HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Makeover?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
  #26
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
For me, it isn't so much that I WANT Hainsey gone. I just think he will be.

I'm not opposed to hanging on to him and adding an upgrade, thus shifting Hainsey to the second unit. I just wonder if the money would be there for that.

He is an impending UFA and I think Ron is going to get a decent pay day. If a choice has to be made from paying more for an improvement and paying for Hainsey, well, I've seen Hainsey, and I'd opt to move up a class.
The problem for me is, I don't see this team spending the amount it costs for a legitimate two-way defenseman and spending the amount it costs for a legitimate #1 center. Nothing in this team's history suggests a willingness to spend big. Beyond that the re-signing of Chimera and negotiations with Foote lead me to believe, barring a dramatic increase in the team budget, that we'll be lucky to see one big signing in the offseason.

And, beyond that, I think the problem with the defense is not just the quality of the defensemen in our offensive zone and in transition, but the quantity of guys with that skill set.

Its one reason I'm starting to warm to the idea of moving Klesla, but I just don't know that this team is willing to pay the additional budget costs that moving him for an upgrade would inevitably entail.

I just hope I'm wrong and that the team does something big, and preferably a couple of big things.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
  #27
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
I think Hainsey is the one to go. I actually have always kind of liked the guy, but I think he's the one area we can improve on. OKT is really growing on me as a depth player. At this point, I would like to keep him around. He is a great locker room presence as well.

Assuming we keep Foote, which I have personally just come to terms with(not a big fan), I hope we keep Hejda, Russell, and Methot is in the mix with OKT.

I really felt like Klesla was coming into his own, until a few weeks ago. Yeah, he's a solid #4 defenseman right now, but man if the growing pains aren't painful for everyone. I'm starting to wonder about the guy.

Maybe trading Klesla and hanging on to Hainsey could be interesting.

Foote-Campbell
Hejda-Hainsey
Russell-Methot/OKT

But does Howson have the cash/pieces to trade for Campbell as well as re-sign Hejda and Hainsey?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
  #28
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The problem for me is, I don't see this team spending the amount it costs for a legitimate two-way defenseman and spending the amount it costs for a legitimate #1 center. Nothing in this team's history suggests a willingness to spend big. Beyond that the re-signing of Chimera and negotiations with Foote lead me to believe, barring a dramatic increase in the team budget, that we'll be lucky to see one big signing in the offseason.

And, beyond that, I think the problem with the defense is not just the quality of the defensemen in our offensive zone and in transition, but the quantity of guys with that skill set.

Its one reason I'm starting to warm to the idea of moving Klesla, but I just don't know that this team is willing to pay the additional budget costs that moving him for an upgrade would inevitably entail.

I just hope I'm wrong and that the team does something big, and preferably a couple of big things.
And I'll concede I may be going out on a limb in my assumptions. I'm feeling a bit rosy today for whatever reasons.

Will the Jackets get that top dman and a top center? I have some doubts. I think they can get a pretty good upgrade on defense via the UFA and a good, but not true #1 guy (Langkow?), as well.

Or maybe fill one hole via UFA market and another via trade. There are a lot of pieces to play with and if a trade is used, that'll cut some money out of the budget while still providing that upgrade.

We'll see how things play out, but for now, I'm being optimistic.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
  #29
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
This team needs an elite puck moving defensemen in a bad bad way.
If a team can average 2.49 goals a game then the defensive part of the game is not the problem. That's a playoff team number on any day of the week. But, the point of having those defenseman contribute to the breakout, or offense is. We do need to improve that part of the game.

In the end it's scoring that has prevented us from being better, and a big part of that offense starts with the defense. So, I agree, we need an elite puck moving defenseman and we need the defenseman we have to advance the puck either better or differently.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
  #30
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
On the Foote front, from PuckRakers:

Quote:
Howson is at once optimistic and realistic. He wants to get a multi-year deal done. (Howson said it definitely would not be a single-year offer.) Obviously, the two sides must be in the same financial neighborhood.
I'm hoping the number Howson is thinking is no more than 3 years and preferably 2.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
  #31
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I think Hainsey is the one to go. I actually have always kind of liked the guy, but I think he's the one area we can improve on. OKT is really growing on me as a depth player. At this point, I would like to keep him around. He is a great locker room presence as well.

Assuming we keep Foote, which I have personally just come to terms with(not a big fan), I hope we keep Hejda, Russell, and Methot is in the mix with OKT.

I really felt like Klesla was coming into his own, until a few weeks ago. Yeah, he's a solid #4 defenseman right now, but man if the growing pains aren't painful for everyone. I'm starting to wonder about the guy.

Maybe trading Klesla and hanging on to Hainsey could be interesting.

Foote-Campbell
Hejda-Hainsey
Russell-Methot/OKT

But does Howson have the cash/pieces to trade for Campbell as well as re-sign Hejda and Hainsey?
Cambell can move the puck and would change our teams breakout drastically, but he is going to want 6 mln a year or more. We can't afford that for a defenseman now or especially in 3 or 4 years if we continue to be in the small market category.

Our best hope is Russell, Hainsey and experimenting with other younger depth ($)(if we have any). Now that I think of it perhaps that is part of the recent issues with Methot and Tolle, they may not be good moving the puck and may never be good at it. Russell is and will get better, Hainsey is decent also.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
  #32
MFRONE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sheffield Lake, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Hejda is only making $1 million this season so the Jackets won't have to break the bank to re-sign him

MFRONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
  #33
WrightOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
On the Foote front, from PuckRakers:



I'm hoping the number Howson is thinking is no more than 3 years and preferably 2.
I hope for 2. Three is too many and four would be just wrong.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
  #34
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Hejda is only making $1 million this season so the Jackets won't have to break the bank to re-sign him
No, but they will have to pay him more and it'd be wise to sign him for more than one year.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
  #35
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
I hope for 2. Three is too many and four would be just wrong.
Agreed, 2 would be a good number. But if Chimera is getting 1.85 I'm sure Foote will want at least 2.5-3. (I know they are different positions but there is still some intra lockerroom comparing going on I would think)

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:20 PM
  #36
WrightOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
No, but they will have to pay him more and it'd be wise to sign him for more than one year.
Hejda will be 2-3 yrs at 2.2-2.5 per. Just a guess.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
  #37
WrightOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agreed, 2 would be a good number. But if Chimera is getting 1.85 I'm sure Foote will want at least 2.5-3. (I know they are different positions but there is still some intra lockerroom comparing going on I would think)
Yeah, I'll be surprised if Foote gets less than 3. Closer to 4mil probably.

2 yrs

3.8
3.5

Another guess.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
  #38
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
I think you're right on with those contracts(God, pun intended... or not?!).

I'd like Hejda for 3 at 2.5, and at this point I'll live with Foote for 2 at 3.5. I just hope that 6 mil isn't the money we were saving for a Patrick Marleau.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:48 PM
  #39
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
I was also looking at something...aside from Nash and Zherdev, nobody else on this team has 10 goals.

Secondary scoring, like struggles on the road, have ALWAYS been a problem with this team.

Now I know what some people will say..."Modin has been out virtually all season." Yeah, but there's no way to know if he'd have 10 goals by now...look at the drop off Vybes has had.

I'd say Secondary scoring is still the achilles heel of this team...I'd rather have 5 guys with 12-16 goals then have two guys with over half.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
  #40
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,303
vCash: 500
I'd take Foote for two more years.
His play has been better this year, once surrounded with more capable partners and being pulled off the PP. Most importantly, he's a respected guy both here and league-wide, him wanting to resign here, especially before hitting the market is a nice endorsement. Even if we miss the playoffs, it tells our team and potential free agents that we're serious about winning.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
  #41
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I was also looking at something...aside from Nash and Zherdev, nobody else on this team has 10 goals.

Secondary scoring, like struggles on the road, have ALWAYS been a problem with this team.

Now I know what some people will say..."Modin has been out virtually all season." Yeah, but there's no way to know if he'd have 10 goals by now...look at the drop off Vybes has had.

I'd say Secondary scoring is still the achilles heel of this team...I'd rather have 5 guys with 12-16 goals then have two guys with over half.
I think the falloff in Vybornys game this year has had an impact our success as much as anything. The secondary scoring has really been a problem and probably more significant than we give time to discuss it. Even if we do get a center three skilled guys are still not enough. I'd say if a team doesn't count on the secondary scoring they would need at least 4 or 5 skilled guys on the top lines. We must get better scoring out of the defense, 3rd and 4th lines even if we do get one more skilled guy at the top. At least I would think so anyway.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
  #42
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
Chimmer did just get his tenth earlier tonight... lol

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
  #43
ca5150
Registered User
 
ca5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
We need a Batman to Russell being "Robin".

We need a mentor for our little scoring machine in waiting. I don't want Hainsey trying to teach him anything, that's just scary!...

Other then that, I am find with Foote, Hejda, Russell, and Methot. I guess I'm ok with Hainsey in a defensive role (I know, he get's points too).

I really want to trade OKT.

Next up....
What is your obsession with trading OKT?? We need his toughness and he's steady in his own end. He's playing with a rookie who is not great defensively yet and he's still a plus player. And last year he was a plus player, one of the few. He doesn't have a big salary like Klesla nor is he consistently out of position like Klesla. Klesla and Hainsey are clearly the odd men out here in my opionion. They are the weak links on our D.

I would like to see this lineup

FA big time puck mover-Russell
Foote-Hejda
OKT-Methot

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
  #44
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
What is your obsession with trading OKT?? We need his toughness and he's steady in his own end. He's playing with a rookie who is not great defensively yet and he's still a plus player. And last year he was a plus player, one of the few. He doesn't have a big salary like Klesla nor is he consistently out of position like Klesla. Klesla and Hainsey are clearly the odd men out here in my opionion. They are the weak links on our D.

I would like to see this lineup

FA big time puck mover-Russell
Foote-Hejda
OKT-Methot
Klesla has a big salary? Wow, have you really looked at d-man salaries in this league?

And you are going to put a " a rookie who is not great defensively yet" on our top pairing with a puck moving d-man (who likely will not be as defensively strong as say, Jan Hejda)?


CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.