HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who to sell

View Poll Results: Who to sell
Federov 30 38.46%
Vyborny 15 19.23%
Foote 19 24.36%
Novotny 0 0%
Other 6 7.69%
Its not over yet!!!! 8 10.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-14-2008, 07:13 AM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
na for the fact, that he's practically our only secondary scoring...All the young guys score when he centers em...Just an observation.
Soooo....if we are pretty much out of the playoffs by the deadline...and a team offers us a prospect and/or a good drat pick for him....why keep him? Even if I loved Fedorov....which I dont....why would we keep a guy who is older, slower, not in the future plans whatsoever? WHY WHY WHY??? After you miss the playoffs who gives a rat fart how many goals come from secondary, thirdary, fourthdary??? The season is SUNK. Time to retool and get young guys big minutes. Trade the POS!!!

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Hugg

Everyone on the roster who is over the age of 26 and everyone on the roster from the state of Ohio.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Lainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Everyone on the roster who is over the age of 26 and everyone on the roster from the state of Ohio.
I assume that by "everyone of the roster from the state of Ohio" you mean Dan Fritsche. I've heard quite a bit lately about moving Fritsche, which bothers me, because to me, Dan is like our "Rudy". He isn't the best guy on the team, but he plays every minute hard and can spark the more talented guys to wake up. I would be sad to see Dan go...

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
I assume that by "everyone of the roster from the state of Ohio" you mean Dan Fritsche. I've heard quite a bit lately about moving Fritsche, which bothers me, because to me, Dan is like our "Rudy". He isn't the best guy on the team, but he plays every minute hard and can spark the more talented guys to wake up. I would be sad to see Dan go...
Frankly, anybody still sentimental about any player on this team needs to watch more games like last night's stinker. I'm for any deal with any team involving any player that, in the end, makes us a Cup contender.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 08:04 AM
FiveHole23

Foote is awful. He is so bad. I really hope we sell him or he wants to much money so he doesn't get resigned. Our team is better without him.

The guy is to slow to keep up with the speed in the league. He was exploited last night, and im sure he is now exposed.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Yesterday sucked in general for me apart from the Jackets' performance last night, so I'm going to assume that it was a fluke and be an optimist.

That's right. I am publically admitting that I am one of the two (as of the time of this post) people voting "It(')s not over yet!!!!". Because, y'know, miracles can still happen.

As a result, I can't contribute anything any more constructive to this conversation and will now shut up.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Vogelhuber we hardly knew ye.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:33 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Vogelhuber we hardly knew ye.
I might change my handle to that

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Yesterday sucked in general for me apart from the Jackets' performance last night, so I'm going to assume that it was a fluke and be an optimist.

That's right. I am publically admitting that I am one of the two (as of the time of this post) people voting "It(')s not over yet!!!!". Because, y'know, miracles can still happen.

As a result, I can't contribute anything any more constructive to this conversation and will now shut up.
Nah...I'm kindof with you now Viqsi... I mean, what do we have to lose now?
The monkey may in fact be off this team's back. They might play with abandon now.
It's too little too late, but it could be entertaining hockey.

I've got my bag avatar on today to hide my tears. But still love this team.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:59 AM
General Saad

I would sell Vyborny, Foote, and Fedorov. I would like to include Novotony, but if Hitch would put him on the 3rd of 4th line where he belongs, I would be okay with him staying. The thing thats driving me nuts, is the Brassard, Brule, and Linstrom line, has looked like one of our best lines for the past week, but Hitch continues to play them 8 minutes a game. We have too many players like Novotony, Murray, Vyborny, that lack any type of speed, and just kills any type of offensive momentum. I know that I'm not a hockey expert, but does anyone agree. Its time to let the young pups play, and get them ready for next year. In all honesty, it will be a blessing if we dont make the playoff this year, because I dont want to see them make roster moves, and sell off some of our youth, just to make a token appearance.

General Saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
Frankly, anybody still sentimental about any player on this team needs to watch more games like last night's stinker. I'm for any deal with any team involving any player that, in the end, makes us a Cup contender.
exactly!

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
How does Klesla always get thrown in with our top players??? just because he was a high draft pick?? He is our biggest liability on defense, every night he is caught too high in the crease chasing and there are people behind him and they score or he chases someone behind the net and gets caught out of position. I'm done with him and Hainsey, they are brutal in our own end. Just because Klesla is good on Playstation doesn't mean he's good in real life people...
agreed, but the gals all think Rusty is soooooooooo cute........

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:09 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I don’t think it is a coincidence that the team’s recent struggles coincide with Fedorov being out with injury. I think he is more important to the team than some people give him credit for, but the situation is what it is, the Jackets playoff hopes are slipping away and with it, the need to keep Fedorov IMO. There will be a decent market for him and I don’t think the Jackets are going to try to bring him back (again IMO). So trade him.

If the CBJ want to open conversations with Vyborny over the summer (should be able to get him cheap!) that’d be fine with me, but for now -- trade him.

Same for Peca.

If the Jackets are going to seriously pursue a top-notch dman via trade or free agency - trade Hainsey.

I struggle with Foote. He has his detractors and I’ve been in that camp before, but honestly I think he’s played well for most of this season. Sure, everybody can point out a game or two or three where he’s been bad, but on the whole, I’m okay with his play and would welcome him back at a reduced rate. Ideal scenario is the classic trade-and-resign. Some may disagree with this, but I think retaining Foote is important as much for symbolic reasons as for on-ice reasons. He’s a respected guy both here and in the NHL and getting his “seal of approval” so-to-speak with him choosing to stay here is a good endorsement. I think it tells players here and elsewhere that this team is going somewhere.

Two wildcards: I’d listen to offers for Zherdev and Klesla. Emphasis on listen. Let me be clear on Zherdev - I don’t WANT him traded, but the CBJ have few “established” guys who’d really make another team salivate and I think he’s the most expendable. The number of deals I’d consider for him is probably small, but there might be some out there that can help the CBJ address those glaring needs. At the end of the day, wingers are easier to find and replace than centers or #1 dmen. Maybe there is something that makes sense...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:59 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I don’t think it is a coincidence that the team’s recent struggles coincide with Fedorov being out with injury. I think he is more important to the team than some people give him credit for, but the situation is what it is, the Jackets playoff hopes are slipping away and with it, the need to keep Fedorov IMO. There will be a decent market for him and I don’t think the Jackets are going to try to bring him back (again IMO). So trade him.

If the CBJ want to open conversations with Vyborny over the summer (should be able to get him cheap!) that’d be fine with me, but for now -- trade him.

Same for Peca.

If the Jackets are going to seriously pursue a top-notch dman via trade or free agency - trade Hainsey.

I struggle with Foote. He has his detractors and I’ve been in that camp before, but honestly I think he’s played well for most of this season. Sure, everybody can point out a game or two or three where he’s been bad, but on the whole, I’m okay with his play and would welcome him back at a reduced rate. Ideal scenario is the classic trade-and-resign. Some may disagree with this, but I think retaining Foote is important as much for symbolic reasons as for on-ice reasons. He’s a respected guy both here and in the NHL and getting his “seal of approval” so-to-speak with him choosing to stay here is a good endorsement. I think it tells players here and elsewhere that this team is going somewhere.

Two wildcards: I’d listen to offers for Zherdev and Klesla. Emphasis on listen. Let me be clear on Zherdev - I don’t WANT him traded, but the CBJ have few “established” guys who’d really make another team salivate and I think he’s the most expendable. The number of deals I’d consider for him is probably small, but there might be some out there that can help the CBJ address those glaring needs. At the end of the day, wingers are easier to find and replace than centers or #1 dmen. Maybe there is something that makes sense...
it may be. as it forces us to move players up even more than we have before. but you have to ask this when thinking of trading him. are we better off with the assets we can get for him and spending his 6 mill elsewhere or with him. count me as one who thinks its the first.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyers33 View Post
I will even go out on more of a limb, Given his quirky demeanor, Z may be at the height of his value. I would certainly listen, but not give him away. But for the right deal, cya Nik.
I concur. Sell high if the right offer is there.

Believe me I'm not over-reacting but at this point I listen to anything and everything - including offers for the golden boy. Not that I neccesarily want to deal big Rick but say for instance Tampa Bay is looking for a big shakeup and a name like Lecavalier is brought up...unlikely I know but that's why I wouldn't rule anyone out.

If Wayne Gretzky can get dealt.....

Last offseason I was big on getting the right people in to steer this ship. I think that's been accomplished. Now I think Howson/Hitch know what they've got and its time to gut this fish and assemble a much more competitive roster.

What is that exactly - I'll leave it to Howson but I don't think anything or one can be ruled out. Its like Martin said of the Panthers in the other thread --- after 7 seasons of the Jackets not making the playoffs is anyone really untouchable? -- I don't think so.

Again though quantity doesn't = quality. No way Nash or in some ways a guy like Z is moved unless its a young impact player coming back and quite frankly the chances of that happening are next to zero.

These guys will be smart about it. Howson isn't going to make a deal just to make it which is exactly he's the kind of person we need in charge right now. Smart calculated decisions that are in the best interests of the Jackets short and long term.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:05 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
I agree that nobody is untouchable. Great point whoever said Wayne Gretzky got traded.

Last edited by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe: 02-14-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: qdp
PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:19 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

No matter who gets traded, we will need veterans. Whether we keep some of them or acquire new ones, I don't really care at this point.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 01:32 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I concur. Sell high if the right offer is there.

Believe me I'm not over-reacting but at this point I listen to anything and everything - including offers for the golden boy. Not that I neccesarily want to deal big Rick but say for instance Tampa Bay is looking for a big shakeup and a name like Lecavalier is brought up...unlikely I know but that's why I wouldn't rule anyone out.

If Wayne Gretzky can get dealt.....

Last offseason I was big on getting the right people in to steer this ship. I think that's been accomplished. Now I think Howson/Hitch know what they've got and its time to gut this fish and assemble a much more competitive roster.

What is that exactly - I'll leave it to Howson but I don't think anything or one can be ruled out. Its like Martin said of the Panthers in the other thread --- after 7 seasons of the Jackets not making the playoffs is anyone really untouchable? -- I don't think so.

Again though quantity doesn't = quality. No way Nash or in some ways a guy like Z is moved unless its a young impact player coming back and quite frankly the chances of that happening are next to zero.

These guys will be smart about it. Howson isn't going to make a deal just to make it which is exactly he's the kind of person we need in charge right now. Smart calculated decisions that are in the best interests of the Jackets short and long term.
I presume this means you're off the "UFA's don't fix the problem" bandwagon, because like it or not, that's going to have to be a part of the solution given the current makeup of the team.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 1695
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I'm glad you're confident in them. I'm sure not. I'm not saying they're terrible at this point, but I've got no evidence that indicates he's part of the solution. The Shelley trade reeks of making a deal just to make it.

The "culture change" that was so widely proclaimed in these parts a few months ago seems to have worn off, and the same guys that were part of it - Peca, Hejda, Novotny - seem to be as much a part of the problem as anyone at this stage. Shelley and Fedorov seem to have been the glue holding this team together and Howson had no part in aquiring either of them.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
I'm glad you're confident in them. I'm sure not. I'm not saying they're terrible at this point, but I've got no evidence that indicates he's part of the solution. The Shelley trade reeks of making a deal just to make it.

The "culture change" that was so widely proclaimed in these parts a few months ago seems to have worn off, and the same guys that were part of it - Peca, Hejda, Novotny - seem to be as much a part of the problem as anyone at this stage. Shelley and Fedorov seem to have been the glue holding this team together and Howson had no part in aquiring either of them.
Howson either will or won't start a dramatic makeover of the team at the deadline and continue into the summer. If he doesn't that's bad. If he does, well, that's good - although I reserve the right to have a positive or negative reaction to the ultimate outcome of all player transactions/acquisitions. In other words, in Howson I may not trust, but I pretty much have no choice but to have hope.

BTW - I think the Shelley trade is the first baby step in what I was talking about in the other thread - keep players that fit the long-term plan of the team, don't keep players that, well, don't.

Old
02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
5StringBuzz

I was ambivalent about the Shelley deal at the time. I didn't think it would have a direct impact on the ice, since he wasn't playing anyway. I certainly hope the guys didn't take the Shelley trade as a sign to flip the switch to "off." If that's all it took, then I'm starting to think none of them belong in the league. The 1-3-3 post-Shelley record really stinks, but that better not be the catalyst.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:30 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
I was ambivalent about the Shelley deal at the time. I didn't think it would have a direct impact on the ice, since he wasn't playing anyway. I certainly hope the guys didn't take the Shelley trade as a sign to flip the switch to "off." If that's all it took, then I'm starting to think none of them belong in the league. The 1-3-3 post-Shelley record really stinks, but that better not be the catalyst.
Fedorov and Modin also haven’t played in the post-Shelley period and I suspect that is bigger factor in the struggles than the loss of Shelley was.

People keep coming back to this Shelley trade as being a negative turning point.
My two thoughts are:

1. I don’t believe it (maybe don’t WANT to believe it would be more accurate). I know he was a well-liked and respected guy, but he’s hardly played and has been a non-factor on the ice.

2. If it is true - that this team willingly or unwillingly has gone into the tank because Jody Shelley got traded - then that probably makes me more angry than any single other happening in this franchise’s history. It makes me want to grab the next CBJ I player I see and scream “grow the hell up babies!” Please don’t let this be the reason for recent struggles.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:40 PM
cbjrocks

Quote:
Fedorov and Modin also haven’t played in the post-Shelley period and I suspect that is bigger factor in the struggles than the loss of Shelley was.

People keep coming back to this Shelley trade as being a negative turning point.
My two thoughts are:

1. I don’t believe it (maybe don’t WANT to believe it would be more accurate). I know he was a well-liked and respected guy, but he’s hardly played and has been a non-factor on the ice.

2. If it is true - that this team willingly or unwillingly has gone into the tank because Jody Shelley got traded - then that probably makes me more angry than any single other happening in this franchise’s history. It makes me want to grab the next CBJ I player I see and scream “grow the hell up babies!” Please don’t let this be the reason for recent struggles.
Last night, at the "game", the subject of Shelley-envy come up.

Let's look at this

1. He sucked.
2. He had limited minutes.
3. He was a healty scratch.
4. He was in danger of not getting to 400 games this season and not getting an NHL pension.

For this--- he was

1. Traded to a winner.
2. Playing on a line with superior players
3. Gettting more minutes.
4. Gets an assist against his old team.
5. May get his name on a cup.

Boy, if I were Rick Nash, I'd be feeling really good right around now about playing in Columbus.

Before you get on me-- yes, they are pros-- blah blah blah.

But, there have been too many CBJ players in which the reward for average play was being traded to a contender. At some point, that's got to drag.

Shelley may have cried the day he was traded, but I bet he's a lot happier today.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 03:52 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:

My two thoughts are:

I'm with you completely. On Item 1) Yeah. On Item 2) Heck yeah!

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Macster

I think that regardless of who we move at the deadline, we will be a much improved club after the 26th.

I get the impression that the guys are playing "scared". After the deadline there is less pressure and uncertainty. The only problem with that, is it may be too late.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote