HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Better future forward: A.Kostitsyn vs Higgins

View Poll Results: Better future forward?
Higgins 13 9.03%
A.Kostitsyn 131 90.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Habsfan 32

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
AK46. I think his defensive game is better then people give him credit for. People are influenced by Yvon who always disses him when he misses a defensive play.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Skyblaze

This is a bit unfair to Higgins to have this poll at this moment in time considering how bipolar us Habs fans tend to be. He's a very good player that just happens to be in what might be the worst slump in his career.

However, Andrei is beginning to show the amazing upside he was touted for back when he was drafted. He reminds me of a young Datsyuk at times and while it is unclear if he has the same upside, I'm tempted to say that a poor man's Datsyuk might be better than Higgins' upside.

If I could compare early-season-Higgins vs. right-now-Kosty though, I'd say Higgins was still a little bit better.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Take this poll after Kostitsyn gets his first multiyear 7 figure contract, has a couple of significant injuries, and has some linemates go AWOL for a couple months.

Or when Higgins inevitably gets hot again.

Having said that they are both on my untouchables list.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
AK46. I think his defensive game is better then people give him credit for. People are influenced by Yvon who always disses him when he misses a defensive play.
exactly...the same way they were influenced bY Yvon last season on Perez's hooking penalties.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:03 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
For overall play including defensive zone- Higgins
For production -----------------------Kostitsyn.
Exactly. Hard to compare these two as they play different styles.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Alfie Turcotte

Kostitsyn.

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Reuben

Im assuming better means more points since that seems to be how too many people measure players worth.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
The Habs' top 2 future forwards, imo.
Sergei will be better than Higgins too imo. Much more vision, better skill, better understanding of the game in the offensive zone, better finish. On top of that his work ethic is just as good.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
The Habs' top 2 future forwards, imo.
Plekanec is the best future forward, not Andrei or Higgins.

Andrei should develop into a 40-40-80 winger on a #1 line.

Higgins should be a 30-40-70 player who competes hard and is strong at both ends...but he needs to relax and just play. He thinks too much and gets in slumps.

To me they are pretty even, just different style players.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Kosty is better all around, especially since Higgins has been in a slump for quite a while now. I think its ridiculous to vote for Higgins as of today.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Kosty is better all around, especially since Higgins has been in a slump for quite a while now. I think its ridiculous to vote for Higgins as of today.
Your reading needs work...the question says FUTURE.

I think Higgins will be fine, he just needs to relax and just play the game. Higgins has the same stats as Andre and has been playing on a line that struggled vs a line that has thrived. Add a guy like Hossa and Higgins is a 70-75 point gritty 2 way winger.

Old
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plekanec is the best future forward, not Andrei or Higgins.

Andrei should develop into a 40-40-80 winger on a #1 line.

Higgins should be a 30-40-70 player who competes hard and is strong at both ends...but he needs to relax and just play. He thinks too much and gets in slumps.

To me they are pretty even, just different style players.

I think you Overrate Higgins once again... This guy doesn't have the top end talent to be a 70 points player !! I mean Koivu was Barely a 75-80 players if paired with good linemates in his prime and you expect Higgins to put up 70 ?!?! Higgins doesn't have half the vision and hockey sense of Koivu. The guy can't score and is streaky as hell. A two-way 40-50 points player seems more accurate for Higgins.

You need talent to be a consistent 70 points player, so sorry but I don't see Higgins in that category !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
JJ68*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
I think you Overrate Higgins once again... This guy doesn't have the top end talent to be a 70 points player !! I mean Koivu was Barely a 75-80 players if paired with good linemates in his prime and you expect Higgins to put up 70 ?!?! Higgins doesn't have half the vision and hockey sense of Koivu. The guy can't score and is streaky as hell. A two-way 40-50 points player seems more accurate for Higgins.

You need talent to be a consistent 70 points player, so sorry but I don't see Higgins in that category !!
Koivu is in his prime was a 70-75 pt guy, never got more then 75. Higgins is maximum 65 pt guy, who might have a career year with 70 one year if all goes well.

JJ68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Mad Habber

I didn't vote and I won't. I like them both for what they bring individually.

Kostitsyn was drafted as a future sniper. That's what we need from him

Higgins is just a coach's wet dream where you can throw him in every game situation and he can find a way to be the best player on the ice. He is just in a slump right now. He'll come out of it and be ready to go in the playoffs.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Higgins is having an up and down year, Ryder's lost his scoring touch and Koivu is also having a crappy year and Higgins is still on pace for 50 points. He was on pace for 30 goals last year before getting hurt. I'm not sure if 70 points is a stretch, especially if they add a Hossa Tanguay or Jokinen to that line...even with a regular year from Ryder and Koivu he'd be close to a 70 point pace.

Old
02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Your reading needs work...the question says FUTURE.

I think Higgins will be fine, he just needs to relax and just play the game. Higgins has the same stats as Andre and has been playing on a line that struggled vs a line that has thrived. Add a guy like Hossa and Higgins is a 70-75 point gritty 2 way winger.
Higgins has more than twice the experience Kosty has. He's been playing on the top line the last 2years, with the same linemates.

Kosty came in at the end last year and had a positive impact. They made him fight for a spot earlier this year against Grabo, switching him from line to line. He's been around a PPG for pretty much the last 35GP.

I have no reason to say Higgins will be the better player in the future. I don't know how Higgins will bounce back, will he go back to what was expected of him when drafted?..a 3rd line center?..
As for Kosty, there's no reason to think he'll have a drop of regime.

Its too soon to judge A.Kost, because we're just starting to see him play. But from what we've seen, and his progression, i dont see why we'd put Higgins in front of him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 04:14 PM
kernkraft

Wow, not even close; 98% for Andrei.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Quote:

Open your eyes.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 04:29 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Wow, not even close; 98% for Andrei.
Says a lot about how posters think things through.

You can liken this poll to trying to compare Chris Drury to Maxim Afinogenov. In a word, stupid, considering they are totally different styles of players.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote