HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Yoga

Old
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Raoul Duke*

vCash: 500
Yoga

Has anyone done any and played hockey? I'm seriously considering trying a few classes out, the more relaxed muscles and limber that can come from it should be beneficial I would think. Along with learning different breathing techniques?

I don't know, just crossed my mind and now I'm curious if anyone has done it and saw any improvement to their game in the long run?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Nope ... I have testicles.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
It takes more testicles to try something like that than it does to ridicule someone.

If you think it can help, it probably will. It appears that yoga works to improve both strength and flexibility, seems to be ideal.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
A lady at work gives a yoga class once a week after work, I started trying it out a while back to help my martial arts. It really is a great work out, of a much different sort. I doubt it'll work as well as going to the gym for strength, but for flexibility, which leads to durability, it's great. If your at risk for pulling a groin or something playing hockey then yoga's probably a great idea.

And for lacking testicles, you know how many nice looking chicks do yoga?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
You might want to check just to be sure.

I took a 4-class beginner program with my wife. I think it helped me a lot since I use a few of the poses for pregame stretches. It increases your body awareness so just being aware of my lower back, how tight it is, how and when to stretch it out, etc. has been very helpful.

Jim "Have another donut, ya fat pig" Schoenfeld is now coaching the Hartford Wolfpack (AHL) and has started his team on a yoga program to increase their balance and core strength. Also Bruins goalie Tim Thomas started doing yoga in the offseason and he says it's helped him considerably.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I tried some video called Pilates for Men, by the end of the workout (it's like 30 minutes) I wanted to die. I did it a few times, but then after a while I stopped. If you want something more uptempo than Yoga that'll work your core and make you more flexible go with Pilates.

I'd rather spend my free time at this point on strength training and cardio though.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 11:08 AM
stick9

Yoga was a big part of Tim Thomas s' off-season workout. Seems to be working out pretty well for him.

I think the reason why so many woman study yoga is because it offers a pretty good full body workout without pumping iron or the impact of aerobics. Which doesn't really make it a chick thing.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Greeneye

I am the only guy in my yoga class. I love it, I always feel so much better after class.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Raoul Duke*

Yeah for sure, that'll be another bonus.

I'm not looking to take away from going to the gym, which I still do but more adding another dimension to it all. I mean I'm 25 years old and each year it seems like I'm cramping up something or pulling more muscles than the previous seasons. Strength training, building speed and all that, it's more for personal gain. I'm not looking to turn pro or anything - just thinking it could only help the longetivity I have playing. I want to be one of those old 70 year old beer league ******** one day.

If nothing else, it can't hurt to try.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
I'm not looking to take away from going to the gym, which I still do but more adding another dimension to it all. I mean I'm 25 years old and each year it seems like I'm cramping up something or pulling more muscles than the previous seasons. Strength training, building speed and all that, it's more for personal gain. I'm not looking to turn pro or anything - just thinking it could only help the longetivity I have playing. I want to be one of those old 70 year old beer league ******** one day.
As you add muscle you can become a lot more inflexible unless you make it a point to stretch regularly. Also, you're adding more weight -- work your upper body and that's more work for your core muscles to support and balance it. These are key reasons why pilates and yoga are so valuable. Aside from that, the better your balance the easier it is to change directions quickly without falling over.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
nni

dipietro does yoga.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
As for NHL'ers doing Yoga, I believe the Canucks training staff has the entire team doing it.

Just a note though that rash of groin injuries at the start of the season came from training camp in Victoria, where they were apparently on some brutal ice.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
A lot of teams do Yoga.

I know that when I was training on a National team we had to do it to increase our core stregnth and our flexibilty.