HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The immediate future

Old
02-14-2008, 10:38 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
It is just amazing to me how much the All Star break killed our team. It is unreal how poorly the boys have played since then. It's almost like they thought they had done enough this season, and folded up shop. I truly believe that this team would still be competing at a decent level to this day if the break hadn't occurred.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:44 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
It is just amazing to me how much the All Star break killed our team. It is unreal how poorly the boys have played since then. It's almost like they thought they had done enough this season, and folded up shop. I truly believe that this team would still be competing at a decent level to this day if the break hadn't occurred.
LeSnub
LeTrade
LeFlu
LeLoss
LeBag

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Agree Kallio. I picked for a ninth place finish at best at the beginning of the season, but I was thinking we were going to see a situation where they were floating around 12-11 or 10th place all season and turned it on after the trade deadline.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Since we're referencing football coach rants, the one I find to be most appropriate is Denny Green's classic "they were who we thought they were" (forgive me, I'm not tech savvy enough to link to the You Tube clip).

I still have no idea what Green's point was with this rant.

Old
02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Speaking of free passes...the old regime use to get torn up for not taking responsibility, Hitch isnt getting a free pass on this one from me. The team flat out was not ready to play....last time I checked, it was the coaches job to get the team ready to play....that didnt happen. Dont get me wrong, the players sucked big time, but so did Hitch in not getting the team ready to play.
Nut, you're putting yourself out there on this one... But I admire that. Ballsy. I would say to people that say that Hitch has no responsiblity for this loss: "if thats the case, then Hitch has been tuned out by the players, already."

Dangerous ground, very scary possiblity, if the players are tuning him and the coaches out already, the next coach isn't going to be so forgiving.

Old
02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

The Cards were up by twenty in the 4th... They had baited Rex Grossman into throwing several interceptions and had exploited holes in the bears defense all night...then, they stop playing... Basically, the Bears were who Green and his coaches thought they were and that they could be exploited with a great game plan, then, just when it looked like it was over, the Cards took their foots off the gas and the Bears took over.

Old
02-14-2008, 10:55 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Nut, you're putting yourself out there on this one... But I admire that. Ballsy. I would say to people that say that Hitch has no responsiblity for this loss: "if thats the case, then Hitch has been tuned out by the players, already."

Dangerous ground, very scary possiblity, if the players are tuning him and the coaches out already, the next coach isn't going to be so forgiving.
I know the saying has always been, "you can't fire the players, so you fire the coach." In this instance, I say "fire the players" - as many as humanly possible. I think Hitch has a solid scheme that can work to perfection with the right players. We just don't have enough of those. Hitch has experienced winning more than the vast majority of the guys on this team. I'll take his pedigree any day.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
I know the saying has always been, "you can't fire the players, so you fire the coach." In this instance, I say "fire the players" - as many as humanly possible. I think Hitch has a solid scheme that can work to perfection with the right players. We just don't have enough of those. Hitch has experienced winning more than the vast majority of the guys on this team. I'll take his pedigree any day.
I agree...Gerard Gallant was not ready to be an NHL coach...Nobody on this team is greater then Hitch.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Is it possible that Hitch has tuned the PLAYERS out?
I mean, do he and Howson have an understanding that the team to get upset with is NOT this team....and they are just waiting-out some contracts, waiting for the maturation of certain players, and waiting for Howson's first FULL UFA season?

...I could convince myself of this, especially today. Yes I could.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:04 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I mean, do he and Howson have an understanding that the team to get upset with is NOT this team....and they are just waiting-out some contracts, waiting for the maturation of certain players, and waiting for Howson's first FULL UFA season?

Possibly - I get this feeling during most of Hitch's post-game pressers when he just looks defeated and all BUT says "I've squeezed everything I can outta this motley crew."

Can't wait for new, HITCH-approved, players.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:06 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

JACKETfan...You totally blew my mind.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Speaking of free passes...the old regime use to get torn up for not taking responsibility, Hitch isnt getting a free pass on this one from me. The team flat out was not ready to play....last time I checked, it was the coaches job to get the team ready to play....that didnt happen. Dont get me wrong, the players sucked big time, but so did Hitch in not getting the team ready to play.
As I stated last night:

Quote:
Im starting to think Hitch has squeezed all he is going to get out of this turd. And now its just a turd.

My thanks goes out to Douglas MacLean once again. Thanks for 7 years of utter mismanagement.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
As I stated last night:
Pub's continues to impress...

Old
02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

I knew someone would come through.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM
cincyfan

Quote:

it sure as hell looks that way!

and i for one would be willing to get rid of all

the dead weight! i would be totally content with a team of youngsters that hustled

every shift for a couple of years knowing were going in the right direction.

cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:27 AM
jackets63

Quote:
This team hasnt been the same since Shelley was traded. They traded away the soul of the team.

jackets63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63 View Post
This team hasnt been the same since Shelley was traded. They traded away the soul of the team.
I wouldn't go that far, but I will say that I don't think Howson truly understood the importance of Jody to both the team and the community.

Old
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

We can't keep dwelling on Jody. Its unhealthy, just like its unhealthy to keep dwelling on the fact that we haven't had a decent PP QB since Ray Whitney. (Although Tarnstrom may turn out ok)

Old
02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
osucbj03

Send a message via AIM to osucbj03
I assumed I would get on here to hear the sky is falling, but I'm continually amazed at how people have repeatedly said NOW the playoffs are out of question (for the last 2 weeks). I think it's remarkable that we've lost 8 of 9 and are still a winning streak away from being a contender.

The trade deadline is still 5 games away. There is no point in throwing in the towel until then. If I'm a betting man, I'm saying the Jackets aren't making the playoffs but I'd imagine I could pull some great odds at this point to bet on them.

osucbj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
ca5150

Unfortunately we got caught up in the ride there for a little bit but if at the beginning of the year everyone was told that we would be in it and playing meaningful games into the end of February, everyone here would have gladly took that after being out of it in November each year. We have made progress and we will make progress next year as well. it's just too bad but with a strong finish we will have had our best year of the franchise and that's the only way to look at it as a whole or else just find a different team. i grew up a Wings fan in the 80's so i know about sucking for years and years on end and it doesn't happen overnight.

The biggest problem with Columbus sports fans is that they have a win or nothing attitude from the college football mentality. If the Buckeyes lose one game the season is over so that attitude is carried over into the Blue Jackets and we take each loss very badly and are devastated by failure.

Things will turn, there were some major mistakes made in the early years, i.e. Klesla, but things will get better and I believe in the management and coaches we have and they will turn this into a winner at some point, sooner than later hopefully.

i have a bigger problem with individuals on the ice not giving it 100%, i want them gone.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
The biggest problem with Columbus sports fans is that they have a win or nothing attitude from the college football mentality. If the Buckeyes lose one game the season is over so that attitude is carried over into the Blue Jackets and we take each loss very badly and are devastated by failure.
Not really. There are plenty of posters on this board who care nothing about OSU football, but who still despise the failure, lack of effort, lack of intensity, lack of focus, etc. that we have experienced with this team the past couple of weeks.

Old
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
BluejacketNut

Dont get me wrong, im not putting it all on Hitch, most of it is just the lack of talent, but last night they were not ready to play....and that is the coaches job, to get them ready for the game, so he does share some of the blame for that pile of turd that was on the ice last night. Im still glad Hitch is here, just saying that there is more to his job then just a system...motivation is a big responsibility of the coach and there was ZERO motivation last night. And if it is a scenario that he's gotten the most out of these guys he can....DH better be VERY busy this offseason buying out contracts and getting "hitch guys" on the team.

Also first order of business for DH is get rid of that stupid intro song Machinehead.....ever notice that we're always reverting back to the same problems as in the past?? Look no further then Machinehead lol Use the war drum beat they use right when they come out of the locker room, I like that so much better then that stupid 90's Bush song!!

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
cbjrocks

I thought they would keep it interesting until the trade deadline and they did. Expectation met.

Next target-- 83 points. If they go .500 the rest of the way...84 points.

Don't get me wrong--- I hate being right on this one.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Not really. There are plenty of posters on this board who care nothing about OSU football, but who still despise the failure, lack of effort, lack of intensity, lack of focus, etc. that we have experienced with this team the past couple of YEARS.
Fixed it for ya DJ

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
BigBadD

Last night brings me from lurker to poster....

...to deliver our general manager a message from Mortimer and Randolph Duke.

BigBadD is offline   Reply With Quote