HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looks like Huet's value might have just gone up again...

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2008, 04:01 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

vCash: 500
Will must be Price's father, it looks like he loves him, I mean real love.

Old
02-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
Or he could well just be his other cousin... among many.

Old
02-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Gainey insisted that Price start in the playoffs last year in Hamilton...he took a chance and it paid off.

Roy was only barely out of his teens when he took over as #1

Price is the next Roy....remember even Roy didn't start out being the Patrick Roy who had so much success.

What would propose to do with Mr. Price....keep him as a back up

You got to forget the rookie thing...he won't be a rookie next season

Halak is ready as well and knows he will be the back up.

Huet knows that he wants security.....and he deserves it. Gainey knows talent and Price will be given the opportunity to lose the job....he won't....time will tell
Just because Roy did it doesn't mean Price will do it...

Roy did it but the team didn't PLAN on him doing it, he came and took the job and ran with it...PLANNING on Price being your #1 next year at 21 is very poor planning and could turn him into the next Fleury or Carey.

Old
02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not if we keep losing
Yeah if we keep losing he automatically loses his value. But when he won 7 out of 10 before losting 2 out of 3, he still sucked. What does it take for a goalie to have some recognition in montreal? A perfect season?

Old
02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
HabsoluteFate

well we know Huet is worth less than Lunqist in that deal...
You have to look at Lunqist 4 years from now in that deal versus Huet 4 years from now...Having said that Huet will probably get about 5 million..maybe more

Old
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
The kind of love that can only be had by one older man for a much younger man that doesn't know the first man yearns for him so.

Old
02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
MarkovsKnee

There is an age difference between Lundqvist and Huet. And, Huet has a history of injury problems. Even this year, he was out 2 weeks with a groin pull. One reason why the Habs won't attempt to re-sign him until the end of the season. Other teams will be weary of that history as well. It will affect his market price.

Toskala signed a $4 million extension with the Leafs, so if the Habs do re-sign Huet that's around where he'll be salary and cap wise. No team is giving him a long-term contract, or anything over $4.5 million.

Old
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Will, calm down buddy.

First bolded part is not proven yet.

Second bolded part proves you aren't calm because I've never said anything about him being a rookie, I talked about him being inexperimented, which he'll still be next season. Nothing short of being a rock in the playoffs (for at least three rounds) will make Price #1 next year, other than that, you can forget it.

it's not because Gainey put Price in the playoffs in Ham last year that he will take the huge risk of putting him up has number one when he's not even 21 yet. hamilton = low risk, Montreal Canadiens = much revenues, millions at sake... won't take that risk.

Yet again, I have to repeat, hasn't Price's games in the NHL proven to you that he is not yet ready for full flight... not saying that he can't but the doubt must be big in Gainey's mind and the reason he won't give the number one spot UNLESS Carey takes Huet's place in the playoffs and goes on a tear.
Price's games in the NHL have proven to me that he is close. He is not there yet.......but he is close. Gainey will not give him the number 1 job...he will take it. The playoffs may not happen this year, but, he will be carrying the team deep into the playoffs next year

Don't fight it this is going to be great and you will be there to witness it first hand....Carey Price cannot and will not be stopped by negative fans. Latest he takes the starter job is training camp 2008. I am hopeful he will grab it in this years playoffs...the same as Roy and Dryden.......Price is the man and he cannot be stopped.

Old
02-13-2008, 06:01 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The kind of love that can only be had by one older man for a much younger man that doesn't know the first man yearns for him so.
You sound like you have some experience in this area.

Old
02-13-2008, 06:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
You sound like you have some experience in this area.
I diagnose this sort of thing all the time, the best idea is for you to get some help and maybe for Price to install some security alarms.

Old
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Price's games in the NHL have proven to me that he is close. He is not there yet.......but he is close. Gainey will not give him the number 1 job...he will take it. The playoffs may not happen this year, but, he will be carrying the team deep into the playoffs next year

Don't fight it this is going to be great and you will be there to witness it first hand....Carey Price cannot and will not be stopped by negative fans. Latest he takes the starter job is training camp 2008. I am hopeful he will grab it in this years playoffs...the same as Roy and Dryden.......Price is the man and he cannot be stopped.
Will, here you go again, getting ahead of yourself. I'm not fighting "it", I'm telling you Bob is a very patient and conservative GM and won't take the chance to not sign Huet for next season, placing the number 1 spot on Huet's shoulder once again. I know full well what Price is capable of, I've seen it firsthand in the calder cup playoffs last year. And I am not negative, i'm just telling you that you're putting too mnay expectations on Price. What I'm telling you is that until he does, let's wait and cross that bridge when we get to it. Capice?

Old
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomiGr8 View Post
There is an age difference between Lundqvist and Huet.
That's exactly it. Lundqvist is still young and has potential.
Besides UFA's aren't affected as much as some think by other contracts, there's no comparisons, no bargaining or negociating when dealing with a free agent ; it's offer and demand in it's simplest form.

Old
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
mvp76

Yowser..the figures are closer to 7 million..6.875

Old
02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
At this point who cares? If Carbo keeps that strategy of the winning goalie takes all and he doesn't have more confidence in Huet and keeps criticizing him openly, Cristo is long gone. So other teams will overpay him. Won't matter to us.

It's a shame 'cause a Price-Huet tandem would be great for years to come. Seems that Carbo thinks differently though....

By the way, Lundqvist a 1000 times more than Huet...younger and overall better.

Old
02-14-2008, 03:07 AM
GNick42

Huet will get about 5 million a season this summer. Remember Theodore is getting paid 6 million this season. Not that many goalies get to UFA. Most top goalies are locked up long term....Broduer, Luongo, Toskala, Kippy, Nabby,

The main point is Huet's next contract will not be paid by the Montreal Canadiens. That is all we are concerned about...

Old
02-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Huet will get about 5 million a season this summer. Remember Theodore is getting paid 6 million this season. Not that many goalies get to UFA. Most top goalies are locked up long term....Broduer, Luongo, Toskala, Kippy, Nabby,

The main point is Huet's next contract will not be paid by the Montreal Canadiens. That is all we are concerned about...
Theo's salary is inflated, when he signed he was considered an elite NHL goalie, that is no longer the case.

As for Huet, I doubt it he gets 5 million.

4-4.5 max.... Huet may be very good; but he can't play 70 games like Brodeur, Kippy, Luongo, Lundqvist etc.... You can make all the save % arguments you want... but Huet has never shown that he can go that many games, as a result he's not a 6 million goalie.

Old
02-14-2008, 03:28 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Theo's salary is inflated, when he signed he was considered an elite NHL goalie, that is no longer the case.

As for Huet, I doubt it he gets 5 million.

4-4.5 max.... Huet may be very good; but he can't play 70 games like Brodeur, Kippy, Luongo, Lundqvist etc.... You can make all the save % arguments you want... but Huet has never shown that he can go that many games, as a result he's not a 6 million goalie.
There's a lot of teams out there desperate for a starting goalie. Even if it is just an average one like Huet. Huet is by far the best UFA goalie available. Teams don't have to give up nothing to get him...Tampa, LA...there will be good bidding for Huet. He'll go for 5 or very close to it

Old
02-14-2008, 04:26 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Just because Roy did it doesn't mean Price will do it...

Roy did it but the team didn't PLAN on him doing it, he came and took the job and ran with it...PLANNING on Price being your #1 next year at 21 is very poor planning and could turn him into the next Fleury or Carey.
Actually, it's Gainey and Lemaire who convinced Jean Perron of putting Roy in there for the playoffs. It was a gamble. Roy didn't even come out.

Old
02-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post

Bingo!

I'm sure (or quite sure!) that Huet will want a 4-5 year deal, no? at an average of (approx.) $4 mil/year (fair enough).

Are we going to be the team that locks up $16 mil or $20 mil+ in Huet?

Will Huet want to come back with Price breathing down his neck?!!
Huet (I'm sure) knows/realizes the situation...
And, what about Halak...? (this guy, Mr.Halak, may have the potential to be #1 for some NHL team out there, and...we have him in the AHL! the first chance he gets to leave...he will, imo!! unless...).

That said, I'd sign Huet to a 2 year deal ($3,75 - $4 mil/year).
And, with the possibility of trading him (so no "No Trade Clauses"!!).
Think Huet will go for this?! (I don't think so).

We shall see if Huet is here after February 26, and then if he is...we shall see how he does in playoffs (if we make it *knock on wood*)...

Old
02-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Bingo!

I'm sure (or quite sure!) that Huet will want a 4-5 year deal, no? at an average of (approx.) $4 mil/year (fair enough).

Are we going to be the team that locks up $16 mil or $20 mil+ in Huet?

Will Huet want to come back with Price breathing down his neck?!!
Huet (I'm sure) knows/realizes the situation...
And, what about Halak...? (this guy, Mr.Halak, may have the potential to be #1 for some NHL team out there, and...we have him in the AHL! the first chance he gets to leave...he will, imo!! unless...).

That said, I'd sign Huet to a 2 year deal ($3,75 - $4 mil/year).
And, with the possibility of trading him (so no "No Trade Clauses"!!).
Think Huet will go for this?! (I don't think so).

We shall see if Huet is here after February 26, and then if he is...we shall see how he does in playoffs (if we make it *knock on wood*)...
The smart thing to do for the Habs is go less years..2 years and give him 5 mil/yr(he will get it on the open maket for sure). Trading a top 10-15 starting goalie who makes 5 mil and is in the final year of his contract should not be hard if Price is clearly #1 after next year.

Old
02-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The smart thing to do for the Habs is go less years..2 years and give him 5 mil/yr(he will get it on the open maket for sure). Trading a top 10-15 starting goalie who makes 5 mil and is in the final year of his contract should not be hard if Price is clearly #1 after next year.
That's the problem, some may still think we can sign Huet for a short-term deal but the truth is we won't be able to.
He signed a 2-year deal last time just to prove he wasn't a fluke (Gainey actually had offered 3 years) and IMO this time it will take a long term deal to keep him here.

Old
02-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Huet will not be back next season. The sooner people start to realize this, the easier it will be for them. It has nothing to do with Huet's ability, but like mentioned, Huet is NOT going to sign for 2 years. And Gainey is NOT going to sign Huet long term.

Old
02-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Huet will not be back next season. The sooner people start to realize this, the easier it will be for them. It has nothing to do with Huet's ability, but like mentioned, Huet is NOT going to sign for 2 years. And Gainey is NOT going to sign Huet long term.
I concur with this. The only way Huet is back is if he signs a 1 or 2 year deal, at reasonnable money and if he is ready to accept a situation where he won't start more than 45-50 games. It seems unlikely.

Old
02-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I concur with this. The only way Huet is back is if he signs a 1 or 2 year deal, at reasonnable money and if he is ready to accept a situation where he won't start more than 45-50 games. It seems unlikely.
And he won't trade Huet at the deadline. I believe Gainey will try and sign Huet to a 2 year contract but Huet won't accept. Hopefully something could be worked out before July 1 in a sign and trade deal. Similar to the Flyers and Preds with Timmonen last year.

Old
02-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Yeah right...
Honestly. I really wonder what people are looking at when they make comments like this.

Carey Price has been stellar in two games this season I've seen (last night and the 4-3 win over TO) and the rest he's been good to downright terrible. I see nothing at the NHL level to confirm that he'll be HHOF goaltender and possibly the best of all of time. He's been merely a very talented and inconsistent young goalie.

Huet I don't think will stay in MTL for the various reasons already enumerated. As a UFA he will get an offer in the 5 million range for x number of years. If he wants a long-term deal, it isn't going to be with us.

Which I find unfortunate because if Huet was here, Price would have to actually earn the starting position rather than be anointed as the next coming. (Halak's treatment still rankles me a bit. Price has not proven to be a better goaltender than Halak at the NHL level. However people's memories are short.)

Closed Thread