HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I'm tired of the complaining about the reffing...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2008, 11:16 PM
  #1
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,044
vCash: 500
I'm tired of the complaining about the reffing...

Not because it's not warranted, because I truly believe we have been getting shafted a lot lately, but I don't want to hear about it because it means nothing. The Rangers have no powerplay. we have a fantastic ability to kill 2 minutes and break even when we have the man advantage, nothing else. Usually I rather see this team not on the PP than on it, because they get more accomplished 5 on 5, it seems, than they do on the PP. if anything their failed powerplays seem to energize the opposition and deflate us.

Im almost happy, or at least not super upset, that we are getting shafted. Our PP is so damn atrocious I'd rather just not see it out there.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
  #2
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Reffing will never be perfect. I think i blamed 1 game on reffing this season (it was that bad)..but you know what...every team gets a bad game every once and awhile. Who cares..the good teams battle through it and still win.

Reffing should never be the reason for a lose.

Its a good excuse though people like to through out after a lose.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:20 PM
  #3
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Reffing will never be perfect. I think i blamed 1 game on reffing this season (it was that bad)..but you know what...every team gets a bad game every once and awhile. Who cares..the good teams battle through it and still win.

Reffing should never be the reason for a lose.

Its a good excuse though people like to through out after a lose.
perhaps, but bad reffing can definitely influence games.

You score on a bad call the other way, its very deflating for the other team.


all im saying is, it would be more valid if this team could do a single effing thing on the powerplay. but since they cant, the missed calls really mean nothing.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:26 PM
  #4
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,694
vCash: 500
I have certainly been guilty of blaming the reffing, but at the end of the day I agree - the good teams battle through it. Our PP is lackluster at best and our PK isn't much better - but it is frustrating to see how poor/inconsistent the officiating is sometimes.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:09 AM
  #5
Merlin401
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Every team's fans thinks they are getting shafted. The Rangers clearly not getting shafted at all. Worst penalty yesterday: Pronger for holding Orr... what? He never even touched him.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
  #6
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,346
vCash: 500
Awards:
If you want to get the benefit of the calls (and the bounces, for that matter), you outwork the team you're playing against. It's that simple.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
  #7
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Every team's fans thinks they are getting shafted. The Rangers clearly not getting shafted at all. Worst penalty yesterday: Pronger for holding Orr... what? He never even touched him.
explain giggy playing the puck in the corner

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
  #8
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Every team's fans thinks they are getting shafted. The Rangers clearly not getting shafted at all. Worst penalty yesterday: Pronger for holding Orr... what? He never even touched him.
Uh, or the uncalled BLATANT checking from behind by Beuchamin and the elbow to the face of Gomez by him as well.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
  #9
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
No, the reffing sucks. There are plenty of issues on this team...inconsistent goaltending and defense, offense that can't hit the empty net...but that doesn't excuse the fact that we are getting rooked over and over by the refs.


broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
  #10
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
explain giggy playing the puck in the corner
And knocking his own net off.

And I also have noticed through the course of the season that whenever a Ranger does so much as touches a goalie its interference, yet Lundqvist gets pummeled on occasion with no call.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
  #11
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Every team's fans thinks they are getting shafted. The Rangers clearly not getting shafted at all. Worst penalty yesterday: Pronger for holding Orr... what? He never even touched him.
But there's a difference between a missed call in the first period in a 1 goal game, and a missed call in the third in a 2 goal game. I'm not excusing the latter, but you can't complain about it as much, as it doesn't effect the outcome as significantly.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
  #12
mstraka82
 
mstraka82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
they are all new york haters

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
  #13
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,486
vCash: 500
inferno...

in last night's game, the Rangers got two gifts from the refs. I'm still wondering what Schneider did to warrant getting a penalty.

Singn' makes the best point. When you work hard you get the benefit of the calls. And considering the Rangers rank in the top 10 in terms of PP opportunities, they do seem to be getting their fair share.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
  #14
Stoney La Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
While I'm not going to blame the refs for the problems that the Rangers are experiencing, IMO the level of officiating has been deteriorating over the last season and a half. The blatant inconsistencies of the calls are what steams me. In the same game you have one side getting blasted for phantom offenses and the other team gets a free pass for obvious ones. It's not just the Rangers I'm talking about - I've seen it with plenty of other teams this season, and it's really frustrating because it can definitely influence the outcome of a game, and if I'm frustrated just watching it I can only imagine what it's like for the players.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:40 AM
  #15
Rags225
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
While I'm not going to blame the refs for the problems that the Rangers are experiencing, IMO the level of officiating has been deteriorating over the last season and a half. The blatant inconsistencies of the calls are what steams me. In the same game you have one side getting blasted for phantom offenses and the other team gets a free pass for obvious ones. It's not just the Rangers I'm talking about - I've seen it with plenty of other teams this season, and it's really frustrating because it can definitely influence the outcome of a game, and if I'm frustrated just watching it I can only imagine what it's like for the players.
I agree. I think that the officiating is going back to the pre-lockout days again. interference on dump ins are common and uncalled for again. Cross checks, and elbows are being ignored.

The only penalty they seem to be focused on is hooking and hold where they call some of the weakest penalties.

The league really has to get its s*** together w/ the officiating. Im tired of seeing our players (and other teams) try to dump in the puck only to have a guy blocking his every move, and running him into the boards. I'm tired of seeing moving picks and nothing getting called. it goes for both sides.

The game is becoming boring again b/c of these things. Players' speed is being negated b/c of interference. it's getting ridiculous.

And I don't know how in the montreal or Anaheim game that one of our players fought a person who had a faceshield on and the guy w/ a faceshield doesn't get an extra penatly. Isn't that automatic. i don't see how there can be a discrepency on those calls.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
  #16
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Not because it's not warranted, because I truly believe we have been getting shafted a lot lately, but I don't want to hear about it because it means nothing. The Rangers have no powerplay. we have a fantastic ability to kill 2 minutes and break even when we have the man advantage, nothing else. Usually I rather see this team not on the PP than on it, because they get more accomplished 5 on 5, it seems, than they do on the PP. if anything their failed powerplays seem to energize the opposition and deflate us.

Im almost happy, or at least not super upset, that we are getting shafted. Our PP is so damn atrocious I'd rather just not see it out there.
I was tlaking about the reffing last night with my cousin. League-wide its a joke. SO its a level playing field.

Yes, the Rangers get shafted on a nightly basis, especially when you considered how Jagr gets R A P E D every night.

But heres the kicker- the Rangers are 2nd in the NHL in PP opportunities. 2ND

So theres really no argument, they get their chances. They just dont come through big.
Maybe if they did, teams would be more weary and play a more passive game against them, and then Jagr and co. would have more room to operate.

The PP is killing the Rangers big time. The fear of that unit should be big. But its not and its killing them.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
  #17
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The PP is killing the Rangers big time. The fear of that unit should be big. But its not and its killing them.
That is a great point. You don't convert on the PP and it's hard to win games.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
  #18
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!
 
Nekz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nekz
What we NEED is some sort of ability to challenge calls. Solve everything.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
  #19
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
What we NEED is some sort of ability to challenge calls. Solve everything.
True, something like the NFL has. Like you get 1 challenge per period...but what happens if you lose, do you get a 2 minute bench minor? And what kinds of calls could be challenged? Obviously the illegal touching of the puck could be reviewed because it can be clearly proven...perhaps even a missed elbow to the face. But how could you review a hook or a hold?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
  #20
redfzn
#94
 
redfzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
What we NEED is some sort of ability to challenge calls. Solve everything.
We need the "Madden Challenge" in the NHL

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
  #21
redfzn
#94
 
redfzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
True, something like the NFL has. Like you get 1 challenge per period...but what happens if you lose, do you get a 2 minute bench minor? And what kinds of calls could be challenged? Obviously the illegal touching of the puck could be reviewed because it can be clearly proven...perhaps even a missed elbow to the face. But how could you review a hook or a hold?
I don't think missed hooks and holds would/should be challenged but they can be proved via replay the same way as that missed elbow.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
  #22
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,125
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No, the reffing sucks. There are plenty of issues on this team...inconsistent goaltending and defense, offense that can't hit the empty net...but that doesn't excuse the fact that we are getting rooked over and over by the refs.

Dude the reffing last night went both ways. Schneider was called for.....nothing, there were trips and hooks not called, and the Rangers still had more ppls than the Ducks. What exactly is there to complain about? The opportunities were right there!

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
  #23
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Dude the reffing last night went both ways. Schneider was called for.....nothing, there were trips and hooks not called, and the Rangers still had more ppls than the Ducks. What exactly is there to complain about? The opportunities were right there!
True, we had out chances and blew it. But I still contend that a missed call in the first in a tight game has more weight than a blown call in the third when a team is trailing by more than 1 goal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:50 PM
  #24
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,602
vCash: 500
It seems to me anyway that the league had better officiating when there was only one referee. Maybe it's just me though--it's just like the quality of officiating with each new season gets exponentially worse. As for the Rangers bringing it on themselves by often getting outworked there is something to that but it is only part of the equation--other teams come to MSG loaded for bear whether it's a division rival or whether it's an out of conference game--the NYC trip is one they tend to especially look forward to. In some respect I think the same applies to officials--MSG is as center stage as it gets for them too. Back of their minds I think they don't want to be seen giving the home team any extra advantages.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
  #25
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
I'm not. I see where your coming from, but it's absolutely horrendous and makes or breaks games.

Seeing as momentum is probably one of the biggest factor's in a hockey games, refs can kill that in ONE FELL SWOOP and always do.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.