HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shoooooooot!

Old
02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Prospalous

vCash: 500
Shoooooooot!

So, I just wanted to know everyone's feelings on a subject that annoys the **** out of me.

So how many of you guys get SO ANNOYED when someone in the offensive zone gets the puck and like all of a sudden you hear a good portion of the garden yell, "SHOOOOOT!" even when the guy doesn't even have a shot with the chance of making it past the guy defending him and there is just a sea of people in front of him. More often than not, I think this causes them to rush a shot ending in a wasted effort. Jesus christ, let them play the game I'm sure they know SO MUCH more than half of the people there think.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

they definitely need to shoot more. The Garden is just imparting philosophical lessons. Not specific suggestions.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 View Post
So, I just wanted to know everyone's feelings on a subject that annoys the **** out of me.

So how many of you guys get SO ANNOYED when someone in the offensive zone gets the puck and like all of a sudden you hear a good portion of the garden yell, "SHOOOOOT!" even when the guy doesn't even have a shot with the chance of making it past the guy defending him and there is just a sea of people in front of him. More often than not, I think this causes them to rush a shot ending in a wasted effort. Jesus christ, let them play the game I'm sure they know SO MUCH more than half of the people there think.
Im with you, but to be fair, last year when Nylander was on this team they drove me crazy with all that passing, ESPECIALLY Nylander and to be honest I would have done the same. I think there was even a point last season when the fans started to shout it because they just wanted to have fun, and it was funny, I think even Joe and Sam noticed it and chuckled.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Airborne Troll*

Haha, do you remember Nylander last year!

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
NYRangers09

They need to shoot more, shooting lane or not. When they put the pucks to the net good things happen. Not every shot needs to be the perfect shot they also look for.

Sometimes I do agree the garden gets a little bit to excited once they enter the zone

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
frankthefrowner

This is stemming from the fact that when they are in the slot, they try to pass it off to someone else. Jagr is the main culprit, He'll get int the slot and make a pass to either gomer or straka.

Someone send him a memo:

Dear Jaromir,

You have well over 600 goals in your career. It is not considered selfish to use your Hall Of Fame Wrist shot when you are in the GOD DAMN SLOT!

Sincerely,
Everyone on the planet earth

Or Maybe we should take a page out of saving silverman and attach electrodes to his nipples and evertime he passes it in the slot we shock him.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post
They need to shoot more, shooting lane or not. When they put the pucks to the net good things happen. Not every shot needs to be the perfect shot they also look for.

Sometimes I do agree the garden gets a little bit to excited once they enter the zone
I actually enjoy watching alot of good passing and waiting for a good shot on a PP. Montreal does it, Ottawa, Detroit. They are all really good passing teams. Carolina, Philly they all pass alot and pass well. These teams also tend to have alot of guys moving around in the zone opening up passing lanes.

Unfortunately we are horrible at passing and receiving passes so many of our passes end up as turnovers and therefore no shots or quality shots. Also it is unfortunate that we don't move that much on the PP just pass around the outside. So basically that's why our passes do nothing to create scoring chances, and open shooting lanes as well as goals.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
TrueBlue9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post

NYR #3 1,783 shots for (31.8 per game)

NYR #28 2.41 GPG

They do not need to shoot more. They need to shoot smarter; between the circles.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 09:08 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
NYR #3 1,783 shots for (31.8 per game)

NYR #28 2.41 GPG

They do not need to shoot more. They need to shoot smarter; between the circles.
Exactly. Look at most of there shots. They don't shoot very effectively. If you're at a game, it is very obvious. They wait for a clear lane, then shoot right into the goalie form the point or a tough angle. That's why this team makes AHL goalies look like Patrick Roy. We need more screening, more deflections, more 20ft shots.

BTW: I was yelling shoot during TV time outs and the little Ranger game as a joke. If your 're one of those guys that yells shoot all the time, I'm mocking you .

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:08 AM
NY Ranger86

honestly man im with you. i almost cant stand going to any nhl games anymore because of the idiot fans that want them to shoot everytime they have the puck. do these people know hockey??? I was just at the flyers game earlier tonight and me and my teammate had the same exact discussion. everyone theres yelling SHOOOOT every 2 seconds on a power play...so annoying.

ps. i was at a flyers game because my college team played penn state after.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:56 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think TrueBlue9 has it right. It's not that the Rangers don't take enough shots, it's that they don't take enough of the right ones. Because if you watch the games, there always seems to be numerous chances where a player passes up a really good scoring opportunity to make a pass instead of shoot. Which is why you see the Rangers out-shooting their opponents so often yet have only scored more goals than 2 or 3 teams in the league.

- Dan Girardi is 5th on the Rangers in shots and the only defenseman with more than 100 (Toots is at 99).
- The Rangers' team shooting percentage is 7.6% -- dead last in the NHL. Most teams are in the 8.8-10% range.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont know if anyone else has noticed this either but i sure have -

I dont know if its a direct statement to the defenseman from Renney and the staff in response to the crowd yelling "SHOOOOT!!" all the time, or if its a set play (or both). But for one - it NEVER works.

Usually i see it from Mara and Tyutin... I see on the road on occasion but at home a lot more.

The Ranger gets the puck at the point and shoots it about 6 feet wide of the net (on purpose) to get a rebound off the boards to go directly into the slot. Most of the time it does not work, and fans say "what the **** was that?" - well at least they aren't yelling "shoooottt!!!" anymore, because they did in fact shoot, or should i say er... pass - except its worse than making a real play.

You see I have a feeling that thats part of it. To appease the fans they are doing a set play that never works, and screws up their offense. It would be great if they could execute it, but the boards aren't true behind the nets at the Garden. They seem to do it when they arent any options and they know a shot is going to get blocked. Which leads me to my next argument...

If you ask me, going down the stretch here and against division foes - if someone wants to block a shot, let them. DRIVE IT THROUGH THEIR PADS.

The Rangers pass up so many opportunities to do that. How many injuries do teams get a year from blocking shots? Lets see Straka was out for a while, Drury and Betts have been banged up - any shot at any time can knock a guy out of the game.

Now im not saying purposely hurt the guy, but if hes going to go down to block it (and essentially take himself out of the play for a second), rip it hard, maybe itll get through! If not they have to absorb the shot... THATS NOT A BAD THING!!! Yes the shot might be blocked, but everyone says Roszival and Mara has cannons for shots. Why not put some fear into the opposition the next time they decide to go down??? Start ripping it relentlessly. Maybe youll get a rebound, a broken stick, and the fans will stop yelling.

Instead of using the backboards, if a forward GOES DOWN, rip through him.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 02-07-2008 at 08:40 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Its really annoying, alot of fans in general have no clue how to play the game.

Shooting lanes? What kind of commie talk is that, just shooooooooooooooot

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
TheMetalChick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
honestly man im with you. i almost cant stand going to any nhl games anymore because of the idiot fans that want them to shoot everytime they have the puck. do these people know hockey??? I was just at the flyers game earlier tonight and me and my teammate had the same exact discussion. everyone theres yelling SHOOOOT every 2 seconds on a power play...so annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Its really annoying, alot of fans in general have no clue how to play the game.

Shooting lanes? What kind of commie talk is that, just shooooooooooooooot
That happens at NVMC, too- and it drives me crazy. It might even be worse for you guys because you have more corporate seating, you probably get more tourists and business types who are relatively clueless about the game that yell it to try and get "in" to things.

Of course when your team doesnt score goals anymore (like the Isles) it is a bit more understandable that even knowledgable fans might yell it in frustration.

TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Prospalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Exactly. Look at most of there shots. They don't shoot very effectively. If you're at a game, it is very obvious.
Exactly my point. Fans yelling "SHOOOOOT!" does nothing but make the player rush a shot he doesn't have. I'd rather see them wait for a prime opportunity than watch them put it right into the goalies chest or get it blocked by every player along the way.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:56 AM
94now

I can't believe I lived long enough to see a discussion like that. Wow.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

What should we scream? "Pass!"

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
What should we scream? "Pass!"
How about nothing, they don't need your 'advice'. This is not some sport like baseball where you can yell in between pitches and feel like you're being heard. Support them by cheering when they score, or boo when they don't, ya know, let them make the play THEN you react.

Unfortunately, people think that paying the price of admission means they can do whatever they want. It's all about "Me,me, me, and me".

Old
02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
How about nothing, they don't need your 'advice'. This is not some sport like baseball where you can yell in between pitches and feel like you're being heard. Support them by cheering when they score, or boo when they don't, ya know, let them make the play THEN you react.

Unfortunately, people think that paying the price of admission means they can do whatever they want. It's all about "Me,me, me, and me".

Well let me bring an example from Last Game.
Prucha is about 3 FEET from the net by himself and does a backwards pass to someone, who is checked and doesn't even get a shot off.

Like someone said above, especially frustrating is the wide open shot from the point on the PP which we refuse toactually take on goal. I mean 40 percent of the goals scored on Henrik are from the point - screens and deflections and rebounds. And either we pass to Jagr against the boards (against the boards accounting for 60 percent of Rangers shots) or do the fancy pass-shot off the boards thingy with a ten percent success rate. A few games ago the rangers had a 3-2 and Toots missed the net with a blue line laser beam and it went all around the boards and the other team came down and scored. So its not just shoot - but GET It on net. That goal avery scored last game was great! thats the way the Rangers should play - ugly Adam Graves goals, loved it.

Keep it simple, pass pass one timer - rebound goal. So they do need our advice, and I hear plenty of knowledgeable hockey fans screaming it at the games.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Well let me bring an example from Last Game.
Prucha is about 3 FEET from the net by himself and does a backwards pass to someone, who is checked and doesn't even get a shot off.

Like someone said above, especially frustrating is the wide open shot from the point on the PP which we refuse toactually take on goal. I mean 40 percent of the goals scored on Henrik are from the point - screens and deflections and rebounds. And either we pass to Jagr against the boards (against the boards accounting for 60 percent of Rangers shots) or do the fancy pass-shot off the boards thingy with a ten percent success rate. A few games ago the rangers had a 3-2 and Toots missed the net with a blue line laser beam and it went all around the boards and the other team came down and scored. So its not just shoot - but GET It on net. That goal avery scored last game was great! thats the way the Rangers should play - ugly Adam Graves goals, loved it.

Keep it simple, pass pass one timer - rebound goal. So they do need our advice, and I hear plenty of knowledgeable hockey fans screaming it at the games.
I agree thats the way they should play, no doubt. But I understand this animal after watching it for the past few seasons, screaming your head off at someone who can't even hear you is useless, may actually hurt the team. They're not gonna cater to the fans, they are professionals, if anything it may make them think twice cause the opponent has ears too and will be LOOKING for the shot.

As far as Pruchs, I can't understand why he does half the things he does, he's probably frustrated like the rest of the bunch.

Old
02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
94now

Quote:
Sorry, it rarely works against good goalie and good D. First, there will be no rebound unless shot is low and goaltender pads it. Good ones will get the rebound to the corner away from the slot. Second (should be first timewise) there will be no pass-pass-onetimer as the D would expect that and would block the one timed shot or intercept the pass. Every time you shoot is the chance you simply turn the puck over.
Prucha passed because he was already too close to LaBarbera to beat him upstairs and by that time of the game he knew that Jason wont let anything between the wickets.
Hitting the goalie with the puck doesn't do any good. That is why there are so many misses on the net. They try not just hit the net (something that fans want) but place the puck in narrow area between the goalie and the goal frame. That is hard to do. Thereis no other way, though, to score on hot goalie. LaBarbera was on fire last game.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 View Post

relax, rangers shoot more than you think they do

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Chunklee*

I love arrogant people that try to act superior by saying people that scream shoot donít know nothing about the game. Sure, sometimes when the fans scream shoot it doesnít make sense for that situation, but like someone mentioned above me it is mostly venting out frustration, and you know there are a lot of times that I recall fans screaming shoot when the Rangers should had shoot. How many powerplays did the Rangers have this year that amounted to zero shots on goal, or even just goals too, because they were trying to do the perfect set up. Hows our powerplay this year again? Oh yeah, it stinks.

Chunklee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunklee View Post
I love arrogant people that try to act superior by saying people that scream shoot don’t know nothing about the game. Sure, sometimes when the fans scream shoot it doesn’t make sense for that situation, but like someone mentioned above me it is mostly venting out frustration, and you know there are a lot of times that I recall fans screaming shoot when the Rangers should had shoot. How many powerplays did the Rangers have this year that amounted to zero shots on goal, or even just goals too, because they were trying to do the perfect set up. Hows our powerplay this year again? Oh yeah, it stinks.
Kinda funny that:

The PP on the road is better than 19 other teams in the NHL and is 8th in the league in Power Play goals scored overall.

Weird isnt it?

Maybe because they are #2 in the league in PP opportunities.

Or, maybe because we just think its worse than it really is

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunklee View Post
I love arrogant people that try to act superior by saying people that scream shoot donít know nothing about the game. Sure, sometimes when the fans scream shoot it doesnít make sense for that situation, but like someone mentioned above me it is mostly venting out frustration, and you know there are a lot of times that I recall fans screaming shoot when the Rangers should had shoot. How many powerplays did the Rangers have this year that amounted to zero shots on goal, or even just goals too, because they were trying to do the perfect set up. Hows our powerplay this year again? Oh yeah, it stinks.
Shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot !

You're right, this does get out the frustration !