HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why The Pathetic Lindros Bashing?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Davisian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
What an excellent use of conjecture and fabrication to support an argument.
Have we been studying our english lessons??.. What a good boy.. Yes you are, you're a good boy..

Just curious, which part was fabrication and which part was conjecture??

You'll get the lollipop and gold star either way, this is just for extra credit..

Old
01-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Bure9*

I absolutely hated the SOB when he was on the Flyers. Lindros AND Stevens for that matter, had it coming.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:34 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Newsflash: Their both on-screen, entertainment entities. Do you KNOW the players? Do you know the bashers? Do you think any of these people really hope and pray for a real person to get hurt? Do you think entertainers care about you personally?

Then shut up.
Newsflash: When a character dies on screen in a movie the actor isn't really dead. In hockey when a guy gets hurt, it really happens to a real person (although some would argue there's some pretty good actors in the NHL).

Old
01-29-2004, 05:40 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Newsflash: When a character dies on screen in a movie the actor isn't really dead. In hockey when a guy gets hurt, it really happens to a real person (although some would argue there's some pretty good actors in the NHL).
A player getting hurt is = an actor portraying DEATH. It SHOULD have the same effect in a persons life. If it doesn't, the person is too far gone to bring back to reality.

People cheering for a bad guy getting killed in Hollywood = people being happy when a hated player gets injured. See above.

Movies=sports=entertainment

Old
01-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Wow! What a bunch of psycho-fans. Not the ones bashing him, the ones whining about them.

There a lots of reasons people don't like him and NONE of these people actually know him. It's like cheering a bad guy in a movie getting killed, you cheer. It's not personal to the actual player.

By the way he has hurt/cheap-shotted plenty in his career, it just depends if you're a fan of his or not.

As a Flyer fan I don't like him because of how he went out of that organization. He blamed them IN THE MEDIA for his problems before talking to management. That is why I don't care if he gets another concussion. The writing has been on the wall with his brothers problems and then his own. I don't know if it's him or his agent/daddy who makes him come back for more. As a father I would not have condoned he keep playing after the Stevens hit if not sooner.

When he is sitting around forgetting he has millions of dollars are any of his "supporters" going to be there wiping the spit from his chin? You won't care then so why do you care now?
Yeah, only difference is in a movie after the bad guy gets shot he gets up and goes home to his family. Lindros gets up and is liable to spend most of the rest of his life with pcs. I would hope most fans cheer/boo players on the ice, but have the intelligence to realize that injuries are real and they should never be cheered.
Do you really think that all the 'bad' things Lindros has done means he deserves a concussion? Feel free to blast him all you like for what he did in Philly, but to 'not care' that a premier player, nay another human being, recieves a concussion is pretty sad...

Old
01-29-2004, 05:46 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Dislike is one thing.. Hell, I didn't like him as a Flyer, but cheering a concussion is just sad..

On a semi-related note.. Almost every HF member/Ranger Fan saw this coming, and is the precise reason nobody liked the trade..

My respect for Lindros has increased immensly, but Glen Sather went against all advice and put his eggs in this basket, and it should cost him his job..
I did'nt sais it was'nt sad...

I just know how poeple are and this, combined with the stupidity Lindros did in his carreer, can easily explain the all that cheering around the fact he has getting hurt...

That said, I'll never cheer for an injury!!!

BJ21

Old
01-29-2004, 05:51 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
A player getting hurt is = an actor portraying DEATH. It SHOULD have the same effect in a persons life. If it doesn't, the person is too far gone to bring back to reality.

People cheering for a bad guy getting killed in Hollywood = people being happy when a hated player gets injured. See above.

Uhhhh no. That's an incredibly insensitive and narrowminded point of view.

When something happens in a movie it is *acting*, the actors are pretending to be hurt. When a guy gets serious injury on the football field or at the rink, a real person just got concussed. Who cares if I am a personal friend of his or not? Another human being may have just lost his life. Just because they're both on TV doesnt make them equal.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:56 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:

When something happens in a movie it is *acting*, the actors are pretending to be hurt. When a guy gets serious injury on the football field or at the rink, a real person just got concussed. Who cares if I am a personal friend of his or not? Another human being may have just lost his life. Just because they're both on TV doesnt make them equal.
Just adding something...

Those have have already suffer a concusion knows what a Pain in the a$$ it is!!!

Please stop chearing for that...

BJ21

Old
01-29-2004, 05:59 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:

Earth to loveshack. Come in loveshack!

My God! We've lost him! Trapped in the blur of fantasy and reality.

A persons emotional attachment to an actor or athelete should be similar if not the same. The difference it makes in YOU'RE personal life should be equal. What happened to Lindros is part of the game. Talking smack is part of life.

This isn't nearly the first time he's had a concussion. Are fans supposed to mourn every time a glass jawed player gets hurt? Get over it.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Loup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
WOW!!! the most blatant case of "pot calling the kettle black" I have ever seen, Mr. 3000 posts, more than probably 90% of the posters in here.

Please, oh please, if you wanna defend your boy Lindros, at least have something of substance to say.

That being said, I hate Lindros as much as the next guy, but i don't like seeing anybody getting hurt, I'll wait til he gets healthy to bad mouth him.

Big ups to that comment

Old
01-29-2004, 06:22 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
A persons emotional attachment to an actor or athelete should be similar if not the same. The difference it makes in YOU'RE personal life should be equal. What happened to Lindros is part of the game. Talking smack is part of life.
Well wait a minute. Are we talking about actors or the characters they portray? Which is it? Which one of us is trapped in the blur between fantasy and reality?

I have no emotional attachment to Eric Lindros, Ive never been a fan of his and Ive never met the guy. But I certainly care more about what happens to him than to a fictional character in a storybook or movie. Show some maturity.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Trottier
Very Random

What's striking here is that no one is suggesting that we go out and light a candle for every injured player. Hockey, by definition, is a physical, at times dangerous, sport. Anyone who suggests differently is, as you say, in fantasy land.

That said, why the emphatic disdain for anyone expressing an ounce of compassion for another person's well-being? The fact that Eric Lindros doesn't know any of us automatically disqualifies him from receiving any well wishes? For you apparently, yes, which is fine. Others may view life a bit differently. And, as a fan of the sport, one would think the desire would be for the player to get healthy and perform...to our (hockey fans') benefit. So, in that sense, this is no Mother Theresa moment. It's common decency/sense.

If "talking smack" and proud disregard for others is one's M.O., power to you. But understand that others don't share that point of view. For one can just as easily argue that equating acting (and video games, for that matter) and a serious injury that may affect one's livelihood (and well-being) is, in fact, the blurring of fantasy and reality.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:38 PM
M V Pete

Despite the fact that he's a bum and Ranger scum, I really hope he recovers from this concussion. I was at the game last nite (non-biased observer as I bleed Devils red), and didn't realize he was out til after.

Great hit by Doig though. Really laid him out.

It sucks to see him hurt though..... Guess that's how life works... Guy freakin finally starts getting his game back, finally starts becoming a menace again, and whack, done. Just like that.

Horrible to hear...

Old
01-29-2004, 08:11 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Another funny note, Ranger fans are sorry to see Stevens out.. While certain Devil fans relish the latest Lindros concussion.. Shows the difference in class there...
If you're talking about class of player, then yes.

Old
01-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

This is what happens when people don't go outside.

Old
01-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Earth to loveshack. Come in loveshack!

My God! We've lost him! Trapped in the blur of fantasy and reality.

This isn't nearly the first time he's had a concussion. Are fans supposed to mourn every time a glass jawed player gets hurt? Get over it.
Nobody is asking anybody to mourn. There is however a huge difference between emotional apethy, and taking pride in players getting injured. RFK was shot dead on tv. He didn't get up. He was dead. Was that merely for your entertainment to. You are one sick ****.

Old
01-29-2004, 08:45 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
You people are effing pathetic. I really really do not like Lindros (and I'm a Rangers fan) but to chear when someone suffers their 8th concussion is not only immature but it shows what type of person you are.

Would you people all still be cheering if it would have been Lindros in the car with Danny Heatley? Would he have gotten what he deserved?

You people really are pathetic,desperatly are in need of a reality check and need to grow up.

Old
01-29-2004, 08:51 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
Let me add one more:

C) He keeps risking his own health, and our time, by coming back again and again.

That's basically what I said in the NYR-Was game thread. This had a great chance of happening. He plays a "I can dish it out, but I don't expect you to hit me" kind of game. He should have never came back. His situation is like Steve Young's; a solid hit has a great chance of rattling his brain. Is it the fans fault that the Big E can't walk away? I don't want to hear about the "he's a good guy" crap, he should think about his family and loved ones who might have to change his diapers in a few years if he doesn't let the game go now.

With that said, I've never loved the guy. That's because of all the reasons already explained.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
I'm absolutely amazed how many people on the HF boards are bashing Lindros and i don't get it. The "He Got What He Deserved" garbage and "Will He Ever Learn To Keep His Head Up" are in such poor taste. Whether you like the guy,his family or not is irrelavent but the fact that some of you are saying he got what he desreved is obsurd.
I didn't know he had a concussion when I posted that. In fact, as I was posting, he came back on the ice and got himself in a fight.

Doesn't sound like a man overly concerned with the health of his noggin. But the way he plays, you want to smack him upside the head (gently of course) and say "PAY ATTENTION". I actually like Lindros.

Wasn't trying be obsurd to the undesreved.

Old
01-29-2004, 10:08 PM
devildan

Its a shame to see Lindros hurt ... especially at a time where he was playing great.

Old
01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
I didn't know he had a concussion when I posted that. In fact, as I was posting, he came back on the ice and got himself in a fight.

Doesn't sound like a man overly concerned with the health of his noggin. But the way he plays, you want to smack him upside the head (gently of course) and say "PAY ATTENTION". I actually like Lindros.

Wasn't trying be obsurd to the undesreved.

I wasn't taking a shot at you or anyone in particular my comment was more of a random observation of some of the posts i viewed.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
VO #23

Quote:
Newsflash: Their both on-screen, entertainment entities. Do you KNOW the players? Do you know the bashers? Do you think any of these people really hope and pray for a real person to get hurt? Do you think entertainers care about you personally?

Then shut up.
Well, you've already been raked over the coals on this subject by others. Hopefully you realize how truly out to lunch you are.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
How

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonez
I agree Im so mad at them. I wish they would get suspended from wathcing icehockey for 75 years :mad:
And Doig should get suspended for 50 years from NHL :mad:

Im so sad for Lindros sake, he has done so much good but just got ***** back and some of the NHL players are so filthy human beings (Stevens *spit* Doig *spit*). They can just go to hell.

about you consider watching badmitton. This isn't icecapades.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:53 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
I'm absolutely amazed how many people on the HF boards are bashing Lindros and i don't get it. The "He Got What He Deserved" garbage and "Will He Ever Learn To Keep His Head Up" are in such poor taste. Whether you like the guy,his family or not is irrelavent but the fact that some of you are saying he got what he desreved is obsurd.

The guy has played great,for the most part,this season and give him credit for doing all he can to play the game he obviously loves. Funny,most of you bashed him when he played along the outside and now he tys to play his "power" forward style that made him a great offensive weapon and he gets bashed somemore.

As far as him keeping his head up if you watch the play he was and just put his head down for half a sec because the puck got away from him and he got nailed. It's no different then any other player who'd lose control of the puck for a sec and than looks down. In the past Lindros would skating around with his head down alot but this play was not one of them. If he just lets the puck go then everyone starts with "he's no longer a force"crap. So,you can't have it both ways and hammer at him no matter what.

Regardless,most of you guys should get off the guys back and actually pat the Big E on the back for trying to become the force he once was instead of just floating around and collecting his paycheque. Here's hoping he's OK and can come back soon.

I agree that the Lindros bashing is crass and juvenile and not justified.
But Lindros has always acted like he was bigger than the game and rubbed fans the wrong way. So I'm not surprised to see fans take some pleasure at his latest folly.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:22 AM
19 for president

vCash: 562
Taking pleasure in anyone getting seriously hurt is just sick. While I do think Lindross was partially at fault since he did know that this could happen. I am also one of the many who thinks he should have retired. With that said though no one deserves to be injured, and I wish him the best of luck in his recovery. I mean I wouldn't even wish serious injury on Claude Lepuke who I can't stand.

BTW comparing something fictional like a character on tv or in a movie to an actually person is really rreeeeaaaaallly stupid. A character is not a real person if they die the person that actually plays them is not dead. If a sports player gets hurt or dies he/she actually is dead or hurt. Its just a tiny bit different!!!!!!! :mad:

Closed Thread