HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Huet come back to Montreal!!

Old
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Cristobal Huet

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Facts as I see them:

Price to good for AHL.....Halak already knows he will be his back up.

Huet will want and deserves a three year contract, this will not be with Montreal, translation... will be gone before trade deadline and if Price is still uncertain then after playoff run.

Price is probably going to be starter for playoffs along the lines of Roy, Dryden and Penny. Gainey will be criticized as he was when Price started the playoffs in Hamilton fresh out of junior.

Halak is being patient because he knows what his job will be and is bidding his time not complaining or holding whine sessions.

Huet will be a starter somewhere and if there is not enough offered at trade deadline and Price is playing well, Huet will stay as insurance and if a good deal comes along he is gone with maybe a package of players.
That part doesn't click for a Stanley Cup contending team.

Remind me again why shipping your #1 goalie off to another team while you could still be a point out of 1st or in 1st place in huge part thanks to him in favour of playing an unproven rookie with no experience whatsoever?

Instead of thinking of "what we're gonna get back", why don't you think about what's best for the team in that situation, trading Huet is not.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
I agree with you, however, if the right deal comes along and Price is looking comfortable, the trade will be made. If too little is offered he will stay until after the playoff run as insurance.

Price is too good for the AHL and is pretty much ready to show what he can do at the NHL level. If he gets in a groove for a few games people will realize what they have. This is a game to game thing and not 2 to3 years as some people seem to want to believe.

You would not keep the Kostitsyn brothers down for 2 or 3 years and they are not at Carey Prices level.
Well, you would not dump Alex Kovalev just because you have Andrei K around either!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
BadHabit

Gainey wants the cup next year, and Price and Halak are simply not ready to make a cup run no matter what you say. Saying Carey Price is "too good" for the AHL is laughable. Is he dominating down there? What's his record? 6-4-0 with a 2.69 GAA and .896 save %? Yeah, he's definately too good for the AHL.

If Huet leaves, good luck finding another veteran goalie. Kolzig and Osgood are the only impending UFA's, and there's no way Detroit isn't re-signing Osgood. Want Kolzig instead? Not me. Or are you going to trade a 2-3 quality players for that final piece of the puzzle. That's going to leave a hole in the team.

Make no mistake, Bob has to re-sign Huet for at least 2 years. My guess is that it will be for 3 years, and a fairly large sum of money. There's nothing wrong with this. It is a good investment as goalies are always in demand, and no matter what happens down the stretch he's shown he can be a #1. This will allow Price to mature at a speed that makes more sense than "sink or swim", and also give us much needed stability between the pipes.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:15 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Best case scenario they sign him for 3 years at 5 mil or maybe a bit less. If Price proves he is ready for #1 in those 3 years then you have a very nice chip to trade...there is always somebody looking for a #1.
i dont know about that.. the ducks tried to trade briz but no one would do a trade. but if the goalie is free and it doesnt cost anything, few teams would take a shot at it.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:19 AM
peterpatter*

Bob Gainey is sitting pretty here if he plays his cards right..................He for sure wants Price as our #1 but that wont happen for a couple more years maybe next.........Gainey signs Huet for 2 more years and then when Price is showing he can take over Bob cashes in on Huet.............and he should get a good return.....for sure.

peterpatter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
No he's saying that their goalie's 1.25 GAA overshadowed our goalie's 2.25 GAA as the reason they lost the series.
Actually, if you read the thread, he is suggesting that Huet isn't worth offering a new contract to because of those 4 losses on his playoff record. And I'm sayin' you can't hold a 2.25 GAA in 4 losses against a guy when your team only scored 1.25 goals per game in support.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
i dont know about that.. the ducks tried to trade briz but no one would do a trade. but if the goalie is free and it doesnt cost anything, few teams would take a shot at it.

Huet is a lot better than Brizgalov...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Actually, if you read the thread, he is suggesting that Huet isn't worth offering a new contract to because of those 4 losses on his playoff record. And I'm sayin' you can't hold a 2.25 GAA in 4 losses against a guy when your team only scored 1.25 goals per game in support.
No actually I didn't say that. I'm saying Huet's worth should be determined based on what he does this playoff. Of course you avoided that part by posting some drivel about a comet. I've said I don't care how he did in the past. You keep bringing that up.
Fact, this team is pretty good right now and should win a few series. If Huet lets them down this spring, why throw millions at him?

Nevermind, because the reality is, at the first sign of trouble in the playoffs, Price will take over and chances are you won't ever see Huet again. Now you can bring up Carolina as an example.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Puckhead58*

I sure hope so cuz we'll be screwed without him. Price won't be ready to be an NHL starter for at least another year, so that means we'll have to go with Halak and Price backing him up if Huet leaves, or sign a free agent goalie to replace him....but I would rather see us sign Huet for another 2 or 3 years.

Sign him for 3 years, Next year he is the starter again with Price or Halak backing him up and getting 30-35 games behind Huet so they can get some experience, unless Huet gets injured, then Price and Halak split. The second year, Huet splits with Price or Halak, whoever is more NHL ready and then the 3rd year Huet assumes the backup role and either Halak or Price becomes the starting goalie. With Huet backing them up, we have a very good goaltending tandem and a capable goalie who can come off the bench and play.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:44 AM
peterpatter*

I really believe Huet himself would rather play here in montreal than any other place...........I am only assuming this cause the way he plays and the comments that are said about him.............I think he loves Montreal and will actually ask his agent to make a deal with Bob...........Only assuming but I think I am correct here.

peterpatter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Pepe Lemieux

If for any reason we lose Huet this summer

If Gainey cannot re-sign Huet. What would we do this summer ? I just can't imagina Price and Halak sharing the job next year. We need a vet to play half the games with Price (since Idon't think Halak will be back next year). But what vet will be available ?

forget about...

Kolzig will end his carrer in washington
Osgood just got a new contract
Hasek will almost certainely retire

maybe
Fernandez could be added for peanuts but can he still stop the puck
Roloson .... see Fernandez
Théodore .. could be interesting but it will not happen
Belfour .. I think he still played good last year
Cujo ... will retire
Hedberg ... I would like that guy
Lalime ... not a bad choice

Alll of this says one thing ...

Signing Huet is the number one priority of Gainey till this summer

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Of course you avoided that part by posting some drivel about a comet.
If Huet lets them down this spring, why throw millions at him?
All I'm saying is that some things are possible/likely. Others... not so much. What makes you bring up the possibility of Huet faultering this spring? Of course you are hinting that those 4 losses with a GAA of 2.25 suggest he isn't a playoff goalie, otherwise why did you bring it up? And over any 7 game stretch this year, can you find me 4 games where he faultered?

Let's go the other route. If Ryder scores 20 goals this playoffs, how much would you throw at him?

Old
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schuldiner View Post

Kolzig will end his carrer in washington
Or would he relish a chance to mentor his young padawan.

Old
02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Pepe Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Or would he relish a chance to mentor his young padawan.
Yeah I haven't thought about it it could be a good idea to sign Kolzig for a 1 year deal to mentor a young Price that he knows well

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:20 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14hockey14 View Post
Heyy Habs Fabs,

Heyy this sad but what if Huet dosn't come back this Summer I just thought of it cause his contrct is over this summer I don't really want Carey Price as an original
and Halak as a backup if that's our goalies in 08/09 we will be where the leafs are.
I want him to come back I would not trade him he has 9 loses and is still young he's like 32.So I hope we keep and re-sign he or else where looking at a very bad season,
We will need and the chance of winning a stanley cup with those young goalies is 0% I like Halak and Price but when it comes to originals we can be tost.
How about when Huet was on IR we didn't do good will Carey.If so picture that in Montreal for the rest on 10years or more.

So you anwser re-sign him or
Loses like Tampa Bay, Leafs, L.A.!!!

Huet is done here after this season. Price is the goalie of the future. Habs' management has stated this over and over.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Gainey wants the cup next year, and Price and Halak are simply not ready to make a cup run no matter what you say. Saying Carey Price is "too good" for the AHL is laughable. Is he dominating down there? What's his record? 6-4-0 with a 2.69 GAA and .896 save %? Yeah, he's definately too good for the AHL.

If Huet leaves, good luck finding another veteran goalie. Kolzig and Osgood are the only impending UFA's, and there's no way Detroit isn't re-signing Osgood. Want Kolzig instead? Not me. Or are you going to trade a 2-3 quality players for that final piece of the puzzle. That's going to leave a hole in the team.

Make no mistake, Bob has to re-sign Huet for at least 2 years. My guess is that it will be for 3 years, and a fairly large sum of money. There's nothing wrong with this. It is a good investment as goalies are always in demand, and no matter what happens down the stretch he's shown he can be a #1. This will allow Price to mature at a speed that makes more sense than "sink or swim", and also give us much needed stability between the pipes.
Agreed. Also why is it that people excuse Price's effort in the Ahl when he lets in so many goals there? Halak sat on the bench for 3 weeks or longer and he let in 1 goal on 32 shots last night. Halak has a lot better numbers in front of the same team that Price had. Yet some people say Price is playing better than Halak and does not need to play in the AHL?

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:25 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Huet is done here after this season. Price is the goalie of the future. Habs' management has stated this over and over.

I dispute this. To my knowledge, Habs management has NEVER said that Huet is done here after this season!

Do you have some evidence?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Agreed. Also why is it that people excuse Price's effort in the Ahl when he lets in so many goals there?
Obviously these aren't the same people that excuse his brilliance in the Calder Cup last year. Either they both count or neither of them do.

Old
02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I dispute this. To my knowledge, Habs management has NEVER said that Huet is done here after this season!

Do you have some evidence?
I do too. I think he is trying to cleverly embed an opinion with a fact. Yes, the Habs have said that Price is the goalie of the future, but NO they haven't said that Huet is gone after this year.

Old
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Agreed. Also why is it that people excuse Price's effort in the Ahl when he lets in so many goals there? Halak sat on the bench for 3 weeks or longer and he let in 1 goal on 32 shots last night. Halak has a lot better numbers in front of the same team that Price had. Yet some people say Price is playing better than Halak and does not need to play in the AHL?
Price had 2 bad games in the AHL immediately after being sent down.... take those two out of the equation and he was awesome in all the others. If we want the what have you done for me lately approach, Price let in one goal in 2 games on Friday/Saturday, both wins, and he stopped all 4 shutout attempts he faced friday night.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Price had 2 bad games in the AHL immediately after being sent down.... take those two out of the equation and he was awesome in all the others. If we want the what have you done for me lately approach, Price let in one goal in 2 games on Friday/Saturday, both wins, and he stopped all 4 shutout attempts he faced friday night.
Price has shown me that he has all the talent in the world to become the number one very soon. What I haven't seen yet is the consistency to earn him the number 1 spot. That's one thing that Huet still has on him.

Old
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Miller Time

It would be great if we had an option year on Huet or some other way to keep him for 1-2 years at a decent salary...

but assuming he continues to play well, and (heaven forbid) lead us on a long and successful playoff run, he will be in store for a pretty hefty raise in the offseason.

We have the cap room to grant him that, but does anyone really want to see him signed long-term? As good as Huet is most of the time, he still lets in way too many soft/late goals to be considered a bonafide elite goaltender (elite in the sense of franchise goalie). With price showing every indication that in time he will be that type of goalie, it would be foolish to sign Huet to a big 3-4 year contract, but equally foolish on his part not to want something of that length.

It will be interestin to see what Gainey does. It's one of those "nice problems to have" scenarios, i suppose, but also one that could be screwed up royally.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Price has shown me that he has all the talent in the world to become the number one very soon. What I haven't seen yet is the consistency to earn him the number 1 spot. That's one thing that Huet still has on him.
Agreed!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm lots of self serving amnesia going on here

Just like some folks want to dismiss Huet's contribution to the success of this years team by complaining about a few goals in playoffs a couple of years ago.

Others are focusing on a very few AHL games this season for Price instead of recalling his brilliance last year in the playoffs and also just before being called back up.

Stop concentrating on perceived negatives in a very small slice of time to support your argument. It is tunnel vision of the worst kind. Most of you folks are playing favourites.

I think the Habs want to sign Huet for the right amount of cash. A no trade clause would not help unless it was a very short deal. Ultimately I think whether he goes or stays depends on what Huet is willing to accept or give up.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
rs7k

Wait, some of you still believe Huet is on the block before the trade deadline?

We have to keep him for the stretch and the playoffs. I'm not putting Price in that kind of situation yet, at all. Huet is our #1 goalie, period.

rs7k is offline   Reply With Quote