HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 2/8/08: 10:30 PM - San Jose Sharks vs Columbus Blue Jackets - false hope edition

Old
02-09-2008, 12:46 AM
ca5150

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
It wasn't a bad call by the ref. If Manny would have gotten his ass off the ice instead of trying to be cute and keep the puck in the zone Fritsche wouldn't have been late on the ice and had to hook there
It was still a bit of a soft call for OT, I'm of the belief that you put the whistle away completely in OT unless it directly prevents a scoring chance and that did not prevent a direct scoring chance.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Granny View Post
It occurs to me that perhaps our team has more faith in themselves than their fans do. I include myself here too, of course. We (a lot of us anyway) started to feel like a "lost cause" about 6 games back. We talked about games being crucial to making the playoffs then. Of course, they all are at this point, but what I am getting at here is the difference in the way our team has played these last 2 games. Maybe they thought "that" was when crunch time began, and felt enough confidence to believe they were still in it, long after a lot of us fans had lost hope. If that's true, then more power to 'em and GO JACKETS!!!!!

Having said that, I hope it's not just what someone said about how good they start playing once they feel the pressure's off.

If I comprehend your message correctly I hope they are not playing so well based on thinking they are done either. Looking at the last two games though I can say Jason Chimera and Fredrik Norrena are the reasons we took 3 out of 4 points. Two guys unexpected to get it done. Other than that not much is different imo..., therein could be the problem. We need more guys than them to step it up.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
It was still a bit of a soft call for OT, I'm of the belief that you put the whistle away completely in OT unless it directly prevents a scoring chance and that did not prevent a direct scoring chance.
um, yeah it did

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
What kills is the goal was scored by a guy planted in front of the net.

Jackets never do that and constantly give up goals like that on the PP
Constantly? C'mon ... Often - Habitually - consistently - maybe ... but constantly?

Oh, wait, this is MFr ... nevermind then

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Another nailbiter ending in a loss, eh? Good thing I was actually out doing stuff instead of wasting my weekend giving myself chest pains watching these guys like I usually do

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:52 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
To be honest, picking the goalie Sunday is a toss up if Leclaire is healthy. If Leclaire is not able to play then I'd play Mason....

Shocked, oh well.
Yeah, I am shocked.

Quote:
.....if "they" attempt to play Mason at he NHL level, or even put the kid on the bench "they" should be fired.....stupid.... Leave the kid alone, one thing he does not need to see is anything short of a winning environment.
Quote:
Trust me, the Blue Jackets can only harm the young Steve Mason by putting him into a potentially NHL playoff race situation....

Least people forget, the probability of Norrena getting hurt is not zero.... If Mason would be forced to face the St' Louis Blues he will get a man's game education-quickly. I don't think it's wise to take that chance....sorry, buts that's my opinion.
Quote:
....the point is, there are other options for a backup to Norrena. As for rewarding Mason, this is the NHL and a team who has struggled for 8 years and seven seasons to make the playoffs. It is not a venue to reward a teenager for a good performance in the World Jrs..... I want players with more experience than Mason at this stage of the season.....

Mason will have his day, now is not that time....imo of course.
What changed your mind, Robert?

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Yotes fans still whining about yesterday.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=475633
That check on Nash is called boarding 99 out of 100 times whether is was a clean shoulder on shoulder hit or not. If the NHL fanbase "can't believe" a penalty was called on the play, they should review the game film on the Vyborny penalty (the Yotes player fell over a broken stick) and the Hejda penalty (it's now a penalty to lift the opponents stick off the puck). Those are the penalties "I can't believe" were called. If those are penalties, the Nash hit surely deserved one as well.

OT: Disappointing game last night. This is nothing new but the team just can't score goals. The most disappointing part is seeing how hard the players have to work to score one lousy goal yet it looks like the other teams scores on them with relative ease. May be the homerism in me but that's what it looks like. More growing pains. This team is young and isn't far away from being really competitive. The only problem is the main pieces they're missing is what every team is looking for. Howson has some work to do. Get busy.

Byrral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
countthecashricknash

I watched the whole game and it seemed as if the CBJ played one of their best team games of the year. Nabokov was amazing last night. Hitch can't complain after last night. If we just keep up this playing style, the goals will come in bunches.

Vyborny still sucks. No late season quality experience and the 9:49 he played last night just seems like too much for a player struggling as much as he is. I'd rather see Murray, Brule, or Brass take some more minutes away from him. I realize they are young, but they have been playing well of late.

15-8-2 til playoffs

countthecashricknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Straight Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Another nailbiter ending in a loss, eh? Good thing I was actually out doing stuff instead of wasting my weekend giving myself chest pains watching these guys like I usually do
You missed a good one then. Cause even though the end result was not as we wanted, the team played their hearts out, throughout. I for one was glad I could hang and view one of our better efforts this year.

Straight Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
That check on Nash is called boarding 99 out of 100 times whether is was a clean shoulder on shoulder hit or not. If the NHL fanbase "can't believe" a penalty was called on the play, they should review the game film on the Vyborny penalty (the Yotes player fell over a broken stick) and the Hejda penalty (it's now a penalty to lift the opponents stick off the puck). Those are the penalties "I can't believe" were called. If those are penalties, the Nash hit surely deserved one as well.

OT: Disappointing game last night. This is nothing new but the team just can't score goals. The most disappointing part is seeing how hard the players have to work to score one lousy goal yet it looks like the other teams scores on them with relative ease. May be the homerism in me but that's what it looks like. More growing pains. This team is young and isn't far away from being really competitive. The only problem is the main pieces they're missing is what every team is looking for. Howson has some work to do. Get busy.
We had about 20 scoring chances last night and making scoring chances is all your team can control. Nabokov was insane and goal scoring always has a luck factor to it (deflecting just right, guessing what the goalie is going to do, the goalie just having dumb luck...etc). It seems the CBJ have been getting 0% help on the luck factor lately and it feels like someone cursed us. We looked dominate last night in every aspect except the score and that one shift near the end of the 3rd.

I'll take what the Jackets did last night anytime and usually that effort would equal a 3 goal lead and a solid win.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 12:16 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Agreed.. the CBJ played a great game last night

especially considering b/b on the road. Nice hustle and great effort just ran into the wrong goalie.

San Jose is pretty weak in the defensive end.. and they are firmly entrenched in a playoff spot.. I am a frustrated fan..

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
We had about 20 scoring chances last night and making scoring chances is all your team can control. Nabokov was insane and goal scoring always has a luck factor to it (deflecting just right, guessing what the goalie is going to do, the goalie just having dumb luck...etc). It seems the CBJ have been getting 0% help on the luck factor lately and it feels like someone cursed us. We looked dominate last night in every aspect except the score and that one shift near the end of the 3rd.

I'll take what the Jackets did last night anytime and usually that effort would equal a 3 goal lead and a solid win.
My post may have come out as disappointed in the team or their effort. On the contrary. The effort last night was outstanding and they did everything they needed to do to win.....except score.

Old
02-09-2008, 01:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

They looked LEGITIMATE last night in San Jose. The CBJ may only be a goalscorer away from making a serious run (into the playoffs, not yet for the Cup)

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You gotta go back to Pazzy Sunday, he's the reason we have a chance at the playoffs.

I'm happy with the way the team played tonight, I hope they do it every night.
And Norrena's paly these past two games is why we still have a plausible shot at the playoffs as well...

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
They looked LEGITIMATE last night in San Jose. The CBJ may only be a goalscorer away from making a serious run (into the playoffs, not yet for the Cup)
Better to find out what you've got as far as your team is concerned than make the playoffs. (You can't do both, from what I understand.)

Old
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Freddy's played 2 good games all year, Pazzy has been lights out and is a Vezina candidate right now. You go with the guy to give you the best chance to win, and that's Leclaire.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

A point on the road is worth 2 at home.

You're going to have games where you just come up against a hot goalie. How many games this year has Pazzy stolen?

They keep playing like that on the road we'll be just fine.

Now about those recent home games........

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 02:28 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

so are we just hoping all the teams in front of us completely fall off the map here or what?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
so are we just hoping all the teams in front of us completely fall off the map here or what?
Yeah, we'll never make up that 2 point deficit unless we get alot of help and multiple teams tank it.

Old
02-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Hockey Granny

Two Ways To Look At It

Quote:
We can think (using the estimate that a team is gonna need to have pts. in the mid 90's to get in) that it's not very likely w/ 25 remaining games the CBJ are gonna win 17 or 18. OR, we can choose to see that there are 7 teams with 60-64 pts. vying for the last 4 playoff position spots. We are one of those 7 teams. There is no reason to suppose that any of the 7 will roll over and die. So all 7 are gonna be struggling until the bitter end for every single pt. I think that is why we have finally started to play like we've been. I think our team still believes they have a shot. And so, as a fan, I'm gonna go with that same scenario. I feel better this way.

PS- This was what I was trying to say after the game last night.

Hockey Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
osucbj03

Send a message via AIM to osucbj03
Quote:

I for one have never seen a team come from 4 points out with 20+ games to go. No way.

Seriously. We are now within two points. That could be 8 pts out or us in the 8th spot within a week.

osucbj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
Yeah, we'll never make up that 2 point deficit unless we get alot of help and multiple teams tank it.
Even though you may be right as far as points go I look at the standings a little differently. I figure they are 6 points out of playoff spot but only 7 points out of 5th in the conference. I look at the teams above them, how many games in hand they have on the CBJ and assume they are wins for that team. I also never assume a win for the CBJ.

1. Detroit 56 gms 86 pts (= 88 pts, 28 behind)
2. * Dallas 58 71 (71, 11 behind)
3. * Minnesota 54 64 (70, 10 behind)
4. San Jose 54 67 (73, 13 behind)
5. Anaheim 59 67 (67, 7 behind)
6. Colorado 55 63 (67, 7 behind)
7. Nashville 55 62 (66, 6 behind)
8. Calgary 55 62 (66, 6 behind)
9. Vancouver 55 61 (65, 5 behind)
10. Phoenix 55 60 (64, 4 behind)
11. Columbus 57 60
12. St. Louis 52 55 (65, 5 behind)
13. Edmonton 56 55 (57, 3 ahead)
14. Chicago 54 53 (59, 1 ahead)
15. Los Angeles 56 49 (51, 9 ahead)

May not work for you but this gives me a reality check in measuring how far they have to go. I wouldn't say tank, but they need to play extremely well (.680) and have some other teams slip to get in the 94 point range and give them a chance. But with the overall parity, who knows how many points it's really going to take to get in this year.

Old
02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Kfarschman

I didn't notice how we've played more games than all the teams around us in the standings. But even assuming their games in hand are all wins (they won't be) it doesn't look bad either.

We are in this race.

Old
02-09-2008, 04:43 PM
BennyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
especially considering b/b on the road. Nice hustle and great effort just ran into the wrong goalie.

San Jose is pretty weak in the defensive end.. and they are firmly entrenched in a playoff spot.. I am a frustrated fan..
Actually, the Sharks have the 2nd lowest goals against in the league with 130 (trailing Detroit with 120), largely due to Nabokov, but the whole focus in San Jose is is on team defense. It's not because they don't have fire power up front, but more because it's just Ron Wilson's style and coaching philosophy.

Nabokov was on last night, other than that, the Sharks were outplayed. All of the interviews I've read/have viewed, all quote the Sharks players to state that Nabokov won that game. Good goalies steal one now and then.

The Jackets played a strong game.

BennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 04:53 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

While I don't think making the playoffs at this point would be impossible, I just don't think we have the horses to stay in the race.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote