HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bettman: Owners don't want hard cap

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
Bettman: Owners don't want hard cap

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69904

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says owners are not seeking a hard salary cap in collective bargaining talks with the NHL Players Association.

In an interview with TSN's Dave Hodge, Bettman says the league wants a system where the players get their fair share and provides franchise stability.

"We've never proposed an individual hard team salary cap," says Bettman.

"We want to negotiate with the union over what is the fair share of the leagues revenues to go to the players. And by fair share, I mean a system that works so the franchises are stable, ticket prices are affordable and the players are being paid fairly under the circumstances."

Bettman says that the league wants to avoid a lockout this fall, adding there is still enough time to work out a new deal before it ever gets to that.

"Everybody covering the game knows what the problems are. The fans know what the problems are. And I believe deep inside, whether or not they choose to acknowledge it, the union knows what the problems are. The problems have to be addressed. The cost to the game of continuing like this would be greater than anything else. If we fix it, all will be well."

The NHL is hoping to resume negotations with the NHLPA on a new agreement at next month's All-Star Game in Minneapolis.

This really sucks, why are they backtracking? Was it never a realistic option anyways? What does this mean for the Oilers and their stability? It scares me since the ownership group has said repeatedly that they are tired of losing money and will pull out if no changes are made!

Old
01-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Allan

There's a big difference between not having proposed a hard cap and not wanting one. I'm sure they'd take it if they thought they had any chance of getting it.

Anyway, I'm just here to post the link to the Business board, where there's already a thread on this topic.

The other thread.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:10 AM
Boondock Saint

Not getting a hard cap doesn't necessarily mean doom for the Oil. For example, revenue sharing and a soft cap could still make it feasible for the Oilers to compete.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:51 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan

This really sucks, why are they backtracking? Was it never a realistic option anyways? What does this mean for the Oilers and their stability? It scares me since the ownership group has said repeatedly that they are tired of losing money and will pull out if no changes are made!
VERY glad to see the owners don't want a hard cap. Not only is it an unrealistic option, it's not in the best interests of the sport. A soft cap with luxury tax and revenue sharing is the only way to go. A hard cap, I would argue, would even go to the point of hampering a team like the Oilers, once they built up an excellent team.

Old
01-29-2004, 02:18 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
VERY glad to see the owners don't want a hard cap. Not only is it an unrealistic option, it's not in the best interests of the sport. A soft cap with luxury tax and revenue sharing is the only way to go. A hard cap, I would argue, would even go to the point of hampering a team like the Oilers, once they built up an excellent team.
I agree. While no restrictions are bad for us, a hard cap goes too far. If you look at the Senators (hopefully we'll someday be there), they are in a positipon where if a salary cap was initiated they would actually be hurt by it. The NBA is what we should follow, the NFL is not. In the NFL, it's becoming all about the coaches rather than the players, and that's unacceptable.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:27 AM
jadeddog

couldnt agree more... they were never gonna get a hard-cap, so why dig in your heels about it? that and a hard-cap isnt the best answer anyhow, as mentioned above

Old
01-30-2004, 04:44 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
couldnt agree more... they were never gonna get a hard-cap, so why dig in your heels about it? that and a hard-cap isnt the best answer anyhow, as mentioned above
Hard Cap= average of 3 goals scored per game, and no repeat champions.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Yanner39

On the subject of the CBA, Bou-Bou Garioch of the Ottawa Sun had an article where he talk about William Guerin of the Dallas Stars.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040129/col_garrioch-sun.html

Guerin is vice-president on the union. Guerin says the union is ready for a lockout and the players have been preped etc...Last week in Le Journal de Montreal, Georges Laraque and Stéphane Quintal were quoted as saying that alot of players don't want a long strike or lockout because of the adverse consequences. Some players close to retirement will lose there jobs after a long workstoppage. Sorry, no link for this.

Anyways, in the past, there has always been dissention among the owners but if they can stick together on this one, they may get the CBA they want.

I think there will be a workstoppage and if it's a long one, players could have to deal with less employers when they come back. If the league stops for say 2 or 3 years, I'm speculating that markets with a struggling fan base will lose their teams.

On the subject of the NFL system, I think it's not that bad. I mean, they share revenues, there is cost certainty and underachieving employees can get the axe when they don't perform. I get the drawbacks that some of you have listed, but I think the benefits outweigh the costs. I like the fact that a small, small market like Green Bay can compete for the title like New York.

Just my 2 cents of the subject.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
I believe as a group we're solid and we're ready to do what is right.
How long can they keep up this charade? How come they just can't see the sense of the fact the NHL needs a new system to survive? I don't our team to leave our city just because he wants $9,000,000!

The dream of playing in the NHL has turned into a dream of becoming a rich millionaire instead of winning the Stanley Cup. No wonder nobody wants to play in Edmonton, because they're not going to get that kind of money here!

Bob Goodenow has repeatedly stated the players are paid so much because thats what the market decided, but he can't use that for an excuse for much longer because "the market" (the fans) are unhappy with the NHL.

The owners said the league will $300 million this year, but those numbers are inflated, according to the NHLPA of course. Actually maybe they are inflated, but still, thats too much money. The Flames lost $7,000,000 last season did they not? The Oilers despite selling out almost every home game just over $200,000! The current CBA is not working! Dallas has one the highest payrolls and they are on a decline, it's not working! Washington will lose tens of millions this year, so will St. Louis! Edmonton still sold out all but four games this year, and will likely sell out the rest, and they'll still lose money!

Why doesn't the NHLPA get it? I bet they do understand that the CBA needs to change, but they would never concede it! At the same time, this is Bettman's mess isn't it?

BTW thanks for the article Dr. It was a great read to see the side of the NHLPA, delusional as they are.

Old
01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
CanmoreMike

They don't see the sense in a new system because the owner's themselves don't feel obliged to changing their ways. Nobody cocks guns and puts them to the heads of owners when guys like Bobby Holik and Bill Guerin become free agents. All an owner has to do is look at his revenue streams, determine if they can afford said free agent and ultimately decide whether in the long term they can make money on the investment they make. These guys are freaking billionaires, I think they know how to make money a little bit better than you and I!

As far as sky rocketing ticket prices, consider Edmonton last spring. Every ding-dong with a playoff ticket was jacking it up for ridiculous prices. Nobody put any gun to the guy who bought these tickets - for certain he was aware he could watch the game for free at home on CBC. Yet there were people spending hundreds of dollars for the 'bleeds - why? Because they had the money and figured it was worth their investment.

Same with the owners.

As far as how much these guys actually lose - that's another story into itself. Considering that when the Coyotes openned their new digs it was mentioned that they weren't in the business of selling hockey tickets. The arena was going to serve as a means to develop an area and sell that area, making money off of it. Should Coyote players' consider their financial impact ONLY at the ticket wickets? Shouldn't they think that since condos and shops are going up all because they have an arena that attracts people, an arena that will be even more busy the better the team plays, they should get their cut? Owners like to hide this money. Conveniently it disappears in another business that "has nothing to do with hockey." They'll even license out their concessions to an outside bidder for a flat rate. Only the outside bidder happens to be another member of their corporate family.

People - if you really hate this crap STOP WATCHING!!!!! It is really that simple.

Oh, and as far as losing the Oilers - they'd be gone by now if there was a tangible market to play in. In the last 10 years there has been an addition of 9 teams and 3 relocations. Of the 9 teams, I'd say only San Jose (with it's tech geeks and their infinite wealth), Ottawa (because it is "oh Canada"), Minnesota (never should have left), and maybe Columbus. The rest of the markets are absolute duds. Of the relocations, I'd say it's safe to say that Colorado was a good choice and both Dallas and Carolina are crap markets. Name me some slam dunk markets in the US that the Oilers couldn't say no to and I'd say either your lying or there are enough other teams who might move there that there is no motivation for this said market to make this attractive for the NHL. If Portland was viable someone would be there. San Diego. Salt Lake City. Seattle. Houston. Kansas City. New Orleans. Las Vegas. The list goes on. None of them are done deals and none can guarantee the fan base that a Canadian city can.

People - don't be dupes. I like the game, but I'm no dupe.

Closed Thread