HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rita and Bishai recalled

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 02:08 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieDude
I would think it would be Nate DiCasmirro over Bishai, he's got 16 goals this season and is third in points with the Roadrunners. He is a centre too so idonno why they would pick Bishai, especially since he is just coming off an injury. Any ways it is about time Rita got called up.
I've only ever seen Nate play on the left wing but I agree he would be the next guy to get a look up here after Rita. Nate's one of the guys I always noticed when I watched the Dogs play back in Ham.

Why not Hinz over Bishai?

Wasn't Bishai playing in the echl quite a bit last season?

Old
01-29-2004, 04:12 AM
hockeyaddict101

Rita's last stand

I am not real optimistic but I hope that I am completely proven wrong and Rita lights it up.

If I am not he will be gone.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
What did MacT say?

A reporter asked him if Rita would be given a certain length of time to prove himself and MacT said he would be evaluated on every shift, every game, and every practice. It didn't sound very promising to say the least.

I would expect Rita will get slapped on the fourth line in a checking role and get about 7 minutes of ice time per night with the ice time gradually reduced till Rita doesn't get out of the press box.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:24 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi
A reporter asked him if Rita would be given a certain length of time to prove himself and MacT said he would be evaluated on every shift, every game, and every practice. It didn't sound very promising to say the least.

I would expect Rita will get slapped on the fourth line in a checking role and get about 7 minutes of ice time per night with the ice time gradually reduced till Rita doesn't get out of the press box.
Too bad Lowe doesn't evaluate MacT's performance using the same criteria :mad:

Old
01-29-2004, 05:28 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:

If that happens, Lowe better fire MacT right away. Whats the use of drafting players if you're not gonna let them play and develop? If MacT expects every rookie to step up right away and perform like a vet, then there's something seriously wrong with his thinking.

We're not the boys on the bus anymore. Can't expect everybody to be like Gretzky or Kurri and take the scoring title in his first year.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:

I would really like to know why Rita keeps being treated like the red headed stepchild of the Oilers prospects while other guys like Cleary, Horcoff, Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, and Pisani have been given lots of opportunity to make or break their careers...

Seriously, what the hell? I know his work ethic and defensive awareness isn't top notch, but Cleary wasn't Mr. Workaholic either and he was coddled like a lost kitten MacT found lost and shivering in a sewer drain...yet Rita gets talked about like a teenage arsonist out on day parole?

Fine enough if they're going to be tough on him if they feel that's what they have to do with his personality type, but then give him a DECENT chance to showcase his skills like everyone else has been given. If they're just going to put him on the 4th line w/ Georges the Hutt and slop around in the mud with that crew, why even bother calling him up?

These guys literally trip all over themselves trying to give Fernando Pisani a one way deal, but Rita had better wipe his feet and wash his face before he comes to the dinner table or they'll be hell to pay. It's a puzzlement.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:30 AM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

How many players can an NHL team have called up? Because the Oilers have 23 and it seems to me like a little too much? 12 forwards, 6 d, and 2 pressbox is 20, so what am I missing?

EDIT: ok i missed 2 goalies, but we still have 1 player too many, don't we?

Old
01-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
If that happens, Lowe better fire MacT right away. Whats the use of drafting players if you're not gonna let them play and develop? If MacT expects every rookie to step up right away and perform like a vet, then there's something seriously wrong with his thinking.

We're not the boys on the bus anymore. Can't expect everybody to be like Gretzky or Kurri and take the scoring title in his first year.
Agree all the way.

BTW, love the avatar.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
How many players can an NHL team have called up? Because the Oilers have 23 and it seems to me like a little too much? 12 forwards, 6 d, and 2 pressbox is 20, so what am I missing?

EDIT: ok i missed 2 goalies, but we still have 1 player too many, don't we?
The roster limit is 23 - usually 14 forwards, 7 defenceman, and 2 goalies. With Reasoner, York, and Smith on IR, and Rita, Luoma, and Bishai called up, they have 23.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:43 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Why not Hinz over Bishai?

Wasn't Bishai playing in the echl quite a bit last season?
Hinz is more of a defensive center/player. My guess is that the Oilers were thinking of bringing up someone with more offensive touch.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:45 AM
momentai

Quote:
These guys literally trip all over themselves trying to give Fernando Pisani a one way deal, but Rita had better wipe his feet and wash his face before he comes to the dinner table or they'll be hell to pay. It's a puzzlement.
Beautiful.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
The roster limit is 23 - usually 14 forwards, 7 defenceman, and 2 goalies. With Reasoner, York, and Smith on IR, and Rita, Luoma, and Bishai called up, they have 23.
Ahh arite thanks.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:49 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Agree all the way.

BTW, love the avatar.
Thanks!

Old
01-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
I would really like to know why Rita keeps being treated like the red headed stepchild of the Oilers prospects while other guys like Cleary, Horcoff, Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, and Pisani have been given lots of opportunity to make or break their careers...
This is getting to look worse and worse all the time to the point of turning into a Bonsignore-like disaster.

Seriously, the guy was rated as the top nhl prospect b4 the start of last season, and the Oil just have no interest in him at all. Why didn't they trade him when he had some value if they weren't going to give him a shot here?

It would have been bad enough to just sit on him and let him rot, but as if that didn't already diminish the guys trade value enough now MacT has to come and make comments to the media that "yeah, we gotta watch this kid every minute of the day". WTF?!?!?!?

Old
01-29-2004, 06:01 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
It would have been bad enough to just sit on him and let him rot, but as if that didn't already diminish the guys trade value enough now MacT has to come and make comments to the media that "yeah, we gotta watch this kid every minute of the day". WTF?!?!?!?
Yeah, honestly! How much pressure do you think that'll put on Rita now? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play to his ability with all those eyes watching him. Just let the poor kid play and do his thing!! But on the other hand, if he does do well, I'd be even more impressed with him!

Old
01-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Seriously, the guy was rated as the top nhl prospect b4 the start of last season,
No he wasn't.

He was rated top prospect IN THE AHL. Not the best NHL prospect out there. Big difference.

Old
01-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
No he wasn't.

He was rated top prospect IN THE AHL. Not the best NHL prospect out there. Big difference.
Whatever, the point is that he had some trade value and now he is a dark horse to ever be an nhl'er from the way the Oilers go about their business.

If he was bad enough to slip down to 75th or whatever he is at now the Oil should have seen that coming b4 every other scout on the planet, and if he was really that good the Oilers have obviously made some serious mistakes with him for him to come to the end of the line here after only a couple of very short stints.

Rita is at the point after 12 games here that Dan Cleary was at after about 300, [slightexagerration] and they scored the exact same # of goals [/slightexaggeration].

Old
01-29-2004, 02:30 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
No he wasn't.

So what? The point remains that they have screwed around with this guy while giving chumps like Cleary, Horcoff and Pisani way more leeway. This is freaken ridiculous. Rita has more talent in his pinkie than those three guys combined. He could be the sniper we need. Yet they never give him a proper chance? This is BS. I have had it with MacT, that guy has got to go. If I see Horcoff out at vital situations one more time I'm going to punch somebody in the face.

Old
01-29-2004, 04:08 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
So what? The point remains that they have screwed around with this guy while giving chumps like Cleary, Horcoff and Pisani way more leeway. This is freaken ridiculous. Rita has more talent in his pinkie than those three guys combined. He could be the sniper we need. Yet they never give him a proper chance? This is BS. I have had it with MacT, that guy has got to go. If I see Horcoff out at vital situations one more time I'm going to punch somebody in the face.
Uh...where are you watching the game? Just want to be far away...

I think the Oiler's handling of Rita could've been better, but I have a feeling that they're disappointed with how Rita has handled things as well. He's had several poor-to-mediocre camps now, he hasn't been lighting up the AHL lately, and I'd argue that Rita's made it harder for the Oilers to bring him up and keep him here.

I'm with most of you - I hope Rita can really show something to the coaching staff and give them some hope of him becoming a solid (valuable?) NHL player some day soon.

Bart

Old
01-29-2004, 04:21 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Wow... some of you guys are really blowing that quote out of context.

Rita's biggest problem in North America has been his consistency. He'll go great for 8 games, cold for 5, up again for 3, down for 4...

So saying you are going to evaluate him shift by shift, game by game, week by week is only saying that you are looking for consistency. He hasn't learned it in Toronto, but maybe the fact that it is an NHL job and he has to do things in order to stay in the lineup will give him that push he needs to bring it every night.

It also means that if he isn't having a good night, and the team is winning 2-1, don't expect him out there much in the 3rd.

This is how you want your young kids handled. You want them put into a position where they are comfortable, and where they can succed, but at the same time you want to keep them hungry, and let them know they have to bring their game every night.

Old
01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
He may have more talent than all 3 of them, but each of those guys were able to light up the AHL on a consistant basis, thereby proving that they had one of the more valuable NHL skills.

Consistency.

Old
01-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
This is how you want your young kids handled. You want them put into a position where they are comfortable, and where they can succed, but at the same time you want to keep them hungry, and let them know they have to bring their game every night.
I have no problem with this...as long as Rita is accorded a similar opportunity as many of the young guys preceding him have been given, then it's up to him to make or break and that's how it should be.

What I DON'T want to see is him getting his sack hammered the second he makes a mistake in his own zone. As long as he can make a difference offensively, give him some leeway...but not too much.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Uh...where are you watching the game? Just want to be far away...

I think the Oiler's handling of Rita could've been better, but I have a feeling that they're disappointed with how Rita has handled things as well. He's had several poor-to-mediocre camps now, he hasn't been lighting up the AHL lately, and I'd argue that Rita's made it harder for the Oilers to bring him up and keep him here.

I'm with most of you - I hope Rita can really show something to the coaching staff and give them some hope of him becoming a solid (valuable?) NHL player some day soon.

Bart
I agree with your assesment of Rita, but I do think there are some extenuating circumstances. As we've talked about in the past, perhaps Rita is having a hard time keeping his intensity up after getting overlooked time and time again.
I'd have no problem continuing to overlook Rita IF everyone else on the team had %110 energy level.....this is obviously not the case. If they are going to consistently shun Rita, I don't understand how they can give numerous other guys repeated chances when they suffer from the exact same shortcomings. I don't see Chimera/Pisani/Horcoff lighting it up either. I contend that if these 3 players are worth chance after chance after chance, it just doesn't make sense to not give Rita one at all.
Seroiously, it's mindboggling:
1. Oilers are having offensive troubles - yet they don't call up one of their most offensive players
2. Excuse for lack of callup is questionble heart/intensity - the same thing half the Oiler's team is suffering from

I'm not optimistic either. I was listening to MacT's comments about Rita regarding a "game-by-game, shift-by-shift" evaluation and the first thing that popped to mind was that they are not going to give this guy a real shot. Again.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Wow... some of you guys are really blowing that quote out of context.

Rita's biggest problem in North America has been his consistency. He'll go great for 8 games, cold for 5, up again for 3, down for 4...
That seems to be about par for the course with Oilers. Are you serisouly going to tell me that more then half the Oilers don't suffer from this exact same affliction? Why does everyone else get a free pass, but Rita gets the cold shoulder?

Quote:
So saying you are going to evaluate him shift by shift, game by game, week by week is only saying that you are looking for consistency. He hasn't learned it in Toronto, but maybe the fact that it is an NHL job and he has to do things in order to stay in the lineup will give him that push he needs to bring it every night.
By all means, after managment has given Rita a 'real' opportunity to succeed and he doesn't, bench him, send him to the minors, whatever. But give him that 'real' shot. Give him quality icetime with quality linemates, not just for a period, not just for a game, but for 15-20 game stretch

Quote:
It also means that if he isn't having a good night, and the team is winning 2-1, don't expect him out there much in the 3rd.
Any particular reason why not? Do you think the guys we have up here now are doing a capable job of holding that 2-1 lead? I don't think they are. I would venture that the odds of losing that 1 goal lead are not going to go up significantly if we give Horcoffs icetime to Rita. Hell, maybe he'll even score and turn it into a 3-1 lead, which is more the Horcoff seems capable of doing.

Quote:
Indeed. But give Rita a chance to bring his game, Horcoff/Pisani/Chimera all had ample opportunity to bring their game. Don't bring 'em up, game in had, and then sit him at the end of the bench. That doesn't lead to good will & hunger, instead it leads to apathy.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:56 PM
barto

I'd have to say that the Oilers' coaching staff's confidence in Horcoff/Pisani to play good defence when trying to hold a lead has GOT to be far higher than trusting Rita to do the same with the limited NHL experience he's got at this point.

If the playoffs are out of reach, then fine, you play Rita in all situations & see what he can do. If the Oilers are 'in danger' of making the playoffs, though, I don't want to see Rita out there in critical situations that could make or break the season for them.

However, if Rita does show in his first few games that he can handle it, you might consider increasing his ice time and # of different situations he's in, as long as he can handle it. Stoll, for instance, has shown he can handle some amount of increased responsibilities and ice time. Pisani and Chimera both stunk at the beginning of the year, and are now playing "OK" but nothing spectacular. Horcoff is a little more consistent and reliable, but still not like he was playing at the end of last year and into the WCs. I guess there can be too much loyalty shown to guys like him (Cleary was the previous poster boy for this), but he definitely was teasing us last year with glimpses of very strong play.

I just hope Rita can show us he deserves to be in the NHL - keep your fingers crossed!

Bart

Closed Thread