HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter gets free ride on this board...

Old
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
No offense taken. I agree about the Briere comments. It's hard for the guy to develop any sort of chemistry with anyone when 13 different players have been used with him. That's why I'm all for a deal to acquire someone like Miro Satan. I think he'd be a perfect fit on Briere's wing.

I'm more than willing to give Briere the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he's slowing down or anything like that. I still think he's putting up very good numbers when you consider that he's really in no man's land in terms of linemates. I think more important than acquiring a solid defenseman is to acquire linemates for Briere. You just don't sink that kind of money into a player and then let him languish in mediocrity.
Briere's problem is less to do with linemates and more to do with this teams inability to get the puck into the offensive zone... therefore a defenseman would help a bit more, IMO. It isn't like he was playing with All-Stars in Buffalo. However, I don't think a defenseman even fixes that problem entirely... a very good puck-mover like Timonen has struggled within this scheme, which suggests to me either Stevens needs to adjust to help the situation, or someone else needs to be brought in.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
No offense taken. I agree about the Briere comments. It's hard for the guy to develop any sort of chemistry with anyone when 13 different players have been used with him. That's why I'm all for a deal to acquire someone like Miro Satan. I think he'd be a perfect fit on Briere's wing.

I'm more than willing to give Briere the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he's slowing down or anything like that. I still think he's putting up very good numbers when you consider that he's really in no man's land in terms of linemates. I think more important than acquiring a solid defenseman is to acquire linemates for Briere. You just don't sink that kind of money into a player and then let him languish in mediocrity.
I think we have potential linemates here for him, they just either havent been given much of a chance, keep getting hurt or both. (Gagne, Lupul, Upshall)

I think Giroux, and down the road Nodl, could bothwork well with him.

He worked well in Buffalo with Pominville and Hecht. On this team to me, that would be Giroux (Pominville) and Hartnell, which is what we saw last night, but it obviously isnt going to work in one shot.

I think a line of Gagne Briere Giroux would be amazing.....I would just worry about real physical defenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Briere's problem is less to do with linemates and more to do with this teams inability to get the puck into the offensive zone... therefore a defenseman would help a bit more, IMO. It isn't like he was playing with All-Stars in Buffalo. However, I don't think a defenseman even fixes that problem entirely... a very good puck-mover like Timonen has struggled within this scheme, which suggests to me either Stevens needs to adjust to help the situation, or someone else needs to be brought in.
I agree that the defense and style are the bigger issue.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote