HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The immediate future

Old
02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
jetbluejackets

vCash: 500
The immediate future

8 of the next 9 on the road?

Anyone still believe in the playoffs?

Not I.....not this year

....discuss

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 900

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
We shouldn't even be discussing playoffs anymore.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I've held out hope since the start of the post-ASG slump. Not anymore. I'm afraid it's time to start setting up tee times.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
polar

The whole 'playoff' thing needs to be let go for the rest of the season. We are playing so bad right now that we may be the worst team in the western conference.

polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
5StringBuzz

It was nice to hope for the playoffs, but we can stick a fork in the CBJ for this season. They're done. They've failed to step up in games they needed time and time again, and tonight's shameful performance at home is inexcusable. They aren't a playoff team.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar View Post
The whole 'playoff' thing needs to be let go for the rest of the season. We are playing so bad right now that we may be the worst team in the western conference.
I can't disagree. Even the Kings have moments of brilliance.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
baberg

Cue Jim Mora:

Playoffs? Don't talk about... Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!

baberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Muleskinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
It was nice to hope for the playoffs, but we can stick a fork in the CBJ for this season. They're done. They've failed to step up in games they needed time and time again, and tonight's shameful performance at home is inexcusable. They aren't a playoff team.
I hate to say it, but I give up after tonight. They are done.... again. Same ole crap another season. They were close in making a move toward a play off season but needed more horses but didn't get them.

That makes the GM's job alot easier now. We are sellers not buyers at the trade dead line.

Ok, Let's get rid of Fed's, Vybes, Peca, Foote, and all the high priced vet's that were supposed to make this team win. IMHO they all sucked BIGTIME. And I mean all of them! I can't believe Adam Foote get's a pass on these boards like he does. He is not worth the money he gets payed. He is steady....nothing great.

Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I agree guys. The off-season began after the second period tonight.

The Jackets organization will do their best to continue to sell hope (and tickets), but ya don't have to be a FHOFer to see the handwriting on the wall.

And if they surprise everyone over the next six or seven games... at least it will make the end-game interesting and fun.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
I can't believe Adam Foote get's a pass on these boards like he does. He is not worth the money he gets payed. He is steady....nothing great.
Foote is the captain of this ship. He gets no free pass from me, unless it's a pass to the bus station.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

you can't expect to win conference rivalry games when you have two of your toughest, stand up guys out of the lineup (Boll and Tollie)

Mule: Foote gets no pass from me either, he played himself out of Columbus tonight IMO... Its clear that when it really counts, he's not ready or willing to be what this team needs him to be, Just like Odelein and Richardson before him.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Muleskinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
you can't expect to win conference rivalry games when you have two of your toughest, stand up guys out of the lineup (Boll and Tollie)

Mule: Foote gets no pass from me either, he played himself out of Columbus tonight IMO... Its clear that when it really counts, he's not ready or willing to be what this team needs him to be, Just like Odelein and Richardson before him.
Amen brother..... Foote looks no better right now than Odelein, Richardson, ect... He still looks physical in the corners but so slow! His first year here he was on top of most every play but now......He is a step behind......taking penalties. What's worse is now I see him getting flat-out beat around the net!

Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 01:57 AM
pipe dreams

tonight's performance? LOL we should be worried about next year this organization has showed nothing that they will ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make the playoffs forget about next year. show me something different. This team sucks from top to bottom everyone and deserves to be the laughing stock of the NHL. I hate to say it but this year was a must, at this pace this club will be gone in two years. ownership LOL scouts LOL players LOL talent LOL payroll LOL heart LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO CALL ME CHICKEN LITTLE ALL YOU WANT THIS TEAM IS A JOKE!!!!!!!

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 06:29 AM
CBJSlash

We still have more points than any team in the Southeast.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:09 AM
BluejacketNut

Speaking of free passes...the old regime use to get torn up for not taking responsibility, Hitch isnt getting a free pass on this one from me. The team flat out was not ready to play....last time I checked, it was the coaches job to get the team ready to play....that didnt happen. Dont get me wrong, the players sucked big time, but so did Hitch in not getting the team ready to play.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

I'ts time to start following
1. Trade Deadline - Who will go and for what.
2 . Draft targets. We will have a top 10 pick and probably 1 or 2 more 1st round picks.

The only difference between this year and previos years is we are Trade deadline sellers with sellable assets.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 08:02 AM
orangebarrelman

I hate to say it, at the beginning of the year I was looking for one game over .500 this year, that'd be what 10 or 12 points more than we've ever had.

My best hope 5 games over .500 and strongly in the middle of the pack. Anything below .500 and this second half would have to be as disasterous as the first half was exhilerating.

M

And I know I have a typo or two!

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
FiveHole23

Whats that guys name Stamkos or something? That should be our goal now.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Hugg

Well, since there's been some hinting at it...forget about improving our draft position. I have zero interest in that either. Since we've been fond of posting football coach rants here, I'll join in on this subject.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I choose to be the token optimist.

We're still only four points out. It's still theoretically possible. Unlikely, but possible.

(frankly, I never expected we'd make it this year anyways, so it was always going to be a Pleasant Surprise. This is what gives me the strength to go on.)

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:23 AM
MisterC

Send a message via AIM to MisterC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I choose to be the token optimist.

We're still only four points out. It's still theoretically possible. Unlikely, but possible.

(frankly, I never expected we'd make it this year anyways, so it was always going to be a Pleasant Surprise. This is what gives me the strength to go on.)
I'm with you. I entered this season hoping for at least 3rd in the division, so the fact that we're throwing in the towel in February is alright with me. Heartbreaking, but alright.

Also, this at least gives Howson a chance to clear that old Maclean stench out of Nationwide by being an absolute seller at the deadline. Let him bring in a team that Hitch can work with a little better, and we'll see about next year.

MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
Amen brother..... Foote looks no better right now than Odelein, Richardson, ect... He still looks physical in the corners but so slow! His first year here he was on top of most every play but now......He is a step behind......taking penalties. What's worse is now I see him getting flat-out beat around the net!
When your Captain only shows up every third or fourth game, you have a real problem with leadership on this team, despite what Hitch and Howson say.

Odelein would fight, stand up for teammates pretty regularly, but was absolutely useless everywhere else. Richardson had that one HUGE open ice hit on Hejduk a few seasons ago and that was it...he whined and complained about getting a job at wendy's during the lockout.

Ray Whitney, was conspicious by his absence in my previous post. He played well offensively, QB'd the PP and put up respectable numbers, the problem? He didn't have an leadership qualities... That said, one of the dumbest moves ever was not resigning him... He did want four years, but I'll bet MacLean, spinster and salesman as he is, could convinced him to go three years.

This team has no consistent leadership...not one player on this team plays as a captain should night in and night out. Period.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Well, since there's been some hinting at it...forget about improving our draft position. I have zero interest in that either. Since we've been fond of posting football coach rants here, I'll join in on this subject.

Nice post, Hugg. While I tend to believe that the team's wad is shot (last night's game not serving to prove it only to put an exclamation point on the downward trends we've been seeing), and perhaps that quite a few players should be moved for "assets," I will never be happy when the team loses, and I will not use "improving draft position" as a way to justify the losing.

Old
02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Since we're referencing football coach rants, the one I find to be most appropriate is Denny Green's classic "they were who we thought they were" (forgive me, I'm not tech savvy enough to link to the You Tube clip).

I could be wrong but my recollection of the preseason projections from many of us were of the “close but no cigar” variety -- improved, but still just on the outside looking in.
That’s still the team I see today. Goaltending and defense over the course of the season have been good enough to be a playoff team IMO. Offense once again failed to hold their end.

I always said I was willing to give Hitch and Howson this season to observe and evaluate. I stand by that. Now the time is coming to really get down to work. The trade deadline and the offseason will be key. I’m eager to see what this organization will do.

Short term looks a bit bleak (though not impossible), but long term I’m still on for the ride.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote