Notices

Reason to Believe

Old
02-09-2008, 06:01 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Reason to Believe

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=352798

I know this article is written by a homer, but it really got me excited. I just can't wait for the playoffs to start. Playoff hockey is like a drug. It just makes you feel amazing. Staying up for all of game 1 last year and then dragging yourself to work the next morning is as good as it gets. Then there was that song they played in the pregame before game 5, Daughtry's "It's Not Over". I hate American Idol, but I couldn't stop listening to that song for the rest of the summer. God I wish it was already April.

My Dad died in February last year. It was the lowest point of my life. My brother works with a guy whose kids play hockey with Stu Barnes. Towards the end of February last year my bro and I got a call from Stu offering his condolences. As dumb as it sounds, it really drug us out of a funk we'd been in. Wednesday was the anniversary of his death, and I'm thankful for the time I spent watching hockey with him.

GO STARS!!!

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The Stars will go further in the playoffs this year just as long as Zubov and Boucher get recovered from there injures by late March and return to 90% form.

Lehtinen's extended time off also is a big help, so there's more left in him come playoff time.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
That article completely omitted the greatness of Steve Ott. He's got 8/8/16 this year, a career-high for goals already, and he's on pace to match or maybe just slightly exceede his career points total. More importantly is the way he's stepped up in Lehtinen's absence on the penalty kill. The first time I saw him out there on the PK, I thought it was a joke. I kept seeing him out there, and he kept just not screwing up. Great to see that he can contribute more than the 7 minutes he's played in past seasons. His game against Calgary last week was another huge one -- he had Iginla in his bomb-sights the entire night and just went to work on him. JI put up his usual point-per-game, but Otter was in his face, pushing him around and attacking HIM all night, which I love to see. If he continues to grow and becomes a full-up responsible defender, Grade A lightweight goon and can chip in 2 or 3 points in a 7-game series, he can make a huge difference.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
If the story of the 1st part of the season was, "Really? They're this bad?", and the story of the 2nd part was, "Really? They're this good?", then it's looking like now the answer is "Yes, they are that good". The absence of Zubov confirms it IMO. There's no way a mediocre team compensates for his loss the way this group has.

Nice little story about Barnes. The guy is a quality human being, no doubt about that.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
batmansuncle

I've been really impressed with the Stars this year. It doesnt really seem to matter whos in the lineup or whos on whos line or even whoever is in net, they just keep finding ways to win. So many of our younger guys have stepped up and taken on bigger roles.

I cant wait for Zubov and Boucher to get back. Fristic will be sent back down ( I've also think he's done an awesome job this year ) but not sure who will be the other Dman to sit

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Staying up for all of game 1 last year and then dragging yourself to work the next morning is as good as it gets.
I was too depressed to go to school the next day.

Though I did like how I felt after game 2, and 6...AND ESPECIALLY 5. I still get nightmares about that damn shot from Eriksson from behind the Vancouver net going towards our empty net in that game.

Can't believe playoff time is already apon us. Should be a fun postseason.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

vCash: 500
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I don't believe. This team is just flat out not talented enough. This six game winning streak is awesome, although we've relied heavily on goaltending and luck. Probably outplayed in four of those six games. I just don't see how this team is good enough. I think we have about 50/50 shot of being eliminated in the first round again.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I agree with Frugs..

That's why I think we should make a big move during the tradedeadline.

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I think this team is will make it out of the first round just as long as the first line doesn't disappear and we don't make a move. That being said I think it is hard to make a move when you are on a 6 game winning streak even though a couple of the teams have been better than.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 01:54 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
That's why I think we should make a big move during the tradedeadline
A big move doesn't accomplish anything even with adding that player isn't going to make a difference between a first round or second round exit. Teams that only need to make the depth moves go further in the playoffs when the one's that make the bigmoves.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I don't believe. This team is just flat out not talented enough. This six game winning streak is awesome, although we've relied heavily on goaltending and luck. Probably outplayed in four of those six games. I just don't see how this team is good enough. I think we have about 50/50 shot of being eliminated in the first round again.
Hate to agree but I do. This is a team with 4 real top 6 forwards and then some nice depth. They have been very good at hanging around and capitalizing on mistakes but I dont trust that this is something that can work in the playoffs. Even last night we saw periods where the Blues really took it ot the Stars, and lets be honest, the blues goaltending really let them down in that game.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
So I guess the teams that we're beating are really just waiting for the playoffs to start really trying? Like it or not we're winning, and that counts for something. Winning with regularity doesn't happen by accident. Besides that, when was the last time we won without Zubov? Missing two all star calibre d-men and still finding ways to win isn't good enough anymore? I'm not saying we're cup favorites, but we've got as good a chance as anyone not named Detroit or Ottowa.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
So I guess the teams that we're beating are really just waiting for the playoffs to start really trying? Like it or not we're winning, and that counts for something. Winning with regularity doesn't happen by accident. Besides that, when was the last time we won without Zubov? Missing two all star calibre d-men and still finding ways to win isn't good enough anymore? I'm not saying we're cup favorites, but we've got as good a chance as anyone not named Detroit or Ottowa.
No, I think we're good enough to go on hot streaks. And we're also not good enough to avoid streaks of mediocrity. Been the same way for about 6 years now. Do you really expect this winning streak to continue much longer? When has it ever done so before? What's changed?

I think we're about at the same level of San Jose, Calgary, etc. All those second-tier Western Conference teams. The Stars have about one good scoring line, and it's not that hard to shut down if the Stars are on the road and the opponent gets the right defensive matchup.

The Stars are really soft up front. They're power play is incredibly predictable and mainly involves standing around. A very undynamic attack that's easy to see coming.

I agree we have as good a chance as anyone to win. Or to be eliminated. That's why I called 50/50 in the first round.

How can you look at this team and think they're much better than the last 4 or so teams to be eliminated in the first round? Dude, they're about the same.

Old
02-10-2008, 05:21 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
I think you're being overly harsh. It's completely understandable to be hesitant, this team has burned us so many times, but they're better than you're giving them credit for.

Goal differential is a pretty decent predictor of playoff success and when you look at that stat there's Detroit .... then Dallas ... then everyone else. I think they're a clear #2 right now. We know Turco can play in the playoffs and this is one of the top scoring clubs in the league with no major weaknesses.... there's reason to be optimistic.

Oh, and the excellent Ewing theory potential of Lindros' retirement.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
No, I think we're good enough to go on hot streaks. And we're also not good enough to avoid streaks of mediocrity. Been the same way for about 6 years now. Do you really expect this winning streak to continue much longer? When has it ever done so before? What's changed?

I think we're about at the same level of San Jose, Calgary, etc. All those second-tier Western Conference teams. The Stars have about one good scoring line, and it's not that hard to shut down if the Stars are on the road and the opponent gets the right defensive matchup.

The Stars are really soft up front. They're power play is incredibly predictable and mainly involves standing around. A very undynamic attack that's easy to see coming.

I agree we have as good a chance as anyone to win. Or to be eliminated. That's why I called 50/50 in the first round.

How can you look at this team and think they're much better than the last 4 or so teams to be eliminated in the first round? Dude, they're about the same.
50/50, sure. But expecting more is just silly. Of a 30 team league, if you're not happy with those chances, you're going to be a miserable fan. There's not tons of teams in that second tier, and I think we're near the top of that group.

As far as the same, I think there are 2 big differences. One, the winning without Zubov. That's new territory for the Stars. Two, the five on five goal scoring. It's way better than the last few seasons.

Anyway, it seems pessimistic to predict dire results for us when there's not a load of teams out there with significantly better chances. I think we've got as good a chance as anybody else. Not all of those tier 2 teams have a goalie that can win games by themselves.

Almost forgot... #3: This team seems to be improving- the whole roster- throughout the year. That's something else the last few years haven't had.

Old
02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I think you're being overly harsh. It's completely understandable to be hesitant, this team has burned us so many times, but they're better than you're giving them credit for.

Goal differential is a pretty decent predictor of playoff success and when you look at that stat there's Detroit .... then Dallas ... then everyone else. I think they're a clear #2 right now. We know Turco can play in the playoffs and this is one of the top scoring clubs in the league with no major weaknesses.... there's reason to be optimistic.

Oh, and the excellent Ewing theory potential of Lindros' retirement.
Just saw your post count at 999... make the next one count!

Old
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Alistar

I think that the teams of the past 3 or 4 years were good enough to make runs into the late rounds of the playoffs, they just didn't for whatever reason (call it whatever you want). Thats the major reason everyone was so upset right? because the teams didn't live up to thier potential? It seems pretty stupid for someone to say "Oh these Stars arn't any better then the past versions of the team, and THOSE teams lost in the first round!" Well yeah, maybe the Stars arn't any better then those teams but if they play up to their potential (something those other teams didn't do) they have every chance of moving on and challanging the best teams in the league. Dallas has proved they can play with any team in the league even with injuries that would cripple pretty much anyone else except for Detroit, and I see no reason to expect them to do anything else but continue on in the post-season like they have in the regular season.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Class1723

Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
There is no reason why the Stars cannot put up a good playoff run. Those saying they arent good enough are crazy. Turco hasnt played well for a good stretch all year and yet they still sit high in the standings. We have been without 2 of our top 4 D all year. (Bouch of course with Matty, and now Zubie) Jere has missed a lot of time. Jussi missed time. And all of that occured while we were playing one of the most frantic and BS scheduled first halfs of the season. Yet we are 2nd in points. Our PP isnt playing up to par right now. That should improve when Zubov is back to full strength. All it takes is a couple of players to get hot at the right time. We have only 4 top 6 forwards but who has more? No-one. Det is closest (they just lost Cleary for 6-8 weeks as well) But truly they have 4 and a couple of young guys who look to be ready to make that claim. Anaheim may have the most and of course they will be tough. As will Detroit. Hell SJ only has 3 top 6 forwards. If that. Of course Nabokov is playing very tough. Every team has weaknesses. The Ducks are very inconsistent. Det goaltending will be a big question... I know there stats are great but can they rotate in the playoffs? We have as good a chance as any team in the league. We are not the same team. Antti has finally showed some skill. ( I was at the Blues game the other night and he flat out undressed Brewer.) Hagman is becoming a player other teams have to watch... On the Pk he is immediately looking to burn the D. When Bouch brings his cannon back to the PP that should be more of a +.

Class1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Class1723

I am not saying we are going to win. It is a knock down drag out fight for the cup and we need players like Ott to do what he did vs calgary a couple of weeks ago to do it to Zetterberg and Mighty Joe for us to have a chance. But how can you look at this team and say they are the same as last year? Was Ribs a 1st liner last year? Did Morrow look like such a beast? How many people early in the year proclaimed losses just cause Antti was playing on line 1? (Alistair I think that was your big beef early this year, not to say I didnt agree at the time) 3 Rookies contributing noticably on D now. And yes they have there mistakes but they are improving. Loui is really starting to show some of his "potential" now. And flat out we look like better finnishers now. Thats the biggest difference. We used to be a team where Morrow recieved the puck 2 feet away from an empty net and we groaned cause we knew he would whiff on the pass. Me personally I celebrate now cause I know not only will he catch the pass but then bury it as well. I think our talent is there now we just need our shutdown line to step up to what they did last year.

Old
02-11-2008, 09:18 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1723 View Post
But how can you look at this team and say they are the same as last year?
Their record not really being any better is a big tip off.

Old
02-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Class1723

Yea and their record was nearly the same in 98 as it was in 99 right? And that played out the same eh? O and 99 to 2000 record was quite different but still they made it to the finals.
Why is there so much pessimism? We arent clearly above any other good team but we arent clearly below them either. Any one who think Det has this whole cup locked up can look at the last few years president's trophy winners and tell me where it leads to.

Old
02-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Class1723

They have gone through this season completely differently than last. We went through one of the toughest travel schedules in the league and have lost some top players for extended times and we are in the same place yet we have not improved anywhere?

Old
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Class1723

I am not saying we will dominate through to the finals. I am just saying we are on the same level of these other teams. I dont think we need a big piece. I think we could use more energy and hitting from out 4th line. Once the playoffs begin, if Turco can match his level last year we have a lot more threats now. Guys who have now shown they can burn the other team given the chance. We might get eliminated in the first round. Or we could get hot and move on. I am not for trading away pieces we need for the future.
We are lucky that in this time which all the media seems to think our team is past its prime ( I believe we were picked to finish 7th by SI and to miss the playoffs altogether by another magazine ) We are still able to compete.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
A big move doesn't accomplish anything even with adding that player isn't going to make a difference between a first round or second round exit. Teams that only need to make the depth moves go further in the playoffs when the one's that make the bigmoves.
Agree to disagree. I think the Stars are a superstar addition away from being a legit Stanley Cup contender, in the same breath as a Detroit, Anaheim and Ottawa.

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:15 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1723 View Post
Why is there so much pessimism? We arent clearly above any other good team but we arent clearly below them either. Any one who think Det has this whole cup locked up can look at the last few years president's trophy winners and tell me where it leads to.
I think it's because it's nearly the same cast of characters as last season. There have been some improvements. Some of the younger players, Hagman, Ribeiro, etc. But nothing groundbreaking that leads me to believe they're head and shoulders above.