HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr

Old
02-07-2008, 10:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Jagr

This isn't a trade Jagr thread. This isn't a Jagr bashing thread.

IMO Jagr isn't doing well because teams know how to beat him. They are playing him overly physical. For one they know that the refs aren't going to call penalties, 2nd they know the Rangers aren't going to do anything about it.

The 2nd thing is what has really been the problem. The Rangers cannot and will not win unless Jagr is scoring. We all know it. However, when he's getting double teamed and getting his ass kicked in every game he will not score. The Rangers need someone I don't care if it's from within or outside to come in and defend Jagr. Make sure the other teams know that if they mess with Jagr they will get jacked up all night long. Gretzky had his posse to defend him, and Jagr needs it too. Jagr's a big guy and he can take a beating and keep going but he needs space. I'm sick of hearing Sam and Joe talking about how other teams are not giving Jagr any space. Well do something about it Rangers. F'in do something if you want to win some games!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Good point, but with that said, it's good enough logic to convince a team out west to trade for him.

Also, it gives further proof to the notion that he cannot win without Mario. Not because Mario is so uber great, but because he was the one who other teams paid all their attention to, and Jagr was able to fly under the radar sort of. Same thing in 05-06 to an extent, he didn't get all of the attention because the Rangers were thought to be a basement team.

So I think if you trade Jagr to a team like Anaheim, who has multiple star players, along with very effective tough guys, he can return to 120+ point form.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Said it 2 months ago and I'll say it again: Jagr is done after this season, his time has come in the NHL. He can't play out there anymore. WHOLE teams demolish him out there just so he can't have a second with the puck.

He gets knocked off it to easily. He takes a whole bunch of crap and stress that he probably doesn't need (who does?) when meanwhile he wants to play hockey but he's got no open ice to play, and he doesn't have the endurance or speed as a young guy to find open ice or eliminate big defenders on him. He can't do it.

I feel bad for him, and I love the guy, the big man will always be a great hockey player, but in today's NHL, I think Jagr has seen his career slowly end...

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
This isn't a trade Jagr thread. This isn't a Jagr bashing thread.

IMO Jagr isn't doing well because teams know how to beat him. They are playing him overly physical. For one they know that the refs aren't going to call penalties, 2nd they know the Rangers aren't going to do anything about it.

The 2nd thing is what has really been the problem. The Rangers cannot and will not win unless Jagr is scoring. We all know it. However, when he's getting double teamed and getting his ass kicked in every game he will not score. The Rangers need someone I don't care if it's from within or outside to come in and defend Jagr. Make sure the other teams know that if they mess with Jagr they will get jacked up all night long. Gretzky had his posse to defend him, and Jagr needs it too. Jagr's a big guy and he can take a beating and keep going but he needs space. I'm sick of hearing Sam and Joe talking about how other teams are not giving Jagr any space. Well do something about it Rangers. F'in do something if you want to win some games!
so get rid of him....build a new system around guys like Gomez, Dubinsky, Drury, Dawes, Prucha, guys with speed who will go into the corners and battle.... Jagr's regime is over in NY. Get something in return while u can

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Give Jagr some space and he's still a top 5 player in the world. The problem is that teams take advantage of him and the Rangers don't do anything about it and neither do the refs. Hard for a player to do well in that situation.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post

Gomer and Straka are his linemates. They would defend JJ if push came to shove, but as far as deflecting the heat by dishing it themselves....?

Aint happening.

Last year Hossa and his big strong self made a brief impact on the wing. Too bad his lack of offense kills that momentum.

We need a guy like Dustin Brown on JJs other wing.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

i would like to see him traded while he still holds some value

jagr to anaheim for edm 1st and ryan

wishful thinking but a guy can hope eh ha ha

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Great post Pru.

That is something that Sather should be doing this deadline. But its not going to be a forward, he has to bring in a top 4 dman that is willing to go out of his way to make teams pay to hit jagr.

Rob Blake? Could be. He can play somewhat decent defense still and he's not going to let teams take runs at Jagr all game. Plus we have Blake on the ice when Jagr is on the ice.

I'm not sure how much Blake fights, but I know he runs over to provide a nice elbow to someone face. Might make players thing twice before running Jagr.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Great post Pru.

That is something that Sather should be doing this deadline. But its not going to be a forward, he has to bring in a top 4 dman that is willing to go out of his way to make teams pay to hit jagr.

Rob Blake? Could be. He can play somewhat decent defense still and he's not going to let teams take runs at Jagr all game. Plus we have Blake on the ice when Jagr is on the ice.
Is Blake worth Baranka, Malik, and a third?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Great post Pru.

Brad Stuart could do that too and I think he will be cheaper.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Yes, easily. But LA would get a better offer then that.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
La was reportedly asking for a good prospect and a 1st.

Old
02-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Great post Pru.

I'm not sure how much Blake fights, but I know he runs over to provide a nice elbow to someone face. Might make players thing twice before running Jagr.
Just because players defend Jagr well doesn't mean they are running him. Bottom line is that Jagr won't change his game (we got a glimpse how successful he could be if he did), teams know how to defend him, most of the time they're not doing anything illegal.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Turambar

Quote:
come on, not another attempt to dump Malik to get a good player back in return.

don't we have enough of these proposals? why in God's name would a young team in full rebuild mode want to trade they're best defensemen and in return get an avergage (at best) prospect, a 3rd round pick, and a crapp y, 32 year old lout of a defenseman?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
alkurtz

This is one of the saddest situations you see in sports: a superstar elite player who is aging and just can no longer do what he was once capable of. It hurts to see him out there. JJ had tremendous pride and it must be tearing him up to be playing in this way.
He's like a pitcher who once could bring it at 98 mph and now can barely hit 90 and is getting lit up.
Some guys go quick and lose it all of a sudden, some lose it gradually. In retrospect, there were signs of this last year when his goal production fell off. I know we all attributed it to his shoulder and that was surely a factor; but the bigger factor was he was beginning to show and feel his age. Sad to see.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
chip chipperson*

i think that jagr has to stop grinding it out along the boards and let gomez and straka cycle. this will free jagr from at least one of the players double teaming him. he can open himself up in the shooting lane where gomez and straka can find him.

as good as he is controlling the puck along the boards while getting mugged or double teamed, he is not shooting the puck. he gets checked and there is a turnover and the puck gets cleared. i mean look at the times gomez has stolen the puck behind the net and fed jagr in the slot for the back hand goal. he needs to find room for himself to shoot.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
La was reportedly asking for a good prospect and a 1st.
Remember the last time LA asked for the moon and had the nerve to demand Staal from Sather? (I think for Norstrom, right?)

They ended up getting a redundant prospect in Cliche from us for Avery!

Old
02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
ThirdEye

0 points in his last 5 games... Ugh

That is hard to take in

Jagr deserves better than to be traded and forgotten about in NY, but you can't help but think that Sather at least considering something like it. There are certain teams were he can still make a huge impact, and this is not one of them. At least with this current roster

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:25 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
0 points in his last 5 games... Ugh

That is hard to take in

Jagr deserves better than to be traded and forgotten about in NY, but you can't help but think that Sather at least considering something like it. There are certain teams were he can still make a huge impact, and this is not one of them. At least with this current roster
sather is the guy who traded gretzky and messier. of course he is thinking about trading jagr.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

i could be wrong but i am sure it was mentioned during the game it was 7 games

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
sather is the guy who traded gretzky and messier. of course he is thinking about trading jagr.
Leetch too.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Leetch too.
dude good call.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
He's been thinking about it for a year.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02272007...rk_everson.htm

Only problem is that he may be too stubborn and not except anything less than a massive overpayment, which isn't likely.

Also of note in that article is that we've been "interested" in Blake for quite some time as well.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Remember the last time LA asked for the moon and had the nerve to demand Staal from Sather? (I think for Norstrom, right?)

They ended up getting a redundant prospect in Cliche from us for Avery!
It was Conroy Avery and Norstrom for Staal.

Old
02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
mstraka82

Slats sucks

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote