HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Da Dick Tarnstrom Thread

Old
02-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 500
Da Dick Tarnstrom Thread

As the newest resident of Bluejacketdom, I think we should give this fellow an official thread, approved by Hawkeye, in which in the up and coming games, we evaluate how he's doing, and what we think of the trade that brought him over. To hold us over till tomorrow's game, let's evaluate his game yesterday. I hope all of you can look past the undeniably stinging loss to the LA Kings, to recall Dick's game.

I watched his game carefully, and definitely noticed there was a new sense of confidence to the defense. In my opinion he'll grow to be a backbone to our defensive corps in the playoff push. He also brings experience, for Kris Russell to see. He made some good passes, took some bad shots. But I look forward to what he brings to our team after Sunday's performance, in which he had not played in quite some time prior to that. Discuss

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Heist

Best of luck to him and the CBJ. Classy guy who's underrated when it comes to defense.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Renion

To be honest, I don't think anyone on the ice knew how to play with him. I remember him looking to make a pass out of the zone, only everyone was standing still and covered. I remember him pinching in during a PP and no one managed to pass the puck to him. Poor guy will learn that the vast majority of the team doesn't move into the offensive zone as a unit (dump + chase, or deflect + chase), and that the defensemen stay on the points during the PP and fire predictable shots one after another.

(I'm a little moody.)

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

How bizarre it must be to switch teams and FORCE yourself to pass to guys in sweaters your brain is telling you "THAT'S NOT YOUR TEAM!" That's probably his biggest adjustment.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
How bizarre it must be to switch teams and FORCE yourself to pass to guys in sweaters your brain is telling you "THAT'S NOT YOUR TEAM!" That's probably his biggest adjustment.
At least the Jerseys are still blue. That's gotta help some.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I shouldn't comment because I don't know Dick.

P.S. Seriously though, I need to see him play a few more games first.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
JacketsIslesFan

He made a comment after the game that he thought this team was very hardworking (I'm paraphrasing). I thought it was interesting to hear that observation from an 'outsider's' perspective. Encouraging, in my opinion, and it seems like Tarnstrom likes it so far and that is good to hear.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Imjustabill

I can hear it now:

Rimmer: "Tarnstrom keeps the puck in the zone; nice feed to Zherdev. Zherdev.... to Nash... AND HE SCORES! AND THAT'S A POWER PLAY GOAL! 2-1, COLUMBUS!"

Gare: "KABOOOM! DICKIE, TO NIKKI, TO RICKY! I LOVE IT!"

Laugh now, but I bet it happens. I might actually pay attention to what they're saying during the PP's just for that opportunity.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Everyone who knows me knows I love Dick(don't tell my gf, she doesn't know who he is)I miss him on the Pens, when we were down, Dick was always up there. He lead the team in scoring and when he wasn't on the ice the fans would chant WE WANT DICK WE WANT DICK. He was truly the highlight of the team that year. I wish the best of luck to him and hopefully he keeps up the good work, he played good with CBJ in the one game I saw.

02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
To be honest, I don't think anyone on the ice knew how to play with him.
I agree with this. When he was out on the power play, there was at least once where he and Hainsey (I think) both tried to enter the zone on the same side. Sort of an "oops" moment, then Tarnstrom switched sides.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
cbjFlash

All of his passes were great. I like how he tried to pinch up and keep the puck in the zone when other defender simple just fall back. Yea its a risk but every time he did it he either won the risk or stalled enough so more people could get back.

I also felt like our team didnt know how to get open for him. He was standing behind the net twice just looking and he was like "*** MATE?"

I also dont think he should be paired with Russel. Neither one of them seem to be very phyiscal and I think they will get walked all over against some bigger lines. Id like to see

Foote - Hedja
Russel - Klelsa
Tarnstorm - Hainsy

cbjFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjFlash View Post
All of his passes were great. I like how he tried to pinch up and keep the puck in the zone when other defender simple just fall back. Yea its a risk but every time he did it he either won the risk or stalled enough so more people could get back.

I also felt like our team didnt know how to get open for him. He was standing behind the net twice just looking and he was like "*** MATE?"

I also dont think he should be paired with Russel. Neither one of them seem to be very phyiscal and I think they will get walked all over against some bigger lines. Id like to see

Foote - Hedja
Russel - Klelsa
Tarnstorm - Hainsy
Welcome to the Boards you have a great name

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:25 PM
BZArcher

His passing and puck moving were really good, but I'd rather see him paired with Klesla or OKT when he gets back - you're right about him needing a physical guy with him on the other side of the ice, Flash.

A friend of mine who has been getting into Hockey this year went to the LA game with me and was amazed by how accurately and cleanly Transtrom was passing the puck around despite it being his first game with the Jackets.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjFlash View Post

Foote - Hedja
Russel - Klelsa
Tarnstorm - Hainsy
I agree with seperating Dick and Russell. When Russ was paired with Duvie, the fact that they are both offensive types was exploited by a lot of opposition forwards. That said, I'd hate to break up Foote-Hejda, which would be necessary to balance out the pairings.

One thing- dude you butchered every defender's name except Foote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Welcome to the Boards you have a great name
So far so good, but he's got some work to do before he can earn Flasher status.

Slasher- did you join that baseball pool again? I just didn't want to at all. I have a money pool with some buddies so I am going to focus on that.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
cbjFlash

Ahh thanks for the welcome, sorry I picked a name so similar to yours Slash.

cbjFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
To be honest, I don't think anyone on the ice knew how to play with him. I remember him looking to make a pass out of the zone, only everyone was standing still and covered. I remember him pinching in during a PP and no one managed to pass the puck to him. Poor guy will learn that the vast majority of the team doesn't move into the offensive zone as a unit (dump + chase, or deflect + chase), and that the defensemen stay on the points during the PP and fire predictable shots one after another.

(I'm a little moody.)
Totally agree here, I'd rather see Dick and Kris play on separate pairings, they play a similar game and aside from the PP, I'd like to see them paired with Klesla, Hainsey or OKT.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Shelley#45

1 game 1 point and still gettting familiar with things, wow an actual offensive d-man that actualy has some offense and not someone we just call that just because he cant play any defense or offense

Said in the paper that OKT passed his concussion tests and Hitch obviously is a big fan of his physical style of play so it would seem he will be dressing next game, who gets scratched since it seems it wont be OKT ?

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley#45 View Post
1 game 1 point and still gettting familiar with things, wow an actual offensive d-man that actualy has some offense and not someone we just call that just because he cant play any defense or offense

Said in the paper that OKT passed his concussion tests and Hitch obviously is a big fan of his physical style of play so it would seem he will be dressing next game, who gets scratched since it seems it wont be OKT ?
well Methot is still up here isn't he? So him, and maybe Russell... Tarnstrom is a much more experienced version of Kris... Then again, this team can't seem to find the net and any help in that department would be much appreciated.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Everyone who knows me knows I love Dick(don't tell my gf, she doesn't know who he is)I miss him on the Pens, when we were down, Dick was always up there. He lead the team in scoring and when he wasn't on the ice the fans would chant WE WANT DICK WE WANT DICK. He was truly the highlight of the team that year. I wish the best of luck to him and hopefully he keeps up the good work, he played good with CBJ in the one game I saw.
For years now Big Dick has missed playing on Mario and Sid's PPlay. I seriously doubt it works the same in reverse.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
belks1922

the jackets need to learn from dick. He knows how to run a real offense. Maybe if we passed and carried the puck into the zone we could produce more. (just a thought)

belks1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
hard to believe that he was a 7th defenceman on my team a couple of weeks ago...

GX is AWSOME!!!!! He has 4 points in 4 games and he's a hitting machine... he's one of the best skaters on the team and he's an awesome forchecker!! Thank you so much!! I just hope Tarny does well for you guys; it sounds like you've got the puck-mover that you need.

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
GX is AWSOME!!!!! He has 4 points in 4 games and he's a hitting machine... he's one of the best skaters on the team and he's an awesome forchecker!! Thank you so much!!
Of course he is. Another CBJ tearing up the ice once he gets out of town.
Seriously, i'm glad he's doing well. I watched him in minors when he played for the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
I just hope Tarny does well for you guys; it sounds like you've got the puck-mover that you need.
In the two games he's played, he's looked good. He has 1-1 so far, both on the PP. He does move the puck well but he also looks better in his own end than I was expecting. He could play himself into an extension if he keeps this up.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
well Methot is still up here isn't he? So him, and maybe Russell... Tarnstrom is a much more experienced version of Kris... Then again, this team can't seem to find the net and any help in that department would be much appreciated.

Columbus Blue Jackets Activate Fredrik Modin Off Injured Reserve; Assign Defenseman Marc Methot to AHL's Syracuse Crunch Blue Jackets Staff | Writer Columbus Blue Jackets Feb 13, 2008, 3:49 PM EST
Modin COLUMBUS, OHIO The Columbus Blue Jackets have activated left wing Fredrik Modin off injured reserve and assigned defenseman Marc Methot to the Syracuse Crunch, Columbus' American Hockey League affiliate, club General Manager Scott Howson announced February 13. Modin is expected to return to the lineup tonight when the Blue Jackets host the Chicago Blackhawks at Nationwide Arena.

From CBJ.com

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

We gave you two defensemen who "when put in the role they excel" are very, very good.

Hejda is even strength & shorthanded; Tarnstrom is even strength & power play. Both have little upside from what you have seen so far - did you really expect a "top 10" defenseman for under $2 million a year.........

And before the question is asked, Edmonton has 5 high potential defensemen under the age of 25 who need ice time to grow so Hejda & Tarnstrom were expendable - give your GM credit for recognizing Edmonton mandates defensive awareness from all their players...

We have no more defensemen to share - but we have a few really, really good youngsters who could be 2nd line forwards if partnered with the right player........... While enjoying Tarnstrom, keep that in mind........

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote