HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks-Rangers need to find out what Jagr is worth

Old
02-10-2008, 05:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks-Rangers need to find out what Jagr is worth

Quote:
When the Rangers look to next year, Glen Sather's obligation will be to find a first-line right wing who is compatible with Gomez, rather than to find a first-line center who is compatible with Jagr.

Which is why the Rangers GM is obligated now to find out what he can get in return for Jagr as the Feb. 26 trade deadline approaches
Quote:
The Rangers have changed since then. The Euro is no longer the currency in the room. Jagr has not changed. He can't or he won't after 17 years in the league in which he has carved a Top 25 all-time career. He wants and/or needs to play a slow-down puck-possession game with linemates who share his vision. Gomez needs to play a hurry-up, give-and-go game with linemates who share his speed.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102008...766.htm?page=1

I agree with LB 1000%

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Kostik

Jagr did change a lot.
Never saw him playing defensively as this year/last year play offs.
Problem of the trade is, Jagr has not so big market value imo.
In short, Jagr for remainder of the season(and hopefully play offs)4 >> his current trade value.
Imho, Shanny is more valuable trade bait than Jagr.
P.S: dunno who reported that(Zipay, Dellapina), but Jagr has NTC.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I agree with LB 1000%
I am not saying that you guys are wrong, but you need to do a better job when it comes to potential suitors.

Detroit and Dallas wouldn't be willing to move the young keypices we would want back, like a Kronwall.

Why would Phoenix want JJ for a couple of month?

I don't know wheter to cry or laugh when Brooks seems to suggest that Maloney would trade Kyle Turris or Mueller along with a player/prospect and a 1st round pick for Jagr...

It should be law on HF that every cry for trading Jagr is accompied with a serious potential taker and return.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Kostik

Btw good article by Brooks.
I agree with that as well.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102008...766.htm?page=1

Quote:
This is not a call for Sather to give Jagr the bum's rush out of New York, my goodness it is not that. Jagr has been an immense Ranger throughout his Broadway tour; Sather's best acquisition and the best big-name acquisition since Mark Messier. Jagr is the individual most singularly responsible for the franchise's return to hockey credibility following the lockout. He has earned credit in New York. No one should ever forget that.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 07:03 AM
NYRangers09

This is the article I have been waiting for. Jagr is worth so much

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post
This is the article I have been waiting for. Jagr is worth so much
I don't know, its maybe not the best measure stick but I mean go to Detroits board and ask what they think about Valter Filppula, Niklas Kronwall and a 1st for Jagr. And have in mind that Filppula is a prototype of a career 3rd lineer and that Kronwall have been very injuryprone so far in his career.

Ask STL fans what they think about a Boyes, Berglund and 1st.

Ask Montreal fans what they think about a Komisarek, Kostitsyn and a 1st deal...

I think everyone would laugh at thoose proposals.

We are talking about a 2 month rental of Jagr here. A struggling Jagr. A Jagr with a terrible rep in this league. A Jagr who usually needs allot of time to develop chemistry with linemates. A Jagr who ideally needs a unit designed around him; which means that anyteam that brings him in needs to completly restructre one of their units like a handful of weeks before the PO's.

I am not saying that I wouldn't take something like Martin Havlat, Jack Skille and a 1st from Chicago if they wanted to reunite Jagr with Lang, and give Toews and Kane some rolemodels/relief while making a push for the PO's -- but I think its really really unlikely that Slats will find a deal like that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know, its maybe not the best measure stick but I mean go to Detroits board and ask what they think about Valter Filppula, Niklas Kronwall and a 1st for Jagr. And have in mind that Filppula is a prototype of a career 3rd lineer and that Kronwall have been very injuryprone so far in his career.

Ask STL fans what they think about a Boyes, Berglund and 1st.

Ask Montreal fans what they think about a Komisarek, Kostitsyn and a 1st deal...

I think everyone would laugh at thoose proposals.

We are talking about a 2 month rental of Jagr here. A struggling Jagr. A Jagr with a terrible rep in this league. A Jagr who usually needs allot of time to develop chemistry with linemates. A Jagr who ideally needs a unit designed around him; which means that anyteam that brings him in needs to completly restructre one of their units like a handful of weeks before the PO's.

I am not saying that I wouldn't take something like Martin Havlat, Jack Skille and a 1st from Chicago if they wanted to reunite Jagr with Lang, and give Toews and Kane some rolemodels/relief while making a push for the PO's -- but I think its really really unlikely that Slats will find a deal like that.
Just give me Berglund straight up...

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:59 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I can see a team like San Jose taking a serious run at Jagr if he were made available. They have had the problem recently of having extremely good teams and then bowing out in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. Also their next highest point getter is Michalek, who has 36 points, and their highest goal scorer is Michalek as well with 18. Jagr with Thornton would be insane.

Something along the lines of Michalek and Wishart and a conditional 1st if the Sharks go so far in the playoffs or if Jagr re-signs with the team, might not be too crazy (Although it might be very tough to get Michalek away from them). Or

Setoguchi, Carle, and a 1st

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I can see a team like San Jose taking a serious run at Jagr if he were made available. They have had the problem recently of having extremely good teams and then bowing out in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. Also their next highest point getter is Michalek, who has 36 points, and their highest goal scorer is Michalek as well with 18. Jagr with Thornton would be insane.

Something along the lines of Michalek and Wishart and a conditional 1st if the Sharks go so far in the playoffs or if Jagr re-signs with the team, might not be too crazy (Although it might be very tough to get Michalek away from them). Or

Setoguchi, Carle, and a 1st
I like Petrecki and Couture better.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:13 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I like Petrecki and Couture better.
totally forgot about Couture. I was thinking in trading for Setoguchi and Carle, you get 2 NHL ready players, whereas with Petricki you will have to wait about two years and Couture, probably another year. That could be a good offer as well, though.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

San Jose: Jagr, Prucha, Callahan, 2008 2nd round pick

Rangers: Setoguchi, Bernier, 2008 1st round pick, remainder of Jagr's current salary.

Brunnstrom(FA) - Gomez - Hossa(FA)
Bernier - Drury - Cherepanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Setoguchi
Korpikoski - Betts - Orr

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 02-10-2008 at 09:24 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
blue2noise

That's probably the best Brooks article in a long, long time and I couldn't agree with him more! Too many people don't realize this team is still being re-built.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:24 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
San Jose: Jagr, Prucha, Callahan, 2008 2nd round pick

Rangers: Setoguchi, Bernier, 2008 1st round pick, remainder of Jagr's current salary.
Under the new CBA, a team cannot pick up another players salary when they trade them away. The Sharks are about 10 million under the cap, so obsorbing Jagr's 4.93 million or whatever it is will not be a problem. I think Jagr by himself will net something like a player, a prospect, and a pick (Maybe a pick depending on the player and prospect coming in return). He wont get as much as Marian Hossa will get in return, but he will probably get something a little bit less then what Mats Sundin would get in a trade.

Some combination of Bernier, Setoguchi, Carle, Vlasic, Wishart (I personally think of these players listed, he would be the hardest to aquire), Petricki, Couture, and/or a 1st would net Jagr. Sather would not deal him unless he would get something decent in return, because that would pretty much be raising the white flag on the season (But you never know).

Old
02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have a man crush on Setoguchi and Bernier.

Setoguchi's speed.

Bernier's size and strength.

Sign Brunnstrom.

Add Cherepanov.

Add Korpeedo on the 4th line for speed and offense.

Draft Filatov.

That is a hell of a skating team.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
How about this

Jagr
Malik
Straka
Dawes

to CGY

Tanguay
Sarich
Backlund

Calgary would be taking back a net cap hit of 2.922......i doubt they would do this but i figured it could be a starting point...figured it could be worth a shot

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:30 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

At the same time...

Imagine for the Sharks:

Michalek - Thornton - Jagr
Cheechoo - Marleau - Prucha

Id say that's a fair trade.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:31 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
I have a man crush on Setoguchi and Bernier.

Setoguchi's speed.

Bernier's size and strength.

Sign Brunnstrom.

Add Cherepanov.

Add Korpeedo on the 4th line for speed and offense.

Draft Filatov.

That is a hell of a skating team.
There is no denying that both players are solid players, but I think if the Rangers were to deal Jagr, I think they would try to get a combo of a forward and a D-man in return. Image A future D-core (If the Rangers aquired one of Wishart, Carle, or Petricki) of:

Staal-Wishart/Petricki/Carle
Sauer-Sangs
Toots-Girardi
Baranka

And when Lundqvist starts playing the way he should be playing (Which I think he will soon, without a doubt in my mind) Thats one hell of a defense for many, many years to come.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
There is no denying that both players are solid players, but I think if the Rangers were to deal Jagr, I think they would try to get a combo of a forward and a D-man in return. Image A future D-core (If the Rangers aquired one of Wishart, Carle, or Petricki) of:

Sauer-Sangs
Toots-Girardi
Baranka

And when Lundqvist starts playing the way he should be playing (Which I think he will soon, without a doubt in my mind) Thats one hell of a defense for many, many years to come.
I wouldn't.

Not for Jagr.

I would get the guys i listed. All forwards.

We have a hell of a lot more holes to fill up front next year and beyond then we do on the blue line. Considering we still have Sanguinetti who will more then likely be in the NHL next year.

REMEMBER, we still have Straka, Malik, Mara, Avery, Rozsival, Montoya to trade and get defense in return.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
I wouldn't.

Not for Jagr.

I would get the guys i listed. All forwards.

We have a hell of a lot more holes to fill up front next year and beyond then we do on the blue line. Considering we still have Sanguinetti who will more then likely be in the NHL next year.

REMEMBER, we still have Straka, Malik, Mara, Avery, Rozsival, Montoya to trade and get defense in return.
If Jagr is dealt, then I def. think Straka would be dealt too. Of those listed, I don't see Rozsival being dealt. As you said, Sangs will not be ready for at least another year, so dealing Rozy away would just create another hole. I don't see the Rangers dealing Avery away either, but Malik, Mara, Straka, and Montoya I could see being dealt.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Sauer-Sangs
Toots-Girardi
Baranka

I loved Petrecki coming into this draft. (He'd bring an element of meanness that the Rangers don't have in excess on their blueline.)

Old
02-10-2008, 09:49 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
If Jagr is dealt, then I def. think Straka would be dealt too. Of those listed, I don't see Rozsival being dealt. As you said, Sangs will not be ready for at least another year, so dealing Rozy away would just create another hole. I don't see the Rangers dealing Avery away either, but Malik, Mara, Straka, and Montoya I could see being dealt.
Not to be confrontational... but i fully believe Sanguinetti is ready NOW. And that he will win his roster spot out of camp.

He IS the best defensman in Juniors.

And a sure-fire PP QB.

He is a more well rounded player then Staal. Always has been.

There are two certainties, Cherepanov and Sanguinetti will be in the NHL next year.

It is time to build around those guys.

Avery IMO cost way too much, because he is nothing more then a 3rd line player...AT BEST, but ideally a 4th liner. He cost TOO MUCH. The reason he was brought in was to wake up the veteran players. He served his purpose. Time to move on, time to build around speed and skill.

Brunnstrom(FA) - Gomez - Hossa(FA)
Bernier - Drury - Cherepanov
Dawes - Dubinsky - Setoguchi
Korpikoski - Betts - Orr

Orpik - Liles
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Sanguinetti

Lundqvist / Wiikman or Valiquette

Is my ideal team for next year.

Old
02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
mstraka82

LOVE YA JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!, dont care if you stay or go, u will always be known as the best to me

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
LOVE YA JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!, dont care if you stay or go, u will always be known as the best to me
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE Jagr. he is my favorite player in the league behind Ovechkin.

But, i am also a Rangers fan, and have the Rangers best interests at heart.

If that means trading my favorite Ranger because he will bring back major pieces to out future, then so be it. he is a UFA at the end of the season anyway, and hate to burst anyone's bubbles who think we are winning the Cup this year, but we are not. So keeping him here in this place is pointless. Let him go to a team where we can net huge returns and where he can win the Cup.

Hell, Sather traded LEETCH. So...

Old
02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Larry Melnyk

Sather wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't look into the possible bounty for Jagr...TRading him is another story...Despite the "supposed" mismatch in Jagr and Gomez, Jagr has been playing well and doing everything but putting the puck in the net...If he would be able to bury a quarter of his chances---like the two yesterday--it would make a huge difference in this team...Say he gets over this block or mental thing about not scoring (Hinestly, I don't know why he is missing all the gimmes), the flood gates could possibly open for Jagr and his line..Basically, I'm just saying wait to see what happens up to the deadline but keep exploring...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mmmmmm I dont know. Watching the Philly game it kept dawning on me that the Jagr , while not putting up Elite numbers, is still a damn good hockey player.

The Rangers just need not lean on him ANYMORE.

They shouldnt build around any player. They are at their best when they hustle and play Rennys systems as a team.

Dont default to Jagr 5 on 5 , the Power Play.

And to Jagrs credit....he appears to be pretty cool about being a piece of the offense rather than the whole offense, which was the case the last two years.

Renny just has to stop going to him as the whole offense.

But for kicks

Jagr for Dustin Brown Straight up

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote