HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs may be interested in Fedorov ?

Old
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Fedorov is not even an upgrade on Smolinski, maybe a guy like Gratton if he can play mean and win some faceoffs.
I'm sorry...but not an upgrade on Smolinski? I'm a ****ing upgrade on smokes and I'm 5'6

I'm not ruling out a player like Gratton (who I think would be a nice fit as well) or a Mike Peca for example. The reason why I said it would be a good idea is that he has a ton of playoff experience something that is always valuable.

He could step in for Pleks or Koivu if injured a lot better than most 3rd line C's around the league. Plus as an added bonus, he does have some experience playing D if we needed it.

I understand the other poster that goes to the games says that he is done. But I still think that for the short period of time that we would need him for. He would step up his game and provide exactly what we need.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I'm sorry...but not an upgrade on Smolinski? I'm a ****ing upgrade on smokes and I'm 5'6

I'm not ruling out a player like Gratton (who I think would be a nice fit as well) or a Mike Peca for example. The reason why I said it would be a good idea is that he has a ton of playoff experience something that is always valuable.

He could step in for Pleks or Koivu if injured a lot better than most 3rd line C's around the league. Plus as an added bonus, he does have some experience playing D if we needed it.

I understand the other poster that goes to the games says that he is done. But I still think that for the short period of time that we would need him for. He would step up his game and provide exactly what we need.
I would take Malhotra instead of Fedorov.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
StizzHabs46

Gainey wanted to add some experience to our team. Thus the pick up of Smolinski. Fedorov would be a much,much better player and who in my opinion has more experience/talent than smo.

StizzHabs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystobal View Post
Eklund... nuff said
FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKenzie
Everyone is free to have whatever opinion they want to have of Eklund, or anyone else for that matter, including myself, but if there are people suggesting he fabricated being at the Stanley Cup final as an accredited media member, I can tell you that he was there and accredited. He was in Carolina, he was in Edmonton. I saw him, I talked to him, quite a nice fellow.

Funny story. Sitting around having the media meal before a game in Carolina. An Edmonton radio guy was talking about stuff in general and then started to talk about "that guy who posts rumors on a website" and took a few shots at him even though he couldn't remember his name. Two people at the table knew who the radio guy was talking about -- me and Eklund. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to embarrass him. At first, Eklund didn't say anything, then he said to the radio guy very nicely, "the guy you're talking about is called Eklund and that's me." He and the radio guy actually shared a few laughs and Eklund handled the situation quite well, I thought.

Like I said, you can like him, you can dislike, you can take his stuff as gospel or you can take it as b.s., that's up to you. But he is what he is and, I don't think he tries to be anything else. As a side note, I found him to be much better plugged in during the lockout than he is now, but I can also tell you I go to his site every day because he has good people blogging there. If you want a great daily report on the Flyers, for example, or the Italian soccer team Panaccio's blog is must read. Anyway, I find his site useful, for whatever that is worth and he seems to be a pretty decent fellow, for whatever that is worth.
He gets bashed but he has the connections, if a guy like Bob McKenzie can admit it, so can the bipolar emos here.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
He gets bashed but he has the connections, if a guy like Bob McKenzie can admit it, so can the bipolar emos here.
I don't care if Bob McKenzie or Jesus Christ himself were backing him up.

He's Eklund and I don't take anything he has to say or write seriously.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I don't care if Bob McKenzie or Jesus Christ himself were backing him up.

He's Eklund and I don't take anything he has to say or write seriously.
You don't have to, I don't care for hockey rumors at all, it should all be taken with a grain of salt (or a kilo of cocaine). But to say he doesn't have connections, when the most respected guy in hockey says he does is idiotic.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Has not played in the playoffs since 2002-03, can't point that out to you as much as I have!!!

An offensive force...once again let me please introduce 2002-2003 to you, he had 31 goals in 2003-2004, but was 20 points under a PPG.

Your value and what you think Fedorov will bring to this team is no where close to what he would actually bring.
Who cares if he hasn't been there since 2002-03? He still has 162 games of playoffs experience, more than Koivu and Kovalev combined. Should we diminish the accomplishments of those two because of that?

When we got Kovy in 2003-04 he hadn't been in the playoffs in 4 years, that didn't hurt him at all nor did the fact that he was having a piss poor year when we got him.

What about Selanne? He had poor years before he went to the Ducks and abolutely dominated.

Rod Brind'Amour had 4 seasons without playoffs and he dominated on Carolina's cup run.

What's the big problem about getting Fedorov? He'd come cheap and he could have a similar impact as the time we got Kovalev. The guy is one of the best players of our generation and a future HOFer. Considering the young inexperienced talent on this team he would make a huge difference.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
ohiohabsfan

Quote:
I don't think anyone in their right mind would be expecting the "Detroit" Fedorov here.

If and it's a big IF we were looking to add Fedorov it would be as a 3rd line C and potential back up to our top 2 centerman. We aren't expecting a superstar, only an upgrade on who we currently have playing that role.

Thanks for your opinion though, it's always nice to hear from fans that actually get a chance to watch the players on a regular basis.
I am not sure he'd be any upgrade over Smolinski.

If he is, it wouldn't be enough to justify dealing anything of any significance.

ohiohabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I would take Malhotra instead of Fedorov.

Actually I wouldn't be against adding Malhotra he would fit in nicely. Also he is a Mississauga guy like myself.

IMO Fedorov would add just a little bit more then Malhotra overall.

Old
02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
This is a guy who is a playoff performer, over a PPG. God forbid Koivu goes down with an injury, who would you rather step up of Fedorov, Holik or Halpern? We know the offensive force Fedorov can be. Adding Fedorov can solve many problems, 3rd line shutdown centre, Top 6 replacement incase of injury, 2nd unit PP help, even a replacement on defence due to injury.

He's expensive, yes around $2 million by the deadline. But the team would still have $2 million left to spend, plus the salary they get rid of in trading assets.
We might as well sign Henri Richard, he has a ton of cups and probably has more left in the tank than Fedorov.

I hope for the love of god we don't trade a high pick or good prospect for this guy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
le_sean

Quote:
We might as well sign Henri Richard, he has a ton of cups and probably has more left in the tank than Fedorov.

I hope for the love of god we don't trade a high pick or good prospect for this guy.
Right because that makes ****ing sense. Way to make an idiotic comment that has no relevance.

Old
02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Right because that makes ****ing sense. Way to make an idiotic comment that has no relevance.
It is VERY relevant...adding over the hill players at the deadline doesn't suddenly improve your team. Just look at guys like Guerin Tkachuk Forsberg last year, and they have more left in the tank than Fedorov.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Fedorov > Smoke.
That doesnt take much ... with all the respect for Sergei I'd rather have Chipchura.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohabsfan View Post
I am not sure he'd be any upgrade over Smolinski.

If he is, it wouldn't be enough to justify dealing anything of any significance.
It's not that Smolinkski is a horrible player he does alright. But Fedorov even though he's no longer great at any one thing. He does give us a lot of flexibility, which is something that Smokes does not currently provide.

I don't think we would be willing to give up anymore then say a low draft pick + mid level prospect. I'm not sure what Columbus would be looking for if they decide to deal Fedorov.

Old
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
That doesnt take much ... with all respect to Sergei I'd rather have Chipchura.
I really like Chipchura too, but not as my 3rd line center during a run in the playoffs this year.

Old
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
le_sean

Quote:
It is VERY relevant...adding over the hill players at the deadline doesn't suddenly improve your team. Just look at guys like Guerin Tkachuk Forsberg last year, and they have more left in the tank than Fedorov.
Forsberg played at a PPG for Nashville. He and Radulov were the only ones that showed up that series.

Guerin was NEVER a playoff performer, not even at 0.5 per game.

Tkachuk helped Atlanta A LOT on their run and in the playoffs. He and Dupuis were the only two to show up against a team they were heavily outmatched against.

How about looking at facts before posting.

Oh and for those who say Fedorov had a poor year point wise last year, I hope you realize the majority of his time he was playing on defence. Just shows you his versatility.

Old
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Really not sure what he could add at this age. He does have the playoff experience but meh...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Oh and for those who say Fedorov had a poor year point wise last year, I hope you realize the majority of his time he was playing on defence. Just shows you his versatility.
Fedorov was on defense for two reasons:
1. He had tendonitis in one elbow and the other had been hyper-extended in a game in January 2007 in San Jose. Hard to take face-offs with two bad elbows.
2. Our defense at the time was devastated with injuries.

Fedorov makes a good 2nd line center for us. We don't have a 1st line center, just a bunch of guys who try hard but are completely over their heads. We do have 6 guys who could be 3 or 4 line centers on the roster. Brassard should eventually be the top guy, but we should wait awhile for that to happen.

Fedorov has been skating with the team and is expected to return to the line-up (hopefully) on Sunday. He hasn't played since (I think) 1/17.

He has been missed in the line-up, even though CBJ fans were complaining about him (mostly due to point production vs salary) it is very obvious that the Jackets need someone with his skill set. He had been playing some on the power play, he can be a point man. Our power play sucks (but has been getting better - wouldn't take much) so I don't know whether that matters or not.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Fedorov was on defense for two reasons:
1. He had tendonitis in one elbow and the other had been hyper-extended in a game in January 2007 in San Jose. Hard to take face-offs with two bad elbows.
2. Our defense at the time was devastated with injuries.

Fedorov makes a good 2nd line center for us. We don't have a 1st line center, just a bunch of guys who try hard but are completely over their heads. We do have 6 guys who could be 3 or 4 line centers on the roster. Brassard should eventually be the top guy, but we should wait awhile for that to happen.

Fedorov has been skating with the team and is expected to return to the line-up (hopefully) on Sunday. He hasn't played since (I think) 1/17.

He has been missed in the line-up, even though CBJ fans were complaining about him (mostly due to point production vs salary) it is very obvious that the Jackets need someone with his skill set. He had been playing some on the power play, he can be a point man. Our power play sucks (but has been getting better - wouldn't take much) so I don't know whether that matters or not.
Anyone with an Oscar the Grouch picture as their avatar is always welcome.

Thanks for the indepth description.

Old
02-15-2008, 04:16 PM
StanAjax

I'd take Fedorov any day of the week. Mainly because of the player he once was in Detroit, but also because I believe he would not cost us any roster players or blue-chip prospects, unlike a Jokinen. He would not be a distraction like Forsberg could be, too.

A Plekanec-Koivu-Fedorov combo down the middle for a playoff run looks very strong on paper. Not too flashy, but a lot of hockey smarts here.

I'd welcome a sound 4th d-man or a winger capable of kindling the Koivu-Higgins line before Fedorov though.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 04:48 PM
redmachine54

In a third line role, I'd love to see Fedorov here. Also, the difference between Fedorov and Guerin, Forsberg, and Tkachuk is that he isn't going to be expected to put up first-second line numbers. The offensive boost Fedorov would bring wouldn't be much, but it's the defensive boost on a team weak at center that I'm looking for.

I'd give up no more than a second round pick, though, and that's at most. That, or a Corey Locke type player, who really has no future with this team (since Fedorov's got no future with Columbus).

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Man i know hes older, waaay past his prime

but i have over 200+ plus hockey cards of Fedorov from whem i was a kid

the Man is my Idol. If he ever, for a second dawns a montreal canadiens jersey, i dont even care if we dont win the cup, i can die happy...well...id really like that cup...

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 05:18 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgins2121 View Post
federov would be perfect now we will have also forwards who can d
Lol that was good

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esker11 View Post

I was told awhile back that if Columbus falls out of it Fedorov would be traded. I was told this by three sources I trust, and told it in a way that was so definite I asked one of them, "Does this mean that Columbus may already know where they could move him if they chose to?"
Larry, Curly, and Moe

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
OMG, you dropped the F bomb before the words "upgrade" and "smokes". You're insulting all kinds of upgrade, smoke, and the whole Smolinski ancestry.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote