HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slapshot

Old
02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Airborne Troll*

vCash: 500
Slapshot

Hi

Im a good hockey street hockey player with awesome hands, awesome speed, decent wrist shot and a decent slap shot

what should I do in order to have a DEADLY slap shot?

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Sensfanman

Best way? Get some ice or a shooting pad and just blast pucks until you get it. It's probably the only way outside of equipment or style change.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Heat McManus

One of the things a lot of people over look is making sure you use the ice to flex the stick. Hit the surface 2-3 inches behind the puck rather than trying to sweep the puck off the ice.

Other things to work on:
- weight transfer
- release speed. A hard slapshot is great, but if it takes you 10 seconds to wind-up then it's slightly pointless.

Bottom line though, practice, practice, practice.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
practice!!!!

im a goalie and i have a pretty decent slap shot..

and it didnt take to much hard work...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Airborne Troll*

Which parts of my body should I train in order to have a deadly shot?

Old
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
you dont have to be super strong to have a good shot... decent strength is enough..

a slapshot is more technique then anything....

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Man View Post
Which parts of my body should I train in order to have a deadly shot?
legs, abs. Getting good twist and weight transfer from your legs and core helps. I have a really good slapshot with a pretty weak upper body.

Old
02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
hockeyfreak95*

Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
become a street hockey player

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
One of the things a lot of people over look is making sure you use the ice to flex the stick. Hit the surface 2-3 inches behind the puck rather than trying to sweep the puck off the ice.
Actually that's false, hitting the puck cleanly makes for a better shot. The hardest shot competition at the All-Star game was an excellent example of this.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Airborne Troll*

Anybody has a video or pictures to help me learn how to do a weight tranfer?

Old
02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Semper Sens

http://hockeyshot.com/shooting12_slap.htm

If you poke around there's also Lecavalier shot workout videos and articles on getting better shots

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Airborne Troll*

thanks a lot

Old
02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
Actually that's false, hitting the puck cleanly makes for a better shot. The hardest shot competition at the All-Star game was an excellent example of this.
That statement in itself is false, it's all about feel. It's peanuts to compare Chara's shot to Pronger's when you're shooting that hard. All about feel, most of all keep your blade closed and follow through the shot.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
You mean the Skills Competition where most of the competitors hit the ice before the puck? Pick up any book on skills, any website and it will say you should hit the ice before the puck on a slapshot.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
vexXed

Add to these the kind of blade you are using. It makes a noticable difference in shot power. I agree that technique is key with proper weight transfer. I also find that using a stick and/or gloves with grip prevents your bottom hand from sliding down while you take the shot, which lessens the power of the shot.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed;12335340[B
]Add to these the kind of blade you are using. It makes a noticable difference in shot power.[/B] I agree that technique is key with proper weight transfer. I also find that using a stick and/or gloves with grip prevents your bottom hand from sliding down while you take the shot, which lessens the power of the shot.
Great point. To expand a bit, a bigger curve cradles the puck as the stick bend, delaying the release point and giving a better whip to the shot. Of course, stickhandling and shooting on your backhand will be more difficult with a bigger curve.

Old
02-04-2008, 12:01 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Great point. To expand a bit, a bigger curve cradles the puck as the stick bend, delaying the release point and giving a better whip to the shot. Of course, stickhandling and shooting on your backhand will be more difficult with a bigger curve.
I'd suggest that it's a better approach to get the technique down before really starting to worry about stuff like that, though.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I'd suggest that it's a better approach to get the technique down before really starting to worry about stuff like that, though.
Absolutely, but it is a part of the equation.

Old
02-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Diamond Joe

Bigger curves also force the puck higher and 95% of the time you lose power as a result. A smaller curve will result generally in a lower shot and a having a more powerful shot.

Old
02-04-2008, 01:24 AM
vexXed

I notice that a lot of the 'pro' curves used by defensemen available by brands are a mid heel, open, and square toe. I tried this out using a 'Morrow' curve (I know he isn't a defenseman but his curve is typical of what D men in the NHL use) and man was my shot better. Problem was though that I couldn't stickhandle with it at all, so I ended up using a 'Sakic'. My shot was still good, and my stickhandling improved, but not well enough. Now I use a 'Datsuk' which is excellent for stickhandling but my shot power has gone down a notch. Still searching for the elusive 'perfect' curve!

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
I notice that a lot of the 'pro' curves used by defensemen available by brands are a mid heel, open, and square toe. I tried this out using a 'Morrow' curve (I know he isn't a defenseman but his curve is typical of what D men in the NHL use) and man was my shot better. Problem was though that I couldn't stickhandle with it at all, so I ended up using a 'Sakic'. My shot was still good, and my stickhandling improved, but not well enough. Now I use a 'Datsuk' which is excellent for stickhandling but my shot power has gone down a notch. Still searching for the elusive 'perfect' curve!
That's true, I use a Forsberg (which is what a Modano was). I've used Sakic and Modano on and off and let me tell you it's hard to get used to the Forsberg after using Sakic for a while, you no longer have to keep your shots down but they're for sure more powerful, although with the Sakic you do get better handling (bc it's a big curve) and a mean wrister.

Old
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
RangersAM99

if you want a good shot hit the weights man!!!!

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:25 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Are you talking about a good slapsot in ice hockey or street hockey? I'd think it makes a difference between hitting a ball and a puck. Pucks are heavier and lower to the ground, so of course you want to hit the ice before the puck building tension and 'whipping' it, as has been mentioned. If you're playing ball hockey though I'd wonder if you aren't just as well off 'smacking' the ball, while only skimming the ground. A ball being lighter and taller your fastest follow through might do just as well as building tension in front of the ball?

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Are you talking about a good slapsot in ice hockey or street hockey? I'd think it makes a difference between hitting a ball and a puck. Pucks are heavier and lower to the ground, so of course you want to hit the ice before the puck building tension and 'whipping' it, as has been mentioned. If you're playing ball hockey though I'd wonder if you aren't just as well off 'smacking' the ball, while only skimming the ground. A ball being lighter and taller your fastest follow through might do just as well as building tension in front of the ball?
Actually works well in that you can use the whip of the stick in ball hockey too...but it will chew the crap out of your stick real fast.

Old
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Actually works well in that you can use the whip of the stick in ball hockey too...but it will chew the crap out of your stick real fast.