HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa-Carolina trade

Old
02-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
True, but playing with Fischer and Vermette could change that not to mention a cup run.
Those guys are a downgrade from Staal Brind'amour Williams and Cole.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His numbers started dropping when Williams go injured, they could rebound.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Disclose

vCash: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
but they can always play him in the top line... which is an upgrade and i believe thats whats they'll try to do.

Heater - Spezza - Stillman
Vermette - Fisher - Alfie

Ottawa was a one line team.
Theyre better now

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Wow that's actually a really good deal for both teams, Mike Commodore is a big loss for the Canes but I think they didn't believe they could sign him.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, it seems like a straightaway fit for Ottawa, anyway. And it might/should help Carolina too... eventually. (It might look even better for them if/when Stillman re-signs there in the summer too.)

But that said, taking a reverse-angle look to it, I thought Ottawa was supposed to be quite eager to dump off Corvo's contract, that he was considered a double threat to them in terms of being both a liability on the ice and a liability on the cap. Granted, he fits a need for the Canes. But I guess if I was their GM I would have preyed mercilessly on my knowledge of how well the Cup-experienced Stillman and Commodore fit the Sens' needs and how eager I knew they'd be to dump Corvo. Eaves is good/promising, but injury-prone.

It might/should help Carolina eventually, but... from a negotiation standpoint, I would have thought they'd have the leverage to get more back in the deal, that's all. It was a cheap price for Ottawa... by ridiculous deadline standards.

If Carolina were tanking the season I would agree that they should have held out for more in this deal. But considering how big their need is for an offensive style D-man, and the limited amount that seem available. I think was the difference between holding out and closing the deal a.s.a.p.

Plus I don't see the big deal with Corvo's contract. 2.7 mil for 2 more years for a 40 pt d-man is very reasonable. He's also been a plus player, even on some weak Kings teams.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
random_guy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
but they can always play him in the top line... which is an upgrade and i believe thats whats they'll try to do.

Theyre better now

And we still don't get consistent secondary scoring.

random_guy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not sure I call Commodore a #4 defensman on a Cup contending team though..but nevertheless. They add experience/toughness to a team that already had some...Good move, but it still doesn't addresse their needs, just strengthens what they already have. Though I guess in the absence of the former you add the ladder...
Haha..ok I might have stretched it a bit. I guess I was day dreaming how well of a fit he would be on the Habs as our 4th d-man.

Old
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post

Theyre better now

Actually I can see them doing that to spread out the offense. Maybe through Alfie back up with Heater and Speeza if they need instant offense.

Old
02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Great trade for Ottawa.

Will Gainey respond? Doubt it.
Well Eaves and Corvo ain'T bad a return for 2 rentals, specially that they both play to a good level Right now and that Eaves will be around for a while (he's what 22?)

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
A steal for the Sens in my opinion. LA was so eager to get rid of that defensive liability that Corvo was and still is while Eaves might have the potential of a young guy being let go way too soon but I don't think it's ceiling is that high.

Anyway, as far as Ottawa is concerned, it is pretty easy to analyse. Before that trade, Ottawa didn't have that great of a 2nd line. Now they do and they get something better and a veteran presence in the back end.

Eaves might have the highest potential of all though. But right now, great trade for Sens.

As far as both guys being UFA, when you're playing in a winning team like they will, I don't see how the Sens won't be able to sign them anyway.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Belso

If Montreal does nothing this year, Montreal will be better next year. Ottawa may not be if those 2 UFA sign in Ottawa again next year.

I only want to see Gainey do something if it is long term. I am not a fan of rentals unless you are the best team in the east and are going for a home run (the Cup)...

If you miss, your team will suffer for years to come...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Analyzer

We still have a two weeks, maybe three?

Be patient, Ottawa makes a deal and all of you start saying idiotic things.

Well, not all of you, but the ones who love players when they score and want their head when they don't/

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
bert

Quote:
Not really IMO...

They're as much a contender than they were before...they add playoff experience, which is great. But I don't think it addresses some of their team's weaknesses.

Though it still a solid move for a team looking to win it all this year...they just better hope they win it this year because their cupboards are getting bare
Well really it addresses all kinds of weaknesses. Secondary scoring and a physical mean right handed stay at home defenseman to play with Redden.

The only real weakness this team now has is a true number one goaltender. Which is probably the most important thing a team can have in the playoffs but unfortunately true number ones are very hard to come by and when you have one you dont trade it.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:16 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Haha..ok I might have stretched it a bit. I guess I was day dreaming how well of a fit he would be on the Habs as our 4th d-man.
Commodore was #3 in icetime (almost 20 minutes) among defenseman on Carolina during their cup run.

I think he's capable of playing top 4 on contenders. In Ottawa, he'll be paired with Redden on the 2nd pairing.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Airborne Troll*

Bryan Murray is a genius

Stillman waived his no-trade clause to be traded to Ottawa

Commodore is excited to play in a Canadian city again

They will BOTH resign

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Man View Post
They will BOTH resign
Maybe. If they have the cap space. They're likely to lose Redden as it is.

One thing I notice though is that the price for UFAs may not be all that high.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Well really it addresses all kinds of weaknesses. Secondary scoring and a physical mean right handed stay at home defenseman to play with Redden.

The only real weakness this team now has is a true number one goaltender. Which is probably the most important thing a team can have in the playoffs but unfortunately true number ones are very hard to come by and when you have one you dont trade it.
Yeah...I get that.

Secondary scoring isn't the Sens problem nor is it a weakness. That team scores a boatload of goals when they're healthy. They're secondary scoring is as good as Detroit's, Anaheim or San Jose's.

This term of having a "1 line" is thrown around, every team is going to struggle if you shut down their #1 line. The difference with the Sens is they probably have the toughest, or one of the toughest #1 line to shut down. If the Sens want to get more secondary scoring, they can easily put Alfredsson on anyother line, even double shifting him during games.

The Sens added scoring, on a team that really has no issues when it comes to scoring goals + they added toughness, a trait they have an abundance of, but granted, adding more never hurts.

Add in the Cup experience, it's definately a good move for them. As I said, they're a team in the 'now' so it makes sense. I'm just not convinced both players make them *that* much more of a contender than they were when I woke up this morning and didn't know about this trade. The same question marks I had for the Sens haven't changed.

If anything, they've solidified they're position as the #1 seed in the East, which IMO, was already a given.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 4008
Excellent move by the Sens, both are UFA and have plenty for experience. They gonna help in the playoffs and with Corvo off the books they can make an offer to keep Redden. Eaves is overrated anyway.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Habs

....all that firepower and such little goaltending = first round exit.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Emery was solid last year, especially in the show. Gerber has been stellar at times this year. I'd be more concerned with the Wings goaltending.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
cisfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
There very close in landing a truley proven number 1 goalie.

cisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
jpguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I'll laugh my ass off when both commodore and stillman will fall due to injuries.
There is the risk of that happening: after all these are two players that have been injury-prone these last couple of years. There doesn't appear to be any problems as of now, however, I still think Ottawa got the best of it.

They got better defensively and offensively. A heck of a trade by Bryan Murray.

Will Gainey respond? I think it depends where he thinks this team can go. Personnally, I don't think we're one or two players away yet, like the Sens are. And now, it's become a seller's markets as teams that have players to deal will realize how much more "desperate" (if you want to call it that) other teams in the NHL will become.

I think Gainey stays put this year, and because the Canadiens are looking up this year, hopefully it'll be easier for him to draw free agents to Montreal, and in the summer we see Hossa or maybe Jokinen come to Habstown.

jpguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Yeah...I get that.

Secondary scoring isn't the Sens problem nor is it a weakness. That team scores a boatload of goals when they're healthy. They're secondary scoring is as good as Detroit's, Anaheim or San Jose's.
Well, their staff certainly disagrees with you. Quote from the article:

"When you look at our lineup on Saturday night, those three guys pretty much got all the points," Murray told the CANADIAN PRESS when discussing Saturday's victory over Montreal. "You can't have that. When you get the shutdown guys on you and you can't get secondary scoring, then you have a real problem..."

I was thinking one could replace Murray's name with Gainey and it would have read true for most of our games recently. Difference? One of the two tried to address the issue.

I'll reserved my "who won the trade" opinion until I see how they each fit in with their new groups, but acquiring a guy like Stillman (who should break out of his funk getting 2nd line time on Ottawa and perhaps some time with 2 of the big three on PPs) gives them more depth and combinations (can play LW or RW) for spreading out the offense on the top 2 lines. And he proved in 05/06 that he can show up in the post season. Injuries will be a question however.

I wonder if this will ACTUALLY pressure Gainey's hand at all. Guess we'll see.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Brisk-Illusion

The Sens will end up looking really stupid for giving up on Eaves in a few years, Stillman is useless, and Eaves and Corvo is too big of a price to give up from Commodore.

What Boyes is to leafs fans, Eaves will become to sens fans. (at least we got a decent return for Ribero )

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 09:52 PM
MathMan

The big difference between Ottawa the one-line team and Montreal the one-line team, besides the relative production of that first line, is that Montreal's secondary scorers are slumping whereas Ottawa's were never really there to begin with. Ryder, Higgins, and Koivu have all shown they can produce, and will do nicely if they can get back to close to their usual level of production. Then they have guys like Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn salting the lower lines.

Then there's production from the blueline. Montreal's D-men are very good offensively (see: Markov, Andrei and Streit, Mark).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote