HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heh, Jessiman...

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2004, 12:01 AM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Heh, Jessiman...

Was just playing some online Poker at Partypoker.com and someone noticed that my handle was RangersFan. Asked me if I knew about who they drafted, turns out the guy is a good friend of Hugh's in Conn. and they used to play together back in the day. Tells me Hugh is really happy that he's a Ranger prospect. One thing though, he told me that Hugh was selected to the WJC team, but declined because his parents wouldn't let him go. I told him that he was not selected. Was he or wasn't he?

Old
01-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

i don't even think he was invited to the camp. i could be wrong though.

Old
01-28-2004, 12:52 AM
pld459666

No Son,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i don't even think he was invited to the camp. i could be wrong though.

You are correct.

Jessiman wasn't invited to camp as the management team that ran the USA squad this year had certain players slotted for certain positions on this team and the slot that he fit into, the players that made the team and those that were cut were better.

Jessiman is a good player, but he's a player that needs additional work.

Old
01-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Jessiman is a good player, but he's a player that needs additional work.
It seems that also includes some work on his maturity. In the last few weeks, he mouthed off and apparently made obscene gestures to the Cornell student section after a game Dartmouth won. Granted, the Lynah Faithful can be nasty, but not Philadelphia nasty. He also got a misconduct at the 65:00 mark of the game against Clarkson for mouthing off to the officials. He needs to learn how to channel his intensity. I'm sure he will do just that, but sooner would be better than later (although I'd love it if he could put his team shorthanded a few times next time they play the Red!)

Old
01-28-2004, 02:23 AM
NYR469

team usa held there camp in august and jessiman was invited to that camp, but wasn't picked for the final roster

Old
01-28-2004, 02:47 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
One thing though, he told me that Hugh was selected to the WJC team, but declined because his parents wouldn't let him go. I told him that he was not selected. Was he or wasn't he?

that is the funniest thing i have ever heard

Old
01-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
that is the funniest thing i have ever heard
then you need to read some george carlin!!!

Old
01-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

He was invited to the camp but had a poor showing. simple as that. no excuses, no conspiracies. he just didnt perform well. it happens.

I'm not ready to either make an excuse for him nor crucify him either. he has a lot of work to do, and he knows it, the rangers know it and people who follow hockey closely know it.

For me the tell tale sign will be his junior year of college, we will have a better idea of whether he is getting it or not.

Old
01-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
He was invited to the camp but had a poor showing. simple as that. no excuses, no conspiracies. he just didnt perform well. it happens.

I'm not ready to either make an excuse for him nor crucify him either. he has a lot of work to do, and he knows it, the rangers know it and people who follow hockey closely know it.

For me the tell tale sign will be his junior year of college, we will have a better idea of whether he is getting it or not.
i think he signs with the rangers after this season. i don't think thats the best thing for him to develop but i think the rangers sign him and send him to hartford next season

Old
01-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I'd say it is a toss up right now. He has a lot of work to do and I am not totally sure the aHL is the right move.

Right now I'd say it's more likely he stays in school, but anything is possible.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Fletch

I would say...

that all depends on how he finishes out the year in college. If he goes gangbusters, there may be no point in staying another year, unless he needs to round-out his game a bit more because his defense sucks. I don't even think Hugh and the Rangers currently know.

Just peaked at his stats...and purely going on production, it's not that impressive. averaging 1.16 points per game, second on his team in scoring. Last season he averaged 1.38 points per game - not something you want to see go down. Perhaps there's an explanation, but that's all I'm going on.

Old
01-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

personally i think it's two areas:

1. People are more familiar with him.

2. post draft slump. It happens to a lot of kids their post draft year. they put pressure on themselves, there is more attention on them and they get nervous. frankly i wouldnt be surprised if confidence is at least a little shakey too. He wasnt that impressive in calgary, he wasnt that impressive at the WJC camp and he has to know he is the only thing close to a bluechipper on this team right now.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
personally i think it's two areas:

1. People are more familiar with him.

2. post draft slump. It happens to a lot of kids their post draft year. they put pressure on themselves, there is more attention on them and they get nervous. frankly i wouldnt be surprised if confidence is at least a little shakey too. He wasnt that impressive in calgary, he wasnt that impressive at the WJC camp and he has to know he is the only thing close to a bluechipper on this team right now.
I agree. This Dartmouth team had 6 of their top players graduate from last years squad including their starting goalie. Opposing teams have keyed on Jessiman, so his linemates from last year have been split up trying to balance the attack upfront. I just hope his positional play is being worked on if his scoring is down.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that all depends on how he finishes out the year in college. If he goes gangbusters, there may be no point in staying another year, unless he needs to round-out his game a bit more because his defense sucks. I don't even think Hugh and the Rangers currently know.

Just peaked at his stats...and purely going on production, it's not that impressive. averaging 1.16 points per game, second on his team in scoring. Last season he averaged 1.38 points per game - not something you want to see go down. Perhaps there's an explanation, but that's all I'm going on.
I do know maloney said that he thought jessiman would develop faster in hartford next year. I think that he should stay in college because he is going to Darthmouth. Hey what if he is career doesn't work out? A Darthmouth education to me is more valuble.

What are the odds that this kid is a future star? Lets say the Rangers do all the right things with his development is he going to be that good?

Old
01-28-2004, 06:18 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
What are the odds that this kid is a future star? Lets say the Rangers do all the right things with his development is he going to be that good?
To me, it's 50-50. The kid could be the next Guerin/Bertuzzi (minus the mean streak) or just as easily be the next Tominator.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Fletch

If his career doesn't work out...

he finishes school down the road.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:28 PM
TKLOOCH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
To me, it's 50-50. The kid could be the next Guerin/Bertuzzi (minus the mean streak) or just as easily be the next Tominator.
I dont see any Dartmouth games, but Ive heard from some people that he finishes his checks hard and does have a nasty side to his game. I dont know, though. He may not be an enforcer, but Ive heard of a physical side to Hugh.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

He's physical but i don't project him as a "fighter" per say.

In terms of physical play, split the difference between LeClair and Bertuzzi.

But i think as a prospect it's 50/50 with jessiman. I dont see him making it as just an average player. He either makes it as a star or plays in the minors.

Old
01-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He's physical but i don't project him as a "fighter" per say.

In terms of physical play, split the difference between LeClair and Bertuzzi.

But i think as a prospect it's 50/50 with jessiman. I dont see him making it as just an average player. He either makes it as a star or plays in the minors.

To me, if he doesn't become a Bertuzzi type, his downside will be more like Jamal Mayers - third or fourth line RW.

IMO, his hands are too good not to at least be a very good scorer on the PP. If he continues to work hard I don't see any problems with him at least being our 2nd line RW down the road. But thats the thing, he won't really start to show his worth for sometime. I just pray this organization holds onto him.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I just pray this organization holds onto him.
Fat chance. I see JAckass just salivating at the thought of trading the rights to Hugh for the rights to Paul Coffey.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Fletch

Seeing that..

Sather has traded just one person that he drafted (I believe), I don't see him trading the biggest guy he drafted for some time. Unless, of course, Pronger becomes available for some reason.

Old
01-28-2004, 10:30 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I knew it, I kept telling the guy that, but he kept mentioning some USA conditioning camp two years ago in Minnesota or something. Anyways, I just told him to tell Hugh that we are all looking forward to seeing him play at MSG in the future, not to get discouraged at idiotic management, and just continue to work on his game and use his size...

Old
01-29-2004, 02:27 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
To me, if he doesn't become a Bertuzzi type, his downside will be more like Jamal Mayers - third or fourth line RW.

IMO, his hands are too good not to at least be a very good scorer on the PP. If he continues to work hard I don't see any problems with him at least being our 2nd line RW down the road. But thats the thing, he won't really start to show his worth for sometime. I just pray this organization holds onto him.

Honestly i dont think his defense or his ability to read plays would allow for that downside. those are his two weak areas, which means they either come around and the rest takes over or they dont

Old
01-29-2004, 05:46 PM
kazo

With his frame I would hope he would be physical enough to be able to hold his position in front of the net and battle opposing d-men. Otherwise, we have another forward with size but without the will to use it.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

well no he SHOULD be able to do that and he does lean on people and use his size.

what i am not sure about is whether he is a power forward in the mold of say a Guerin. Bertuzzi or Graves {go out fight, can be a nasty SOB}.

That remains to be seen.

The more i watch this team the past several years, the more if pains me that Cherneski got hurt. i have no doubt that at the very least he can do exactly what Lacouture does.

Closed Thread