HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs/Bruins Rivalry

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 07:39 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

vCash: 500
Habs/Bruins Rivalry

Anyone else hating the fact that the B's and Habs have played only one playoff series in the last 10 years? Sure both teams have missed the playoffs quite a bit since 1995. But it looks like both MTL and BOS could make the postseason in 2004 but they have little or no chance of facing each other *again*. Don't you think it was better when they would have to play each other within the first two rounds--like in the Adams division format? The current NHL has all but taken rivalries off the ice. Sure the fans have long memories but by the time the B's/Habs meet up in the playoffs again there's a good chance that a lot of the players and bad feelings of 2002 will have moved on. What can be done about this?

Old
01-29-2004, 08:09 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1
Anyone else hating the fact that the B's and Habs have played only one playoff series in the last 10 years? Sure both teams have missed the playoffs quite a bit since 1995. But it looks like both MTL and BOS could make the postseason in 2004 but they have little or no chance of facing each other *again*. Don't you think it was better when they would have to play each other within the first two rounds--like in the Adams division format? The current NHL has all but taken rivalries off the ice. Sure the fans have long memories but by the time the B's/Habs meet up in the playoffs again there's a good chance that a lot of the players and bad feelings of 2002 will have moved on. What can be done about this?
i loved the division format, it is a shame that we do not have it anymore.
stupid expansion to cities that don't even care about the game

Old
01-29-2004, 11:14 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
i loved the division format, it is a shame that we do not have it anymore.
stupid expansion to cities that don't even care about the game
true dat flo, car, and nash to name a few i mean wtf were they thinking!

Old
01-30-2004, 05:11 AM
hosehead

Its true that the B's & Habs rivalry just isn't the same -- thinking back to those playoffs rounds made me think of something , does anyone remember that Marius Czerkawski made his debut for the Bruins in a playoff series for against the Habs. I remember the commentators mentioning that he was dominant in Europe & could really be a secret weapon for the Bruins -- but the HABS WON!!

Seriously, I remember watching those series as a kid & I really felt like the outcome was life & death. Always worried that maybe just maybe the Bruins had something extra that would help them beat the Habs but Carbo, Gainey , Mcphee, Naslund etc always came thru.!!!

Old
01-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
Thinking back to those playoffs rounds made me think of something, does anyone remember that Marius Czerkawski made his debut for the Bruins in a playoff series for against the Habs. I remember the commentators mentioning that he was dominant in Europe & could really be a secret weapon for the Bruins -- but the HABS WON!!
Not true. Czerkawski made his Bruins debut in 1994, and in their first round playoff series that year, the Bruins beat Montreal by a score of 5-3 in Game Seven. I believe the immortal Freddie Knipscheer scored the series-winning goal.

Quote:
Always worried that maybe just maybe the Bruins had something extra that would help them beat the Habs but Carbo, Gainey, Mcphee, Naslund etc always came thru!!!
What? Is there a selective memory problem in Quebec that I'm unaware of?

Old
01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
Not true. Czerkawski made his Bruins debut in 1994, and in their first round playoff series that year, the Bruins beat Montreal by a score of 5-3 in Game Seven. I believe the immortal Freddie Knipscheer scored the series-winning goal.

I don't see the needs of generalizing like that.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:55 PM
mcphee

Quote:

94 was Roy's appendix series wasn't it ? Didn't Neely win that series with a shot from centre ice ?

Old
01-30-2004, 07:49 PM
hosehead

Quote:

Oh well, my bad !! Point being the Habs won most of the time. Jeez wander into the Habs board & this is the best you can come up with ?? How about the 70's , like even Denis Leary admits -- the Bruins kept sending out a bunch of guys who skated like they had cement on their skates & figured they could keep up with Lafleur etc.

BTW, I'm not even a Quebecer so you missed the boat totally with your generalization. Unless you're halfway amusing like Johnny V don't even bother.

Old
01-30-2004, 08:19 PM
smnhppu

Bring back the old Adams division

Old
01-30-2004, 09:49 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
Oh well, my bad !! Point being the Habs won most of the time. Jeez wander into the Habs board & this is the best you can come up with ?? How about the 70's , like even Denis Leary admits -- the Bruins kept sending out a bunch of guys who skated like they had cement on their skates & figured they could keep up with Lafleur etc.

BTW, I'm not even a Quebecer so you missed the boat totally with your generalization. Unless you're halfway amusing like Johnny V don't even bother.

Hey hosehead your name makes me tingle...

Those were the years my hosehead, my favorite was the late great BUNNY LAROCQUE.

This molsen is for you,GREAT ONE. VIVA LA BUNNY LAROCQUE & HIS 4 VEZINA TROPHY.

Last edited by JOHNNY V: 01-31-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old
01-30-2004, 11:03 PM
mcphee

The best commentary I've seen on the rivalry was in Larry Robinson's book. His point was that they respected the Bruins because the two teams fought for every advantage and that you couldn't be a great team without a great opponent. For him the Nordique rivalry wasn't the same because it was influenced from the outside, the Flyers of that era while a fine team, played a style that he felt denigrated the game [his book Flyer fans, not mine]. The Bruins were The rivalry. He cited players like O'Reilly who would take a bullet to make a play.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:21 PM
JOHNNY V

Habs Vs Bruins

Where the hell is the rivalry, you HABS FANS are like a group of cold fish, let get the puck rolling.

VIVA LA VACHON CAKES.

GO BRUINS GO

Old
01-31-2004, 12:32 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habz4Life
The Habs and B's rivalry is dead. I live 3hrs from Boston and 3hrs from Montreal, in Berlin, NH. It was quite a rivalry, best in hockey. Its dead(wouldnt take much to revive it though.)

Too Bad it dead, We had the best games.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:41 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
The best commentary I've seen on the rivalry was in Larry Robinson's book. His point was that they respected the Bruins because the two teams fought for every advantage and that you couldn't be a great team without a great opponent. For him the Nordique rivalry wasn't the same because it was influenced from the outside, the Flyers of that era while a fine team, played a style that he felt denigrated the game [his book Flyer fans, not mine]. The Bruins were The rivalry. He cited players like O'Reilly who would take a bullet to make a play.
The rivalry is like a cold dead fish, el buca la..

Old
01-31-2004, 01:33 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Come on... We have a struggled to make the playoffs for the last few years. We couldn't afford a freaking rivalry, because we had to win every night. Now, things have changed somewhat, as Boston and Montreal are now fighting for the same spots. I think the reminder of the season will be a good one for both teams. Plus, since we both have nice young players (Boynton, Raycroft, Bergeron, etc... Top of my head, sorry... ), I think this rivalry will get back to it's glory years.

Anyhow, whatever happens, I'll always think highly of you, Johnny

Old
01-31-2004, 01:52 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Come on... We have a struggled to make the playoffs for the last few years. We couldn't afford a freaking rivalry, because we had to win every night. Now, things have changed somewhat, as Boston and Montreal are now fighting for the same spots. I think the reminder of the season will be a good one for both teams. Plus, since we both have nice young players (Boynton, Raycroft, Bergeron, etc... Top of my head, sorry... ), I think this rivalry will get back to it's glory years.

Anyhow, whatever happens, I'll always think highly of you, Johnny

same here DUTCHY, your one of the classiest HAB poster around.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:53 PM
electric

Well, there's still somewhat of a rivalry... but the Cam Neely VS Mike McPhee and John Kordic VS Jay Miller days are way behind us.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Maybe we could send Doull out to cause a little stir to get the old rivalry going again! Come on, Habs fans, we have to think of SOMETHING to keep this rival going strong.

By the way, what happened to Koivu? Is he ok? I noticed he hasn't played many games this season, hope he is doing well.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:01 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
Well, there's still somewhat of a rivalry... but the Cam Neely VS Mike McPhee and John Kordic VS Jay Miller days are way behind us.

Kordic vs Miller & Byers Great battles, that Kordic was one tuff sob..

Old
01-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

I remember one Ken Dryden making Bruins fans cry one particular season........ one of the greatest goalies in history, in my opinion.

LaFleur was awesome as well. If I had to pick a favorite Hab (this is killing me, being a Boston fan ), it would be him.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:08 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
I remember one Ken Dryden making Bruins fans cry one particular season........ one of the greatest goalies in history, in my opinion.

LaFleur was awesome as well. If I had to pick a favorite Hab (this is killing me, being a Boston fan ), it would be him.

Bergeron is our flower.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:10 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
Bergeron is our flower.
Amen. I love that kid.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
By the way, what happened to Koivu? Is he ok? I noticed he hasn't played many games this season, hope he is doing well.
He had a knee injury during preseason and missed the first like 8 games (didn't check how many really), and he's also had a concussion, thanks to Marc Savard.

Closed Thread