HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist is not a superstar

Old
02-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Lundqvist is not a superstar

There is no way this guy gets a 6-7 million a year contract the way he is playing. This guy has not won a game on his own in months and tonight was yet another example of a piss poor goaltending costing us a game. Hank is not playing good enough to win games.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Yea....mmmm

well his goaltending didnt cost them the game.

but I wonder what Sathers pondering just the same.....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yes, piss poor goaltending.

couldnt agree with you more.

The rat ******* couldnt stop a 2 on 1 break, or, the other 2 on 1 break, or the powerplay with traffic in front of the net when they banged home the rebound, or the Schneider goal with 50 people screening him.

Hes a terrible goalie, get him off this team....

*sigh* the Lundqvist killing is almost as embarassing as the Drury killing....no, check that, its WAY more embarassing than the Drury killing.

Kill Henrik when he is giving up softies. Dont kill him when he gives up a 2 on 1 goal.

And here is something for you all to consider. 15 shots, when 12 of them are super high quality scoring chances, is MUCH better than 35 shots where 3 of them are high quality chances.

Henrik is not the problem on this team. The problem is that you have a team filled with stars who are not playing a fundamentally sound game.

When Mara pinches like that, it was a forwards responsibility (Callahan I believe) to drop back and cover his point. Instead all 4 were trapped when they didnt get the puck on net, and you had an oddman rush against.

Fundamentals. If you dont have it, all the talent in the world won't save you.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Dagoon44

I think it cost us. The shot on the second goal was really very stoppable then the 3rd one just killed us.

Old
02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
There is no way this guy gets a 6-7 million a year contract the way he is playing. This guy has not won a game on his own in months and tonight was yet another example of a piss poor goaltending costing us a game. Hank is not playing good enough to win games.
And shucks...I thought us only scoring 1 goal was the reason..

Damn you lundqvist for not getting a shutout against the Stanley Cups Champs!

Too bad Orr couldnt score a few goals every once and awhile with all that icetime he is getting. But I guess that is what we can expect from an ECHL player playing in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Yea....mmmm

well his goaltending didnt cost them the game.

but I wonder what Sathers pondering just the same.....
Nah, he's not that stupid.

Lundqvist is the future of the Rangers. If some fans want to panic after him having a below average game be my guest. I just laugh when he gets blamed for a loss when our team can only score 1 goal.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

How did Lundqvist cost us the game at all?

First of all, we scored one goal - I guess it's Lundqvist's fault he didn't get a shutout

The first goal he was screened, the third was a rebound the D couldn't clear, and the fourth was off a PASS on a 2-on-1. You can make a case for the second goal (Perry's), but that's still only one real mistake.

If you want to talk about Henrik not deserving a 6-7 Million dollar deal, that's certainly debatable - but Henrik DID NOT cost us this game.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Can we have him?

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:36 AM
STAALing

Who plays D for your team ?

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
As I said on the GDT, there's no doubt he had a terrible game tonight. Yeah the defense let him down and there was nothing he could do on Schneider's goal, but he was outplayed by Giguere.

With that said, these are the same people who were ready to give him the Vezina in November, so I take it with a grain of salt.

I'd sit him Saturday I think. Valley has played well against the Flyers and it's back-to-back games, but I'd put him right back out there on Sunday. He'll be fine, the whole team is struggling right now.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:39 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I think it cost us. The shot on the second goal was really very stoppable then the 3rd one just killed us.
Yeah, whatever man. You seem to only come out when there's something to complain about

Lundqvist playing great and stealing games only acted as bandaid earlier in the season. Now that he's only playing average this teams real problems are starting to show

The blame priority should be:
Renney
Jagr and Co.
Defense
Lundqvist

This is only logical if you have been following the Rangers all season

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

there should be no doubt about re-signing lundqvist. athough his play has been at times inconsistent he is the future of the rangers.

i honestly think when the jagr era is over you will see not only lundqvist be more consistent but the team as a hole being more consistent. it is alarming the amount of breakaways we give up. hank gets left out to dry a lot.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:48 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
He has been an average goaltender this season, especially from dec on

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
He has been an average goaltender this season, especially from dec on
But thankfully we can still thank him for getting us points from before Dec. Since the team played like garbage before then as well.

The one consistent...the team has played like crap all year long. But we dont have our god to bail us out from Dec on.

Renney...you there? Nah your not.

Sather you there? Time for a coaching change? I think so.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yeah, whatever man. You seem to only come out when there's something to complain about

Lundqvist playing great and stealing games only acted as bandaid earlier in the season. Now that he's only playing average this teams real problems are starting to show

Renney
Jagr and Co.
Defense
Lundqvist

Funny.

I made this point early on in the season when everybody was looking for more forwards. I pointed out that the NYR needed one or two quality defensemen except for Staal.

Some crackpot went ahead and let me know that Henrik needs no help, and referred to the fact that the man had stood on his head for about 500-600 games in a row,,, maybe a slight exaggeration, but nevertheless, little details as in "end of hot streak" or "fatigue" never entered his mind.

I still believe that the NYR needs 1-2 quality defensemen with some skating ability. That wouldn't only help Henke but also alleviate the NYR forwards from running around in their defensive zone to patch up for the D-men who are behind in the plays, which in turn would allow them to come out on the break earlier and in better numbers.

Now, if they somehow could get their hands on a decent back-up goalie to give Henke a night off every now and then, it would be stellar... but I guess Calgary signed Cujo first.

Last edited by Ribban: 02-08-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

Renney
Jagr and Co.
Defense
Lundqvist

AGREE

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:46 AM
The Thomas J.*

Lundquist play has been up & down all year, I dunno if its just 1 thing I think its a bunch of things with him, his Father his pending UFS statys his contracdt negotiations, he is a real mess right now.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

from the gdt....

the interesting thing is, to "Steal" this one, Henrik had to post a shutout. the sheer number of quality chances the opposition is getting frightens me. Ranger fans have been turned into some very spoiled people with their goaltending expectations. its not enough to expect Henrik to make 5-7 great saves (which he did today) but now hes expected to make 10-12 great saves a night. not good saves, im talking about game-breaking saves.

The quality of the shots these teams are getting against us are freaking insane. none of the 4 he gave up are bad goals in my opinion, even the goal by Perry wasnt on him, thats on the defense. Mara pinches, zero rotation to cover for him, 2 on 1 the other way, and Perry gets everything on that shot and beats Henrik. sorry, a 2 on 1 is never on the goalie. not unless the player falls over, and the puck just dribbles into the net with no shot, or something absurd like that.

How about the 2 on 1 where bertuzzi scores? can you seriously blame henrik for that?

how about the pp goal? henrik makes the first save, but there are 3 ducks in front of the net, and nobody covering whats his face who scores the rebound goal.

or the schneider goal? which was a seeing eye shot that henrik couldnt see because he was screened, was that his fault too?

imho, Henrik has really only given up 1 bad goal in recent memory, and that was the parise goal against the devils. the other goals are legit goals, and he is getting just no help out there whatsoever. he still made several amazing saves tonight. but if youre expectation is for him to make all these saves, then im sorry to say, youre in for a rude awakening.

Giggy had to make how many odd man rush saves? Henrik made a couple, and was burned on a couble, how many odd man chances did the Rangers even have?

look back at the goals Henrik has given up in the past dozen games or so. how many of them have been off of odd man rushes where the defenseman pinches, and there is no rotation to cover, or the team makes a neutral zone turnover and traps everyone behind the play?

The defensive coverage, and the oddman rushes against were much better in the beginning of the year, but its changed of late, because teams have figured us out.

How to beat the rangers:

Step 1, don't give them any counter opportunities, just be patient.

Step 2, when the odd man rushes come, and they will, take advantage of them.

Step 3, take physical liberties with the team, even if you are called, their power play does nothing, and you will eventually wear them down.

watch any rangers game and youll see that steady diet of attack. the other teams dont take any risks, they just wait for us to make our usual 5-10 brainfarts, then they go back the other way and score.

we have poor chances, we dont score, so we press even more, and they get even more chances. we take hits, we get frustrated, we take penalties.

its the same old story, and im sick and tired of Henrik being blamed for everything that goes wrong.

Its like Yankee fans blaming arod for everything that goes wrong. Its arods fault that Wang gave up 50,000 runs in the playoffs, its a-rods fault jeter couldnt get a hit to save his life. its arods fault that he cant get a single pitch to hit because the other pitchers arent scared of the lineup around him. sorry, thats not arods fault, thats the team around him who needs to take the blame. Sure, some blame goes on the player, after all, it is their job to come through with the big hit, the big save, etc. But you shouldnt EXPECT the miraculous save, thats just foolish. instead you should DEMAND the team around him put him in a position to not have to make that miraculous save.

Old
02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
mike14

This thread got hijacked quick, the title is "Lundqvist is not a superstar", not "Lundy cost us the game". At the moment it's true, like the team in front of him he's to inconsistent to be called a superstar. Hopefully one day he is because he has the tools, but right now he isn't.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
This thread got hijacked quick, the title is "Lundqvist is not a superstar", not "Lundy cost us the game". At the moment it's true, like the team in front of him he's to inconsistent to be called a superstar. Hopefully one day he is because he has the tools, but right now he isn't.
Thanks for reading the title. The guy should not be getting 6-7 million playing th way he is

Old
02-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
goaltending is a position where even superstars can look pedestrian if the team around him doesnt play well defensively.

Look at some of luongos numbers in florida. look at dipietros numbers.

those are 2 legit goaltending superstars, whose numbers are kinda ugly because the team around them arent that good. its the same thing for henrik. his team isnt playing well, and hes not playing like a god, so his numbers and goals against has gone up significantly.

hes playing very well in my opinion. is he a superstar right now? id still say he is. and id still have no hesitation whatsoever in giving him a long term lucrative contract.

Old
02-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thanks for reading the title. The guy should not be getting 6-7 million playing th way he is
maybe he should have read your post as well...

Quote:
and tonight was yet another example of a piss poor goaltending costing us a game.

Old
02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
maybe he should have read your post as well...
It's the internet, I try to steer clear of the more outlandish statements.

I agree with you that he's played well (not great) but for the moment I have him in the same catagory as DiPi, great young goaltender but still a little to inconsistent

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 04:18 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

As inconsistent as he may be..

it all pans out correctly. Lundqvist is one of the few goaltenders that was nominated as a Vezina Finalist in his rookie season, on top of that, he had the honors his second year, and has good stats in his third.

Say what you want about the guy but he's stolen us more games than he's "lost" us. And there is no other option.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 04:26 AM
Kostik

It's painfull to watch NYR's three biggest stars to have a sucky season.
Jagr, Henke, Shanny...
Henrik has a bad numbers this season, and i think this year defense is better than last year.
Seems like health of his father affected him most(which is completely understandable).
One can only hope it will be same story like last year, from February 07 he was unbeatable.
Pick it up Henrik

P.S: and Lundqvist is easily worth 6-6,5M$/year contract. He has winner mentality, he just need to be more consistent...

Last edited by Kostik: 02-08-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 05:21 AM
Chimp

You are kidding yourselves if you think Lundqvist can save this team all on his own. No goalie can do that and there has never existed one. We have no defense and we have no offense.

I'm repeating myself as a broken record: A goalie who's given the chance to have at least a chance to do his thing needs at least mediocre defense in front of him. Rangers hasn't had that for a long time now.

Where was this thread when he was hung out to dry against LA, a game that he was very solid in and still let in 4 goals in? He had one unlucky goal against Anaheim and all hell breaks loose.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote