HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rita and Bishai recalled

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Spearing47

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Rita and Bishai recalled

OIlers have recalled Jani Rita and Mike Bishai this morning.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Thanks for the update...I posted it on Oilfans, hope you don't mind. Gave you credit, of course.

I'm a bit surprised Salmo didn't get the nod, he's been on fire of late. Nice to see Rita get his 'last chance' though.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Thanks for the update...I posted it on Oilfans, hope you don't mind. Gave you credit, of course.

I'm a bit surprised Salmo didn't get the nod, he's been on fire of late. Nice to see Rita get his 'last chance' though.
Hehe no problem, I'm a little surprised with Bishai. He was hurt (ankle) and just played 2 games since that. But heard that he was playing great.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I guess that would mean York goes on IR.

01-28-2004, 07:24 PM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
Bishai? Hmm...I guess I'll wait and see what he can do.

Rita? It's about damn time.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:30 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Thanks for the update Goon! It's much appreciated as always. I sure hope Rita makes the most of this opportunity because it could be his last as an Oiler if he doesn't impress Lowe and Co. If the Oilers continue to struggle after this then look for some trades to happen.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Digger12

I'll be curious to see where they play Bishai, isn't he a center? He's listed as one anyway...

I guess they want to see what he can do, from what I've seen of him he seems opportunistic with a nose for the net and has some speed. At this point, what can it hurt?

Old
01-28-2004, 07:42 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Thanks for the info Goon.
All I can say is:

Let's Go Rita!!!

I'm rootin for ya to convince them to make you stay!!!

Old
01-28-2004, 07:43 PM
FacelessButcher

I'm glad Bishai is getting a shot, I think he will be our future 4th liner but he needs some more work on his defensive game so I don't think MacT will let him stay very long on the big club this time around.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Slats432

All I can say is that it took too long to recall Rita, and the fact that our MVP had to go down with injury to do it is another mark on the direction of this team that has me wondering daily.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:52 PM
momentai

If the rumors were true and they were going to call up Rita during the Eastern Conference roadswing... then this "look see" is just a little late due to some untimely injuries.

I must say, though, that I am surprised that Bishai got the call up to the NHL. He's just come off an injury that kept him out a while... but Mike was the #1 offensive center on that team prior to the injury. MacT is going to be going nuts, though, with Mike's defensive game.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:26 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
All I can say is that it took too long to recall Rita, and the fact that our MVP had to go down with injury to do it is another mark on the direction of this team that has me wondering daily.
I disagree, slats432... prior to this 3-game losing streak, the team was flirting with a decent winning (or at least points) streak, and bringing him up earlier would have been the wrong thing to do (IMO). Now, if you meant they should have brought him up in *December*, well, I'd probably agree with you.

It's been a frustration the past few years that when the Oilers go through losing streaks they say they don't want to call anyone up as they're not likely to make a significant difference and they shouldn't be exposed to the mental downer you get when you're going through a big slump like that.

Yet it seems like they could make a call-up just to rattle the cages a little (sort of a warm-up to a trade, which is just about the last resort). They did send MAB down a while back which was supposed to do that, but they have Luoma 'called up' but not playing, so it doesn't really make any difference to the team on the ice.

Should be interesting to see where Rita and Bishai are played & what they do on Thursday, at least!

Bart

Old
01-28-2004, 08:40 PM
zamboni

Rita we could all see coming a mile away, but Bishai? Who would sit for him?

Old
01-28-2004, 09:10 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Why is everyone talking like Bishai is some kind of defensive hand grenade? He hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination. He has actually seen a lot of time on the PK.

This move really does suprise me though... Bishai was one of those guys that you would never really notice on the ice. Mind you I am not a coach or a scout, so I'll certainly give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
This move really does suprise me though... Bishai was one of those guys that you would never really notice on the ice.
I noticed him, but only from the latest scoring summary where he scored 2 goals.

As for why him...maybe because he's the best offensive center the Roadrunners currently have right now? That's not saying a lot, but beggars can't be choosers.

Whatever happened to Sarno? It seems like he fell off the face of the earth. Is he injured?

Old
01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Why is everyone talking like Bishai is some kind of defensive hand grenade? He hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination. He has actually seen a lot of time on the PK.

This move really does suprise me though... Bishai was one of those guys that you would never really notice on the ice. Mind you I am not a coach or a scout, so I'll certainly give them the benefit of the doubt on this.
It is a bit odd, you would think that Wright would get the nod ahead of Bishai. Specially since the Oilers are struggling and could use someone with a bit of NHL experience.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:20 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
It is a bit odd, you would think that Wright would get the nod ahead of Bishai. Specially since the Oilers are struggling and could use someone with a bit of NHL experience.
Maybe, but Bishai is a centre... a position the Oilers are pretty empty at right now.

Old
01-28-2004, 09:22 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I noticed him, but only from the latest scoring summary where he scored 2 goals.

As for why him...maybe because he's the best offensive center the Roadrunners currently have right now? That's not saying a lot, but beggars can't be choosers.

Whatever happened to Sarno? It seems like he fell off the face of the earth. Is he injured?
I don't know what happened... I haven't heard anything (mind you injury news in the AHL isn't as readily available as it is for the NHL). Sarno hasn't been bad by any stretch, but he struggled when he was sent back down, lit it up for about 7 games, then was out of the lineup for about 5 for some reason. Then of course I went on my roadrunner hiatus, and they have only played 3 home games in January (that I have been to).

Old
01-28-2004, 09:38 PM
vb

I'm excited to see how Bishai performs. Local boy and if it hadn't been for that esophagus problem that forced him to a liquid diet he would've been drafted.

Good luck to Rita as well!

Old
01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
momentai

Quote:
From the games I've seen (not that it has been much mind you... ) Bishai loses his man in the defensive zone a lot. He gets caught watching the play when the opposing team is cycling. In one game while Bishai was watching the play, he allowed his man to get 2 wide open one timers from the slot in succession. It's this attention to detail that worries me.

Players in the NHL are faster and are going to be moving all the time. He has to be more aware... This is from a limited viewing, I admit, but take it for what it's worth... an opinion.

Old
01-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Actually the one player that impresses me the most on the RR roster is Salmeleinen. I saw a few games last weekend and he was great. Lots of enery, nice moves.

Old
01-28-2004, 10:31 PM
VayaConDios

I would think it would be Nate DiCasmirro over Bishai, he's got 16 goals this season and is third in points with the Roadrunners. He is a centre too so idonno why they would pick Bishai, especially since he is just coming off an injury. Any ways it is about time Rita got called up.

Old
01-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieDude
I would think it would be Nate DiCasmirro over Bishai, he's got 16 goals this season and is third in points with the Roadrunners. He is a centre too so idonno why they would pick Bishai, especially since he is just coming off an injury. Any ways it is about time Rita got called up.
DiCasmirro's an American, Bishai was born in Edmonton?

Aw, I'm just messin' with ya. Hard to say exactly why one was picked over the other. Bishai is a bit younger and bigger, and from what little I've seen of them both seems to have a bit more offensive talent. Anyway, good for him.

Old
01-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
I don't think it will matter what Rita does on the big team. Listening to MacT's quotes on Bryan Hall's Tony Roma's rib show tonight didn't sound very promising. I think Rita could score at a goal per game clip and in 6 weeks he would be back on the farm or gone as part of a throw in in a trade. Sad really. I wonder what the poor lad has done to deserve this treatment?

Old
01-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi
I don't think it will matter what Rita does on the big team. Listening to MacT's quotes on Bryan Hall's Tony Roma's rib show tonight didn't sound very promising. I think Rita could score at a goal per game clip and in 6 weeks he would be back on the farm or gone as part of a throw in in a trade. Sad really. I wonder what the poor lad has done to deserve this treatment?
What did MacT say?

Closed Thread