HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse need to be more aggressif

Old
02-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Hochelaga*

vCash: 500
Latendresse need to be more aggressif

I don't mean he need to fight every game or become crazy , but god damn is he a power forward or not? He's what? 6pi2 ? 230 lbs ? He really need to be more aggressif with his hits and when the game is heating up. And sometimes he should drop the gloves , and if he's scare right now , the club should teach him how to fight...He should really improve in those area since he's not a very good skater.I dont care about his skating abilities if he can hit a lot , fight sometimes , and be aggressif *quand ya une melé*.He'll never be a fast skater , so just improve what your suppose to be good at.

It's a not a ''hate latendresse'' thread , it is some serious question i'm asking right now.

Hochelaga* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
VanNistelrooy

Height 6.02 -- Weight 229

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I'm not sure if I want him to fight because of his history of concussions...and I would hate to lose him for his career or something due to that.

But for sure he needs to be more agressive...I have always said put him out on the PP and just get in front of the net and pester the goalie. He makes like 1 or 2 hits a game ....he needs to crunch some bodies and eat some babies.

GUI GUI GUI

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
I agree, I remember Lats being a lot more aggressive when he first came up. He still throws some nice hits once in awhile, but not with the regularity that he did in his 1st year.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
I am not a fan of Lats, and I bet you a guy like D'Agostini or Chipchura can fill the job better than him.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
I am not a fan of Lats, and I bet you a guy like D'Agostini or Chipchura can fill the job better than him.
He is still a young kid give him a chance.

I think he still has a lot of upside and has a CHANCE to become a great power forward but he needs to use his size and strength.

Old
02-10-2008, 08:57 AM
tiredman

when he was in his first pro camp with the team, i remember that he was hitting a lot and very hard and he was doing everything to score goals...

now, this part of his game seems to have regressed. yes he still hits from time to time but it's usually not as hard as it once was. Also, he was excellent to protect the puck in the offensive zone, along the boards... and he seems to have lost it.

i don't know if he played like that in the training camp because he was "rested" (summer)...

however, i think he has progressed in terms of passing, deking, patience and speed... but adding a few other things to his play will make him develop into a good player. Also, I think he should play less on the 4th line... playing more and with better linemates will surely develop him... just like it happened with kostitsyn.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Cristobal Huet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
He is still a young kid give him a chance.

I think he still has a lot of upside and has a CHANCE to become a great power forward but he needs to use his size and strength.
I agree, but I liked what I saw from Latendresse in the training camps, that's the kind of player he should be on a game by game basis.
I just don't like the way he's progressed.

Old
02-10-2008, 08:59 AM
tiredman

Quote:
depends of what "job" you are talking about...

to score goals and hit, lats is way better than chipchura (and most probably better than d'agostini as we talk).

for devensive play, chipchura is better.

totally different players IMO and they shouldn't be compared.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Cristobal Huet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
depends of what "job" you are talking about...

to score goals and hit, lats is way better than chipchura (and most probably better than d'agostini as we talk).

for devensive play, chipchura is better.

totally different players IMO and they shouldn't be compared.
The "job" I meant is where he's playing now.
Tender plays anywhere from the 1st to 4th line, I like Chipchura's overall more than Lats, I think he's more complete and besides hitting, Chips can do just as good if not better than what Latendresse has done this year.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Quote:
I agree, but I liked what I saw from Latendresse in the training camps, that's the kind of player he should be on a game by game basis.
I just don't like the way he's progressed.
I agree that is up for some debate. But I am happy he is on the team.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Quote:
The "job" I meant is where he's playing now.
Tender plays anywhere from the 1st to 4th line, I like Chipchura's overall more than Lats, I think he's more complete and besides hitting, Chips can do just as good if not better than what Latendresse has done this year.
Isn't Chips a center and Lats a winger though?

Old
02-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Cristobal Huet

Quote:
Isn't Chips a center and Lats a winger though?
Yes, but would it honestly make a difference if Chip were on the wing?

Old
02-10-2008, 09:04 AM
dutchy29

Agreed he does need to be more aggressive, I mean too often we've been seeing SKostitsyn getting tough out their when we are down to stir something up and his linemates half the time are also small players ie. Koivu. This is very upsetting, I'm disgusted with guys like Kostopolus and Lats who could really be providing a big edge in these games and dont. Losing 6-1 sucks and maybe if these guys could have thrown a few big hits it may have kept their big line on edge a little. Instead Redden beats up SKostitsyn, whoooo hooooooo

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Quote:
Yes, but would it honestly make a difference if Chip were on the wing?
Arguably .....yes.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
I disagree but only because Lats is projected to be a solid power forward off the wing. None of the others you named are projected to be like that, except maybe Chips. But I can't see the Habs moving him from center to the wing.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Hochelaga*

One possibility about his hitting regularity is that he can't hit like in the training camp because now he know he must fight if he's throwing a bunch of hits none-stop.In hockey if you're hitting none-stop you must fight sometimes because you can't hit and then back down too often.

I'm 6p 180 lbs & I'm the kind of person who's not afraid of everyone , a little bit like Bouillon , *j'ai du chien* , I would love to see Tender become like that.Il faut qu'il affronte ses peur si il en a.He's a big guy , there's no reason to be afraid.Learn to fight if you're not confidant in your fight ability and you fear the humiliation.Fight more often on the road to begin.I dont know , theres a lot of trick he can use.

Hochelaga* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not sure if I want him to fight because of his history of concussions...and I would hate to lose him for his career or something due to that.

But for sure he needs to be more agressive...I have always said put him out on the PP and just get in front of the net and pester the goalie. He makes like 1 or 2 hits a game ....he needs to crunch some bodies and eat some babies.

GUI GUI GUI
Problem is he's so inconsistent. He doesn't always go to the net hard and is not willing sacrifice himself to stay in front of the net like Holmstrom.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochelaga View Post
One possibility about his hitting regularity is that he can't hit like in the training camp because now he know he must fight if he's throwing a bunch of hits none-stop.In hockey if you're hitting none-stop you must fight sometimes because you can't hit and then back down too often.
Very good observation Hochelaga, but there is still fighting during the pre-season.

But you could be right, maybe Lats isn't hitting quite as much as before because he's not a fighter. All I know is during his 1st training camp I was very impressed with him being agressive. But like tiredman said, I have seen a lot of improvements in other parts of his game.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Problem is he's so inconsistent. He doesn't always go to the net hard and is not willing sacrifice himself to stay in front of the net like Holmstrom.
I totally agree.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I blame that on age more then anything else. Most young players during their formative years are very inconsistent.

But I agree, he seems to have lost his edge a little bit this year.

Old
02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Pascal

Lats has been horrible for weeks now but the media and fans let him off the hook because he is young and possibly because he's French.

He plays like a 150 lbs centre, trying to be fancy when he should be shooting, not hitting and not playing the crash and bang hockey he should be using. He also doesn't stand in front of the net enough and his skating has not improved at all.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Iwishihadacup

they will ask him to take power skating lessons this summer

but he will take them, not like a certain portorican i dont remember the name

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Joe Lamb

All of us hope and pray for Latendresse to become that powerfoward we've
dreamed of.But , for me , his progress has slowed.I worry that he may never
develop to the point of being a top 6 forward.His skating is still a huge issue
that makes him late on plays and a liability on defense.He still has lots of hits
but most are after the pass has been made and rarely results in a turnover.His
size and strength allow him to control the puck along the boards but the one
man cycle is getting a little old.That scary combination of size,strength and
great hands is an asset worthy of great care and attention.
Though probably very unpopular, I believe 10-20 games in Hamilton would be
the best for his development-ala Laps and currently Chips.It would give him a
chance to be the "man", play in all situations,gain some confidence,work on
the skating,etc.

Just my thoughts.

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
he was excellent to protect the puck in the offensive zone, along the boards... and he seems to have lost it
I'm sure if he ever got the puck in the offensive zone he'd be doing a decent job of protecting it.

There's simply no two ways about, no ifs ands or buts, no [insert cliche], the kid has to stop playing like a little female genitalia. When there are scrums, I WANNA SEE AT LEAST A FACEWASH!!!!!!!!!!!

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote