HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In the upcoming draft....

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
When In Doubt......

Take The Best Player Available!!!

Old
01-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Just one slight disagreement, Barker > Coburn, no doubt IMO, Barker is really getting a bad rap lately, I don't understand why, I'd probably take Phaneuf over him, I'm not sure about Suter (I don't see him much) but Barker is really getting underrated, if he drops to the 10-15 range someone is going to get a real steal.
Even if Barker is as good as Coburn and co., I feel that we will better manage our assets if we take a scorer first and look for a defenseman a little bit later in the draft.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Why draft a goalie in today's market? Johan Hedberg went for a 2nd round pick. Had MA Fleury not gone down to the minors today, I would say give Sebastian Caron a call. Goalies are in excess in the league since teams can only carry 3 or 4 and Patrick Roy inspired a lot of French-Canadian goalies.

I say we trade to get a goalie from a team looking to move one. Especially a young one. Biron, Noronen, Nurminen, Bierk, Boucher, Aubin, Caron.

Like someone said. Conklin is not a starter. So what happens if we don't resign Salo? JDD? whoever we draft this year as a goalie? We should trade/sign a young goalie out there already (Nurminen being my favourite option with Dafoe and Lehtonen in Atlanta) this off-season to hold the fort for JDD until he's ready. I understand drafting is a good idea for a goalie but it's hard to tell talent these days and goalies are abundant in the league and, IMO, not worth wasting a high pick on.
Here's the thing though. When you draft a goalie today, you're looking 3-5 years down the road. That's the thing with goalies - they're a lot more hit or miss than any other player, so while there may be an abundance of "good" goalies today (not "great" goalies), you never know what may happen in 5 years time.

I think someone mentioned earlier that with good scouting, the goaltender "guessing game" become a little more of a sure thing. And like I mentioned earlier, if you feel you can trade down a few picks and still land your guy, that's just solid asset management.

You should always take the best player availiable, bottom line. If Marek Schwarz is the highest player ranked on your list, you take him, whether that's at 7 or 29.

Ask yourself this: what would you trade to land MA Fleury, or Kari Lehtonen, or Rick DiPietro? Don't underestimate the value of a potential franchise goalie. Whether Schwarz is a franchise goalie or not is up to the scouts.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
When In Doubt......

Take The Best Player Available!!!
And what if every time you step to the podium, you feel the best player is a defenseman.........

Taking strictly the best player available isn't always the best option and will leave you with massive gaps on your team if not corrected for a couple consecutive years.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
And what if every time you step to the podium, you feel the best player is a defenseman.........

Taking strictly the best player available isn't always the best option and will leave you with massive gaps on your team if not corrected for a couple consecutive years.
The odds of that happening are slim.

However, I do see your point. I think it should be stressed that it's much more important to take the BPA in the early rounds, than it is later on.

Besidses, if all you're drafting are defencemen, that means there'll be another team with a shortage of quality defencemen. Having the best players availiable means you have the best trading assets.

You really can't lose.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I feel that if the Oil should choose in the range 5-10 and Barker is still around, we should definitely NOT TAKE HIM. Either Schwartz, if the Oil's scouting staff have a real hard-on for him, or someone who can consistently put the puck in the net should be our choice.

1) D-man take notoriously long to develop. If we get a top ten pick, I don't think that we have the luxury of waiting 5 or 6 years for a d-man to round out his game.

2) As Slats mentioned, this draft seems to be very deep with defenseman and goaltenders. If you are going to make your first three picks a sniper, a goalie and a d-man, it would make more sense to take the sniper first, as the depth in that category falls off much sharper than the other two categories. The difference in talent between the scorer you would pick in the top ten, as opposed to the beginning of the second round seems to be MUCH greater than the difference in talent between the d-man picked in the top ten as opposed to the d-man picked at the beginning of the second round. (Does that make sense???)

3) Prendergast said Barker would be behind Coburn, Suter and Phaneuf on his list if he was eligible last year. Prendergast also said that he felt Barker should go in the top fifteen. Whether he just doesn't want to tip his hand to the rest of the league, or he really feels this way, he doesn't seem that high on the kid. Barker doesn't seem to be the sure bet that some past top-five d-men have been, and there are some high-potential wild-card d-men that will be available in the early second round.

In conclusion, I feel that the Oil will come out of the draft farthest ahead if we use our own first rounder on a legitimate scoring threat, and then Philly's first and our second on the best goalie and defenseman available.

I feel that this is one instance where the BPA theory has some wiggle room in it, as you look at your teams needs and who will still be on the board with your next few picks.

Thoughts????
You can be at my draft table anytime. Except one thing....if Barker is a J-Bo, or Pitkanen in waiting(Which I am not convinced of yet.)...you have to call the name. Again...that is for the scouts to decide. I would take a blueliner in the top ten if I thought he could crack the lineup within two years.

But I agree with the philosophy for this year. Take the sniper in the top 10, they are short supply and the blueline looks to have some studs coming.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:25 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
You can be at my draft table anytime. Except one thing....if Barker is a J-Bo, or Pitkanen in waiting(Which I am not convinced of yet.)...you have to call the name. Again...that is for the scouts to decide. I would take a blueliner in the top ten if I thought he could crack the lineup within two years.

But I agree with the philosophy for this year. Take the sniper in the top 10, they are short supply and the blueline looks to have some studs coming.
The Best Player Available strategy has to be followed for at least the 1st two rounds though. You could be drafting another team's prize and then you have a very strong tradeable asset if you don't have room for that player. With the amount of players getting into the league these days, there are bound to be teams stacked where you are lacking and vice versa. If a goalie is the best player available even at 7th, then yeah, go for them. I just think that, since we may need a Salo-replacement for next season, spending a draft pick on one might be counter-productive BUT, we could always ship away whoever we draft.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:

Ya, I see what you're saying, but I'd be certain my scouts were UNANIMOUSLY DAMN SURE Barker is the goods, and easily the BPA if I were to call him in the top ten. If I'm Prendergast and there's even a 5-3 vote in Barker's favor over a sniper, I swing the hammer the other way.........

I'm very excited, yet apprehensive about this year's draft. Potentially having a top ten pick, and three picks in the top 37????? Those three picks will have a HUGE impact on the future of this franchise.

If we can get a player who can consistently bury his oppurtunities and a future #1 goalie, how huge would that be for the Oil????

Keep Prendergast and the boys in your prayers, guys..........

Old
01-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Lowetide

The whole thing about 'best player available' is that it means different things to different people. I think we as fans mean 'the skill guy who can have an impact', but the definition is wide open, even among NHL teams.

The Oilers definition of bpa is seen through eyes that put a high value on size and grit. They passed four times on Jiri Hudler. They took Niinimaki even though he was rated 50E (I know there were others who were reportedly going to take him in the first round, but he was still a reach pick).

Old
01-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The whole thing about 'best player available' is that it means different things to different people. I think we as fans mean 'the skill guy who can have an impact', but the definition is wide open, even among NHL teams.

The Oilers definition of bpa is seen through eyes that put a high value on size and grit. They passed four times on Jiri Hudler. They took Niinimaki even though he was rated 50E (I know there were others who were reportedly going to take him in the first round, but he was still a reach pick).
What do you think Lain, since the decent defensemen seem to go on and on, would you take the skill guy at 7th(Wolski, Tukonnen etc) and take goalie/defensmen with 29 and 37 or would grab Barker if available?

Old
01-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
What do you think Lain, since the decent defensemen seem to go on and on, would you take the skill guy at 7th(Wolski, Tukonnen etc) and take goalie/defensmen with 29 and 37 or would grab Barker if available?

I think the Oilers will take a forward with the first pick, someone like Alexandre Picard or Lauri Tukonen. speeds mentioned in a previous post that the Oilers always take forwards, and it makes a certain amount of sense that they would do it again.

You're right about the defensemen and goalies being a rich crop (there's some high school goalie that has caught everyone's eye now, I don't remember his name but he's from the US and McKeen's has him in the first round I believe).

Is it reasonable to think the Oilers can come out of the first two rounds with Alexandre Picard, Julien Ellis and a prety good defenseman?

If I had to guess, that's what I think they'll do. Get the skill guy, hope that they can grab for need with the Philly pick and their second rounder.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

You're right about the defensemen and goalies being a rich crop (there's some high school goalie that has caught everyone's eye now, I don't remember his name but he's from the US and McKeen's has him in the first round I believe).
Cory Schneider.

Actually, I apologize bud, I was asking what you would do, not what you think the Oilers would do. Sorry for not phrasing it properly.

As an aside....does anyone realize the Oilers board is 3rd in number of threads and 5th in number of posts on the whole board....INCLUDING NHL Talk and the Lounge?

Last edited by Slats432: 01-30-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old
01-30-2004, 03:27 PM
copperandblue

Does anyone know anything about Rob Schremp?

TSN has him listed fairly high for NA skaters and from what I could dig up on him, he seems like a guy that could be worth following.

He is a 6' center man (not really big but he also doesn't turn 18 until July 1 so maybe there is still some growth left in him) but had 74 pts in 65 games as a rookie in the OHL (winning rookie of the year) then the only stats I could find on him for this year was something like 6 pts in 3 games (an injury maybe?).

If he is injured he may lose some of his standing with the scouts but at the same time he seems to have all sorts of offensive talent. Should he be a guy the Oielrs should be eyeing in the first round?

Does anyone know anything else about him?

Old
01-30-2004, 03:31 PM
pucklove

I hope I'm not intruding, This is my first post so I'm just checking in.
Thanx for your patience .Great board I'll try to be worthy
Go Oillers

Old
01-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklove
Go Oillers
Welcome to the shop....never an intrusion...the more the merrier I always say...

"And if my wife is watching, I'll be home right after the meeting...and keep your stick on the ice."

Old
01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue

TSN has him listed fairly high for NA skaters and from what I could dig up on him, he seems like a guy that could be worth following.

He is a 6' center man (not really big but he also doesn't turn 18 until July 1 so maybe there is still some growth left in him) but had 74 pts in 65 games as a rookie in the OHL (winning rookie of the year) then the only stats I could find on him for this year was something like 6 pts in 3 games (an injury maybe?).

If he is injured he may lose some of his standing with the scouts but at the same time he seems to have all sorts of offensive talent. Should he be a guy the Oielrs should be eyeing in the first round?

Brief information from my limited knowledge.

He got into a bit of a rue with the USNTDP. Jumped ship to the OHL which is why he was left off their WJ team. Demanded a trade from the Missisauga Ice Dogs to London Knights.

Gifted offensively. Scored a beauty goal and created tons of offensive chances in the Top Prospects game. Defensively average to below average.

Top 10 pick talent.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
pucklove

Didn't Jason Spezza also demand/request a trade in his junior career?
His attitude doesn't seem to be in question. Just a thought

Old
01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklove
Go Oillers
<marquee> Welcome to the strangest board in these here parts! </marquee>

Last edited by Allan: 01-30-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-30-2004, 04:01 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue

Good Question. I was wondering the same my self... Maybe his parents are
"big people" cause he is still 17. I also was wondering if anyone know what they
meant that he has an bad attitude and based on what grounds. ?
He sure looked good playing along side Ladd and Comeau. Good effort on that
rush made his skills really standout.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
<marquee> Welcome to the strangest board in these here parts! </marquee>
Allan...looks like you are having problems with your banana...hope you can work that out...

Old
01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
Good Question. I was wondering the same my self... Maybe his parents are
"big people" cause he is still 17. I also was wondering if anyone know what they
meant that he has an bad attitude and based on what grounds. ?
He sure looked good playing along side Ladd and Comeau. Good effort on that
rush made his skills really standout.
The attitude thing is simply because he jumped from the USNTDP to the OHL, then demanded a trade from the Dogs to the Knights. Also tried the lacrosse shot in the Top Prospects game and got called a hot dog.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Allan

Whoo! I got my banana back up!

I'd be a little worried about a guy who is already demanding a trade at 17. What does he do as an encore? The old Yashin "ignore my contract" trick? Anyway, this doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, but I'll be a bit worried unless I hear the whole story, and I doubt I ever will.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:10 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brief information from my limited knowledge.

He got into a bit of a rue with the USNTDP. Jumped ship to the OHL which is why he was left off their WJ team. Demanded a trade from the Missisauga Ice Dogs to London Knights.

Gifted offensively. Scored a beauty goal and created tons of offensive chances in the Top Prospects game. Defensively average to below average.

Top 10 pick talent.
Just the post I was looking for! I am now wondering how much that will impact
his being selected top ten. He is 17 , Hate to see him get tagged as too big
of risk because he does put in a very good effort.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
Just the post I was looking for! I am now wondering how much that will impact
his being selected top ten. He is 17 , Hate to see him get tagged as too big
of risk because he does put in a very good effort.
He was also named OHL rookie of the year last year...

Here is a good article.
http://www.canoe.com/Slam040121/col_dallacosta-sun.html

Old
01-30-2004, 04:32 PM
pucklove

Thanks for the read slats 432. He was exciting to watch (the kind of exciting that oiller fans have been missing). IMO Jason Bonsignore has me gunshy now
Kovalchuk was a hotdog and I'd take him

Closed Thread