HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Standings

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Standings

Now that the rangers are in 9th place, and behind the 7th and 8th place teams by points and games(2).....how far do they have to be back to start unloading players?

IMO, if they lose the game against buffalo I would start to offload contracts like malik for w/e u can get and shanny for something good.....i would do it slowly, over the week to see if the team can get back into it with the unloading of some players, but if they cant i would get rid of most of the older guys......

Old
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I would do it even before Buffalo's game, if we win or not. I mean, unless we go on a tear here, win every game before the deadline, and look like something FIERCE, there's no reason why we shouldn't make trades.

The big GM meeting is next Monday and Tuesday I believe, and I believe Sather will know what someone around the league will give for Jagr, Shanahan, etc... although out of all the vets, Jagr seems to be the one to go if any.

I don't agree with that really, I say if you move one Czech move the others too, because really, they are all in a bonding friendship and even though they aren't as whiny about playing with certain players as Jagr is, I think they'd under-perform even more-so now without Jagr.

Fact is; something needs to be done. We are too close to making it or not making it and Sather can't remain quiet for the deadline. Go get us a defensemen.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Question:

Who's selling?

Almost every team is in it!

Old
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
I would do it even before Buffalo's game, if we win or not. I mean, unless we go on a tear here, win every game before the deadline, and look like something FIERCE, there's no reason why we shouldn't make trades.

The big GM meeting is next Monday and Tuesday I believe, and I believe Sather will know what someone around the league will give for Jagr, Shanahan, etc... although out of all the vets, Jagr seems to be the one to go if any.

I don't agree with that really, I say if you move one Czech move the others too, because really, they are all in a bonding friendship and even though they aren't as whiny about playing with certain players as Jagr is, I think they'd under-perform even more-so now without Jagr.

Fact is; something needs to be done. We are too close to making it or not making it and Sather can't remain quiet for the deadline. Go get us a defensemen.
i would actually get rid of shanny first because his contract is 5.3 million as opposed to the 4.9 of jagrs....plus the team has looked the same with shanny in the lineup and without

Old
02-13-2008, 10:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Question:

Who's selling?

Then that's more of a reason for us to be sellers.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Question:

Who's selling?

see but thats the point.....with alomst all the teams buying, players like the ones the rangers would put up would return a lot!!

Old
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
So when did the teams around us win all of their remaining games? I'd like to know..sitting at 9th now is still a fine spot.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Old
02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
So when did the teams around us win all of their remaining games? I'd like to know..sitting at 9th now is still a fine spot.
right, i know what your saying, but if the rangers lost to buffalo, then they are 4 points behind them and buffalo has 2 games in hand....not exactly a good percentage to catch them

Old
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
I said win every game before the deadline and look as if they don't need to make shake-ups, (see: last years stretch run).

Do you honestly feel a need to argue with every one of my posts? Because it sure seems like you go essentially out of your way to do so.

Yes, sitting at 9th is still a fine spot, but it could get worse, still 3 more days until we play, and those games will be crucial. We've been saying must win lately but these games before the deadline are pretty much a must win.

Still, 9th isn't grounds for a 'no panic, we'll wait and see' which is basically Sather's whole idea of GM'ing, which frightens me. If we aren't going anywhere, lose the old timers, get what you can, prepare for the upcoming years. If we think we can get something done, then make a little shake-up, and at least acquire a top 4 defender at the very least, which is a top-priority.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Question:

Who's selling?

Exactly, which means most teams are BUYING.

With the signing of Lundqvist, this team needs to get some real cheap young commodities. There is too much cap space gone to just 3 players.

With most teams in it, the likelihood of serious interest in the likes of Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Malik, Mara... would benefit this organization.

We have a real opportunity now to make some really good moves to really secure our future.

Or we can sit around and waste the opportunity and be in a mess in the summer.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
NYR Viper

[QUOTE=BroadwayBlues;12506809]Exactly, which means most teams are BUYING.

With the signing of Lundqvist, this team needs to get some real cheap young commodities. There is too much cap space gone to just 3 players.

With most teams in it, the likelihood of serious interest in the likes of Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Malik, Mara... would benefit this organization.

We have a real opportunity now to make some really good moves to really secure our future.

Or we can sit around and waste the opportunity and be in a mess in the summer.[/
[QUOTE]

thats what it ultimatley comes down to, whether the rangers are smart enough to know when to sell when the price is high or not

Old
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
right, i know what your saying, but if the rangers lost to buffalo, then they are 4 points behind them and buffalo has 2 games in hand....not exactly a good percentage to catch them
What happens if the teams in our division hit a wall..fact is there are seven other teams whose spots are still realistically up for grabs.

For all anyone knows, Jersey could slip and the Islanders could get back in the fold.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
ruckus*

I just wish that I could say when the Rangers win I'm actually happy for Rangers fans. But thanks to this board I hate the majority of you. WE'RE IN A PLAYOFF RACE. THERE'S 23 GAMES REMAINING. WE PLAY BUFFALO THREE TIMES. BOSTON ONCE. CAROLINA ONCE. Give me a break. Does Ottawa really scare you guys that much? All this team has to do is get into the playoffs. Any idiot on earth should realize this. If you think Sather is going to move vets in the middle of a playoff race you're out of your minds. It would take a complete collapse in the next two weeks for that to happen. As long as this team is in the hunt nothing is going to happen except an attempt to upgrade. The playoffs are a completely different animal. Once you get there, everything changes and starts over. If this team gets in, I swear I wish none of you could watch or enjoy it.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
What happens if the teams in our division hit a wall..fact is there are seven other teams whose spots are still realistically up for grabs.

For all anyone knows, Jersey could slip and the Islanders could get back in the fold.
i absolutely agree, thats why i said i would start to get rid of some players at first and see how that goes....a shake-up maybe just to see if they can reach their potential.....and then if nothing happens, i would trade them at the deadline.....but, i just dont see how malik and shanahan are doing anything ON THE ICE to really help this team

Old
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I just wish that I could say when the Rangers win I'm actually happy for Rangers fans. But thanks to this board I hate the majority of you. WE'RE IN A PLAYOFF RACE. THERE'S 23 GAMES REMAINING. WE PLAY BUFFALO THREE TIMES. BOSTON ONCE. CAROLINA ONCE. Give me a break. Does Ottawa really scare you guys that much? All this team has to do is get into the playoffs. Any idiot on earth should realize this. If you think Sather is going to move vets in the middle of a playoff race you're out of your minds. It would take a complete collapse in the next two weeks for that to happen. As long as this team is in the hunt nothing is going to happen except an attempt to upgrade. The playoffs are a completely different animal. Once you get there, everything changes and starts over. If this team gets in, I swear I wish none of you could watch or enjoy it.
wow.....a little angry?.....lol, that is the point of this board....to discuss the possibilities.....why not discuss this, the rangers arent playing and it is something to talk about on a boring night

Old
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Uhm, yeah. Considering 9/10 times they are on their game, and when that is, they demolish.

When the Rangers are on their game, sure, they're a scary team, but whens that, once every 5 games? Even more? I really don't think your argument is good enough. Sure, getting into the playoffs, anything can happen. But teams that play with more intensity and heart than us (which is most out there, even the Islanders for christ sake, they just suck but at least the effort is there every night), will kill us out there.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

[QUOTE=hockeyviper87;12506828][QUOTE=BroadwayBlues;12506809]Exactly, which means most teams are BUYING.

Or we can sit around and waste the opportunity and be in a mess in the summer.[/
Quote:

thats what it ultimatley comes down to, whether the rangers are smart enough to know when to sell when the price is high or not
I honestly don't see any other smart move.

Being buyers would be a detriment to the organization's future.

We are in a salary cap bind here with so much going to Gomer, Dru, and Henke.

The ONLY viable option here is to go the cheap young route. And in order to do that we HAVE to sell the UFAs.

If we buy, the summer is going to be a mess with half the roster gone to free agency.

Get returns for these guys now.

Teams WILL be interested in Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Malik, and Mara, and if we have no intent to resign him Rozsival too..a team can add these guys and be stronger for a serious Cup run. I just don't think we will do it with them.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

We're tied for 8th, relax.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
We're tied for 8th, relax.
not when the bruins have two more games to play.....the rangers are in 9th....

Old
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Games in hand mean nothing until they're played

Old
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
wow.....a little angry?.....lol, that is the point of this board....to discuss the possibilities.....why not discuss this, the rangers arent playing and it is something to talk about on a boring night
It's the whole mentality of this fanbase. It never changes. Everyone always wants the opposite of what's going on. People talk about trading players and getting back picks and prospects. What has this organizations track record been over the long haul when it comes to drafting and what not? Do people honestly think that getting rid of some vets (and other than Jagr, there's no vets on this team who will bring back any players/picks of significance...teams know most of these players will retire next year) is going to secure our future? SECURE OUR FUTURE? Is that serious? This team has the potential to beat anyone in this conference. ANYONE. And in a 7 game series, with Lundqvist on his game, I like our chances.

Quote:
Uhm, yeah. Considering 9/10 times they are on their game, and when that is, they demolish.

When the Rangers are on their game, sure, they're a scary team, but whens that, once every 5 games? Even more? I really don't think your argument is good enough. Sure, getting into the playoffs, anything can happen. But teams that play with more intensity and heart than us (which is most out there, even the Islanders for christ sake, they just suck but at least the effort is there every night), will kill us out there.

Did you watch Ottawa play the last two nights? They shouldn't scare you. In a 7 game series anything can happen. We've proven in every game against them this year that we can play with them. I know you watched those games, so I don't see why you find it so hard to believe.

And yes, I agree with you, this team doesn't play the way it should on a consistent basis. And I understand a lot of people don't like to accept this, but if the team actually makes the playoffs, the entire mentality changes. It shouldn't be like that but it is. JUST GET THERE. Then we'll see what happens. Any one who wants this team to quit right now, and management to quit right now, must really be longing for the past decade of never making the playoffs.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
I agree, let's discuss. What were the fruits of our last purge? It's not like we've got somewhat young superstars on our hands to deal. So what, we pick up a couple of high picks or two? Will the picks turn out to be Marc Staal or Hugh Jessiman?

I think the way a firesale is portrayed is very misleading. Sell off Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Mara, Malik etc and what are we looking at? A bunch of Dubinsky's and Dawes'? Hell no, we're looking at a bunch of A-B level prospects in the minors and juniors, and picks. ****, Leetch got us two European busts and picks. Kovalev - Balej.

Old
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
It's the whole mentality of this fanbase. It never changes. Everyone always wants the opposite of what's going on. People talk about trading players and getting back picks and prospects. What has this organizations track record been over the long haul when it comes to drafting and what not? Do people honestly think that getting rid of some vets (and other than Jagr, there's no vets on this team who will bring back any players/picks of significance...teams know most of these players will retire next year) is going to secure our future? SECURE OUR FUTURE? Is that serious? This team has the potential to beat anyone in this conference. ANYONE. And in a 7 game series, with Lundqvist on his game, I like our chances.

Did you watch Ottawa play the last two nights? They shouldn't scare you. In a 7 game series anything can happen. We've proven in every game against them this year that we can play with them. I know you watched those games, so I don't see why you find it so hard to believe.

And yes, I agree with you, this team doesn't play the way it should on a consistent basis. And I understand a lot of people don't like to accept this, but if the team actually makes the playoffs, the entire mentality changes. It shouldn't be like that but it is. JUST GET THERE. Then we'll see what happens. Any one who wants this team to quit right now, and management to quit right now, must really be longing for the past decade of never making the playoffs.
i agree, but i think if the rangersw can dump shanny and malik for anything, they can pick up another defenceman and not have money roll over to next year.....that would be a good thing and the team would add speed which is needed in the playoffs

Old
02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Games in hand mean nothing until they're played
+1

Who said, "there's a reason they play the games."

Old
02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I agree, let's discuss. What were the fruits of our last purge? It's not like we've got somewhat young superstars on our hands to deal. So what, we pick up a couple of high picks or two? Will the picks turn out to be Marc Staal or Hugh Jessiman?

I think the way a firesale is portrayed is very misleading. Sell off Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Mara, Malik etc and what are we looking at? A bunch of Dubinsky's and Dawes'? Hell no, we're looking at a bunch of A-B level prospects in the minors and juniors, and picks. ****, Leetch got us two European busts and picks. Kovalev - Balej.
ok....i agree, but shanahan isnt doing anything and malik isnt either...i would rather have a chance of another lundqvist than a player that isnt helping the team....thats all im saying

Closed Thread