HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komisarek article in Lapresse by Pierre Houde

Old
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Bulis hit

vCash: 500
Komisarek article in Lapresse by Pierre Houde

IF I remember correctly it was Pierre Houde at least. I don't have a link to it as I read it on the paper version yesterday I think... but it was very interesting. (Sorry if already posted, I didn't see it)

It basically said that Gainey saved Komi's carreer on Jan 14th 2005 when he fired Claude Julien.

It says on jan 11th, Komisarek was being sat for the game and he was looking down. Everytime he did a mistake, when he was on the ice, he would sit for a long time afterwards. Gainey came to talk to him. The article doesn't say what he said. I don't think Houde knows either. Anyway, after the conversation, Komi looked cheered, and 3 days later, Julien and Green were fired. Gainey and Carbo replaced them. Then, Komi started seeing more icetime and playing with Markov and he started to build on his confidence and skills.

The point of this is not to prove that Gainey did save his career or not, but at least to aknoledge that he helped a lot.

And that explains to me WHY he fired Julien. Of course there was the slump, but to me, the success of our young core players, and possible futur captain is a much better reason than a slump(by the players).

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Cariboux

I will always remember the game against the Leafs when Komisarek hit Tucker so many games and the game after, Julien removed him from the lineup

Cariboux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Transported Upstater

The Habs not only NEED Komi...they could use a clone or two.

I love the guy.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
redmachine54

I didn't like the way Julien handled the young players as well. We started '05-'06 with Perezhogin on the top line, but after Kovalev's injury, he was demoted fast; he had Higgins playing third-fourth line minutes in a defensive role; and obviously, there was the benching of Komi every time the puck rolled over his stick.

I still think Julien's a decent coach (consider Boston), but with the team we had at the time and the phase we were going through, he should've handled the youth differently.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 243
I remember and that's why i like Bob Gainey, he's not afraid to put the youngster in situation they can blossom in. I as a bit sad about Samsonov but he traded him away before it was too late.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post
I didn't like the way Julien handled the young players as well. We started '05-'06 with Perezhogin on the top line, but after Kovalev's injury, he was demoted fast; he had Higgins playing third-fourth line minutes in a defensive role; and obviously, there was the benching of Komi every time the puck rolled over his stick.

I still think Julien's a decent coach (consider Boston), but with the team we had at the time and the phase we were going through, he should've handled the youth differently.
I remember there was one game where Kostitsyn played like 46 seconds IN TOTAL.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
IF I remember correctly it was Pierre Houde at least. I don't have a link to it as I read it on the paper version yesterday I think... but it was very interesting. (Sorry if already posted, I didn't see it)

It basically said that Gainey saved Komi's carreer on Jan 14th 2005 when he fired Claude Julien.

It says on jan 11th, Komisarek was being sat for the game and he was looking down. Everytime he did a mistake, when he was on the ice, he would sit for a long time afterwards. Gainey came to talk to him. The article doesn't say what he said. I don't think Houde knows either. Anyway, after the conversation, Komi looked cheered, and 3 days later, Julien and Green were fired. Gainey and Carbo replaced them. Then, Komi started seeing more icetime and playing with Markov and he started to build on his confidence and skills.

The point of this is not to prove that Gainey did save his career or not, but at least to aknoledge that he helped a lot.

And that explains to me WHY he fired Julien. Of course there was the slump, but to me, the success of our young core players, and possible futur captain is a much better reason than a slump(by the players).

Julien is a coach who is able to win with an established veteran roster.He's not a developmental coach who is able to favour the emergence of young players.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post

Nice analysis. I admit this is a side of the story that I completely missed at the time. I didn't know as much about prospects and hockey in general as I do now(not that I am THAT knowing, but way more than I was a couple years ago). I was pissed that the coach had to pay for the slump because I thought the players would just keep on getting away with it when it's their fault... but Gainey wanted his man, Carbo, and Julien did mishandle Komi(and others) in retrospective. So it's all fine. And now we finally have the stability I so wanted.

It's just sad that we lost Perezhogin. He had a concussion, but when he came back for the last few games, Gainey played him. Maybe things would have been different if it wasn't for the concussion...

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote