HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames: Sellers, Buyers or Standing Pat

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do?
Sellers 7 28.00%
Buyers 10 40.00%
Standing Pat (Nothing) 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2008, 01:54 AM
  #1
Hyde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,417
vCash: 500
Flames: Sellers, Buyers or Standing Pat

Okay, I guess the title should say it all, but since the Trade Deadline is fast approaching. I wanted to gauge where everyone is regarding what the Flames should or shouldn't do.

Personally, I have been going back and forth, there are times when I want everyone who isn't a core player moved, there are times when I want some one brought in and there are times when I don't want the Flames to do anything, as I can't see a move that would benefit them.

What about the rest of you?


Last edited by Hyde: 02-16-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 08:58 AM
  #2
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Okay, I guess the title should say it all, but since the Trade Deadline is fast approaching. I wanted to gauge where everyone is regarding what the Flames should or shouldn't do.

Personally, I have been going back and forth, there are times when I want everyone who isn't a core player moved, there are times when I want some one brought in and there are times when I don't want the Flames to do anything, as I can't see a move that would benefit them.

What about the rest of you?
From an outsiders perspective, I don't know how the idea of being a Seller or Buyer is even debatable. Sitting in the 6th position, having one game in hand on Nashville (7th) and 4 on Anaheim (5th 71pts). If Calgary is a seller, than count Minnesota/Anaheim/San Jose/Nashville....hell everyone not named Detroit/Dallas in too.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
  #3
RazorRamon
Registered User
 
RazorRamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
I think the Flames should be sellers...in a way. Trade guys like Huselius and Langkow to teams who are willing to severely overpay for them for a playoff run, but get younger (signed) roster players in return who can help us for both the playoffs and next season (and beyond).

RazorRamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
  #4
flamesfan12
Registered User
 
flamesfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beaumont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzie View Post
I think the Flames should be sellers...in a way. Trade guys like Huselius and Langkow to teams who are willing to severely overpay for them for a playoff run, but get younger (signed) roster players in return who can help us for both the playoffs and next season (and beyond).

This is what I am thinking as well. The only potential problem is if we don't get enough for them and end up missing the playoffs. And that is something that Sutter just won't let happen. We can't afford to miss the playoffs. These games before the deadline are going to be huge and will ultimately decide what Sutter should do.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
  #5
ArizonaGreenTea
Registered User
 
ArizonaGreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
The Flames are likely buyers, if they're going to buy anything. Unfortunately, with the amount of teams still in the race for the playoffs this close to the deadline, it is a seller's market. The Flames will likely have to drastically overpay to gain anything that will improve their chances at a solid cup run.

I'd prefer if they stood pat.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:18 PM
  #6
cross16
Registered User
 
cross16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
I don't believe their either. There not buyers because I don't believe there in a position to deal away picks in such a deep and good draft, and their farm system can't handle losing top end prospects. There also not sellers because I still see them making the playoffs and aslong as you make the playoffs your in.

Position A, would see them improve now while giving up a pending UFA. Ie, try to move Huselius to someone that helps now and next year.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:02 PM
  #7
ComixZone
Registered User
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
making a trade for a rental would be a serious mistake. Making a trade for someone who will better the team or change its dynamic to a more positive work-ethic based team, that should be done.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:40 PM
  #8
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
The Flames should be buyers, especially being that they're still in the mix. And by buyers, I don't necessarily mean making a spash at the trade deadline (ie. Sundin). The last thing I want to see is Sutter handover a bunch of young prospects/roster players for a rental. I believe this team needs a puck moving defenceman and a top 6 forward to add to the scoring. If Sutter can acquire that, and if this team can get their heads out of their ***** and start playing like they want to win, we should be alright.

Keenan's hiring should be an indication that Sutter wants to go for it this year.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 06:21 PM
  #9
KiwiFlamesFan
Registered User
 
KiwiFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Buyers. Sutter has a goal and that is to win now.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 08:13 PM
  #10
Grannys
Registered User
 
Grannys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
Defiently Buyers!! The unconsistent play that the Flames are showing is enough want to shake the team a bit. Someone needs to go and someone needs to come, the dynamic is working well enough. Im suprised players like Huselius arent showing more energy out there considering they probably know that they are on the trading block. But maybe he wants a move...

Anyway, something needs to happen to shake the team and wake them up a bit. Last nights game against LA was just pathetic.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 08:21 PM
  #11
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Im suprised players like Huselius arent showing more energy out there considering they probably know that they are on the trading block.

Huselius is just being himself. This inconsistant act is nothing new. When he's on, he's a great player. When he's off, he's next to invisible. I'd love to see him traded if it could land us someone not as flashy but grittier, who shows up on a regular basis.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 08:44 PM
  #12
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
I don't think we're contenders, unless this team can really get their act together. We'll probably make the playoffs, at around the 6th or 7th position, where we'll probably face one of: SJ, Dallas, Anaheim or Minnesota. We could probably beat Minnesota and maybe SJ, but the rest will be tough as hell to win. The only person I could see making a difference is Sundin where we might be contenders then, but we'll have to severely overpay and that's something we can't do unless we want to be screwed in our prospect pool for the coming years.

I say we should try and trade: Huselius, Warrener and Primeau.

Atlanta might want Juice for replacing Hossa and they might overpay like they did last year, Warrener and Preems could go to teams like Buffalo or Dallas, for grit and depth.

So technically we're kind of sellers, but this is selling to get better for the future and now, not strictly for the future.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 05:50 AM
  #13
Snoil11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
After some sleep, I revisited the past weeks and in particular last night's game and came up with the following conclusions:
This year's Flames team won't contend for the cup. We have all the ingredients on paper, but the team cannot display its talent on a regular basis and I pretty much doubt, that things will change when POs start. They are capable to do great things and go on streaks, but POs require consistency rather than streaks (assumed, that the Flames won't go on a 17-game winning streak ).
Thus said, the Flames need some major improvements respectively have to make some major changes to contend and it is common sense among Flames' fans, that we don't have the prospect depth to go after the top players, which are needed to having a lasting effect on this team.
On the other hand, this year's trade deadline poses a great chance for the Flames, cause this year's trade deadline will be a seller's market. We have lots of veteran players and pending UFA, that are supposed to leave Calgary in the summer, so trading them at the deadline may give us the chance to acquire some great NHL-ready prospects, who could supplement our core for the upcoming years and enhance our chances to win a cup in the future, on the cost of giving up this year's PO-run (but as I said above, I doubt, that it would last that long with the current team either).

Thus said, the worst case would be to stand pat IMO, cause we'd both waste a great chance to form our future and squander this year's undisputed, but cranky talent.

With all that being said, I'd advocate to sell at the deadline, although I believe (and hence voted so) that Sutter will buy and I am very curious to see, what happens at the deadline.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
  #14
calgarylen13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Roskilde
Country: San Marino
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
After some sleep, I revisited the past weeks and in particular last night's game and came up with the following conclusions:
This year's Flames team won't contend for the cup. We have all the ingredients on paper, but the team cannot display its talent on a regular basis and I pretty much doubt, that things will change when POs start. They are capable to do great things and go on streaks, but POs require consistency rather than streaks (assumed, that the Flames won't go on a 17-game winning streak ).
Thus said, the Flames need some major improvements respectively have to make some major changes to contend and it is common sense among Flames' fans, that we don't have the prospect depth to go after the top players, which are needed to having a lasting effect on this team.
On the other hand, this year's trade deadline poses a great chance for the Flames, cause this year's trade deadline will be a seller's market. We have lots of veteran players and pending UFA, that are supposed to leave Calgary in the summer, so trading them at the deadline may give us the chance to acquire some great NHL-ready prospects, who could supplement our core for the upcoming years and enhance our chances to win a cup in the future, on the cost of giving up this year's PO-run (but as I said above, I doubt, that it would last that long with the current team either).

Thus said, the worst case would be to stand pat IMO, cause we'd both waste a great chance to form our future and squander this year's undisputed, but cranky talent.

With all that being said, I'd advocate to sell at the deadline, although I believe (and hence voted so) that Sutter will buy and I am very curious to see, what happens at the deadline.
I have to agree with that. There aren't many teams selling this year. Capitalize on that, try and get as much as we can for next season, so we are prepared. Even still, say we trade 2/3 regular players or younger NHL ready prospects/players, there is nobody saying they'd crash. It just might be what lights a spark under the arse of this team, and get them playing better. Its by no means lights out for this season, but gives us something to build on for next year.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
  #15
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,295
vCash: 500
Let's say you guys end up being sellers. Who would be on the list of players that would be available?

All pending UFA's and Tanguay?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
  #16
Congo
Registered User
 
Congo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
If the Flames end up as sellers, I think Tanguay will pointedly NOT be available. Huselius is gone next year. That's pretty much a given. As such, we need a 1st line left winger. Thus, Tanguay sticks around.

Aside from Kipper, Iggy, Tanguay, Reghr, and Phaneuf, everyone is replaceable and expendable.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 04:13 PM
  #17
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Let's say you guys end up being sellers. Who would be on the list of players that would be available?

All pending UFA's and Tanguay?
The reason we wanted to trade Tanguay was so we could sign those pending UFA's.

I think it's all of this year's UFA's and some of next years like Aucoin, Warrener and Primeau

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
  #18
Snoil11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Aucoin would have to waive his NTC again, which I deem highly unlikely, so you can take him off the list.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 05:43 PM
  #19
Miko
Registered User
 
Miko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post

I think it's all of this year's UFA's and some of next years like Aucoin, Warrener and Primeau
Primeau signed a 3 year deal last june and his contract expires at the end of the 09/10 season.Definitely not one of the flames better contracts and i wouldn't mind seeing him traded,mainly for cap space but i can't see any team wanting him.I could think of better options for the flames to use that 1.4 mil on thats for sure.

As for buyers and sellers i think the flames will try to land a big fish but the asking price might be more than what Daryl Sutter is willing to give up.I think the cost of a high profile rental will be through the roof this year.

I could see Sutter dangling Tanguay or Huselius and maybe even Warrener as some trade bait.I sure hope we still have Boyd,Backlund,Irving and our first after the trade deadline.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
  #20
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
If the Flames lose the Phoenix and Dallas games w/o getting any points then I think Darryl Sutter has to look at being a seller.

Just saw that LA got a 3rd round draft pick for Jaroslav Modry, a 3rd pairing defenseman. Quite an overpayment for a guy like Modry.

With Forsberg out and so many no trade clauses it is definitely turning into a seller's market and Sutter could come out of the selling mode with a few extra first round picks and some good young players.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
  #21
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Well 4 big points so Sutter is definitely a buyer now. Does anyone think he can actually trade for Sundin, Jokinen or Hossa?? Jokinen is the only one I would want as he is signed for two more years but he would be costly.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
  #22
Wags
Registered User
 
Wags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Just saw that LA got a 3rd round draft pick for Jaroslav Modry, a 3rd pairing defenseman. Quite an overpayment for a guy like Modry.
You must be disgusted by Sutter trading a 3rd for Vandermeer then!

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
  #23
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Jokinen is the only one I would want as he is signed for two more years but he would be costly.

I second that. If Sutter is gonna pay big (which he will if he acquires any of those players), I'd really hope it wouldn't be for a rental.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
  #24
Congo
Registered User
 
Congo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
I think Sutter's just going to do his usual tweaks before the playoffs.

I.E. A top 4 defenceman, a depth guy, and a depth forward.

Last year: Stuart, Hale, Primeau.

Cup run year: Commodore, Ference, Nilsson


I mean, the most we're going to see is probably Marcel Hossa or someone, and if there's a big acquisition it will probably be a defenceman.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
  #25
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
The Fan 960 re-played an interview this afternoon Peter Maher did with Darryl Sutter during intermission from last night's game, and one of the things Sutter mentioned was that he didn't plan on making any trades/moves that didn't benefit the future of this team.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.