HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Ottawa-Carolina trade a beginning for us?

Old
02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Did the Ducks make a trade last season ? no , and neither Ottawa . But they were both finalists for the Cup .

When you look at it , the seller teams won most of the trades of the last seasons . I prefer to see Gainey as a seller than as a buyer . Sell Ryder , sell Koivu ( there is a rumour that he can be trade to the Ducks , because they want him to play with Selane , for a player and Oiler's 1 st draft choice ). Put Smolinski on the second , and call up Chipchura .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esticallice View Post
Who knows, Ottawa might lose to another team in the 1st or 2nd round, while we match up against teams that we are able to deal with effectively. Who knows.
Who knows, Montreal might win a series against Ottawa.

They've been known to be giant-killers in the past, and Ottawa still has plenty of vulnerable spots.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

For sure Ottawa didn't get younger but I think they strengthened themselves. Also, they didn't part with any really important players. A trade for Marian Hossa, as has been speculated on this board, have a bigger impact. However, it would surely mean giving up players we would prefer to keep, and it's not certain that Hossa would stay. If Gainey could swing a trade comparable to the Ottawa-Carolina deal involving players like Ryder, Bouillon, Smolinski, or Dandenault, that would be fine. Also, I don't think any of players in Hamilton todayis untouchable.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Did the Ducks make a trade last season ? no , and neither Ottawa . But they were both finalists for the Cup .

When you look at it , the seller teams won most of the trades of the last seasons . I prefer to see Gainey as a seller than as a buyer . Sell Ryder , sell Koivu ( there is a rumour that he can be trade to the Ducks , because they want him to play with Selane , for a player and Oiler's 1 st draft choice ). Put Smolinski on the second , and call up Chipchura .
Mike Comrie...

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
HabsoluteFate

i don't think this will change Gainey's strategy. Ottawa was already the "better" of the two teams so there was catching up to do already.

A player with good leadership skills and playoff experience might not be a bad idea...the only catch is he can't be "over the hill"...they need a player that can go into the top 2 lines...

Either that or an impact player ala Hossa

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Should this be merged with the other thread?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Now that Ottawa has found two excellent guys for their playoffs race, do you think Gainey have no choice to make a big deal like that?

I mean, Ottawa is better today than yesterday, so do you think it's a start for Gainey to get this kind of deal???
No. Just another reason why stay the course was always the way to go.

An optimist might find solace in the fact that Ottawa is acquiring 2 UFA's that may very well leave them to return to their southern home come July. Ottawa are seeing their summit and willing to roll the dice somewhat to get there. Might mean hope that we could cross paths with Ottawa as they head down that mountain in the next couple of years.

I would say Gainey's objectives are to make the playoffs, be competetive in 2 rounds, and get on the radar screens of hockey players that can help next year.

Ottawa's goal is to win the entire thing this year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Fozz

Gainey shouldn't make a trade unless it makes the team better beyond this season. I don't want to see him get a rental for this year only... It's simply isn't the time yet. Next year, maybe but not this year.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Stillman since December 1st...15pts in 32 games

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote