HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT(#60): 2/16/2008 Buffalo Sabres @ New York Rangers 1pm MSG

Old
02-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Forever Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Yes. But certain players/people do not play a physical game and that's fine. If you play a solid game you don't need to have a physical game. Not every hockey player is physical.

Even if Malik did hit, who's to say he has the strength or mindset to hit correctly or hard? Obviously every hockey player is strong but certain players do not have the strength or balance to hit like a Phaneuf, etc.
He obviously isn't that type of player. But with his size and absolute lack of speed, he's not going to be successful playing as if he's 5'11 or 6'0. Especially since his intelligence when controlling the puck is poor to say the least.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 10:38 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunklee View Post
if malik was in the - but i didnt really notice him doing anything wrong i wouldnt care. its only when he is the obvious reason for a goal being scored or what have you, but never will i call him out just because he was a - even if he didnt look bad that game.

he does deserve it, and if he hasnt why has renney been benching him over the great strudwick? sure he played solid today, but i need to see him build on that for more than one game before i change my opinion on him.
There is just about nobody in the NHL (except maybe Simon) that deserves to be boo'ed from his own team.

There is absolutely NO reason for that. Especially when the guy is HELPING. Like honestly. They announce his name for a assist and they boo, what are you trying to accomplish?

The guy does right things and still gets blamed for wrong doings on the team, that's why he loses a lot of confidence. If I got boo'ed when my name was mentioned in the garden, I would be pissed too.

Every one of our d-men (except maybe Staal) has had a rough patch that lasted too long where they could have been benched. Malik is benched for nothing most games this season, in favor of the crusty Strudwick. Renney's decision is based on "Strudwick being tougher" which is true, yes, but Strudwick is mediocre on defense. Still, I wouldn't boo him. See the trend?

Malik should be in over Strudwick, bottom line.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 10:40 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Agree, many people are too shortsighted to see this.

Are you just as mad at Jagr for not fighting or hitting as you are about Malik not being physical? It's too easy to just single people out. Players can be unique and useful in their own ways.

Agreed. Exactly. And that's what these boards are all about.

When our team loses, I'm the first one to let anyone who hasn't been watching know, but I do it in the sense as it should be done.

The team sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
He obviously isn't that type of player. But with his size and absolute lack of speed, he's not going to be successful playing as if he's 5'11 or 6'0. Especially since his intelligence when controlling the puck is poor to say the least.
I'd say his choices with the puck are his biggest strength, actually. He makes good outlet passes, and is very very patient with the puck. That's a good thing. I don't agree with the quick give and go release.

The problem is, most people read his patience well, and the fast speedy young kids of the NHL will see that, and make it look like a flaw because he will not catch them.

He certainly isn't fast, I think we all can agree on that, but who do we have on this team besides Gomez (or let's even stay at defensemen), what defenseman is speedy? None. Rozsival has a good stride, Staal a bit, Mara can speed up when he needs to, but Tyutin and Girardi, and for the most part, Rozsival and Mara, do not have the speed. Strudwick certainly doesn't.

Old
02-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Chunklee*

Cherapanov,

new york fans will always boo their own players when they play bad its something that they have to deal with as a player playing in new york, and if they cant deal with it too bad, because it will always be that way.

Chunklee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Cherapanov,

new york fans will always boo their own players when they play bad its something that they have to deal with as a player playing in new york, and if they cant deal with it too bad, because it will always be that way.
Yes, NY is a very hard place to play professionally, however, there's a difference between boo'ing when a bad play is made and boo'ing all the damn time.

Old
02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I'd say his choices with the puck are his biggest strength, actually. He makes good outlet passes, and is very very patient with the puck. That's a good thing. I don't agree with the quick give and go release.
Well, Sam and Joe said that when he was playing his best hockey, he was moving the puck quickly. I tend to agree, except he was moving it quickly and smartly. When he plays bad, he holds on to it, loses it, or makes bad passes.

But seriously, why bring up Malik after ever single game...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:

The problem is, most people read his patience well, and the fast speedy young kids of the NHL will see that, and make it look like a flaw because he will not catch them.

He certainly isn't fast, I think we all can agree on that, but who do we have on this team besides Gomez (or let's even stay at defensemen), what defenseman is speedy? None. Rozsival has a good stride, Staal a bit, Mara can speed up when he needs to, but Tyutin and Girardi, and for the most part, Rozsival and Mara, do not have the speed. Strudwick certainly doesn't.
They're not fast, they all have pretty average speed. But Malik almost can't move. He's beyond slow. And it's not just the speedy players who can overmatch him, even players with average speed are able to. That's why, unless you're physical, that size "advantage" ends up being a big negative. If he was average size, he'd be a better player. He wouldn't be as slow (in all likelihood), and his lack of a physical game wouldn't be a problem.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 10:59 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, Sam and Joe said that when he was playing his best hockey, he was moving the puck quickly. I tend to agree, except he was moving it quickly and smartly. When he plays bad, he holds on to it, loses it, or makes bad passes.

But seriously, why bring up Malik after ever single game...
I didn't bring him up. I just defended him, as usual.

I'm a lone individual for the most part (props to Manhattan Blue)..

Old
02-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Yes, NY is a very hard place to play professionally, however, there's a difference between boo'ing when a bad play is made and boo'ing all the damn time.
Well, I'm sure the Knicks are used to it.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Cherapanov,

You could have stopped after the bold.

And they don't have to play poorly to get booed.

02-16-2008, 11:42 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Obviously the game I am not able to watch is the game Avery scored 10 seconds into. And the game they scored 4 goals in 1 period to chase Ryan Miller. At least I got to listen to it. Great performance today and now we need to continue the momentum against the Sharks.

I'll be at the game and it would be nice to actually beat a western team for once.

Nevertheless, a very enjoyable game today and good to see Jags break off the point slump.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I didn't bring him up. I just defended him, as usual.

I'm a lone individual for the most part (props to Manhattan Blue)..
cheraponov there are lots of people who agree with you - it just takes way to much energy to fight the haters.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 11:57 PM
NYROrtsFan

Agree.. And today Malik didn't even have his best game. His typical game there is even far more outlet passes that impress people.

Typically during the game I'll notice a good pass or play, will make myself look back, and find it to be Malik. That main point is why I find myself defending him so much.

Also, don't look now, but another game where Malik plays, another game the Rangers win. WHether it be coincidence or whatever, KEEP HIM OUT THERE. Play him over Strudwick(who did play pretty well this game) or Mara.

This team is just so much deeper/better if Malik is playing with Rozy and Staal is back there with Mara or Strudwick.

Instead, Mara and Strudwick end up forming the slowest, worst passing tandem there is. ANd they aren't physical at all typically despite their size.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:06 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
You could have stopped after the bold.

And they don't have to play poorly to get booed.
No, they just have to be a poor player.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
yeah, booing a guy that has sucked for the whole season really makes you a novice fan. also i guess it makes you a novice fan to boo a guy that refused to shake the head coaches hand.
So when Malik scores a series winning goal in a round of the playoffs, you're going to boo him because "It's Malik. I hate that guy. He sucks." Oh no, he didn't shake the coach's hand. Maybe he's had enough of being booed every game by HIS home crowd and when Renney benched him, he lost his cool. And refusing to shake a coach's hand isn't even close to the worst thing I've heard a player do to a coach / teammate.

Grow up. He's a Ranger. Booing him in your own arena does nothing productive. The only effect it may have is shattering what remaining confidence he does have. I don't like him either, but the guy isn't dogging it. He's better than Dave Karpa was, and I didn't hear anyone specifically booing him whenever he did ANYTHING. Malik is trying to play solid hockey and he has been nothing short of solid lately. Give him a break. How is he supposed to ever turn it around if he even gets booed for doing GOOD things, like getting an assist?

Seriously, grow up. You ARE a novice fan if you're one of the fans booing Malik at every home game. Boo when he actually makes a big mistake that ends up in our net, fine. But, you're treating the guy like **** every game, regardless of how he plays. That's not fair and it's not how supposed "great fans of NY" should act.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:26 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Yeah. That comment really is worthy of conversation, try backing up your statements or replying to one of the many contributing posts in the past page or so.

Old
02-17-2008, 02:03 AM
mti79

Again, you wear the Ranger sweater. You wear the red, white and blue of the New York Rangers and I am a New York Ranger fan and I will cheer for you. If you make a big time mistake, I will boo and let you know you made a mistake. But if you contribute to the well being of the team, I'll cheer. I'll stand up, clap and yell. I don't care if you made mistakes in the past, I'll cheer you for what you just did. I support MY TEAM. I'll boo Poti, Holik, or anyone else on opposing teams I feel deserve it. I will not jeer a player on my team. I still think that Marek Malik can be a productive member of this year's team. If he steps it up, makes good outlet passes and can help limit the other team's chances like he did tonight, I'll cheer. Give the guy a break. Nobody on this team is perfect. Even the King himself has given up some soft "oh my those are awful" goals but we still cheer him. Root for the jersey, no matter who wears it.

Wear the NYR sweater, I WILL cheer for you. Let's Go Rangers!

mti79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Pizza

Quote:
He was just saying that we have a long way to go since pretty much the youngest guy on the team was the best player out there.
Ya see, that's just it, he just might be the best player we have. We may not have that far to go at all.

He's certainly making the ballsiest plays and wearing a winning, confident attitude.
Who cares how old he is? This guy gets it and he wants it...bad.

If he's this good of a leader now, imagine where he'll be in a couple of years.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Chunklee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
So when Malik scores a series winning goal in a round of the playoffs, you're going to boo him because "It's Malik. I hate that guy. He sucks." Oh no, he didn't shake the coach's hand. Maybe he's had enough of being booed every game by HIS home crowd and when Renney benched him, he lost his cool. And refusing to shake a coach's hand isn't even close to the worst thing I've heard a player do to a coach / teammate.

Grow up. He's a Ranger. Booing him in your own arena does nothing productive. The only effect it may have is shattering what remaining confidence he does have. I don't like him either, but the guy isn't dogging it. He's better than Dave Karpa was, and I didn't hear anyone specifically booing him whenever he did ANYTHING. Malik is trying to play solid hockey and he has been nothing short of solid lately. Give him a break. How is he supposed to ever turn it around if he even gets booed for doing GOOD things, like getting an assist?

Seriously, grow up. You ARE a novice fan if you're one of the fans booing Malik at every home game. Boo when he actually makes a big mistake that ends up in our net, fine. But, you're treating the guy like **** every game, regardless of how he plays. That's not fair and it's not how supposed "great fans of NY" should act.
first off i havent booed malik, if you bothered to read the thread you could see i have stated that, i simply just dont agree with the statement that a fan booing malik makes them a novice one. also, dont you mean to say IF malik scores a game winning goal, and IF he did i would cheer for him, i dont have this deep hatred for malik inside me that will always be there, i simply call them like i see them and right now i am calling malik a big time scrub who sucks, but if he was to ever turn it around and start playing good then i would change my mind on him.

btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8HMSf4O2FM

Chunklee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 06:56 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
novice?

Its freaking braindead...

We are 9th in the standings. We are playing the 8th team. We come out streaking on the ice and get a 2-0 lead after just 4 minutes.

Then Malik gets on the ice the next shift and what happends -- a ton of booing.

What da fack?

Do you guys care about the team at all??????? Seriously? Like the booes in the PO's last season. There are some out there who still cares about the team and I get so freaking annoyed at punks like you whod put the pleasure of haunting someone ahead of supporting this team-
Why the surprise?

Stupid people do stupid things.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
NY has a history of this. See future Baseball HOF's Mike Piazza and Alex Rodriguez.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:02 AM
polako

abev,

don't forget about Rivera and Jeter!

polako is offline   Reply With Quote