HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa-Carolina trade

Old
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Well this should force Gainey's hand to do something and stay competitive, I would think.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
DOOM IS UPON US LETS ALL DENY OUR MTL GOdS FULL OF LIES AND CHANGE OUR ALLEGIANCE TO OTTAWA-WORSHIPPERS!!!!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
DOOM IS UPON US LETS ALL DENY OUR MTL GOdS FULL OF LIES AND CHANGE OUR ALLEGIANCE TO OTTAWA-WORSHIPPERS!!!!
...eaaasy now little fella, there are drugs just for what ails ya... dont lose hope.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Iwishihadacup

there was a so i assume that meant i was sarcastic

LOL

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
but they can always play him in the top line... which is an upgrade and i believe thats whats they'll try to do.

Heater - Spezza - Stillman
Vermette - Fisher - Alfie

Ottawa was a one line team.
Theyre better now
They could have just as easily stuck Eaves up there and let him put up pioints on the 1st line. I don't see how Ottawa made out like bandits. Would any of you being doing cartwheels if we traded S.Kostitsyn for Satan and put him on Kovy and Plek's line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Stillmans stats are very inflated on Carolina, Commodore is a good defenceman. Yes it improves their team, but cup favourite? Come on...
Ottawa was ONE of the 3 cup favourates b4 this deal.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
One Trick Pony

The sens can be happy now but we will reply! Gainey will reply!

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:08 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Actually he had a trade waiting on his desk. Apparently the Pens love Malkin's progression and decided to give up on Crosby for help now. It was Sid for Smolinski straight up as they needed veteran leadership.

But the deal came after Gainey jet off to Tampa and Ray Shero only gave him 1 hour to make up his mind...

Oh well, we still got Smoke.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Actually he had a trade waiting on his desk. Apparently the Pens love Malkin's progression and decided to give up on Crosby for help now. It was Sid for Smolinski straight up as they needed veteran leadership.

But the deal came after Gainey jet off to Tampa and Ray Shero only gave him 1 hour to make up his mind...

Oh well, we still got Smoke.
It's okay. According to a source from HF, smokes might get traded for Lecavalier.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Gainey isnt pressured to move because of this deal. MTL is a young team that has to learn things on its own. If Bob is going to make big deals its going to be be next year, maybe because of the 100th b-day of the franchise.

I dont see Gainey doing anything rash because of this deal, i mean all he has to do is wait and see. Were surely not going to win the Cup this year so lets keep this team together, keep the kids having fun playing together and build upon that.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
If Montreal does nothing this year, Montreal will be better next year. Ottawa may not be if those 2 UFA sign in Ottawa again next year.

I only want to see Gainey do something if it is long term. I am not a fan of rentals unless you are the best team in the east and are going for a home run (the Cup)...

If you miss, your team will suffer for years to come...
Sign or dont't sign? @ any rate...looking at their roster

Spezza 24
Heatley 26
Volchenkov 24
Fisher 27
Phillips 28
Mezaros 22
Emery 25
Vermette 25
Faligno 20
Bass 21
Kelly 26
Neil 26
Schubert 26
Redden 29
McGrattan 26

heck everyone of their key players to even valuable ROLE players to heck tough guys will be either in their early to mid to late 20's except Alfredsson at 34 now.

I don't see how they aren't as good or better team for the years to come. They are a young team (with a lot of playoff exposure/expereince at the same time luckly) that has all their players from pt A to Z (including and most importantly the stars) being very young with the exception of Alfredsson, McCammond, Donavan, Robitaille, and Richardson being 30 and over.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 02-11-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old
02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Gainey isnt pressured to move because of this deal. MTL is a young team that has to learn things on its own. If Bob is going to make big deals its going to be be next year, maybe because of the 100th b-day of the franchise.

I dont see Gainey doing anything rash because of this deal, i mean all he has to do is wait and see. Were surely not going to win the Cup this year so lets keep this team together, keep the kids having fun playing together and build upon that.
You're probably right he wont move this year. But if he doesn't he better get us a good UFA this summer.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Man View Post
Bryan Murray is a genius

Stillman waived his no-trade clause to be traded to Ottawa

Commodore is excited to play in a Canadian city again

They will BOTH resign

I think TSN even said Ottawa was the only team Stillman told Rutherford he would waive his NTC for. Apparently the guy liked Raleigh.

Old
02-12-2008, 12:18 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisfan View Post
There very close in landing a truley proven number 1 goalie.
who? the over priced Bulin?

I think Murray is smarter than that, strappin himself with 6.7 mill per for the next 3 years. Besides I think Emery is good enough if he stops being a clown ala Allen Iverson and start showing up for practice.....on time.

He has enough talent to get the job done for that team and the expereince even at 25. Who in the east can say they have taken a team to the finals b4 other than Brodeur, Ward and Emery? none Look I amnot saying Emery is the best goalie around but even last year every team from Pitts, Jersey, and deffinetely Buffalo was licking their chops and NEVER got a chance to get to him. Ottawa as a team overwhelmed them all at the other end. It wasn't untill they met their match was Emery realy tested and beaten. IN the first 2 games in Anaheim were Ottawa was TOTALY outplayed, he was easily their best player and kept it a one goal game. That is all mental toughness right there which I like in goalies.

Huet, Thomas....all these guys are just unproven pretenders for now who are older yes but havent proven jack or playoff tested. Stanley Cup playoffs is a different animal. Ask Marty Turco.

Old
02-12-2008, 12:31 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
who? the over priced Bulin?

I think Murray is smarter than that, strappin himself with 6.7 mill per for the next 3 years. Besides I think Emery is good enough if he stops being a clown ala Allen Iverson and start showing up for practice.....on time.

He has enough talent to get the job done for that team and the expereince even at 25. Who in the east can say they have taken a team to the finals b4 other than Brodeur, Ward and Emery? none Look I amnot saying Emery is the best goalie around but even last year every team from Pitts, Jersey, and deffinetely Buffalo was licking their chops and NEVER got a chance to get to him. Ottawa as a team overwhelmed them all at the other end. It wasn't untill they met their match was Emery realy tested and beaten. IN the first 2 games in Anaheim were Ottawa was TOTALY outplayed, he was easily their best player and kept it a one goal game. That is all mental toughness right there which I like in goalies.

Huet, Thomas....all these guys are just unproven pretenders for now who are older yes but havent proven jack or playoff tested. Stanley Cup playoffs is a different animal. Ask Marty Turco.
I watched the entire Sens playoff run and Emery was not strong at all. He made the initial saves but he gave up so many juicy rebounds it wasn't even funny. I don't think he's the type of goalie that is mentally strong enough to carry a team on his own. If you start annoying him a la Lapierre he'll do an idiot move and slash you in the face. If he meets a team that crashes the crease he'd be done quickly.

Old
02-12-2008, 12:44 AM
4thliner*

Well that is the pt. Personally I think he wasn't bad when called upon BUT no team from the east (and all 3 of his eastern playoff opponents last year where 100+ pts teams to the presidents cup team, MUCH better than anything around this year in the conference). So the question is, considering Ottawa is the same team pretty much and likely only better after the most recent trade, whose going to eliminate Ottawa in the 1st round which was the question I was originally responding to?

I think if Ottawa is healthy, it is almost a given they come out of the east outside of a catastrophic goaltending (again not likely with Emery that is what I meant, average yes, but not that bad) or debilitating injuries ala 2 or alfredsson, spezza, heatley out.