HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First ever goalie experience

Old
01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Ayre

vCash: 500
First ever goalie experience

Feel like writing about my experience today:

I play in an indoor hockey league, and today was my first time playing goalie ever. I usually play forward because I have great endurance, and speed, but our goalie sucks so I told him I'll try it this week.

Anyway for one, its way funner then playing forward especially if you have like 60 shots coming at you in a game. Even though we lost like 15-2 and had like less then 10 shots (We are dead last in our league and we suck) I still had a blast and my teammates and the other team said I was pretty amazing... I made some crazy highlight saves that got the crowd going, and it got pretty exciting.

Actually one save was crazy... it was a 2 on 0 breakaway and the guy on my trapper side shoots, I save it and it goes back to him and I'm down on my knees at this point covering one half of the net... he passes it to the guy hanging out with the open net and I dive across with my stick and save it with the tip of the stick as it rolls right on the goal line and hits the other post and I cover it up.

It takes about half a game with lots of action coming at you to notice tendencies of players/teams and I felt much more comfortable in the second half. I played a dominic hasekesque type play where i just roll around, dive for the save, and when you make one it pumps you up big time. I had a problem kicking out my leg for saves...like I was pretty slow at it. Its not that I lack leg strength I play soccer, basketball, and tennis at a pretty competitive level so I'm pretty fit, its just I guess my reflexes. Its a different frame of motion I guess. Just curious on how I can build a routine where I can naturally kick out my legs.

I found that the hardest thing is knowing where the ball was once I made the save I couldn't track it. Like I didn't know if it was in my pads, behind the net, no clue. I guess its more communication from your team. My teammates said I was pretty good at cutting off angles, but seriously our defence comprised of some overwheight guys who were helpless so I was like jumping right and left. Our top player on the team came up to me and told me I was a much better goalie then our original and the back-up which gave me a confidence booster. I have a natural competitive strive in anything I do so I didn't want to dissapoint.

Another thing which I can't stand is the goalie stick. You can't drop as fast with it, it gets caught in your pads, in a way does allow you to reach out further with your legs, its just gives me a headache. I let in a lot of weak goals because the goalie stick tying me up, so I got rid of it for the last 5 minutes of the game and I had a 5 minute shut out. I guess I just gotta get use to it. I even had an own goal where the ball came off the back boards and i tried to swat it with the goalie stick but I hit it into the net.

Anyway I won't bore you guys anymore, I just thought some people might find my first ever experience interesting. I'm gonna try it out again next week and see how I do. Keep you guys posted on my goalie development.

Last edited by Ayre: 01-20-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Ayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayre View Post
Anyway for one, its way funner then playing forward especially if you have like 60 shots coming at you in a game. Even though we lost like 15-2 and had like less then 10 shots (We are dead last in our league and we suck) I still had a blast and my teammates and the other team said I was pretty amazing... I made some crazy highlight saves that got the crowd going, and it got pretty exciting.
Yep, that's why we do it!

I like the rare occasion of playing as a forward, too. It's fun just beacuse it allows me to try something new, I like getting the experience of it (helps me understand my teammates and opponents), plus I just like the feeling of going fast and skating my butt off sometimes. Scoring is fun, too.

But even when I skate out, I miss being in net. I love knowing that almost the entire game rides on my shoulders. It's depressing being on a 3rd line, sitting on the bench for 2-4 minutes, knowing I'm having little-to-no impact....even when I'm on the ice.

Quote:
Its not that I lack leg strength I play soccer, basketball, and tennis at a pretty competitive level so I'm pretty fit, its just I guess my reflexes. Its a different frame of motion I guess. Just curious on how I can build a routine where I can naturally kick out my legs.
It could be reflexes. But most likely, it's just form. Do it enough and you'll get used to it, but it's not really a natural motion (having your foot and shin pependicular to the rest of your body which needs to remain straight). Only remedy is lots and lots of practice. Like, doing 200 butterflies a day just aroound the house, and going up and down as fast as possible.

Quote:
I found that the hardest thing is knowing where the ball was once I made the save I couldn't track it. Like I didn't know if it was in my pads, behind the net, no clue. I guess its more communication from your team.
That also comes with time and experience. I've reached the point where I could almost play the game blind (and sometimes you have to when there's tons of traffic). The force of the shot, where it hits your equipment, listening to the sounds around you (off the boards, the post, hearing the puck on another stick), intimately knowing where the likely holes are in your equipment where it would likely get lodged, and of course, just observing the reactions of the skaters around you.

So much of goaltending is just sheer observation, sensory perception, and anticipation.

Quote:
Another thing which I can't stand is the goalie stick. You can't drop as fast with it, it gets caught in your pads, in a way does allow you to reach out further with your legs, its just gives me a headache. I let in a lot of weak goals because the goalie stick tying me up, so I got rid of it for the last 5 minutes of the game and I had a 5 minute shut out. I guess I just gotta get use to it. I even had an own goal where the ball came off the back boards and i tried to swat it with the goalie stick but I hit it into the net.
If the stick is getting caught in your pads, you're not holding it right. Keep the blade out in front of you, never underneath you.

Also, never try to swat anything out of midair. Your first priority is to stop the puck and control it. Never make a play (like hitting a bouncing puck or ball) when you are even a little uncertain of the outcome. You have a glove, catch it and control it. If you have the time to safely play it, do so, but otherwise just take the whistle. As a goalie, every mistake you make in mishandling the puck gets displayed on the scoreboard. You can't take gambles...even caluclated ones. Always play it safe around your goal.

Hope this stuff helps. Good luck, great job, and congrats on your first step over to the Dark Side......

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Feel like writing about my experience today:

I play in an indoor hockey league, and today was my first time playing goalie ever. I usually play forward because I have great endurance, and speed, but our goalie sucks so I told him I'll try it this week.

Another thing which I can't stand is the goalie stick. You can't drop as fast with it, it gets caught in your pads, in a way does allow you to reach out further with your legs, its just gives me a headache. I let in a lot of weak goals because the goalie stick tying me up, I guess I just gotta get use to it. I even had an own goal where the ball came off the back boards and i tried to swat it with the goalie stick but I hit it into the net.
Wow, what a great story. It is a great feeling when you stop a guy cold dead isn't it? It's even better when he's in the celebrating mode. You know dancing all around with his hand up in the air and you take his life away with the tip of your glove, skate, or diving save.

There's one thing for sure. You now have a better understanding of what the other goalie going though.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Ashe

I actually; just started playing hockey last year..I backcatch and have for tenyears; so i figured it was worth a shot..

Being 21; and being 20 when i first started playing hockey in general makes it hard..I have'nt laced up my skates since i was 7..and never played any form of hockey *Minus ea sports and the odd shinny*

So i told a team i'd buy equipment and lace them up.... yeah..two practices then games..
First game was like 7-1..then a couple bad ones 14-2 15-2..yeah..
But things improved..I ended up with a 5gaa and tied for 5th in saves *14 teams in division* i even had a shutout! it was crazy... but things are going really well,..
and you learn a ton i have a whole new respect for goalies..

This year i think i have a 3.33 gaa, and second in saves,
Last year we made it semi finals as well..whihc was crazy!!!

Im glad im not the only rookie haha

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Ayre

Well little update on my progress:

2nd Game:

Was worse then the first game seeing that we were playing the best team in the league, and we had no subs so it was 6 guys playing the whole game. We lost 9-1, but should have been more, but we gave up early. I played much better then my first game, and was able to anticipate a lot of plays/shots, but 60 shots on me didn't really help me put up good numbers. Our defence was too tired to help so I was on my own 80% of the time.

3rd Game: Today

My best game yet and I'm certainly getting the hang of it. We lost 6-1, playing a mid-tier team, but i felt more comfortable and made much more saves. We had subs this time so it wasn't as bad, but our guys got tired in the second half and everyone kinda gave up.

Major problem that I have and 4 goals were scored on me this way today. When the balls behind the net and someone passes it to the slot or makes a wrap around shot I can't exactly see them moving because the mask blocks a great deal of my view. Kind of frustrating, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can react or anticipate the play.

Goalie is a great position and I look forward to every Sunday where I get to play. Hopefully I'll get my first win ... can't wait.

Ayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Datsyuk 13

once i did the rick nash goal that won the game... i got robbed doing a shootout forehand move it sucked so bad
i also did the brian rolston move but i faked a slapshot before it cracked RIGHT into the top left corner goalie had no chance

Datsyuk 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 03:47 AM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Quote:
Well little update on my progress:

2nd Game:

Was worse then the first game seeing that we were playing the best team in the league, and we had no subs so it was 6 guys playing the whole game. We lost 9-1, but should have been more, but we gave up early. I played much better then my first game, and was able to anticipate a lot of plays/shots, but 60 shots on me didn't really help me put up good numbers. Our defence was too tired to help so I was on my own 80% of the time.
Letting in only 9 goals on 60 shots is amazing. Especially if you were on your own for a lot of the time. Thus many shots must've been quality shots.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote