HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Stick A Fork In Us?

Old
02-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Bluebengal

vCash: 500
Stick A Fork In Us?

from the way we've been playing lately i'd say pack it up, seasons over. but do we still have what it takes to make the playoffs? can we pull our heads out of our ***** long enough to grab the 8th spot and hold onto it? i know the red wings would probably destroy us in the first round but hey at least we'd be able to say we finally made the playoffs, right?

Bluebengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 08:20 AM
n8lhf

Send a message via AIM to n8lhf
I don't think that right now is the time to panic. We still have quite a few games left. This is the first time this season that we've lost 3 in a row.
Sometimes watching this team skate is like watching Sybil, you don't know who's going to show up. Let's hope hockey playing Sybil shows up Monday against Alex Ovechkin.
They looked extremely sluggish last night. They just couldn't get it together as a unit. No one covered Marian Gaborik, but on the other side they had people smothering Zherdev and Nash. Other people on this team need to step up and start producing shots at the goal-tender for us to succeed. We just can't rely on two players all the time.
Congrats to Brassard last night for his first ever NHL goal.

n8lhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:51 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

a loss tomorrow night would pretty much be the coup de grace. No way we could win as many as we'd need to to stay in the discussion any longer.

the loss last night and the loss to nashville were crippling, absolutely crippling.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 02-03-2008 at 10:11 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Matt

Someone in that locker room has to step up and kick some ass. It has to be someone other than Foote or Nash. This team is coming apart at the seams and one of the young guys has to step up and turn this team around. It has to come from Boll, Fritsche, Brassard, Chimera or some one like that. It has to come from some one that goes balls out all the time.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
For whatever reason the Blue Jackets have imploded. There's always a chance for a huge recovery but I think a major trade of some nature would be required for that to happen. I think the mental or lockerroom problem plaguing this team is yet to run it's course.

I'd say the playoffs for this season are history.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:13 AM
MisterC

Send a message via AIM to MisterC
I'm not quite ready to throw it in, but I'm close. These last three games have been deplorable, but when it comes to this Blue Jacket team, it's always a crapshoot... who expected them to get this far this season?

Sure, 3 in a row hurts... but I'm still not saying the "p" word.

MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:14 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Well, to the good, at least after Washington we have LA who we seem to know how to play. If we lose either the LA or CHI game that follows it, we're well and truly finished.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
oxcamel

Don't stick it in yet, but the fork is definately out of the drawer. They need to get things turned around fast and get a run of wins (6 of 7, 8 of 9 would do quite nicely) or at least become consistent in winning 3 every 4. If this run of losses continues for another week or two, the trades of this week will pale in comparison.

oxcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:51 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

welcome Ox!

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
We're 3 points out. Things can change awfully fast with 3 wins this week.

Get the hand off of the panic button.

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 12:19 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

IMO the writing is on the wall. We're technically still in it but.... It's time for Howson and the Jackets to become seller. Foote could bring in a 1st rounder, Feds and Vyborny a 2nd, Chimera a 3rd... Let the end of season clearance sale begin.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuvie

Send a message via AIM to Duuuuuuuuuuvie
If we win the next four games we'll be 4-3 after the all star game and everyone will be pickled tink .

Honestly, though, there's enough games left in Feb to seal our fate. A 3 game skid isn't the end of the world.

Duuuuuuuuuuvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:06 PM
CapnCornelius

We are technically 3 points out, but the teams in front of us all have games in hand. As does St. Louis who is only one point back.

We also have to play Nashville twice. San Jose twice. Detroit 5 times.

This team has only strung together 3 or more wins twice this season.

And, even a 3 game win streak is no good unless everyone in front of us stumbles at the same moment in time.

So, the odds are not good despite what seems like a very slim difference in the standings.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
We're far from out of it. Three points isn't much. Injuries are bound to happen, both to us and other teams.

That being said, I think we're gonna finish 11th, which was my off season prediction, and many other peoples (before we signed Peca). I thought our season would start off slow, and we would pick up steam towards the end of the season. It seems to be happening in reverse.

02-03-2008, 01:12 PM
CBJheadhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
We are technically 3 points out, but the teams in front of us all have games in hand. As does St. Louis who is only one point back.

We also have to play Nashville twice. San Jose twice. Detroit 5 times.

This team has only strung together 3 or more wins twice this season.

And, even a 3 game win streak is no good unless everyone in front of us stumbles at the same moment in time.

So, the odds are not good despite what seems like a very slim difference in the standings.
Well said...and I suspect this "big" trade that we made, if we eventually actually get Tarmstrom, is too late

CBJheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yep, I'm in the "anything can happen" boat. But given this team's history, and how lackluster they've looked over the past week, I really don't think they have what it takes.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
We're done, couldn't beat Phoenix at home, and the Wild in front of a sellout, how they going to beat Detroit? won't happen.

The next 7 out of 9 are on the road, so we'll be out of contention by then, and it will still be before the deadline too.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:34 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
I say:

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:25 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

For the Optipessimistic...

[IMG][/IMG]

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Stiffler's Mom

Young line is key to Secondary Scoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Someone in that locker room has to step up and kick some ass. It has to be someone other than Foote or Nash. This team is coming apart at the seams and one of the young guys has to step up and turn this team around. It has to come from Boll, Fritsche, Brassard, Chimera or some one like that. It has to come from some one that goes balls out all the time.
Yes one of the young guys has to step up. What's needed though is secondary scoring to take some of the pressure off of Nash and Zherdev. I think that the line of Brassard, Brule, and Fritsche has the ability to provide the team with a spark. Although they are young and have made some defensive mistakes, their offensive chemistry appears to be building. They did score the ONLY CBJ goal vs. the Wild. There's some talent there and I think their development is the key to this team's secondary scoring. The coaching staff are gambling a little here but maybe, just maybe there is some hope. I believe that if these guys with their speed and playmaking can improve quickly that the team might still make the playoffs.

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
We're done, couldn't beat Phoenix at home, and the Wild in front of a sellout, how they going to beat Detroit? won't happen.

The next 7 out of 9 are on the road, so we'll be out of contention by then, and it will still be before the deadline too.
At least they won't have to hear the boo-birds.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Skraut

This thread needs some

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
letsgojackets

I was thinking about this as I was doing the dishes and was goin got start a new thread but this may be the appropriate place.

I don't think we make a move unless it is in our long term interest. Is a panic fire swale going to benefit us? No. We may get picks but our leaders are going to learn to to be out of the mix.

Would it not be better to hang on by a thread until the last monitue (even if we lose UFA's for nothing) to have Nash, Leclaire, Z, Fritsche, etc learn what it means to fight for every point, every night. I think that we are close. If we do not do it this year, we can do it next year.

I would make a trade if some was going to give us a 1st rounder or a #1 center or top pair Dman, IF the roster player has another year on their contract.

To me the idea of our young guys fighting for every point on every shift, every night will set us up better than a stockpile of draft picks.

Forget about the last 3, look out Capitals.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
We're 3 points out. Things can change awfully fast with 3 wins this week.

Get the hand off of the panic button.
Well said Goaliemon. Well said.

Hockey is a streaky sport. We go 4-2 in the next six and we're right there.
Would like to see a trade SOON however for someone who can move the puck AND score with it.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post
I was thinking about this as I was doing the dishes and was goin got start a new thread but this may be the appropriate place.

I don't think we make a move unless it is in our long term interest. Is a panic fire swale going to benefit us? No. We may get picks but our leaders are going to learn to to be out of the mix.

Would it not be better to hang on by a thread until the last monitue (even if we lose UFA's for nothing) to have Nash, Leclaire, Z, Fritsche, etc learn what it means to fight for every point, every night. I think that we are close. If we do not do it this year, we can do it next year.

I would make a trade if some was going to give us a 1st rounder or a #1 center or top pair Dman, IF the roster player has another year on their contract.

To me the idea of our young guys fighting for every point on every shift, every night will set us up better than a stockpile of draft picks.

Forget about the last 3, look out Capitals.
Great points. playoffs or not this year, we need to make a push, even if we finish 9th and 1 point out of the playoffs when its all said and done, i think that will serve us better next year then another top 10 draft pick

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote