HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Noels comment during WAS game...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2008, 10:57 PM
  #26
cydawg
#DefendNWA
 
cydawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gahanna, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post


I'm the one on the left.
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought you were the little one in the middle.

I heard that too comment and couldn't believe it. Then I thought about it a little. With how Pazzy was playing at that time, it made sense. He was in the zone and unless we let Ovechkin in alone for a breakaway we had them. I don't think he meant we had to turtle so much as we needed to keep playing our game.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:17 PM
  #27
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Just so we can clear this up ...

we lost the game when we FAILED TO SCORE ON OUR 5-3 PP. If you can't score on a 5-3 you don't deserve to win the game ANYWAY.

I don't feel the need to provide an explanation for Noel, but I have to believe that the coaching staff was concerned about the stamina/legs of the 8-10 players who were known to be suffering with pulmonary infections. Having to make an offensive push late in the game is likely something the staff and the team were hoping to avoid.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:23 AM
  #28
WapakJacketsFan
 
WapakJacketsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Just so we can clear this up ...

we lost the game when we FAILED TO SCORE ON OUR 5-3 PP. If you can't score on a 5-3 you don't deserve to win the game ANYWAY.

I don't feel the need to provide an explanation for Noel, but I have to believe that the coaching staff was concerned about the stamina/legs of the 8-10 players who were known to be suffering with pulmonary infections. Having to make an offensive push late in the game is likely something the staff and the team were hoping to avoid.

The Caps didn't score on their 5 on 3, either. In fact, they got scored on when on their 5 on 3. True, there's no reason we shouldn't be scoring when up 2 guys. But ours isn't the only really good PK in the league. We can shut down a 5 on 3 pretty well most nights. Other teams can also do the same. There's more to it than just that, though. The team has issues (issues that are rapidly growing into volumes) that I hope they get figured out soon.

Or maybe we should play all games down 2 guys?

WapakJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:45 AM
  #29
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,714
vCash: 500
YEA, what Mac said!!

The Jackets could very well hold a 2 goal lead if they would play the system that has been taught to them by Hitch.

So, it was just a fluke that we beat Atlanta 2-0, or Chicago 1-0. But you guys are saying those leads can't be held.

Give me a break!

Defensive breakdowns cost us that game, not Noel's remark. If the Jackets are playing how they should play, then Noel is dead on!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
  #30
Imjustabill
 
Imjustabill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up on Capitol Hill
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
To me, this thread is kind of like a Seinfeld episode; it's really about nothing.

His comment translated in my brain as, "Well, we've done well offensively to this point, but we've got to play better defense in order to get the win". Now if he had said, "We're going to go into a defensive shell now and hope the two goals stand up", then I could see why there would be an uproar. But that's not what he said or how I interpreted his comment.

I missed the first two periods; did the Jackets go into a defensive shell in the second period? It seems that they probably were playing straight-up hockey after they got the 2-0 lead, as they had some prime chances to go up 3-0, including Peca's scoring chance that got blocked by the defenseman when the goalie was out of position. I watched the third period, and the Jackets seemed to be on their heels a bit, but Ovechkin will do that to most teams.

As it turns out, he was right; the defense didn't step it up, and as a result they lost.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
  #31
forktie
Registered User
 
forktie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: the 'Bus
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Mathematically speaking, Noel was right. We had enough goals to win.
Noel was also correct that we needed the D to stay strong to win.

Then the D didn't stay strong, and then we suddenly didn't have enough goals to win.
Hindsight is 20/20.

If we win that game, this thread never happens.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:30 AM
  #32
Bobcat110
Registered User
 
Bobcat110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Maybe Noel thought we were still "Traptastic". It's been awhile since I've heard the CBJ linked to trapping, coincidental that we're floundering?

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
  #33
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WapakJacketsFan View Post
The Caps didn't score on their 5 on 3, either. In fact, they got scored on when on their 5 on 3. True, there's no reason we shouldn't be scoring when up 2 guys. But ours isn't the only really good PK in the league. We can shut down a 5 on 3 pretty well most nights. Other teams can also do the same. There's more to it than just that, though. The team has issues (issues that are rapidly growing into volumes) that I hope they get figured out soon.

Or maybe we should play all games down 2 guys?
Up two goals, up two guys and you can't score. You have the opportunity to put the opposition away and you don't. You don't deserve to win the game. Period. Don't blame the coach, don't blame the assistant coaches ... blame the guys on the ice who just failed in a situation they should NEVER fail in.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:47 AM
  #34
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Up two goals, up two guys and you can't score. You have the opportunity to put the opposition away and you don't. You don't deserve to win the game. Period. Don't blame the coach, don't blame the assistant coaches ... blame the guys on the ice who just failed in a situation they should NEVER fail in.
Good points, but too extreme. Words like never are overused. Some credit has to be given to the other team. Peca made a good play and got denied.

Having said that, the coaching staff has to figure out what we need to do to succeed more on 5-3's. In general it's a problem. We are, in general, falling on our face on 5 on 3's. We generate nothing on quite a few 5 on 3's.

However to say we should always score, that's too much. You should have a bar and decide which side you are on. Maybe it's you score 80% of the time on 5-on-3's.

To say we deserve to lose because we failed on a 5 on 3 is too simplistic. There were many other oppurtunites for us to put them away and we didn't. It was a key moment, but there were others in that game as well.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
  #35
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Good points, but too extreme. Words like never are overused. Some credit has to be given to the other team. Peca made a good play and got denied.

Having said that, the coaching staff has to figure out what we need to do to succeed more on 5-3's. In general it's a problem. We are, in general, falling on our face on 5 on 3's. We generate nothing on quite a few 5 on 3's.

However to say we should always score, that's too much. You should have a bar and decide which side you are on. Maybe it's you score 80% of the time on 5-on-3's.

To say we deserve to lose because we failed on a 5 on 3 is too simplistic. There were many other oppurtunites for us to put them away and we didn't. It was a key moment, but there were others in that game as well.
If you can't score on a 5-3 you don't deserve to win the game.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
  #36
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
If you can't score on a 5-3 you don't deserve to win the game.
Yeah, that's too black and white.

Wasington didn't score on theirs and it was almost a complete 5 on 3, ours was at the end of the period. How long of a 5 on 3 does it need to be before it's "automatic" and we have to score on it before it translates into we don't deserve to win? 10 seconds? 15? 30? 60? 1:30?

So by your statement no one deserved to win.

We are gonna not score on some 5 on 3's. Doesn't mean will will deserve to lose those games.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:19 AM
  #37
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Yeah, that's too black and white.

Wasington didn't score on theirs and it was almost a complete 5 on 3, ours was at the end of the period.

So by your statement no one deserved to win.

We are gonna not score on some 5 on 3's. Doesn't mean will will deserve to lose those games.
Exactly, no one deserved to win. It went to an overtime and somebody HAS to win ... doesn't necessarily mean they deserved the win.

I've watched it happen too many times, many many more times than I can even count. When a team fails to convert a 5-3 it's a Waterloo, and 9 times out of 10 the team goes on to lose. If you can't score on a 5-3 ...

you get the drill.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:19 AM
  #38
WrightOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Yeah, that's too black and white.

Wasington didn't score on theirs and it was almost a complete 5 on 3, ours was at the end of the period. How long of a 5 on 3 does it need to be before it's "automatic" and we have to score on it before it translates into we don't deserve to win? 10 seconds? 15? 30? 60? 1:30?

So by your statement no one deserved to win.

We are gonna not score on some 5 on 3's. Doesn't mean will will deserve to lose those games.
Chang at leisure was superior to Lynch in his rouge, munching a lozenge at the burial in Merrion Square of Hyperion the Alien who valued his billiards so highly. Quick! quick! hear the queer story how father and son one time sat in the house man to man eating bread and telling the tale of the fir on the road to the city by the sea following the coast to its fall full two fathoms deep. There they lived together served by the carrier, whose narrower mind through beer was sore and whose poor boy shivered over the fire all day lingering in a tangle of tactless empty instinct ineptly swallowing quarts of stingo.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
  #39
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
See blahblah? I told you so. hmf.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
  #40
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
"Noel's a moron" reads a lot like "Noel's a moron".

Next time TW, say that you thought it was a moronic comment. I'd probably agree. Calling him a moron just makes you look mean.
I'm with ya Mac, but I understand TW's comment. Noel saying 2 goals is enough just makes him look...well not smart. If we win that game 4-3 in regulation(lets say Peca hits the semi open net), Noel's comment gets brushed under the rug, but we're losing games and everything gets put under a microscope now.

I hate the interviews during the game and between periods. Its not fair to judge Noel by an off handed comment he makes to Jim Day while trying to primarily focus on the game.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
  #41
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
See blahblah? I told you so. hmf.
Sorry was there evidence I missed? I perfer "neener neener"... lol

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
  #42
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
Chang at leisure was superior to Lynch in his rouge, munching a lozenge at the burial in Merrion Square of Hyperion the Alien who valued his billiards so highly. Quick! quick! hear the queer story how father and son one time sat in the house man to man eating bread and telling the tale of the fir on the road to the city by the sea following the coast to its fall full two fathoms deep. There they lived together served by the carrier, whose narrower mind through beer was sore and whose poor boy shivered over the fire all day lingering in a tangle of tactless empty instinct ineptly swallowing quarts of stingo.
You could actually be more direct with what you may or may not be thinking. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. This? Not even gonna bother.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
  #43
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Exactly, no one deserved to win. It went to an overtime and somebody HAS to win ... doesn't necessarily mean they deserved the win.
Sorry Pluck, I can't begin to discribe how much I disagree with that. If you want to take that moment and put added meaning to it for that game. I am cool with that. However to basically say we deserve to lose every game that we don't score on a 5 on 3?

Sorry, but I not on the same page, book, library... We are as far apart as we can possibly be. Which is fine.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
  #44
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,760
vCash: 500
I don't know, blah, I think he was very direct in what he may or may not be thinking. Had I a lute, I'd pluck (no disrespect intended, Pluck) along to his Joycian little madrigal.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
  #45
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I don't know, blah, I think he was very direct in what he may or may not be thinking. Had I a lute, I'd pluck (no disrespect intended, Pluck) along to his Joycian little madrigal.
That's nice. I read it and don't really know what he's trying to say. I'm assuming it's something negative, but I would perfer he just said what was on his mind. That way I actually know what he's saying instead of thinking I know what he's trying to say.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
  #46
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
That's nice. I read it and don't really know what he's trying to say. I'm assuming it's something negative, but I would perfer he just said what was on his mind. That way I actually know what he's saying instead of thinking I know what he's trying to say.
It looks and reads like most of the junk e-mail I receive that seems to be written by a random-generator. Mass emails sent out for the sole purpose of finding valid email addresses. At least, I hope that's what it is.

Otherwise, I will be quite concerned.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
  #47
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Trying not to stray to far, 5x3's are momemtum boosters or busters. I agree to a point that a team must score when given a two man advantage, if you don't the letdown is huge; just like when a team kills one off the letup is usually huge.

All that said, we all know teams still win when they fail to score on a 5x3. When teams are distroyed by not scoring after a 5x3 then that team has some work to do on self confidence and mental issues. That rant prolly made no sense to most but it did to me...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
  #48
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,043
vCash: 500
yea my brother, who saw Noel for the first time during that comment, was irate about it. I tried to defend Noel but the more i think about it now, the more I realize it was a really stupid thing to say

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 07:08 AM
  #49
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Thread Officially Closed

"The Moron" was right last night.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.