d-men in the CCHA and has added some offense this year. Nickname is "Nasty" and although he looks a little unorthodox, he could be a keeper.

Jake Taylor, D: Has progressed slowly with the Golden Gophers in his first year, but is starting to settle down. Not an offensive type, but not afraid of using the body. This is his first year in the NCAA, so we'll have to keep an eye on him.

Ivan Baranka, D: Stuck on an expansion team (Everett Silvertips), Baranka hasn't perhaps progressed as much as you'd like...but there's still potential there.

Others I'd continue to watch are Corey Potter...a defensive defenseman...not flashy, maybe in the Jeff Finley type mould.

Ken Roche, has a nice shot and got off to a great start with BU before he slowed down.

Joey Crabb...a pesky winger who found some scoring touch this season...like a Todd Harvey kind of player

Even Chris Holt might be a worthwhile goaltending prospect if the Mavericks ever improve in front of him...

Old
01-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Edge

And almost that entire list are fringe players.

Having seen them all this season {the north american one's} there are only few kids in there whom I honestly believe have a descent shot at the NHL.

Dawes, Guenin, Roche and Baranka have shots and of those 4 Dawes is the only one with legit top two line potential.

That's not a slam on a lot of these kids, but i really havent seen the high end potential in many of them.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I think that the Rangers system is underrated
The Hockey News ranked Tyutin at #14, Jessiman at #47, Moore at #56, Lundqvist at #63. Four in the top 100, if my math is correct, that's above average

Old
01-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Edge

Tjutin is high risk high reward as is Jessiman.

They could be the the future top defenseman and star winger or the team or be a journeyman defenseman and a minor league forward. it's 50/50

Moore is already closing in on 24 and and Lunqvist has little to no desire to play for this team.

and 4 prospects doesnt make this team above average for two very important reasons.

1. the drop off after them is HUGE

2. They aren't joining any fresh players already with the rangers. They aren't joining two or three young players up with the big club, they are it.

I think the rangers biggest problem is that they don't have top level talent. and they have little or no pieces to trade.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Barnaby

It's too bad Tyutin went down. He could have gotten a serious chance with all the defenseman on the big club getting hurt.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:30 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
It's too bad Tyutin went down. He could have gotten a serious chance with all the defenseman on the big club getting hurt.
with kaspar out, i wouldnt be surprised to see him at least called up once his knee is better.
he can't be more than 3 weeks away...DeVries says he is only a week or two away, and they both have the same injury.

Closed Thread