HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barret Jackman

Old
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Barret Jackman

He's a UFA this summer. Interested? What would it take?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Levitate

I'd give him $2.7 mill...maybe $3, and hope he could regain some of his calder winning form. My impression of him now is that he's pretty solid, but never fulfilled that potential he once displayed. He seems kind of like a Girardi or Tytutin player (which also could be reason to NOT sign him).

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Fletch

Or, levitate...

it is a reason to sign him since he is cheap and defensively sound and could be a decent partner for Staal (and let Rozsival walk) and perhaps Staal/Jackman paid-up against top lines instead of Girardi/Toots. The only issue I see with something like that is that the Rangers would then lose offense on the blueline and that may be too much of a blow. But it is a way to operate in the cap world (assuming that Jackman goes for that amount).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He would be an upgrade to the overall corps imo. Certainly going into next year.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Larry Melnyk

I've mentioned him quite a few times...We need a phycical D-man like him....Looks like he will be the D-man that the Blues will trade...SInce I think he also could help us this year, I would have no problem dealing for him now and locking him with a longer term contract (next season have Jackman, Roszival,Staal,Tyutin, Girardi and ???)...Maybe trading some of our redundancey Dawes/Prucha/Cally, Holly/Byers can get him (or more)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 12:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

How is his skating and passing? I remember him being a young stud in the old NHL but is he working in the new NHL? Team low -14. ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsn
Assets
Is extremely aggressive and a willing bodychecker. Plays a sound defensive game and is mature for his age. Owns plenty of leadership qualities.

Flaws
Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside. Can get overly-aggressive at times. Has a history of shoulder problems.

Career potential
Defensive defenseman.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Levitate

I'd mainly just be worried that he'll try to shoot for a larger contract than he's worth. There's no point in being locked into a decently large contract with a guy who will never live up to it.

Or perhaps in other words, is he better than Paul Mara for $3 mill?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Eh, i'm not jumping up and down for him, maybe i'd offer him 2.5 but nothing more.

If the Blues aren't trying to resign him at his age then there as to be a reason. I've always been concerned with his health (even though he's stayed healthy this year). He's 2nd on his team in giveaways, and as a defenseman that is not good at all. Forwards you can give some leyway on giveaways since most of the time its going to happen in the offensive zone, but when the dmen are giving the puck away, its happening in their zone or at the offensive blue line which could turn into a odd man rush.

With that said, I havent seen him play this season so its hard for me to really judge him. Maybe a Blues fans will pop in and shed some light on his play.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
he loves to hit and he will drop the gloves. i'd take him on my team

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
he loves to hit and he will drop the gloves. i'd take him on my team
So does Hollweg, I don't want him on the team

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
avery16*

pass, he hit his peak years ago, terrible because he is still pretty young.

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Eh, i'm not jumping up and down for him, maybe i'd offer him 2.5 but nothing more.

If the Blues aren't trying to resign him at his age then there as to be a reason. I've always been concerned with his health (even though he's stayed healthy this year). He's 2nd on his team in giveaways, and as a defenseman that is not good at all. Forwards you can give some leyway on giveaways since most of the time its going to happen in the offensive zone, but when the dmen are giving the puck away, its happening in their zone or at the offensive blue line which could turn into a odd man rush.

With that said, I havent seen him play this season so its hard for me to really judge him. Maybe a Blues fans will pop in and shed some light on his play.
The few times I have seen him play this year, he was steady and physical, just what the Rangers need..But admitteldely a small sample size...The Blues are trying to resign him. They just don't think they can and will probably settle for re-upping Salvador instead. Good article at:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13201

And I think we defeintely need to brin in a top 4 D-man along with resigning Rozy becasue our youngsters like Girardi, Tyutin and everybody else but Sanguentti and Staal are iffy and a bit over-rated...

Old
02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Sunny Leone*

we need someone like this none of our defensemen except for stall rosival tutyin dont really hit and they dont do this consistantly

Sunny Leone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Fletch

Larry...

if Jackman and Rozsival are signed, who are the Rangers' top four? Add those two to Staal, Girardi and Toots and you have five in the top four. I'm trying to figure out myself signing both Rozsival and Jackman make sense, but I can't get there. And if not Jackman, who, and what should next season's strategy for the blueline be, and should that strategy start at the trade deadline.

Old
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
if Jackman and Rozsival are signed, who are the Rangers' top four? Add those two to Staal, Girardi and Toots and you have five in the top four. I'm trying to figure out myself signing both Rozsival and Jackman make sense, but I can't get there. And if not Jackman, who, and what should next season's strategy for the blueline be, and should that strategy start at the trade deadline.
5 in the top four is better then having three! But seriously, the way Tyutin has kinda regressed and the inconsistencies of Girardi, I wouln't be married to either of them in the top 4...Will Stall be ready for the top pair next year? I don't know, may be too early..And while, I like Jackman, he is not the player we have to get but an example of an improvement that we need.....For next year, I just think we will be making a big mistake if we don't bring in a D-man that can improve upon a top 4 of Roszy, Staal, Tyutin and Girardi and let it be decided upon in camp....jackman interests me becasue of the implications for this year ..

Old
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Fletch

That's the thing, Larry...

I think Staal can be top four next season. I have little doubts. Top pair? I actually think he will be able to do that too. Toots and Girardi - I'm not married to either, and if Girardi dropped down to the third pair, got PK time, got PP time, which would still get him 17-18 minutes per game, I'd be fine with that. It's tough making those decisions today though. You're basically deciding today that you're demoting one of your defensemen and you're breaking up a defensive pairing, which is fine, but today's a tough time to make that call.

As for the type of player..I do agree. I've always liked Jackman (and wanted to trade down for him in that draft - I think the Rangers did the total opposite of that). He may not have become a superstar and has had durability issues, but that's why you hope to get him for under $3MM and that's the kind of defenseman you seek to get in a cap environment.

Old
02-13-2008, 03:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
throw Girardi in the bottom pairing... he only looks good when playing agains teams 2nd and 3rd lines anyway... when he goes against a teams top players he always looks outmatched.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 03:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont know if i like Jackman...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
NJD1982

Aren't you guys like strapped done with Lundy signing his new deal?

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD1982 View Post
Aren't you guys like strapped done with Lundy signing his new deal?
You wish.

Next season a lot comes off, especially if Jagr doesnt hit his option. About 30 Million.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NYR

Not 100% accurate but close. Only 9 roster players signed for next year as of now (-Jagr)... 10 with Lundqvist.

A lot of guys to resign though.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 02-13-2008 at 04:05 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I llike defensemen who play tough and can play defense, Jackman does this. I go for him....up to 3 million. I'd normally think that's a bit high for him, but if healthy he's worth it. If injured he doesn't hit the cap while on IR so you'd save.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Fletch

The Rangers...

should be OK cap-wise, but I don't think they'll be able to, or at least it may not be wise to, sign anyone for more than $6MM, after Lundqvist that is. Which should be fine.

Old
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'll take him... Get us someone who can HIT...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Jackson Ranger

Anyone else think of Richter whenver Barret Jackman is brought up?

I like his game and it is definitely needed on the blueline for the Rangers but I would be worried about his health problems. He's averaged about 67 games the past two years and that doesn't include the year he got hurt and only played 15 games.

For the right price and length of term, I would sign him, but I would have to think a little more about him.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Fletch

I think...

it's more an idea that this type of player is needed (i.e., a defensive defenseman who is physical). Of course, he als has the abillity to go against top lines. Of course it will be nice to see all who will be available next season. I can't imagine there being many bargains out there.