HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Typical 1460-The Big Show

Old
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Nordique

vCash: 500
Typical 1460-The Big Show

Same old, same old from Hooley and Co. today on the big show. The Jackets are down and out, and Spielman and Hooley couldn't resist getting a couple kicks in. Same old crap, *****ing about the lack of effort, the no show by the team since the all star break, the lack of hunger for the playoffs...........all somewhat legitimate knocks I might add, but..... When it comes to talking about fixing this thing, and what direction the organization should take, they clam up and move on.

They don't care about seeing the organization succeed, nor do they pay a bit of attention to the CBJ when times are good. All they want is a whipping boy, something local to rag on so they don't feel like such homers when they nutcup Mada and Tressel 50 times a day.

Usually Herby will jump in with some constructive criticism and give his 2 cents about making the team better, but he was off today and Spielman, between taking pot shots at Hitchcock, was getting his *****ing in about how it takes effort to make the playoffs...you know like the extra effort and his teammates put out for 8 seasons in Detroit, over which time the Lions were sub .500 despite having arguably the best running back in the league at that time. Spielman was a great player, on some ****** teams, and should know first hand that it takes that "effort" to win in a professional league where talent is tantamount to every team's success. He may have made the playoffs a couple years, but he spent more years playing on the laughing stock of the NFC Central.

This team overachieved up to the all star break...picked to finish 15th in the league by most analyst(Hockey analyst, not ex football players that watch a few games). Now we're crashing, and I won't say the effort is there because clearly it wasn't last night, but the core of the issue is that this team needs retooled, and I don't see that happening until the offseason when 5 or 6 UFA's will shipped out of town, core players resigned, and a handpicked bunch of new personnel courted with the 10-15 million freed up expiring those UFA contracts.

When the Big Show gives as much attention and coverage to the October 2007 Blue Jackets as they do the February 2008 Blue Jackets, I'll be impressed. Until then, its the same old use of the team as a whipping post as its always been.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Byrral

And that's different from this board in what way?

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Well for starters you don't have to look beyond the first couple threads to find posters giving actual input on what they think would make the team better, as oppose to just running them in the ground and bashing the coach for the team's lack of effort. Like this thread...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=478037

I know we have some guys that love misery and love to come down hard on the team, but even those guys occasionally will have an opinion on what the team needs to be successful.

Old
02-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Well for starters you don't have to look beyond the first couple threads to find posters giving actual input on what they think would make the team better, as oppose to just running them in the ground and bashing the coach for the team's lack of effort. Like this thread...

I know we have some guys that love misery and love to come down hard on the team, but even those guys occasionally will have an opinion on what the team needs to be successful.
Sorry Nordique. I forgot the

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Sorry Nordique. I forgot the
np, I'd like to see us win Detroit and grab a couple more in Eastern Canada just to see how little coverage the team would get as a result on the Big Show next week.

Old
02-14-2008, 08:37 PM
213 Sentinel

They must be good for somebody, because people from this board keep listening to them and starting threads about how crappy they are.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
They must be good for somebody, because people from this board keep listening to them and starting threads about how crappy they are.
It's the kind of thing you'll flip on(while my XM is in the shop, at least), and hope to hear something good. Occasionally you can get that... typically with Herbstreit and Torgersen. The unfortunate part is that they're with Spielman, Hooley, and Ricordati.

I agree with everything you said, Nordique. I really don't even want to get start on Ricordati or Hooley. As far as Spielman... I think his major problem is that he approaches every sport like it's supposed to be football. Being tired or having a lack of effort might simply be an excuse when you play once a week. Has he ever played a sport where you play 3 games in 4 nights in 3 time zones?

Shoot, I'm tired throughout the day when I have to be up before 10 AM. In the NFL, yes, one loss, one off week, can be the difference between the playoffs or not. The NHL is a totally different game, not even taking into account the fact that it's totally based on points. Yes, a 2-1-2 means the team hasn't won more games than they've lost. However, they have gained more than half of their possible points. That is above .500 in hockey. I realize football doesn't require any math.

Not to mention, it wasn't until last week that he asked for confirmation on if the NHL plays an 82 game schedule.

Look, I have no problem with them wanting to talk hockey, or even bash the Jackets(right now they deserve some of it), but at least be somewhat educated if you're going to act as an authority and when you know people listen to your words in a public setting.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Mr Mac

I heard some of the show yesterday before the game, and today after the game. It was galling. They were harsh. I have a hard time believing the Blue Jackets organization is very happy with 1460. Would it surprise anyone if the team chose another affiliate? Not me. I hope someone at WBNS is listening to these gentleman and writing memos. I don't mind them being critical, but they were making fun of the team, which in my book is over the line.

Chris Spielman is a hard ass, has-been, who played on an awful pro team, and who's "I don't know much about hockey but here comes my opinion" act has grown old. If he hadn't played for OSU he'd be selling insurance in Detroit. I don't enjoy listening to him.

This, friends, is the state of radio today, especially as it relates to "talk radio." It suffers from the same disease that this board sometimes does. Namely, uninformed opinion dressed up as insight. The difference being, none of us gets paid to share our ignorance.

I used to complain about 1460's signal being weak. But perhaps this is a good thing.

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 12:14 AM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
I heard some of the show yesterday before the game, and today after the game. It was galling. They were harsh. I have a hard time believing the Blue Jackets organization is very happy with 1460. Would it surprise anyone if the team chose another affiliate? Not me. I hope someone at WBNS is listening to these gentleman and writing memos. I don't mind them being critical, but they were making fun of the team, which in my book is over the line.

Chris Spielman is a hard ass, has-been, who played on an awful pro team, and who's "I don't know much about hockey but here comes my opinion" act has grown old. If he hadn't played for OSU he'd be selling insurance in Detroit. I don't enjoy listening to him.

This, friends, is the state of radio today, especially as it relates to "talk radio." It suffers from the same disease that this board sometimes does. Namely, uninformed opinion dressed up as insight. The difference being, none of us gets paid to share our ignorance.

I used to complain about 1460's signal being weak. But perhaps this is a good thing.
Great post... I listen to them a lot but agree that their signal is so weak that no one picks them up. They probably even have trouble hearing themselves in the booth after football season is over. Their opinion is largely ignored.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Are you sure it's just talk radio? Because it sounds like ESPN at times, too. Or if you want to go beyond sports, a lot of the stuff on the 24-hour news networks.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 07:12 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Let me begin by saying I hate Hooley. His knowledge is anything OSU and anything Cleveland. He ignored the Jackets when they were doing good and is happy to be throwing dirt on them (and hockey in general) now. In the stations defense, they did have Portzline on Monday at 6. They do have the Hitch call in show Wednesday and between the Pipes Sunday.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Halfboard
New Look

Spielman still hasn't gotten over his butt buddy Richardson not being on the team....................

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
mossylog
Go jackets

one quick question about spielman, what has he done in the sports world? played at ohio state? so, i'm not a football expert but did they win anything during his time there? in the nfl did he win anything there? if i remember (probably not) but i don't think he has won anything of importance. so i think 1460 should shut him up about anything other than football, and that should be limited as well. as far as the others (1460 people) if you haven't got the expertise in whatever sport topic is up, shut up about it. i'm sure between rimer,gare,matthews,davidge,day etc someone can call in or show up and talk about hockey with some knowledge and constructive discussion, good or bad. i used to go through arguments about how football or basketball is THE sports and soccer is for p----s, when i was in high school and out in the world. ignorance. its time for the jackets to get a real affiliate and have real hockey shows and not just about the jackets but around the league.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:25 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossylog View Post
its time for the jackets to get a real affiliate and have real hockey shows and not just about the jackets but around the league.
On what sports radio station in Columbus?

This isn't Canada, football sells....hockey doesn't, just accept it.

02-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossylog View Post
one quick question about spielman, what has he done in the sports world? played at ohio state? so, i'm not a football expert but did they win anything during his time there? in the nfl did he win anything there? if i remember (probably not) but i don't think he has won anything of importance. so i think 1460 should shut him up about anything other than football, and that should be limited as well. as far as the others (1460 people) if you haven't got the expertise in whatever sport topic is up, shut up about it. i'm sure between rimer,gare,matthews,davidge,day etc someone can call in or show up and talk about hockey with some knowledge and constructive discussion, good or bad. i used to go through arguments about how football or basketball is THE sports and soccer is for p----s, when i was in high school and out in the world. ignorance. its time for the jackets to get a real affiliate and have real hockey shows and not just about the jackets but around the league.
I think he played 10 or 11 seasons in Detroit and Buffalo. He made the probowl a few times, and even made the playoffs a few times, but never won anything big or played in a Superbowl to my knowledge. He walks the walk and I'll give him that...meaning you always got effort from Chris Spielman when he stepped on the field. But he of all people should know that effort will only take you so far. At some point, you need the right talent.

To suggest this team is going to miss the playoffs because of a lack of effort, is hard for me to accept for many reasons, 2 of which are:

1. I believe Hitchcock coached teams will bring more effort over 82 games that most NHL teams will.

2. At the beginning of the season, this team on paper looked like the worst team in the West, and we've been hanging around that 8th seed for 3/4's of the season now.

Old
02-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post

I heard the broadcast too and was upset by it. Not because anything they said was necessarily untrue, but completely uninformed.
If I knew more & was more confident, I would have called in and asked them something along the lines of "Do you think the problem was in the blue line cheating forward in an attempt to generate odd man rushes, or was the lack of forechecking the real issue? Or why was the offensive scheme of the Blackhawks so successful?" Ask those bums some intelligent, technical questions and watch them squirm. If some on this board would call in, it would raise the hockey IQ of those idiots' show exponentially.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:07 AM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
Amen.

Don't turn to the ****ing channel! You can find out everything you need to know about the Jackets on this board. Listen to the game broadcasts on CD101. THERE IS NO REASON TO LISTEN TO 1460 FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO THE JACKETS.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:24 AM
jacks johnson

Hate to break it to you, but they are allowed to have an opinion, just like we do on this board. What are they supposed to do, sugarcote the disaster we all saw against Chicago. This is a team that is right with us in the standings, in our arena, and we get worked. I dont disagree with Speilman/Hooley, that the effort clearly wasnt there. Did we have 1 body check the whole game ? Listen to talk radio after the football buckeyes lose a game, if you want to hear real negativity. Also, to attack Speilman is ridicilous. He talks the talk, but you know what, he walks the walk. He preaches in alot of ways, the same things Hitch does. You may not be the most talented, but you will work your ass off, and give 100 % effort. His career symbolized this motto. Do we have to go back to the Doug Mclean comments of your no hockey expert, so you shouldnt have an opinion ?

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but they are allowed to have an opinion, just like we do on this board. What are they supposed to do, sugarcote the disaster we all saw against Chicago. This is a team that is right with us in the standings, in our arena, and we get worked. I dont disagree with Speilman/Hooley, that the effort clearly wasnt there. Did we have 1 body check the whole game ? Listen to talk radio after the football buckeyes lose a game, if you want to hear real negativity. Also, to attack Speilman is ridicilous. He talks the talk, but you know what, he walks the walk. He preaches in alot of ways, the same things Hitch does. You may not be the most talented, but you will work your ass off, and give 100 % effort. His career symbolized this motto. Do we have to go back to the Doug Mclean comments of your no hockey expert, so you shouldnt have an opinion ?
I think most of the annoyance towards these folks is that the only thing they talk about is "effort" and lack thereof when it happens. I think the only other time I've heard any mention of the Jackets whatsoever this season that WASN'T negative was after Nash's goal in Phoenix. All the rest of the time it's been one of 1) "they suck" or 2) they're not mentioned at all.

Personally, I pretty much lost all tolerance for Columbus-area radio coverage of the Jackets (or lack thereof) after a recent trip to Nashville.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:37 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I think what most people can't stand is when they talk out of there butts and make too general, broad comments... it only shows that they no nothing of what they speak.

That said, I'm glad I work during the Big Show...Herbie is the only one that is tolerable on there. Hooley and Spielman are the biggest homers on the whole station.

I will listen to Mike and Torgy in the afternoons, they are much more level-headed. Tony Castricone is also decent. I think they should seriously consider giving a more permanent-type position to Lori Schmidt as well.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:00 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Speaking for myself, it isnít the negative opinion that bothers me, it is the lack of hockey knowledge that I believe lies behind that opinion. Whatís that saying about a broken clock still being right twice a day?

Right or wrong isnít the issue for me, it is that I believe there are personalities on that radio station that have a piddling knowledge of a major sport in this city that they shouldíve familiarized themselves with a long time ago. There is one person in particular who I believe almost revels in his ignorance of hockey.

I would never ask them to be homers. I only ask them to be educated and Iíve long felt that 1460 has employed and still employs people that seem to have no desire to engage in a serious discussion of hockey but would rather crack jokes and throw out worn out sports cliches and pass that off as their insight.

Thatís what pisses me off.

And lacking satellite radio, 1460 is pretty much the only game in town for sports talk. Props to Jim Rome and the Mark the Shark show though too, both of which I enjoy more than some of 1460ís offerings.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Hooley is complete garbage. Period.

At least Spielman has some twinge of humor in his homerism. Hooley is gawd awful, ignorant, confrontational, argumentive and should be shipped back to the Plain Dealer immediately where he can continue his "Everything Cleveland" Love fest.

I like the Coach's Show, but I'd also like to see some sort of vent show, maybe with Portie?

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 02-15-2008 at 10:35 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Speaking for myself, it isnít the negative opinion that bothers me, it is the lack of hockey knowledge that I believe lies behind that opinion. Whatís that saying about a broken clock still being right twice a day?

Right or wrong isnít the issue for me, it is that I believe there are personalities on that radio station that have a piddling knowledge of a major sport in this city that they shouldíve familiarized themselves with a long time ago. There is one person in particular who I believe almost revels in his ignorance of hockey.

I would never ask them to be homers. I only ask them to be educated and Iíve long felt that 1460 has employed and still employs people that seem to have no desire to engage in a serious discussion of hockey but would rather crack jokes and throw out worn out sports cliches and pass that off as their insight.

Thatís what pisses me off.

And lacking satellite radio, 1460 is pretty much the only game in town for sports talk. Props to Jim Rome and the Mark the Shark show though too, both of which I enjoy more than some of 1460ís offerings.
Well said. Agreed.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Speaking for myself, it isn’t the negative opinion that bothers me, it is the lack of hockey knowledge that I believe lies behind that opinion. What’s that saying about a broken clock still being right twice a day?

Right or wrong isn’t the issue for me, it is that I believe there are personalities on that radio station that have a piddling knowledge of a major sport in this city that they should’ve familiarized themselves with a long time ago. There is one person in particular who I believe almost revels in his ignorance of hockey.

I would never ask them to be homers. I only ask them to be educated and I’ve long felt that 1460 has employed and still employs people that seem to have no desire to engage in a serious discussion of hockey but would rather crack jokes and throw out worn out sports cliches and pass that off as their insight.

That’s what pisses me off.

And lacking satellite radio, 1460 is pretty much the only game in town for sports talk. Props to Jim Rome and the Mark the Shark show though too, both of which I enjoy more than some of 1460’s offerings.
Right, its one of the few choices you have for talk radio on the drive home. Some days I want to know whats going on globally so I tune into WOSU, other days I want sports talk so I tune into 1460 for the Big Show. Its not a question of "why do you listen if they bother you?" for me. Its more a question of, "Why can't my local sports radio talk show put forth more effort when coverage the Blue Jackets?". And furtermore and perhaps more importantly, why is the tone always negative when there have been plenty of highs this season that deserved the same coverage they have given to the lows?

I have been catching Mark the Shark on FM more often and it is an upgrade, but its not an option every day on the drive home.

I should mention that the tone was set for the discussion when they said that Spielman had a bone to pick with CBJ fans, because we offer other reasons for the teams failures rather than simply attributing these losses to a lack of effort. Spielman equates the problems to effort, "Stop blaming Maclean" he said, "Hitch started the problem when he said our loss to LA was impressive".

At this point, I called in and told him imo it IS partly a Maclean issue when the roster we put on the ice every night is 90% determined by the long term veteran contracts he committed this team to. He scoffed at that and termed CBJ fans as "enablers for failure" because we "accept" losses and make excuses for them.

If effort is the issue, than that falls to some extent on the players...the players Maclean signed to long term deals.

Pointing out the lack of production from aging veterans that account for a 1/3 of our payroll isn't "making excuses" its logical reasoning. Fedorov and Foote are good hockey players, but they are collectively 12 million dollars good. Even Beba91 I think would agree that Sergei's salary hurts this team.

Old
02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
forktie

To me, I don't mind when they rip the Jackets. Sure, it gets old, but I understand it. They are venting, they are frustrated, etc.

My problem is that if this team wins 3 games in a row, it gets a mention, and thats about it.... but when they LOSE, you get a couple 15 minute segments on why they are so weak.

The basking in glory needs as much coverage as the wallowing in defeat does on that station, whether it be more or less of both. Just my opinion.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote