HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to Improve the Garden Crowd

Old
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless This Mess View Post
Hey guys. This is something I've been thinking about for a while and I've finally decided to dedicate a thread to it. I've been a season ticket holder for over twenty years and I've gotta say, there is nothing in the world like playoff hockey at the Garden. Nonetheless, the crowd during regular season games tends to be a little weak in my opinion. I've been to a number of road stadiums, particularly Buffalo and Philadelphia, and their crowds are always much louder, regardless of who the opponent is. In my opinion, the Garden crowd is only loud during the first five minutes of a game, immediately following a fight, or right after a goal. The Garden seems to be dead silent for long stretches at a time, especially when we are losing. What do you think can be done to make the Garden a louder/more intimidating place? Does the fact that the corporate seats are always 2/3 empty by the time the puck drops bother anyone else? What can we do? Would love to hear your guys' input.
Convince Dolan to sell tickets to fans and not companies. Too many times are their nothing but a bunch of yuppies hanging around in the majority of the stadium. Many of the true fans are priced out of the garden. You wanna hear a great crowd, move your season tickets to section 423. The best fans in the house are up there!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Convince Dolan to sell tickets to fans and not companies. Too many times are their nothing but a bunch of yuppies hanging around in the majority of the stadium. Many of the true fans are priced out of the garden. You wanna hear a great crowd, move your season tickets to section 423. The best fans in the house are up there!
Ok, I'll bite. What makes one fan a "true fan" over another?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
We run into the same problem in Notre Dame Stadium (though our football play this year didnt help), and ticket allocation is definitely a problem here as well.

I think this is a good idea.
You think what is a good idea...selling the tickets down by the glass for $10 instead of $150???

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
I feel like the Garden is holding their collective breath, hoping the Rangers don't do anything stupid. The fans know this is a fragile team and it seems like everybody is watching intently to see what kind of effort the Rangers are putting forth.

Bingo!

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
mikesect424

Quote:
423's lame. 424's where it's at. Seriously though, the garden fans have always had this same feel. Who remembers the "Red Seats Suck" chants of the 80's. It's plain and simple- when they're winning, and in the playoffs, the fans are loud, and in their seats for the whole game. This team, with the lack of effort that they're showing night in and night out, will not garner that type of support.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
RangerFan09

vCash: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Larry has been there, but when i spoke to him he said they dont like the HOMO chants towards him and it is not fun when he doesnt get up, the 400's love Larry
That sucks!

I always laugh when I hear that. I say he should just do it anyway lol

Rock on Larry, Rock on

RangerFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless This Mess View Post
Hey guys. This is something I've been thinking about for a while and I've finally decided to dedicate a thread to it. I've been a season ticket holder for over twenty years and I've gotta say, there is nothing in the world like playoff hockey at the Garden. Nonetheless, the crowd during regular season games tends to be a little weak in my opinion. I've been to a number of road stadiums, particularly Buffalo and Philadelphia, and their crowds are always much louder, regardless of who the opponent is. In my opinion, the Garden crowd is only loud during the first five minutes of a game, immediately following a fight, or right after a goal. The Garden seems to be dead silent for long stretches at a time, especially when we are losing. What do you think can be done to make the Garden a louder/more intimidating place? Does the fact that the corporate seats are always 2/3 empty by the time the puck drops bother anyone else? What can we do? Would love to hear your guys' input.
I honestly think it's the 7 year playoff drought that has killed the enthusiasm in the building. Fans in New York are generally cynical but it's been much worse since this organization has gotten so bad. It's the same with the Knicks. The fans are like in a perpetual state of "lets see what happens next, I bet they'll suck". The garden crowd used to be so much better.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Sit in the blue seats. Boo Jagr. Cheer when Malik gets announced as a scratch. Yell "Shoot!" Live in 1994. Start "Fire Renney" chants.

02-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Sit in the blue seats. Boo Jagr. Cheer when Malik gets announced as a scratch. Yell "Shoot!" Live in 1994. Start "Fire Renney" chants.

if thats the case

Inferno>All

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Step 1 win games.

no need for Step 2.
Post of the week.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:42 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
HAHAHA yea that is true, it tends to get annoying, but last nite i wanted to like tell some guy to stop talking cause he kept doing the fire renney chant and nobody paid attention to him, then my dad said your the type of guy that probably booed Eli Manning in week 5.....

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 01:05 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
One who buys tickets because he wants to see the Rangers play and knows who's on the ice. Not someone who got tickets at the office and is gonna take his buds to impress them with the good seats and thinks the Ranger game is just a cool place to hang while having a few beers.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 01:29 AM
PhlipDowt

the garden will never be as rowdy as it once was. they went corporte...priced their tickets right into the hands of the corporate suits. until that changes, it'll be 30% suits, and add another 15% empty seats because of this. even the non suits still have a large percentage of people i would rather not see there. last few games i couldnt belive the amount of people staring at their blackberrys. it's sad.

still a halfway decent place to see a game, but nothing like it was at one point.

PhlipDowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 08:30 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Start weeknight games at 7:30 again.
BINGO

Ive been saying this forever I feel like, you want the seats full in Midtown Manhattan at 7 oclock? Dream ****ing on. No reason the games shouldn't start at 730. Hell, maybe even 8. People in New York work hard, late, and like to enjoy dinner before they sit in there seats. People who don't work in New York who are going to the game, NEED TO GET TO NEW YORK. The fact that we can't start games at 7:30 again bothers me more than any other aspect of New York Rangers hockey (besides the product on the ice). Boo hoo little Johnny needs to be in bed by 9...give me a break. Listen to the third period on the radio from bed on weeknights like my parents used to make me when I was 6

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:51 AM
The Thomas J.*

the garden was DEAD this week, no energy @ all in the building.
I wouldn't mind the games startingatter during the week, i always felt so rushed.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:18 AM
WheresBarnaby

Kill the potvin sucks chant, bring back let's go rangers.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:19 AM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
the garden was DEAD this week, no energy @ all in the building.
I wouldn't mind the games startingatter during the week, i always felt so rushed.
your right, and when they dont score it gets even worse

Old
02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
I feel like the Garden is holding their collective breath, hoping the Rangers don't do anything stupid. The fans know this is a fragile team and it seems like everybody is watching intently to see what kind of effort the Rangers are putting forth.
Exactly!!!! I go to every game wondering what kind of effort we are going to get from them. If they were more consistant and fans could expect a solid effort every game i think that it would a much better atmosphere in the Garden.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
We had a big long thread about this at the beginning of the season. We actually had the idea to get a group of people together to go to the Garden, get drunk and start soccer style chants all game long. Never happened but it was cool to dream about.
We tried to get this to happen, but there was a waiting list for group tix. Something like what we want to do would have to start next season, or unless someone here has some contacts and could help sort out some details before this season is over.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:36 PM
nyrmetros

This would be incredible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_pZ5LRQ8Ac

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Kill the potvin sucks chant, bring back let's go rangers.
im all for the lets go rangers chant but c'mon man , that Potvin sucks chant is over 25 years old it has withstood the test of time and frankly its effin awesome , its original and part of the Garden and i love when people do the chant that have no idea where it came from

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
isles20*

Dont Complain, look at isles situation and that guy Homo Larry gets fans pumped when i went to isles-rag$

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Can someone explain to me how he got the name of Homo Larry? Ive been going to games since I could walk and he is always there, but I dont get why everyone calls him that, I think hes pretty cool, he gets the fans pumped. I like the dancing Granny too, there trademarks that only a place like MSG can have

02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
mstraka82

Dancing Granny stinks, my bro saw her in the streets and said "Hey Granny SIT DOWN dont ever get up", she got pissed cause we didnt kiss her feet hahahha

Old
02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
I was watching Hockey Day in Canada last saturday and they had an interview with the Canadians owner. He said they did two years of research and that most kids make decisions about their role models or what they are interested in starting in 5th and 6th grade. So the Candians offer schools big deals or go give away tickets to try to build a fanbase from the young up. Because if the kids wanna go, Adults gotta pay right?

The Rangers have a good presence in NY, but it needs to get bigger. Get out to the kids and create a fan-base for life.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote