HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sabres, Thrasers, Rangers, Islander, Panthers who should we be worried about??

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 02:33 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Sabres, Thrasers, Rangers, Islander, Panthers who should we be worried about??

All this team have very good chance of passing us, but rangers who have the superior talent are getting buried deep down, while Sabres are getting new life, while Panthers have very strong chance as long as Luongo is there, and finally Thrasers, who have just made themselves whole lot better after Heatly return, How do you guys think this will play out, which team is ready to break out, and possibly put us out of Playoff, I'm worried as hell but this teams are not taking advangate most of them aren't putting up big winning streak, but so are we with so hard schedule coming up its gone get interesting around this board, hope you guys are ready for the last push from all this teams to knock us off the playoff spot.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Habber

I'm not worried about how other teams are doing, just how we're doing. We've got enough of a lead that if we play solid, slightly above .500 hockey the rest of the season we'll be in.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:43 AM
Mike8

The Islanders are the team to be weary of.

I think the Rangers are too dysfunctional to get it together.

Heatley's going to take awhile to get back in full stride, and Kovalchuk is starting to tire out by the looks of it. Atlanta's D is abysmal and goaltending shaky. Hard to be positive about their chances.

Buffalo is an interesting possibility. Biron has always struck me as being a good, but streaky goaltender. If he gets hot--as he has been--he could help push Buffalo towards the playoffs. It'd be a stretch, though. Buffalo's defense is terrible after the first pairing, and there isn't much of an offense there. The Sabres are also considerably behind in the playoff race.

Florida should be concerned about Luongo. He's been great but, he's on pace to play 72 games--far more than he's ever played before. He will get tired at some point, or they'll have to play Shields. Neither scenario bodes well for Florida's chances.

I'm not one to make predictions all that often, but I'd be willing to bet that things remain the same as they are now with Montreal and the Islanders in 7th and 8th place respectively, then seeing Montreal face either Philly or NJ in the first round while the Isles face up against the Sens.

Another intriguing possibility is if Montreal beats Boston and leapfrogs them in the standings, then the Habs would get to play the Lightning in the opening round. Definitely a better matchup for Montreal than the Flyers or Jersey.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:42 AM
Corey

Definitely the Islanders. I would have included the Rangers, but now they're too decimated to catch up. No Lindros, de Vries, or Kasparaitis.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:04 AM
Go Habs Go

Rangers depending on how Jagr performs there. Islanders are also a threat, if they can still healthy, they would be an even bigger threat. The key for us is to forget about them and continue getting the key wins.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Greetings from Boston, hope you all don't mind me posting here.

I have to tell you, Buffalo has really impressed me this season. I use to hate watching any Sabres games, I considered them yawners in the past, but this year, they are playing with heart and passion. This team is really exciting to watch, and I have to say, I would fear them pretty soon, if they keep playing as well as they are.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:11 PM
Habs4ever

Well they did add Drury, Brier from last year who are leading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
Greetings from Boston, hope you all don't mind me posting here.

I have to tell you, Buffalo has really impressed me this season. I use to hate watching any Sabres games, I considered them yawners in the past, but this year, they are playing with heart and passion. This team is really exciting to watch, and I have to say, I would fear them pretty soon, if they keep playing as well as they are.
Scorer, so I would say they are better then last year just by acquiring those two players.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Scorer, so I would say they are better then last year just by acquiring those two players.
I love watching Briere play. He is terrific! The kid never stops playing, no matter what the score.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:51 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I'm not worried about how other teams are doing, just how we're doing. We've got enough of a lead that if we play solid, slightly above .500 hockey the rest of the season we'll be in.
My thoughts exactly, we need to play well and win games to make it to the playoffs and let the other teams take care of themselves.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
Rangers depending on how Jagr performs there. Islanders are also a threat, if they can still healthy, they would be an even bigger threat. The key for us is to forget about them and continue getting the key wins.
It's too late for the Rangers. They're missing three of their four top defensemen, and Lindros may not return. They would have to win almost 2 out of every 3 games to make the playoffs, assuming the Habs and Isles don't go into free fall.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
All this team have very good chance of passing us.
I can't say I agree with this comment. The Islanders yes but the other teams are gonna have to get their act together if they are going to catch us. As someone else already said, all we need to do is play at least .500 hockey and we will get in. And honestly I'm not worried about the teams below us and I think that we a legit shot at catching a team or two ahead of us. On TSN last night during the MAc Attack, Duffie asked Bob if the Habs will make the playoffs and he said "Absolutely" couldn't of said it better myself

Old
02-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I am really getting scared of Buffalo. They have alot of forward depth and if they can get a guy like Afinogenov or Pyatt playing up to their talent level on a consistent basis along with an already decent enough top 6 of Briere-Dumont-Drury-Satan-Kotalik-Hecht and with Biron playing on fire, they could definitely be a scary team down the stretch. Yes, I know their defence is a bit of a weakness but great goaltending can overcome that. That's why the next 2 games are must wins against 2 of the worst teams in the league. We MUST put these points in the bank. I don't feel comfortable being only 6 up on Buffalo as we are right now.

Isles are scary but they already have a PO spot, could they overtake us? definitely. Their goaltending has been super, their top 4 on defence is very good and they seem to just have enough offence.

Thrashers don't scare me at this point. Hartley played guys like Kovalchuk, Savard and Kozlov to death early in the year and the 2 russians have really slowed down because of it right now. They have huge defensive issues and their goaltending is just OK.

The Panthers you always think they have a legit chance because of Luongo but their such an abysmal defensive team with little grit up front(especially with Horton out) that Luongo isn't enough. Any team that has Audette on their top line is in trouble. :p

Finally...The Rangers. You would love to think they are done right now but with so much talent on that roster, you never can truly count them out. Plus they should be getting DeVries and Malakhov back and you know Sather will do something big again to try and save his job. But they have failed for 6 years in a row, why would it change now?

Old
02-01-2004, 02:28 AM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
What team?

The team I think we should be worried about is indeed Montreal.

I will be interested to see how they look after the All-Star break, who is healthy and who is still in The Big Show.

How we respond to the recent losses and who gets CJ's nod to play what lines.

Montreal controls it's on fate

Old
02-01-2004, 05:10 AM
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
The team I think we should be worried about is indeed Montreal... Montreal controls it's on fate
Ain't that the truth! There's nothing we can do but focus on our own game with the mindset to win each and every game. One at a time. Its icing when we get outside help, checking out the out-of-town scoreboard, but that's certainly something we can't rely on. However unlikely it may seem, any of those teams mentioned still have a good shot at displacing us or a few others from the playoffs, and like always, it'll go down to the very last game for some. An extended winning/losing streak changes the standings significantly and we really need to buckle down and take more advantage of our situation. We've blown some points along the way but all we can do is ensure that we've learned our lessons well and not make those same mistakes. I like the effort I saw against Boston and hope, with that spark Begin adds, that this game signifies the start of our run. Praise be to the Habs.

Closed Thread