HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

La Presse's subtle propaganda against Koivu is officially identified

Old
02-11-2008, 05:48 AM
RushDP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
The OP and others want pure objectivity in their hockey coverage but can't apply that to their own posts when attacking journalists.

Read the article again. Labbe doesnt make it personal against Koivu, he's actually respectful.
I believe YOU should read the article again...this time without the rose colored glasses. It is an attack and nothing less than an attack. It is not his opinion he's expressing it is a blatant campaign to portray Koivu as done and he'd be better off somewhere else. Add to that his hypocritical final statement that it would be best for Koivu's future. Somehow he makes the leap that there would be plenty of interest for this failure of a captain. Gee if he's so valuable you think maybe we should keep him around? The guy is a hack just like La Presse is a rag publishing articles about Kovy without any proof.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't read any Montreal papers so I do not worry about it.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
His credibility about the tape thing isn't my point. I'm formulating an opinion based on what I have observed. This is the same thing La Presse did with Koivu.

Saying he's jealous, can't accept his role, etc... is damaging to his reputation and career.

Celebs don't sue tabloids, even if they probably have a right to. The Habs just take the high road and ignore it, same way Celebs do.

Fair enough, but in either case, I think it's really low to publish personal opinions or suppositions about someone else in this context. It's low, it's gutless and it's shoddy journalism. Plenty of other publications sell plenty without resorting to this bush league BS.
i think you give the habs a little too much credit there...

as they say, "any press is good press". Local media outlets essentially provide sports teams with their number 1 marketing tool. The ability for a team to be "front page" news is huge, just ask all the struggling teams south of the border.
To sue them(or threaten to sue) every time they crossed the line a little bit with a comment or story, would be completely unproductive to the teams ultimate goal, which is to make money.
While it may be in the interest of a given player, it would never be in the owners interest, and in the end he calls the shots.

And i don't know how many newspaper sports sections don't have AT LEAST one writer that makes his living by being controversial/confrontational.
Maybe some smaller, hockey specific circulations do, but they aren't facing the same type of "competition" as a daily sports section in a major newspaper (where writers compete with other sports, daily news, entertainment/culture, cooking tips and horoscopes) does in trying to attract the readers attention.

I'm not trying to justify everything that's ever been written, or to say that there aren't some writers that have obviously lowers moral standards, but I think that it's all part of the business, and the players generally know and understand that, probably taking it a lot less personally than we tend to (when we see our sports "heroes" taking pot shots by "gutless" hacks...)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
In most of the recent controversial articles published in La Presse and some of the pundits in the Montreal Media recommending Koivu's immediate and ''supposedly needed'' dismissal in Montreal,their agenda has been revealed.They're trying to run Saku out of town,with illogic and suspect arguments to prove their point.

La Presse is La Presse.It's not the first time that they campaign for something rather than actually report and analyze.And usually,their campaign will be an subtle attempt to run someone out of town,rarely to the team's benefit.

Besides,we have seen the ridiculous overreaction resulted to the last 2 losses so thus a Koivu controversy has been created as he should be traded away from Montreal.

As a whole,La Presse's standards have been lowered.The newspaper's quality has regressed,and these controversial attempts to get someone out of his way are ridiculous.

They are always looking for a soapbox to say something controversial from.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Haddock

All I know is that most people who don't like La Presse's sport section are probably really happy with the editorial pages instead. Somehow, it tells me what I need to know about agendas...

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:08 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I believe YOU should read the article again...this time without the rose colored glasses. It is an attack and nothing less than an attack. It is not his opinion he's expressing it is a blatant campaign to portray Koivu as done and he'd be better off somewhere else. Add to that his hypocritical final statement that it would be best for Koivu's future. Somehow he makes the leap that there would be plenty of interest for this failure of a captain. Gee if he's so valuable you think maybe we should keep him around? The guy is a hack just like La Presse is a rag publishing articles about Kovy without any proof.

1- I'm not the one going to war against anybody being critical against the Habs, I'm not the one seeing everything through pink colored glasses.

2- It IS his opinion, you can call it an attack as well if you wish.

Why would all these guys be on a personal vendetta against Koivu? Please provide some reasons, I don't see any.

Maybe Koivu refused to sign a stick for Labbe's son, fu**** Gagnon's wife, insulted Tremblay's mother? Kicked Brunet's dog?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
They tried with Kovalev, didn't work, and now nobody will support them against Kovy so they have gone to the next guy they want out.
I don't think they "tried" to get rid of Kovalev. Knowing that Kovalev made an interview in Russia about the team was pure gold for journalists. I don't agree with the method - neither with what they say - but you can't blame them for being "good" journalists. Journal de Montréal are trying hard to make something similar, but all they throw is crap.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I believe YOU should read the article again...this time without the rose colored glasses. It is an attack and nothing less than an attack. It is not his opinion he's expressing it is a blatant campaign to portray Koivu as done and he'd be better off somewhere else. Add to that his hypocritical final statement that it would be best for Koivu's future. Somehow he makes the leap that there would be plenty of interest for this failure of a captain. Gee if he's so valuable you think maybe we should keep him around?
It must be said that plenty of posters around here who are evidently less-than-objective Koivu fanboys have said essentially the same thing: That Saku Koivu might play better elsewhere.

Ditto on observations that he seems less enthusiastic/energetic on the ice than he used to.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:20 AM
habfan4

Yeah, another media thread. It's déjà-vu all over again.

I can't for the life of me figure out the sensitivity of some when a member of the media is criticized for what they choose to print. Sure some of the criticism is unfounded, but that is a response to the fact that hockey coverage in Montréal and beyond has been sensationalized to the point of irrelevancy. Fans should accept the fact that there are perhaps a dozen or so competent sports journalists in this entire country, the rest are clowns who are just along for the ride. Fan backlash is more pronounced in Montréal (not because of linguistic considerations) because the team appears to have turned the corner after a decade of futility but the coverage of the club is still mired in the dark ages.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Subtle?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
_DrMario_

The Habs Hfboard whining about the press having an agenda against a player.

Hypocrites.

_DrMario_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:33 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post

Hypocrites.
When I get payed for my forum posts you can ***** all you want.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post

Hypocrites.
There's nothing hypocritical about it. If someone in the press prints a pile of steaming ********, then he/she is fair game for criticism. Similarly, if a someone on these boards posts a pile of steaming ********, then they are fair game for criticism.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:31 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
So could Koivu sue the "journalists" who make suppositions about him being "sour" and "jealous" or whatever?
the guy spent the third period on the bench, his coach said in the press conference after the game that saku had to stop taking penalties in the offensive zone...

now, If koivu isn't frustrated that his coach does not have confidence in him (or less should I say), maybe he's not the HOLY LEADER you want him to be?

because if he cares about the team, he has to be frustrated, or concerned at least...

plek is the #1 center, anyone doesn't agree? Thats what I thought...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
the guy spent the third period on the bench, his coach said in the press conference after the game that saku had to stop taking penalties in the offensive zone...

now, If koivu isn't frustrated that his coach does not have confidence in him (or less should I say), maybe he's not the HOLY LEADER you want him to be?

because if he cares about the team, he has to be frustrated, or concerned at least...

My Aunt used to answer her own questions too. Poor woman.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Stephen Locke*

Why exactly this thread discussion has been ressuscited?

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:42 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
My Aunt used to answer her own questions too. Poor woman.
sry about your aunt.... nice , constructive comment.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Boredom mostly and lack of proper shish taouk i'd say...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:46 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Boredom mostly and lack of proper shish taouk i'd say...
Lonely for my Aunt ?

Old
02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I don't know Pres. I think the kid's doesn't like Koivu so he's looking for an angle ? Is he ? I don't know . He might be. I thought so.

Old
02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post

I'm sorry but I don't understand what this has to do with the text you quoted.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what this has to do with the text you quoted.
Observing Koivu haters joyfully fantasazing and exclusively focusingabout Saku's misfortunes is an sad testament as a Habs fan.Excruciating embarassement.When you see people saying that Koivu is a *overrated wimpy ****** and an ass* you know some people are reaching a new low.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
oli500

As far as I know bob gainey runs this team. The media can whine all they want about a player, bob will not cave in. 10 years ago it might of work but management today could care less of what some papers think of there players.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
ari1160

LaPresse is a total joke.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 03:35 AM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
As far as I know bob gainey runs this team. The media can whine all they want about a player, bob will not cave in. 10 years ago it might of work but management today could care less of what some papers think of there players.
+1

Prime example, Kovaleav and Plekanec last year.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote