HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist Signs 6 Year Deal with Rangers - $6.875M Per

Old
02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
If we resign Avery, I want him getting 3rd line minutes. He should not be taking 2nd line time away from Dawes or Cally or even Prucha.
Avery >>>>>>>>>> Prucha and Cally

maybe not Dawes, but its not all that far off, Avery has top 6 skills, when Shanny and Straka and Jagr are gone, Avery will be on the 2nd line as he should.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Avery >>>>>>>>>> Prucha and Cally

maybe not Dawes, but its not all that far off, Avery has top 6 skills, when Shanny and Straka and Jagr are gone, Avery will be on the 2nd line as he should.
I would like to believe that, but I think he scores more goals and has a bigger overall effect being on a true 3rd line. JMHO, and I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree on this.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i've had enough of avery and his ********. the trash talk is funny but hardly outweighs the dumb penalties he takes. time to move on.
We need to save as much cash as we can to make a run at two 4-5 million dollar forwards, imo. one of those should be Huselius.
Yea, because the all star teams have worked out so well in the past, c'mon man, we're over that, focus on home grown and role players, Avery is an excellect role player, screw Huselius

Old
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
thank god both sound like they are willing to sign deals for less than what some have projected. 6 years $36 million is a great deal for Hank, i thought he would get tops $7.5. And that's great to hear about Avery, i would say $2-2.25 would be fair for a one year...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
I would like to believe that, but I think he scores more goals and has a bigger overall effect being on a true 3rd line. JMHO, and I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree on this.
fair point

Old
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post

It's ridiculous, isn't it? Avery played more games than anybody in the NHL last year (84), and because he's had a rough season injury-wise, all of a sudden he's chronically injured.
agreed, its pretty laughable right now, chronically injured???? lol, Martin Havlat, now he's the poster boy of chronically injured.

Old
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Yea, because the all star teams have worked out so well in the past, c'mon man, we're over that, focus on home grown and role players, Avery is an excellect role player, screw Huselius
yea not only did the allstar teams worked out so well but what we also need is another non physical forward . matt cooke is a ufa, he is the player sather should target. With Burrows playing well I can see the Nucks letting Cooke walk. Cooke also kills penalties and has speed.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
eco's bones

Avery has not been playing very well lately but he's a player who can play in all situations. When he's on he also can get under another teams' skin like no one else on the team. He's capable all by himself of turning a relatively tame contest into one with a lot of snarl and emotion. That's an intangilbe that nobody else on the team provides maybe with the exception of Hollweg. We tend to win the games Sean heats up. The Rangers no doubt are going to give him a decent pay raise if they're serious about him staying. $2.5 would be probably about what they'd have in mind. For one year--it's not that bad. It's what Malik makes.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Fletch

eco's...

I actually think that Avery does not get under anyone's skin and hurts the team with his antics. When he chooses to go out and play hockey, throw the body around and keep his mouth shut, he is very effective.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Avery has not been playing very well lately but he's a player who can play in all situations. When he's on he also can get under another teams' skin like no one else on the team. He's capable all by himself of turning a relatively tame contest into one with a lot of snarl and emotion. That's an intangilbe that nobody else on the team provides maybe with the exception of Hollweg. We tend to win the games Sean heats up. The Rangers no doubt are going to give him a decent pay raise if they're serious about him staying. $2.5 would be probably about what they'd have in mind. For one year--it's not that bad. It's what Malik makes.
Avery is a third line player. $2.5 mil for a third liner player is too much. Ask Cullen why he isn't here anymore. B/c he was making too much to be a third line player. Avery can easily be replaced, by cheaper talent. he is not that good and I don't trust his yapper w/o Shanny there.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If Sather signs the chronically injured Avery he will be committing a big blunder. Avery's wrists are shot. Let someone else have him and let's move on.
"chronically injured"? This season he's battled injuries. Should we have called Brian Leetch "chronically injured" after the 92-93 season? Avery played a full 84 games last year, 75 the year before and 76 pre-lockout, that's pretty healthy if you ask me.

"Avery's wrists are shot"? Have you had the chance to examine him fully doctor? In the past 4 games he's got 2 goals and an assist. That's 2 goals on 11 shots. Judging by his play, his wrists are just fine. Lets look at some more players over each of their last 4 games.
Over their past 4 games:
Gomez - 1g-2a 15shots
Jagr - 0g-0a 14 shots
Drury - 2g-0a 14 shots
Shanahan 2-0a 14shots
Straka 0g-1a 6shots
Seems like Avery is shooting as often as he should be and scoring a rate that suggests that the shot itself is just fine, something that wouldn't be true if he problems with his wrists.

Quote:
Avery is a multidimensional player and one with great utility. This gives him the flexability to be able to play well on anything from a 3rd - 1st line. This is the very reason why he SHOULD be resigned, he has great value, nevermind the Ranger's record with and without him in the lineup, which is slanted significantly towards the positive with him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I didn't make the diagnosis of two chronic wrists. Some doctor did. If accurate, you let him go.
WRONG! "If accurate" you don't sign him to a long term deal. If the guy performs well on the ice, I don't care if he's got chronic smoker's cough, keep him signed.

Last edited by vipernsx: 02-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
I hope Avery has a huge end-of-the-season along with hopefully playoffs and shuts some of you guys up.

Last season he brought a jolt to our team and saved the fken season, one injury and he's useless i guess....

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
2.5 sounds a bit steep, from the sound of it, and since he is comng off one of his worst seasons, i expect a contractr around the same he had this year....about 2 million

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The sooner they get Lundqvist's contract done, the better. The rumored number for Avery's one-year deal sounds fair too.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
what all star team? we need a legit scoring winger to play with gomez. and what role does avery play exactly? team cancer? bad penalty taker? did i miss anything?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
"chronically injured"? This season he's battled injuries. Should we have called Brian Leetch "chronically injured" after the 92-93 season? Avery played a full 84 games last year, 75 the year before and 76 pre-lockout, that's pretty healthy if you ask me.

"Avery's wrists are shot"? Have you had the chance to examine him fully doctor? In the past 4 games he's got 2 goals and an assist. That's 2 goals on 11 shots. Judging by his play, his wrists are just fine. Lets look at some more players over each of their last 4 games.
Over their past 4 games:
Gomez - 1g-2a 15shots
Jagr - 0g-0a 14 shots
Drury - 2g-0a 14 shots
Shanahan 2-0a 14shots
Straka 0g-1a 6shots
Seems like Avery is shooting as often as he should be and scoring a rate that suggests that the shot itself is just fine, something that wouldn't be true if he problems with his wrists.

Avery is a multidimensional player and one with great utility. This gives him the flexability to be able to play well on anything from a 3rd - 1st line. This is the very reason why he SHOULD be resigned, he has great value, nevermind the Ranger's record with and without him in the lineup, which is slanted significantly towards the positive with him in.

WRONG! "If accurate" you don't sign him to a long term deal. If the guy performs well on the ice, I don't care if he's got chronic smoker's cough, keep him signed.
I said pretty clearly that if the docs sign off on him I have no problem with it. If they don't, then signing him is moronic. I'm not sure why anyone would have even the hint of a problem with what I wrote. If docs said his wrists are only going to degenerate you would offer him millions?

I'm basing my opinion on what the doctor said, but no, I have not done an exam nor am I a doctor. Since you can tell from your seated position that he is fine we should offer him 5 million per so we don't risk losing him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
I hope Avery has a huge end-of-the-season along with hopefully playoffs and shuts some of you guys up.

Last season he brought a jolt to our team and saved the fken season, one injury and he's useless i guess....
but its not just injuries... he is making a butload of mental errors that end up in our net or good scoring chances. He is making more errors than most people on the team.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post

LAST year..key words there...LAST YEAR.

He was brought in LAST YEAR to boost LAST YEAR'S team.

THIS YEAR he has been in and out of the lineup. He takes stupid penalties at un-opportune times, and is no more then a 3rd liner.

Avery getting top 6 money and top 6 time is lunacy.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
TheHotRock

he's worn out his welcome, you could even see his uselessness in the buffalo series last year when that team wasn't having any of his ****.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Crease

On a Stanley Cup winner, a player with Avery's skills is on the third line. He's on our first. I'm not saying Avery isn't talented because he is, but if he's to do what he does best, he can't be looking to playmake for Jagr and Co.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:25 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
he's worn out his welcome, you could even see his uselessness in the buffalo series last year when that team wasn't having any of his ****.
So far he's brought much more to the team then he's taken away, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Yes he's had a few stinkers this season, but he's been injured basically the whole time.

I wouldn't mind him for another year. Who's to say he won't grow up a bit too

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
mstraka82

Aves will grow up when someone knocks him soon

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
but its not just injuries... he is making a butload of mental errors that end up in our net or good scoring chances. He is making more errors than most people on the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
LAST year..key words there...LAST YEAR.

He was brought in LAST YEAR to boost LAST YEAR'S team.

THIS YEAR he has been in and out of the lineup. He takes stupid penalties at un-opportune times, and is no more then a 3rd liner.

Avery getting top 6 money and top 6 time is lunacy.
he does need to improve his decision making i agree. But i would still rather have him re-sign and play as a 3rd liner. He does have 3 pts (2 G's) in 4 games and was a presence @ Philly.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

Who has Avery worn out his welcome with? Still one of the only players to have his name chanted at the Garden with regularity.

This guy belongs here in NY!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I actually think that Avery does not get under anyone's skin and hurts the team with his antics. When he chooses to go out and play hockey, throw the body around and keep his mouth shut, he is very effective.

Fletch--if Sather is truly talking to Avery at this point--I have to think it's not to give him a pay cut. I don't necessarily agree with you--at least some of the time his antics have paid off. There have been some disappointing times--particularly the Buffalo series. As for this season--the injuries are part of the problem--the complete line discombobulation is also a factor. What forward has really played well over the bulk of the season besides Gomez? It's true that Dubinsky, Dawes and Drury have been coming on as of late but Jagr, Shanny and even Straka are also struggling.

I'm really waiting to see if this team can pull off a playoff spot. I'm not too sure it can. To me for the veteran core all bets are off if it doesn't--it might be time to strike off in a different direction then--cutting loose at least the majority of them. There are also a number of younger guys who have had more than a fair chance to prove themselves--thinking particularly of Hossa, but maybe even Prucha who is one of my favorite players.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote