HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something going down today?

Old
02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
rawrmachine

vCash: 500
Something going down today?

According to Strickland on the radio, alot of activity at scott trade today. Sounds like it is bigger than just a re-signing of Salvador...

rawrmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
rawrmachine

and now JR says that JD said nothing is going on. So it looks like it was just a lot of smoke.

rawrmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
txbluesfan44

AS just announced that Walker has asked to be traded and that they're getting closer to re-signing Salvador, that's it, nothing earth-shattering as had been speculated.

txbluesfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Irish Blues

People showed up at Scottrade for a free taco. It was later explained that ticketholders got a free taco only if the Blues scored 5 goals, not if any team scored 5 goals. It was also clarified that the Blues had to actually be credited with 5 goals on the scoreboard, not score 5 goals into any net.

02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbluesfan44 View Post
AS just announced that Walker has asked to be traded and that they're getting closer to re-signing Salvador, that's it, nothing earth-shattering as had been speculated.
Simply freaking WOW!!!!!

A guy who has not gotten the opportunity to play in more that a handful of games this season has asked for a trade to a team that would actually put him in a game. Walker is not a stud or anything like that, but this guy deserves to get into a game. He has just lost a full season of his career, even thou not a great one. But this is not breaking news or team altering news, this was a simple waste of my time and every other Blues fans who has a knack for checking the internet to see if anything happened during the day.

Strickland is no different that the guys on ESPN, useless!!!

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
People showed up at Scottrade for a free taco. It was later explained that ticketholders got a free taco only if the Blues scored 5 goals, not if any team scored 5 goals. It was also clarified that the Blues had to actually be credited with 5 goals on the scoreboard, not score 5 goals into any net.

That's ****ed up man! IMO, this taco promo is not marketing at its best. I understand the Blues need to offset excessive overhead for a promotion that can wind up costing a lot of money. It's costly, not just in tacos, but in the human and associated resources needed to successfully execute the promotion.

But to argue whether it's more cost-effective to fulfill the promotion during the game or the next day is silly. It would be much less expensive to have available pre-printed vouchers for one free taco at Taco Bell (blecchh) or wherever for the fans leaving as they're exiting the arena.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I am rather ticked off, Walker has given his heart and soul for this team and we dont give him the light of day. He plays better than Backman and on most nights, Jackman and Brewer. But he sits. Its annoying because I dont think anyone would do what he did for this team. He has stuck with this team, fighting for the chance to play. Putting his heart out there when it is needed most, and then we treat him like crap! Good luck Walker. Wherever you go.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
I am rather ticked off, Walker has given his heart and soul for this team and we dont give him the light of day. He plays better than Backman and on most nights, Jackman and Brewer. But he sits. Its annoying because I dont think anyone would do what he did for this team. He has stuck with this team, fighting for the chance to play. Putting his heart out there when it is needed most, and then we treat him like crap! Good luck Walker. Wherever you go.
It was just bad timing for Walker. We already have three stay at home Dman who all bring more offensively and defensively than him. And he has 0 upside, and is too old to fit somewhere into our rebuilding. I wish him luck, and he should be a decent 5th-6th Dman somewhere in the league.

Do we just put him on waivers? I doubt anyone would give anything for a 28 year old 6th-7th defensemen who is a FA after the season and is disgruntled with his current situation.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I like Walker, he obviously loves to play. He has a great attitude. I'm always cheering for him to score his first goal when he winds up in the offensive zone.

You can't blame him for wanting to go to a team where he'll get some icetime. But he won't really be missed. The way the NHL has evolved, players like Walker need to block a lot of shots. I think Jackman has looked really bad lately, but that's one area in which he dominates Walker. So sure, Walker doesn't make many boneheaded plays and he keeps it simple, but he also doesn't bring anything special to the mix. Learning to block shots like the rest of the defense would be a start.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
HockeyHooligans
PetranJello 4 Norris

Great trade him, he's dead weight on our rebuild. Taking up a roster spot for Woywitka, Polak, Wagner. He's a good positional D man but he's too slow, and can't pass. He'd be great in the old NHL but not today.

HockeyHooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
TrustInJarmo*

If we happened to lose Salvador to free agency, and if we trade Jackman (like I think we will in the next 3 weeks) and if we want to free up payroll and trade Mckee.

Than I think at that point Walker could become very valuable to us as a 5th/6th d-man for next season.

Because we go from a bundle of stay at home physical D to, possibly, no one besides Polak (who hasn't even played in the NHL in a year).

We would only have Backman, Brewer, EJ, Woywitka, Wagner and no true stay at home physical d man.

Remember, that is a lot of "ifs" about Salvador, Jackman and McKee....but that could very well happen by this summer.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I would bank on us signing Salvy. I don't see McKee going anywhere. We certainly need some stay-at-home d-men..McKee, Salvy and Polak should be enough though. I still think we really need a #1 d-man though, at the minimum a #2 cause I don't see one on this team, if we are looking toward the playoffs.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I would bank on us signing Salvy. I don't see McKee going anywhere. We certainly need some stay-at-home d-men..McKee, Salvy and Polak should be enough though. I still think we really need a #1 d-man though, at the minimum a #2 cause I don't see one on this team, if we are looking toward the playoffs.
I think chances are good that we re-sign Salvador OR/AND we keep McKee.

But will Bryce NOT cash in to stay with the Blues? I want to keep McKee but will ownership NOT ship him out if a great deal is in place??

I am just saying...as much as people are bashing on Walker...in just as little as 5 months...he could fill a big hole at a small price.

I 100% agree with you on the #1/#2 D-man.

That is why I didn't want Brewer locked up this time last year....because though a good d-man at times...he is NOT a top 2-man.

Old
02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I think chances are good that we re-sign Salvador OR/AND we keep McKee.

But will Bryce NOT cash in to stay with the Blues? I want to keep McKee but will ownership NOT ship him out if a great deal is in place??

I am just saying...as much as people are bashing on Walker...in just as little as 5 months...he could fill a big hole at a small price.

I 100% agree with you on the #1/#2 D-man.

That is why I didn't want Brewer locked up this time last year....because though a good d-man at times...he is NOT a top 2-man.
I doubt Walker takes that chance though.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I doubt Walker takes that chance though.
I agree. Walker is all but gone.

So if my scenario does come true...we could be hurting for a cheap stay at home D-man like Walker next season.

Old
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
txbluesfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
So if my scenario does come true...we could be hurting for a cheap stay at home D-man like Walker next season.
Polak? Hopefully getting more minutes, but he's cheap and a stay at home.

txbluesfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbluesfan44 View Post
Polak? Hopefully getting more minutes, but he's cheap and a stay at home.

"Because we go from a bundle of stay at home physical D to, possibly, no one besides Polak (who hasn't even played in the NHL in a year)."

I like Polak...but that doesn't mean he will produce year in year out in the NHL. At least Walker has shown he can somewhat do that as a 5th/6th d-man.

Old
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Robb_K

The Blues aren't going to fail to sign Salvador, trade Jackman, and still trade McKee. A fantastic overpayment for McKee and his $million salary is not going to happen. The Blues will resign Salvy, trade Jackman, and keep McKee. polak will be able to make the roster next season. Walker will not be a crucial piece of the puzzle. But, I agree. The Blues should pick up a veteran offensive defenceman.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post
Do we just put him on waivers? I doubt anyone would give anything for a 28 year old 6th-7th defensemen who is a FA after the season and is disgruntled with his current situation.
A cheap stay-at-home type 6th defenceman? Ottawa could give a mid/late round pick for him unless they plan on going after someone like Blake or Stuart.
It's always good to have a little depth for the playoffs.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Quaz

Theres always a chance that Hellstrom and or Junland could be a stay at home type depth defensemen that we have at Peoria should there be any injuries next year. Ian Cole is probably 2 years away. We could always go out and find a stay at home type through free agency this summer, or make a minor deal to fill in the depth chart.

I still think that we will have one of Jackman or Salvador, most likely Salvador returning next year anyways.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
c-carp

I like Walker as well and wish him the best wherever he lands. I also think he can be a no 6 D-man on a decent team in this league.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote