HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Providence name change

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2004, 12:06 AM
  #1
hubofhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Providence name change

LF'ers -- Years ago, I hung the nickname Baby B's on the Bruins' AHL affiliate. It stuck. Over the years, however, I've received some complaints--fans who don't like associating babies with their hockey playersw (sounds adolescent to me).
So, I'm debating a nickname change to either: 1 the Cubs, or 2. the Cubbies.
Preferences?
Please discuss. Really not sure which way to go here.
As always, your input is invaluable.

kpd/hoh

hubofhockey is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:09 AM
  #2
BostonGrl819
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Baby B's is still better, no offense. "Cubs" and "Cubbies" reminds me too much of the baseball team (and the stuffed animal I had when I was a kid).

Lots of people call them the PB's...pretty hard to object to that.

BostonGrl819 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:12 AM
  #3
hubofhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
bg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGrl819
Baby B's is still better, no offense. "Cubs" and "Cubbies" reminds me too much of the baseball team (and the stuffed animal I had when I was a kid).

Lots of people call them the PB's...pretty hard to object to that.
BG -- Trust me, BG, no matter what your write, people will object to it. That much I do know. To wit: the guy who wrote me yesterday, all out of shape, because I did not include in my Girard story whether JG was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

kpd/hoh

hubofhockey is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:15 AM
  #4
BostonGrl819
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Yeah, maybe if you switch to PB's you'll get enraged emails from people who are allergic to peanut butter.

Are you really getting that many complaints about "Baby B's"?

BostonGrl819 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
  #5
Adam West
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
The Baby B's is a fine name for the P-Bruins. As you say people will always complain so you might as well stick with what you have.

Adam West is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:33 AM
  #6
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
thoughts

howabout:

1.) Future Injury Call Ups
2.) Huml's Heroes
3.) Buddies of Buddy (Cianci)
4.) Donut Dunkers
5.) The Farmhands
6.) Les Ours Petits
7.) Poutine Eaters

Magnus Fulgur is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
  #7
hubofhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
backatcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGrl819
Yeah, maybe if you switch to PB's you'll get enraged emails from people who are allergic to peanut butter.

Are you really getting that many complaints about "Baby B's"?
Many complaints? No, not many, but I've had a few over the years. More than anything, contemplating a change now for something different--my own version of a third sweater.
You know what, you aren't that far off on the PB-Peanut Butter thing.
A few years into using one of my favorites: Jon Casey and the Amazin' Technicolor Five Hole, I received a cease-and-desist letter from the attorneys for Techniclor. Honest. Hey, isn't their beef with Joseph and the Amazin' Technicolor Dreamcoat? I only stole it from there, you know?
But again, no matter what you write, someone is mad. Guaranteed.
What's most telling of all, in terms of reader behavoir...well, here's an interesting exercise: Scroll up the comments regarding my Girard feature (and I am not doing this for a pat on the back, trust me). It's virtually 100 percent positive, and I truly appreciate the kind words, as I'm sure JG would, too.
But after some five months here on HFB, I found it interesting--and very revealing--to see who DIDN'T respond to it at all. Curious, isn't it? There are simply those people out there who can't say something nice--be it to wish JG well, or simply to say they liked the story--and I think their silence was deafening. Do I care about the good words? No. Because if that's what motivates you in this biz, you'd be out of it within six months. But the same folks who obviously read the story, and saw the thread, will go on forever about the B's fifth-line center. Go figure. Again, after getting a handle on the personalities behind the HF user names, I found the absentee respondants to be very telling.

kpd/hoh

kpd/hoh

hubofhockey is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
  #8
scotiahockey
Insider
 
scotiahockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ahwatukee, AZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
not associating babies with hockey players?? good lord didn't they see JR's escapade?

Seriously though- how about the Pubescent B's?

scotiahockey is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 12:42 AM
  #9
BostonGrl819
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
If you want your own version of the third sweater, go Vintage rather than Pooh (i.e. Cubbies-no offense).

Wickedb's-I'm pretty sure they don't sell poutine in Prov.
(Unless Habs fans have infiltrated the state...)

BostonGrl819 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 01:02 AM
  #10
Jim Carey Price
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,212
vCash: 500
I don't see how you can stray from Baby B's...its pretty good...it has the illiteration...and 'Baby' has been associated with bears for years...think of GoldieLocks..and I know for a fact that there is a kids TV show with a character named 'Baby Bear' in it..
Cubbies are too baseball...though a great team, and comparably similar fans, teams, ownership philosphies thoughout the years (and neither have won a championship in my lifetime, though the Cubs havent in my Grandpas..)
if there are too many objections to Baby, all I can suggest is Teddies..or "da minah b's"...or when they play Hamilton you could call them the "petit oursons" i guess..

Jim Carey Price is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
  #11
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
LF'ers -- Years ago, I hung the nickname Baby B's on the Bruins' AHL affiliate. It stuck. Over the years, however, I've received some complaints--fans who don't like associating babies with their hockey playersw (sounds adolescent to me).
So, I'm debating a nickname change to either: 1 the Cubs, or 2. the Cubbies.
Preferences?
Please discuss. Really not sure which way to go here.
As always, your input is invaluable.

kpd/hoh

Hasn't the term "Baby" been used in reference to other farm teams too? Kind of like the term "Lady" to describe women's college sports teams? I can't think of specific examples, but I thought that I've heard fans of other teams stealing this term.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 01:43 AM
  #12
TMHUNH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
Hasn't the term "Baby" been used in reference to other farm teams too? Kind of like the term "Lady" to describe women's college sports teams? I can't think of specific examples, but I thought that I've heard fans of other teams stealing this term.
I call the WBS Penguins the baby pens.... but it may be just because I have called Prov. the Baby B's for so lone it is like instinct.... but I think it is a pretty commonly used term when the farm team shares the same team name as its higher ups.

TMHUNH is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 01:51 AM
  #13
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH
I call the WBS Penguins the baby pens.... but it may be just because I have called Prov. the Baby B's for so lone it is like instinct.... but I think it is a pretty commonly used term when the farm team shares the same team name as its higher ups.

For what it's worth a few of my Pens fan friends call them the Baby Pens too, you're not alone.

Ruckus007 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 01:55 AM
  #14
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!
 
Lam7825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tacoma WA (for now)
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
from what I've seen, calling the minor leaguers "baby" anything isn't new. I saw somewhere on the HF Boards tonight that the "baby" Habs are playing the "baby" Leafs.
Same is true in baseball......the top minor affiliate of the Seattle Mariners is called the "baby M's." I'm sure it's the same story in most markets.
Don't change the name. The name fits.

Lauri from Tacoma
(home of the "baby" Mariners!)

Lam7825 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 02:44 AM
  #15
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
LF'ers -- Years ago, I hung the nickname Baby B's on the Bruins' AHL affiliate. It stuck. Over the years, however, I've received some complaints--fans who don't like associating babies with their hockey playersw (sounds adolescent to me).
So, I'm debating a nickname change to either: 1 the Cubs, or 2. the Cubbies.
Preferences?
Please discuss. Really not sure which way to go here.
As always, your input is invaluable.

kpd/hoh
With all the geezers they've dressed this season you should nickname them the Geriatric B's.....

WBC8 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 02:49 AM
  #16
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
It must be a slow news day.

misterjaggers is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 02:58 AM
  #17
SToMper!
Registered User
 
SToMper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 500
I remember the Cape Cud Cubs and the "spoked" C, they were the Cubs. The Baby-B's are just that the Baby-B's or the P-Bruins. Gotta leave it the right way, or at least til you get the cease & poutine letter!

SToMper! is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 03:03 AM
  #18
DFENS44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Optimism, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
I will call them....Mini B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
LF'ers -- Years ago, I hung the nickname Baby B's on the Bruins' AHL affiliate. It stuck. Over the years, however, I've received some complaints--fans who don't like associating babies with their hockey playersw (sounds adolescent to me).
So, I'm debating a nickname change to either: 1 the Cubs, or 2. the Cubbies.
kpd/hoh
I don't really see a NEED to change. It goes to being able to please SOME of the people all of the time, or ALL of the people SOME of the time... or however that saying goes. IF Providence itself doesn't have a problem with it, then no worries. If you're trying to placate all the random readers.....I have a bridge in Iraq for sale...

If you have to...MINI B's! "Throw me a frickin' bone here people..."

DFENS44 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 05:05 AM
  #19
OV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
LF'ers -- Years ago, I hung the nickname Baby B's on the Bruins' AHL affiliate. It stuck. Over the years, however, I've received some complaints--fans who don't like associating babies with their hockey playersw (sounds adolescent to me).
So, I'm debating a nickname change to either: 1 the Cubs, or 2. the Cubbies.
Preferences?
Please discuss. Really not sure which way to go here.
As always, your input is invaluable.

kpd/hoh
Well, since they're underlings you could call 'em the BVDs, short for Boston's Vanquished Delinquents. Or because they have a "P" on their chests you could shoot for the Whiz Kids.....OR ya could just leave it at Baby B's. Baby B's takes my vote (for whatever that's worth!) : )

OV is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 02:19 PM
  #20
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 38,871
vCash: 500
Awards:
Call 'em what you want Dupes..

They'll still be The Baby Bs to me.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 02:30 PM
  #21
TMac21
Retooled for 2014
 
TMac21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Yeah, Baby B's is what I am used to and it fits the bill.

TMac21 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 03:01 PM
  #22
brianscot
Registered User
 
brianscot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
How about the " if I wasnt so freakin slow, I wouldnt be stuck in the minors" B's?

brianscot is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 03:02 PM
  #23
Gator Mike
 
Gator Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Woburn, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
How about the "Soon To B's"?

Gator Mike is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 05:21 PM
  #24
number IV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Danville, Pa.
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
How about the "Soon To B's"?
How bout Polar Bruins? Isn't Rhode Island 99% water. Perfect climate for
cousin of the big,bad grizzly..the polar bears..or when they're not playing
well...bi-polar bears....

number IV is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 05:38 PM
  #25
Jeff from Maine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,689
vCash: 500
Or Just As Appropraietly...

the NEVER Will B`s.

Later

Jeff from Maine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.