HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Balej vs Dagenais

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Necrophile

vCash: 500
Balej vs Dagenais

Balej seemed to play better as the game progressed, against the Sabres. If he plays as well during the Wild game as he did during the 2nd half of Tuesday's game, then it will be hard to demote him to Hamilton.

But what about Dagenais? Will he be given a chance to re-earn that 2nd-line spot? And if we let him a chance to re-earn it despite a good game from Balej vs Minny, what kind of message does that send?

Maybe if both Dagenais and Balej can continue to play well, we could keep them both on scoring lines, and bring Bulis back to the third line and add some speed and punch to it. But that might mess up the chemistry...

Either Dagenais or Balej would be a waste if they played on the 4th line; they'd be better off in Hamilton.

I know Balej hasn't played more than 1 full game yet, but what do you think will / should happen, especially if he has a good game vs the Wild?

Old
01-28-2004, 04:53 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Balej seemed to play better as the game progressed, against the Sabres. If he plays as well during the Wild game as he did during the 2nd half of Tuesday's game, then it will be hard to demote him to Hamilton.

But what about Dagenais? Will he be given a chance to re-earn that 2nd-line spot? And if we let him a chance to re-earn it despite a good game from Balej vs Minny, what kind of message does that send?

Maybe if both Dagenais and Balej can continue to play well, we could keep them both on scoring lines, and bring Bulis back to the third line and add some speed and punch to it. But that might mess up the chemistry...

Either Dagenais or Balej would be a waste if they played on the 4th line; they'd be better off in Hamilton.

I know Balej hasn't played more than 1 full game yet, but what do you think will / should happen, especially if he has a good game vs the Wild?
its better not to guess what will happen our next game,
but balej looked comfortable as the game went on espacialy in the 3rd period he had 2 great scoring chances one where all he had to do waz lift it over birons pads, i really dont like deganias because the only time you see him is when he shoots, some times you dont even know if he played, if you know what i mean, balej looked to at least hussle back and try to get into the action, thats what i really liked about this kid,

id rather they play balej, not becuase of his abilities but more so the lack of deganias abilities, i hate players that have nothing realy to contribute.

Last edited by #44_delivers: 01-28-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old
01-28-2004, 04:57 AM
HABitude

I think Dagenais will come back with Ribeiro. Okay Dagenais was in a slump lately, like many others, he did have some nice chemistry with Ribs, why not try to see if it can come back again?
Dagenais have a real power-shot.

On the other hand, it's too soon to say where Balej should play. I watched his game tonite and enjoyed his energy. Maybe on a specific checking role with Juneau on the 3rd, he could skate trying to create turnovers and breakaways. On the seniority rank, Bulis come before him. So no Balej on the first line. But still Julien is the boss, if he think it's for the best, let him do it.
At least don't put Balej on the 4rth line with plumbers like Langdon or Kilger.
I just hope Bégin will come back soon enough. His return will resolve the lack of bodycheck/gritty play.

And Perreault & Kilger have no business with the NHL team. Hamilton they go.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:03 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
... the lack of desanias abilities, ...
Nothing wrong with your post except that you misspell Dagenais too much.
Into a point where we can hardly understand who you are talking about.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:04 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Nothing wrong with your post except that you misspell Dagenais too much.
Into a point where we can hardly understand who you are talking about.
sorry im use to s being g

Old
01-28-2004, 05:10 AM
HABitude

Quote:
sorry im use to s being g
No offence, it's just a technicality matter.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:11 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

desenais abilities? I wanna have those kind of abilities too

Old
01-28-2004, 05:11 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
No offence, it's just a technicality matter.
thank you for correcting me, i have horrid spilling

Old
01-28-2004, 05:15 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
thank you for correcting me, i have horrid spilling
you are funny maybe you spilled too much beer

Old
01-28-2004, 05:17 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
desenais abilities? I wanna have those kind of abilities too
ok fair enough no denying his shooting abilities, but what else does he got to offer??

just out of curiosity

are you a fan of deganias game???

do you think he has anything to offer to this team besides scoring the odd goal now and then?

do you think deganais is a 2nd line player???

please id like everybodies opinion if they are willing to give it

Old
01-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Is it just me or does anyone else think Dags would be better off playing with Koivu? Think about it Koivu is a playmaker and Dags is a shooter. If these guys get together and start thinking about some plays they'd be solid.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:18 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
you are funny maybe you spilled too much beer
that one was a joke i guess you though it waz for real

Old
01-28-2004, 05:24 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
ok fair enough no denying his shooting abilities, but what else does he got to offer??

just out of curiosity

do you think he has anything to offer to this team besides scoring the odd goal now and then?

sorry you missunderstood, when I said I want to have "desenais" abilities I was just being sarcastic on how you spelled Dagenais name, like "desenais" was a new word. No his not a second line materiel, however if you put him on the 4th line with less time on ice he won't score ever. I guess he is just a filler now and then. I wish he could use his body more, hit more, and be a decent skater.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:

just out of curiosity

Answer to question 1 - No
Answer to question 2 - No
Answer to question 3 - No

Honestly I find it painful to watch him play but I can't deny that I have enjoyed him scoring 10 goals for us. I was watching Hockeycentral a couple of weeks and they said of Dagenais...and I quote "The only way this guy stays in the NHL is if he scores goals". That pretty much sums it up. He can't play defense, he can't skate, he can't forecheck, he can't pass, he can't play the boards...etc etc etc BUT he can shoot.

Really he is only a marginal NHLer and nothing more. Perhaps people are jumping the gun on Balej being able to play in the NHL right now but after two games he is certainly on his way. He didn't score but he did many others things. But when Dagenais doesn't score you never hear his name.

He will get his shot on the second line when he comes back but I think that its a safe bet that it will not be permanent.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:29 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
He will get his shot on the second line when he comes back but I think that its a safe bet that it will not be permanent.
i hope your right,
balej has a golden chance right now to show the coach he belongs in the big show, its all in the yongsters hand.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:30 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Is it just me or does anyone else think Dags would be better off playing with Koivu? Think about it Koivu is a playmaker and Dags is a shooter. If these guys get together and start thinking about some plays they'd be solid.
I was thinking the same, they are perfect compliments except that gaganias, no, niasgada, ...dadanias, ehhh, Gadenais doesn't play a gritty game like Ryder. If gaga-nias want to have a spot with capt Saku's line, he'll have to move his @ss a bit more and use his frame, you kno what i mean. Saku doesn't like floaters. So do I. So does all true leaders.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:31 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
I was thinking the same, they are perfect compliments except that gaganias, no, niasgada, ...dadanias, ehhh, Gadenais doesn't play a gritty game like Ryder. If gaga-nias want to have a spot with capt Saku's line, he'll have to move his @ss a bit more and use his frame, you kno what i mean. Saku doesn't like floaters. So do I. So does all true leaders.
That is a great idea in theory but do you really think that Dagenais possesses any speed or physical play?

Old
01-28-2004, 05:37 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
That is a great idea in theory but do you really think that Dagenais possesses any speed or physical play?
Not really but in his best games he did okay. At least he can play harder, be more concentrated, more responsable in all 3 zones. He's a marginal player for sure BUT what a shoot he have!!!
Life is unfair, if Koivu had a shot like that ...

Old
01-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Necrophile

And another thing. I'm sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about how Dagenais has "made it" in the NHL. ***** that, he hasn't proven himself worthy of a permanent scoring line spot. He scores 10 goals in 25 games or so(?) and now they're interviewing him asking him why he has made it this year...

Sure he can release one heck of a shot, but in hockey most work is done outside of shooting lanes. He can't skate, can't play physical, can't pass, can't play defence, can't kill penalties, can't win face-offs, etc...

The worst part is that ever since the media has filled his head with this "you've already made it" crap, he has been invisible. A player with such a short leash should definitely not rest on his laurels.

If Balej plays as strong a game vs Minny as he did in the 2nd half of the Buff game, then I would be disappointed if he weren't at least on the top 3 lines against Boston (Dags returns from suspension). People are saying that Dags could eventually max out as an Andreychuk-type player (...). But we can do better than that. We have Perezhogin, Balej, Higgins, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec, and more who have the potential of becoming good or great NHL'ers someday. Not to mention that during the off-season, we may actually sign a young big-name top 6 forward, especially now that we know that our chances of making the playoffs next year are great and that we will be rid, by then, of McKay, Czerk, etc.

Out of Bulis, Koivu, Ryder, Zednik, Ribeiro, Dagenais, Balej, Higgins, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec, Perezhogin, and a big-name UFA top 6 which would you choose as your top 6 for the future?

Dagenais is a filler, IMO. We should not let him stand in the way of Balej's development, especially if Balej brings more to the table RIGHT NOW than Dagenais.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:20 AM
#44_delivers

very nicely said

Last edited by #44_delivers: 01-28-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old
01-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Here are the lines I'd like to see when Dagenais gets back.

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder
Dagenais - Ribeiro - Balej
Bulis - Juneau - Sundstrom

More dimension to every line... Speed on every line...

I wouldn't have considered this combo before but Balej surprised me in a good way. I thought he would have more problems than that in his own zone and as it now seems, he plays a better 2-way game than Zednik who slows down terribly when comes the time to turn around and help out defensively. Balej is a player with great, no amazing speed that could be molded by CJ into the perfect complement for Ribeiro's line. A speedster that will create chances and carry the puck (and go get it when it is dumped in) with his speed and turn quickly the other way when the puck is turned over, which is rather important considering Dagenais can't skate to save his life. And speaking of that 6'5" cone, his job will still be his to win 'till the end of the year, even is he switches sides, because he plays for a contract that I would be reluctant to give him at this point considering the very little he brings to this team.

Not saying this is the magical solution, but I would certainly give it a shot.

The only one right now I feel is not a true top-6 forward and is therefore out of place in that role is Bulis. All the others are offensive players first and foremost. Bulis is a great forechecker and was adding a dimension to the Juneau line it has not find back since he was promoted in a scoring role. Ward added something, but something else than what Bulis brings, nonetheless.

Last edited by Munchausen: 01-28-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old
01-28-2004, 02:56 PM
TroyM

Note that this is all my opinion, and I'm no hockey guru by any means

Those lines look great to me. Bulis is simply awesome forechecking/penalty killing and he would fit in perfectly on the third line. Also, didn't it seem like Zednik was giving it 100% when playing with Koivu on that one shift? Those two, to my knowledge, have always had great chemistry and when Zed plays with Ribs/Balej he seems hesitant to pass to them.

So with those lines you have chemistry with Zed/Koivu, Koivu/Ryder and Dags/Ribs not to mention a beautiful third line.

Old
01-28-2004, 03:29 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder

I wouldn't have considered this combo before but Balej surprised me in a good way. I thought he would have more problems than that in his own zone and as it now seems, he plays a better 2-way game than Zednik who slows down terribly when comes the time to turn around and help out defensively. Balej is a player with great, no amazing speed that could be molded by CJ into the perfect complement for Ribeiro's line. A speedster that will create chances and carry the puck (and go get it when it is dumped in) with his speed and turn quickly the other way when the puck is turned over, which is rather important considering Dagenais can't skate to save his life. And speaking of that 6'5" cone, his job will still be his to win 'till the end of the year, even is he switches sides, because he plays for a contract that I would be reluctant to give him at this point considering the very little he brings to this team.

The only one right now I feel is not a true top-6 forward and is therefore out of place in that role is Bulis. All the others are offensive players first and foremost. Bulis is a great forechecker and was adding a dimension to the Juneau line it has not find back since he was promoted in a scoring role. Ward added something, but something else than what Bulis brings, nonetheless.
i agree munchaussen, since 2 weeks i proposed those lines and i am sure that they will be great.

sure the line of Ribeiro would be really young and inexperimented , but sometime kids line have a good energy.From what i 've saw of Balej in the third period againts Buff, i think that he could be a good player to play with Ribs.

May be the only thing that play again this line would be the lack of physical presence...but in another way , Balej seems more able to play a defensive game than Zednik

Old
01-28-2004, 03:43 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder

I like the first 3 lines that you proposed, 2 scoring lines and a good checking line, how about the 3rd line? who do you see there? Langdon-Begin-Ward?

Old
01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
You are trying to win, not help develop a player while hoping to win. Dagenais has been way more important to the Habs this season then Balej and will continue to be. He has10 goals, that would be second on the devils. Who cares what he looks like on the ice, if results come from his play....then keep playing him.

Closed Thread