HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

"Proposal" Ottawa picks up Bondra...

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
"Proposal" Ottawa picks up Bondra...

Well, let me just say this. This is a proposal. In other words, I have no link that this deal is done, nor forthcoming. But read into this as you might a rumour if you like.. this could be done today:

To Ottawa: Petr Bondra
To Washington: Petr Schtaslivy & a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Peter Griffin

That's the same proposal that has been going around the last few days. It's also the same proposal that apparently Washington is trying to get other teams that are interested to "better". Pretty weak proposal...

Old
01-27-2004, 06:18 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Well, let me just say this. This is a proposal. In other words, I have no link that this deal is done, nor forthcoming. But read into this as you might a rumour if you like.. this could be done today:

Senators fans are waiting for this deal to go down - I think it makes sense for both teams - I have stated there are other players that I would prefer the Senators to get to fill the left wing void (O'Neill, Smyth) but given Muckler doesn't want to give up anybody from the current roster I think it would be a good deal for the Senators. Bondra would look great on the Sens powerplay.

Mizral - where are you hearing that this could be done today?

Old
01-27-2004, 06:31 PM
oilmanjohnny

Either you have the same info as I do...or you got this from my oilfans.com post earlier today. But basically I've heard the same thing from my sources close to the Sens. Could already be a done deal. We'll wait and see.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:32 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Make it So! Make it So!

Old
01-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjohnny
Either you have the same info as I do...or you got this from my oilfans.com post earlier today. But basically I've heard the same thing from my sources close to the Sens. Could already be a done deal. We'll wait and see.
I did read your post, in fact, and was pretty surprised you had the same information as me. Did you post yours before?

At any rate, as I'm sure you can't - I can't say my source. That's the problem with posting rumours! Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see if the deal does in fact go through.

I had heard a Bondra rumour from this source a while ago, but it didn't seem as concrete as this one.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Make it So! Make it So!
I'll be honest, I'm puzzled as to why the Sens want him. Do they really need to score more goals? It seems to me that the Sens issues this season have been, if anything, physical players at forward (with Varada gone, I only count a handful of physical guys), and goaltending (off and on, it's been a problem, though I suspect it'll be worked out before the playoffs begin).

I guess it certainly couldn't hurt at least.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:44 PM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
I'll be honest, I'm puzzled as to why the Sens want him. Do they really need to score more goals? It seems to me that the Sens issues this season have been, if anything, physical players at forward (with Varada gone, I only count a handful of physical guys), and goaltending (off and on, it's been a problem, though I suspect it'll be worked out before the playoffs begin).

I guess it certainly couldn't hurt at least.
Here's a summary of the reasons
- It's harder to score in the playoffs than the regular season, any additional punch will be most helpful
- We need somebody to play the point on the 2nd power play
- Bondra kills penalties, and is a shorthanded threat
- We badly need a left winger

I don't agree that physical players are needed. I do agree that the goaltending situation is a question mark, however, I have no reason to believe that this team will do anything but sink or swim with Lalime.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:48 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Here's a summary of the reasons
- It's harder to score in the playoffs than the regular season, any additional punch will be most helpful
- We need somebody to play the point on the 2nd power play
- Bondra kills penalties, and is a shorthanded threat
- We badly need a left winger

I don't agree that physical players are needed. I do agree that the goaltending situation is a question mark, however, I have no reason to believe that this team will do anything but sink or swim with Lalime.
At first I didn't understand why the Sens wanted Bondra either - IMO the Sens have always needed a top 2 line forward (LW) who will get his nose dirty, go to the net, go in the corners etc...but have enough skill and skating ability to play on either Hossa's line or Alfredsson's line. However, the point about the power play point man is definitely a valid point and the fact Bondra kills penalites is good too.

I still think Muckler will add (ie. a physical 4/5 defenceman) one or two more players even if this Bondra "proposal" comes to fruition.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Mizral

Bondra kills penalties, but the Caps have a treadful PK.

Bondra is a pretty 1-way player, He's a big minus for a reason, and part of the reason the Caps are so bad defensivly. He's a tremendous goal scorer, but he's terrible in his own zone, there is no doubt about it.

Old
01-27-2004, 06:57 PM
V for Voodoo

Quote:

Bondra is a pretty 1-way player, He's a big minus for a reason, and part of the reason the Caps are so bad defensivly. He's a tremendous goal scorer, but he's terrible in his own zone, there is no doubt about it.
Most caps fans that have been posting in Bondra threads the past week seem to disagree with that.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
discostu

Quote:

Agreed

If this deal goes down, I see Bondra serving as a purely offensive role.

As for the deal itself, I love it. Schastlivy has been a big disappointment this year, and getting the upgrade from Schastlivy to Bondra is worth the draft pick we'd have to give up.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Galiza_Rules

In nhl.com says that the trade is accepted for both sides but WSH is waiting for a better offer, if it don't comes, bondra to sens.

I posted this another time but how about Fedotenko, Leclerc, Drake or i think the best option Morrow (the most expensive too). Can SCHASTLIVY and a 1st land Morrow in Ott? And adding Pothier/Vermette?

Old
01-27-2004, 07:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Would Pothier instead of the pick work?

Old
01-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galiza_Rules
In nhl.com says that the trade is accepted for both sides but WSH is waiting for a better offer, if it don't comes, bondra to sens.

I posted this another time but how about Fedotenko, Leclerc, Drake or i think the best option Morrow (the most expensive too). Can SCHASTLIVY and a 1st land Morrow in Ott? And adding Pothier/Vermette?
From a Stars fan, I'd say no to that.....I really dont see any way Armstrong trades Morrow, unless there is someone like Kovalchuk coming the other way. His value is that high to the Stars.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincargo
Would Pothier instead of the pick work?
All too gladly.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Mothra

Quote:

That is one of the biggest overstatements this board has ever seen.......

terrible....????

I'm sorry, but you are soooo off here

BTW.....not that it makes him some great 2 way player......but he is the Caps all time leader in short handed goals.....they have had some fine PK units over the years...and for someone to be the career leader in shorties.....you would have to assume he logged a lot of PK time over those years....and on good units......but now, when the PK sucks...he too must suck.....yea, that makes sense

Old
01-27-2004, 07:11 PM
HF2002

I've thought about this as well, and it seems to me that there's a chance that this is a deal they make before they make another big trade.

Bondra would give them a solid LWer, but that then only gives Ottawa 1 of 2 top LWers. Trading for Bondra allows them to then turn around and deal Havlat for another LWer(ie Smyth). These guys are just examples, but it frees up the RW so that you don't have to worry about how to give Alfie, Hossa and Havlat decent playing time. So possibly Ottawa could trade Havlat and the lines then look something like this"

Bondra Bonk Hossa
Smolinski White Alfie
Smyth Spezza Vermette
Schaefer Fisher Neil

And then you get 2 incredible PP's:

Hossa Bonk Smyth
Alfie Redden

White Spezza Smolinski
Bondra Chara

Obviously you can play around with line combos, but you get the idea. Trading Havlat for Smyth or O'Neill is a deal that I'd be satisfied with. I don't want to get rid of Havlat, but this is a scenario where by you give something to get something.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Calorissi

I also hope that this deal goes down as written.
Since Bondra can play LW, does that also mean that he mans the left point on the powerplay?

That would leave our powerplay units as:
1a. Vermette Bonk Hossa
1a. Redden - Alfredson
1b. Smoke Spezza Havlat
1b. Bondra - Chara

Our regular lines would then be:
Bondra White Alfredson
Vermette Bonk Hossa
Smoke Spezza Havlat
Schaffer Van Allen/Fisher Neil

I agree with the reasons for wanting Bondra:
More scorring in the playoffs is never a bad thing
More veteran leadership on what it takes to score in the playoffs
More punch for the powerplay
Another sniper for our passers

I also do not believe this will be Muckler's only move.
With the uncertainty of next year, there will be more trade deadline moves than we are used to seeing. Ottawa will be a force at or before the deadline.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Bondra is strictly right point on the Power Play with the left Handed shot...I mean he can play the left...but it's not his strong point.

I wouldnt mind the 1st rounder...but if Muckler is only willing to deal a 2nd...Id be fine with Pothier.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

latest from Spectors

OTTAWA SUN: Chris Stevenson reports Senators GM John Muckler is still awaiting word from the Washington Capitals regarding his offer for winger Peter Bondra, but it seems he's going to have some company. Stevenson quotes a source claiming the Caps are shopping Bondra around the league and as many as six clubs may be interested, including the Devils and Maple Leafs.

Spector's Note: Given the Sens supposed offer of underachieving winger Petr Schastlivy and a first or second round pick in 2005, can anyone blame the Caps for wanting to shop around for a better offer?

If we're moving Bondra, I'd love to see a bidding war.!

Old
01-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
If we're moving Bondra, I'd love to see a bidding war.!

The Caps likely will if they want a little longer. I suspect more teams will be interested closer to the deadline and will be willing to offer a bit more to get Bondra.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:37 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The Caps likely will if they want a little longer. I suspect more teams will be interested closer to the deadline and will be willing to offer a bit more to get Bondra.
I'm just curious...aren't the Capitals moving these players to save money and reduce Leonsis's loss for this year? If so, waiting to move Bondra until the trade deadline would cost an additional $1 million or so, so perhaps Bondra will be moved sooner rather than later. I think Kolzig will be moved soon as well...

Just my opinion...

Old
01-27-2004, 07:38 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
From a Stars fan, I'd say no to that.....I really dont see any way Armstrong trades Morrow, unless there is someone like Kovalchuk coming the other way. His value is that high to the Stars.
Morrow...Kovalchuk...HUH???

I know Morrow means alot to the Stars...but...GET REAL!

Old
01-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
I'm just curious...aren't the Capitals moving these players to save money and reduce Leonsis's loss for this year? If so, waiting to move Bondra until the trade deadline would cost an additional $1 million or so, so perhaps Bondra will be moved sooner rather than later. I think Kolzig will be moved soon as well...

Just my opinion...
Bondra is in a different situation though. They want to keep him, they want him on the team next season. But they also want to give him a chance to win a cup this year, and the re-sign him in the off-season. By trading him now at the deadline, they could get some nice, young assets to help with the re-building process. Trading him today or a month and a half from now isn't going to make too much of a difference salarywise, but if they get more in return a month from now, it would be worth it.

Closed Thread