HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

game take 6-1 Ottawa

Old
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Namso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
It could happen, but I can bet you the same will happen to Ottawa. One line teams don't do anything in the playoffs. Maybe Toronto can get hot, sneak into 8th, and eliminate Ottawa from the playoffs like they usually do.
I think Toronto would beat Ottawa in the playoffs. Ott is just too scared of the Leafs.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Sens Rule

You guys had some scoring chances... it wasn't a great game for the Habs... but the difference is Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson.... without one of them the Sens are a mere good team.. without 2 of them they are average.... with all three they are an elite team..still by far the best in the East... and close to Detroit and Anaheim.

The difference is Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza are 3 of the best 6 players in the Eastern Conference with Crosby and Ovechkin and LeCavalier... and they all play together... for 22-25 minutes a game.

Montreal is a great team... subtract one of the Cash line an Montreal is Ottawa's equal... two of them and the Habs are better... but with all three the Sens outclass the Habs... even if they are mainly a one line team.

Top end talent wins in the playoffs... along with goaltending. Ottawa has the top end talent... and a bunch of decent role players... Montreal lacks top end talent and has better second tier and good general talent.

Ottawa has realy good talent on paper on Defence... but on the ice sometimes it wavers... though somehow rarely when all thre top liners are in the sens lineup.

Still one game.. doesn't mean that much. But to me... (I'm a Sens fan) Montreal is good but not great... I think they could beat the Sens in 7 games but likely wouldn't.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Send Lapierre to Hamilton, call up Chipchura or get an enforcer

Lapierre is a ***** and doesn't pass, does he think he is a superstar or something? I have never saw a bigger wuss. He doesn't defend anyone, I would not be surprised that if his girlfriend was being beaten by someone he would just stand there and smile like he usually does when he's ******** his pants.

He is not an agitator, he is not a fighter, he totally does the opposite of what he is supposed to do.

Maybe if he gets sent to Hamilton again he might man up a little bit and become a team guy like Josh Gorges who is not scared to drop the gloves.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:19 PM
spoon*

Real classy guys

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
It could happen, but I can bet you the same will happen to Ottawa. One line teams don't do anything in the playoffs. Maybe Toronto can get hot, sneak into 8th, and eliminate Ottawa from the playoffs like they usually do.
This one line team last year got to the final... destroyed the East in the playoffs... lost when Anaheim changed their defence pairings and put Niedermeyer-Pronger with Pahlsson, Niedermeyer and Moen on the Cash line.

Soes Montreal have a Niedermeyer-Pronger, Pahllson, R. Niedermeyer? No they don't. Though either Price or Huet could stone us for a few games... opening the cahcne for Montreal to win a series.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:20 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
I think Toronto would beat Ottawa in the playoffs. Ott is just too scared of the Leafs.
Yup. Kyle Wellwood and Vesa Toskala strike fear in even the best teams.

Maybe if Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk, Dmitri Yushkevich, Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph came back and regained their early 2000 form, they'd have a shot.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
They still won 3 cups in a 6 year span from 1997 to 2002. This Wings team is on par with that 95/96 team that won 62 games. Gotta believe they're the favorites going into the final stretch.
No, I think the defending champs are the favourates now.

They get Neidermire (which is huge) it is like Detriot playing with Lidstrom all year, I would loved to have seen that ...AND then Selane. I dont think unless I am underrating the guy (maybe) that Selane is nearly as big a deal and Scott Neidermire is. Plus this year they ALSO got they guy they tried to replace Neidermire with.

Ducks D is awsome, and if Selane comes back to form and Bertuzzi keeps playing decent or better, heck I even think they are a better team than they were last year. Only thing that could suggest otherwise is if the chemistry inst as good. Ducks are still tough as nails and their young guns Getzlaf and Perry got better. Only thing MIGHT be missing is a #1 line center. Weight isnt it and inferior to Mcdonal at this age. Give them a Sundin or even a lesser guy and they overwhelming.

In fact, I would not be shocked to see Wings bounced out again early.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
I can't believe people still hang on to things like this. Whatever makes you feel better.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:24 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
The good thing for us is that nobody in the East can put two of the top 3 defensemen in the league, one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and a Conn Smythe trophy winning goalie on the ice at the same time. Heck, only 1 team in the West can do it, and they're not a sure bet to make the finals with Detroit playing.

So... I'll worry about that if both Ottawa and Anaheim make the finals. Right now... not so much.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
I can't believe people still hang on to things like this. Whatever makes you feel better.
Considering that the Leafs just beat the Red Wings, I think they'd match well against the Sens.

If Sens finish first and the Leafs are 8th, I'm sure more than a few Sens fans would be nervous.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
This one line team last year got to the final... destroyed the East in the playoffs... lost when Anaheim changed their defence pairings and put Niedermeyer-Pronger with Pahlsson, Niedermeyer and Moen on the Cash line.

Soes Montreal have a Niedermeyer-Pronger, Pahllson, R. Niedermeyer? No they don't. Though either Price or Huet could stone us for a few games... opening the cahcne for Montreal to win a series.
If we face you in the playoffs, we'd be lucky to survive 6 games if your top line was fully healthy. Take one of them out and of course it becomes a different story, but obviously tonight that line showed that every one of them is a Habs killer.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Krautso

I cant believe sens fans come on to the habs board to patronize right after a loss like this. the "your good but not good enough" pep talk can probably wait till tomorrow...

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs8517

i hate that our team has so much trash
bouillon,smolinski,dandenault,begin.brisebois
need to get rid of those losers
bring more kids up like chip

latendresse and lapierre are a bunch of cowards
sergei needs to fight for those losers ....

bob dont sign more trash after the season
get rid of them for whatever you can get

i hope we make the playoffs

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Considering that the Leafs just beat the Red Wings, I think they'd match well against the Sens.

If Sens finish first and the Leafs are 8th, I'm sure more than a few Sens fans would be nervous.
Toronto only beats them in the playoffs. In regular season, Ottawa owns Toronto.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:

Any playoff series is nerve wracking. But both teams have changed so much since they last saw each other in playoffs that it's silly to think the same result will happen just because it's Ottawa and Toronto.

Old
02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
Any playoff series is nerve wracking. But both teams have changed so much since they last saw each other in playoffs that it's silly to think the same result will happen just because it's Ottawa and Toronto.
History has a way of repeating itself.

Old
02-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Form and Substance

Pros:
SKost showing heart and a nice pass to his bro. But he still made several poor desicions with the puck. Still you have to be excited, he was playing the PK, the point on the PP and had regular shifts despite being on the 3rd-4th line. I think he'll eventually develop into an all-around force within the next few years. I think he'll be our version of Alfredsson in the coming years...yes OUR ALFREDSSON

The first line played an average game, I think Kovy played ok. This being an off game they still generated chances.

The second line showed signs of life...which is good. Higgins needs to start putting the puck in the net but once he does, I think he'll go on a tear. Koivu officially has the weakest shot in the league. And Ryder must learn to keep it simple and not think he's Ovechkin. Still, this is the best game they've played in a long time.

Cons:

Very weak opening, were these guys partying hard last night?

Could not shut down the Alfy-Spezza-Heatley line. They are so opportunistic and shifty, it astounds me how much chemistry these guys have.

Defense was quite horrible. Markov had a very poor game. Made some really strange passes on the 5 on 3 and seemed distracted. Streit also shows why he can't be a truly effective top 4 D with his lack of strength.Mind you, I still do think he's going to improve. Komisarek too had a very weak showing tonight. Gorges I thought was the only one who played with some conviction. Brisebois...holy hell, I'm unusually easy on him, but words can't begin to describe how detrimental his play has been to the team. I hope to god Hamrlik comes back soon. I think our defense generally is underrated, but they didn't show why tonight.

Goaltending was lackluster all around. Huet had a really rough 1/10th of a game. Not completely his fault but that 2nd goal really takes the wind out of the sails. I bet the boys were going "well it's not going to be his night tonight". Price was average. His positioning was sound but I do think he's given up a couple of weak rebounds. Overall goaltending wasn't going to win us this match.

Overall, an extremely poor showing as a team, but also a very unlucky one. 5 posts and a couple of excellent chances. Nothing to show for. Give credit to Emery though he DID play well despite all of you who'd rather judge his play by his off-ice antics.

Last edited by Form and Substance: 02-09-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
4thliner*

are you joking?

Habs are more of a threat than the Leafs are to Ottawa or any other team. Those playoffs were what about what, stretching from a decade to at least half a decade ago? with completely different players. Guys like Heatley and Spezza were even drafted or in the league back then. Ottawa has been smoking the leafs ever since like 8-0 7-1 games, and Heatley is the biggest leafs killer there is.

they aren't even a "mental" block any longer. And you better believe it a Sens leafs 1st round match up with that defense Leafs got and inconsistant goaltending will be a total joke. Imagine McCabe playing a shutdown role? Of course, leafs won't even make it so this is all for not

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
So because Toronto has beaten Ottawa in the past, they would do it again. Interesting theory.

Let's hope this is all a moot point and the hockey gods don't let the Leafs into the playoffs anyway.

Old
MarkovsKnee

Why the **** are we talking about the Stanley Cup finals when this is a post-game thread? All you Ottawa fans go back to your own board and brag there. We don't want to hear it. Seriously, get lost.

With the exception of a handful of players the Habs largely sucked tonight and I don't care how many posts we hit. I also don't like the fact we responded to nothing and basically mailed it in after Ottawa went up 4-0. We were actually out playing them when they went up 3-0, but when they scored that 4th goal...game over.

Proof? That 5-on-3 powerplay at the end of the 2nd period was pathetic. This team is getting to like its highlight plays too much. The over passing was ridiculous and no one could handle the puck.

Kost Jr. was great on the goal though. I actually liked how the Sens' announcers called him Kostitsyn the Younger. It was amusing.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
The Laffs can only win against Ottawa in the playoffs.Otherwise,they collapse as always.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
The Laffs can only win against Ottawa in the playoffs.Otherwise,they collapse as always.
Which was my original point. If the Leafs sneak into the playoffs and meet Ottawa, there will be more than a few nervous Sens fans.

Old
02-09-2008, 09:40 PM
spoon*

Quote:
Which was my original point. If the Leafs sneak into the playoffs and meet Ottawa, there will be more than a few nervous Sens fans.
I'm pretty sure most of the times the Leafs beat the Sens in the playoffs they were higher in the standings...

Thanks for trying though!

oooole ole ole ole ole ooooole oooooole

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Montreal needs....

O'Byrne and Hamerlik back ASAP, Montreal can ill afford to have Boullion and Brisebois playing 15 to 20 minutes a game. Call up Cote

Komiserek Markov
O'Byrne Hamerlik
Streit Boullion Gorges Cote

They need a scorer for he Koivu line, once again a ton of chances for that line but they could not put it away. They played well tonight and should be given at least the Florida trip to make it work.

Identity...Carbonneau needs to decide whether the third line is going to be a grind it out line or a scoring line. Lapierre does not compliment offensive wingers, Chipchura would be a better option as he has more offensive skill, he's a better passer and can still defend as well as anyone on the current roster.

They need to move or simply bench guys like Dandenault Brisebois Smolinsky
Call up Ferland and play him on the forth line with Lapierre and Kostopoulos / Begin

Coaching....Carbonneau needs to do a better job, Not calling time out after the second goal, playing Brisebois as much as he did, line matching was inexistent.

Just my opinion.....

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Just have to grit our teeth tonight, forget about it tomorrow and move on. It was a lot like last year's 8 - 3 pasting. The score didn't reflect the way the game was played. Tonight, the Sens got the bounces, especially early. Montreal hit 4 posts, missed open nets, and just didn't take their opportunities to close the gap when they presented themselves.

It was a frustrating game to watch. It seemed like Montreal's net was four times larger than Ottawa's. The game should've been 2 - 2 or 3 -3 going into the 3rd period. Instead, it was as though Ottawa's top line convinced the puck and the Habs that they were simply going to win tonight, and everyone just said, "Um, okay, if you say so".

Ugly game. I still think Ottawa is a vulnerable team as far as Conference leaders go. I don't like their goaltending, and their depth is just so-so. Obviously, though, Montreal still has a ways to go before it considers itself to be a Conference leader-in-waiting. Ultimately, the really good teams separate themselves from the merely good teams by playing a game like that where the fan of the merely good team starts making posts about how the really good team won just because it got all the lucky bounces -- the really good teams just find a way to win, whereas the merely good teams fall short for whatever list of excuses one can come up with.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote